Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia N900

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

My 5310 has bitten the dust, really hope they start shipping these here soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Engadget is reporting that Amazon.com is selling this for 480 dollars. That's under 330 euro. An insane price and a great offer if you've friends or family that could help out.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭RobbieM

BIG TIP: if you order from the US e X pansys site you can avoid paying the VAT!

there you go, my big secret is out now!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

RobbieM wrote: »
    BIG TIP: if you order from the US e X pansys site you can avoid paying the VAT!

there you go, my big secret is out now!!
    They wont deliver to Ireland. And if they do, I think they're breaking some laws, and as well as that you will 100% definitely be hit for tax once it gets here.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Speaking of America, the price on amazon.com dropped to $479 after rebate. That's €322 :(:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Engadget is reporting that Amazon.com is selling this for 480 dollars. That's under 330 euro.

Just checked my Amazon.com account and that price is after rebate, which we can't avail of as we are not in the US. Also, it is still showing as pre-order only.

So the price is $530 - that works out at 356 Euro before shipping.

Time to ditch the iPhone, methinks. :D

Jim wrote: »
    They wont deliver to Ireland. And if they do, I think they're breaking some laws, and as well as that you will 100% definitely be hit for tax once it gets here.
    You might be right. I did order from the dollar version of the site. But It will be shipping from the UK.

What is the mechanism for the tax being applied once it 'gets here'?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

You get a letter from the courier company/An Post/whoever saying that your package will be released upon payment of a sum of money.

And from what I read in the papers and here on Boards, practically everything from outside the EU is being caught in these harsh economic times.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭donkey balls

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    You get a letter from the courier company/An Post/whoever saying that your package will be released upon payment of a sum of money.

And from what I read in the papers and here on Boards, practically everything from outside the EU is being caught in these harsh economic times.

how it works lads before you start giving out to the courier companies about paying extra $$$$. is they pay the duties&taxes on your behalf to the revenue and then they recoup the money of you.
    also use the cheapest shipping option(making sure its registered) as you pay D&T on the shipping costs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Tzetze

Got an update from customer service at phonesonline.ie
    We don't have a definite date for release in Ireland yet. Although some
    countries have started to receive shipments, the UK/Ireland market will not
    receive their allocation until next week.

Apparently Nokia Retail in the UK have exclusivity for the first shipment,
    and they have sold out already with pre-orders, so it is unlikely that we
    will receive the phone within the next ten days, unfortunately.

I will keep you updated on developments, as these dates are estimates and
    are subject to change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

You might be right. I did order from the dollar version of the site. But It will be shipping from the UK.

Wait a minute, if it ships from the UK then it originated in the EU. Therefore EU VAT has already been paid (by either you or the company) and you shouldn't have to pay VAT or duty on arrival here. Am I missing something? :confused:

Edit: Although it costs $700 on Expansys-usa.com anyway so it's not that good a deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

Engadget is reporting that Amazon.com is selling this for 480 dollars. That's under 330 euro. An insane price and a great offer if you've friends or family that could help out.

Sim free?

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭LK1

I got this late this week from clove.co.uk about my n900 order

Thank you for your e-mail. We appreciate that the date being moved is frustrating, unfortunately it is something that is out of our control and lies with Nokia. We have not had any further information other then it is due late December. Being completely honest, we think there is a chance that they may not arrive before December 25th. We advise leaving your order in place in case they do arrive earlier. You are able to cancel at any point, so if you manage to find something else in the meantime. Please advise us as to what you would like us to do with your pre-order at this time? Regards Sales Team Clove Technology TEL: +44 (0)1202 552936FAX: +44 (0)1202 552937

Not sure what to do now, whether to jump to another shop or not.
    My other half was getting this for me as Christmas pressie

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Tzetze wrote: »
    Got an update from customer service at phonesonline.ie

That site seems horribly expensive for phones comparing prices to ones on sale here. Any ideas on the final price of n900 over here anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Tzetze

Venom wrote: »
    That site seems horribly expensive for phones comparing prices to ones on sale here. Any ideas on the final price of n900 over here anyone?

Am I missing something obvious? Where's here? :pac:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Hold on a sec. You paid for it on amazon.com but it will be shipping from the uk. Are you in Ireland. If so how did you arrange this? I'd love to know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭PhilCurran

Tom Dunne wrote: »

Are they checking personal packages, ie. if I get a mate in New York to get it for me and then send it on as a present?

PhilCurran wrote: »
    Are they checking personal packages, ie. if I get a mate in New York to get it for me and then send it on as a present?

Customs are well wide to the "presents" from non EU countries :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

PhilCurran wrote: »
    4. Gift Consignments

4.1 General

Relief from payment of Customs Duty and VAT is allowed on gifts consigned to an individual living in Ireland, from outside of the EC, provided the Customs value (this is the value of the goods plus insurance and freight (which includes postage) costs (CIF value)) of the goods does not exceed €45.

And they'll be checking. Revenue is desperate for any money it can get at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I might be in the states soon, what would the deal on buying one over there be? Would it work on our networks with the the various phone companies data plans, connection settings etc?:confused: Might be a bit of a thick question I know

• Advertisement

Hold on a sec. You paid for it on amazon.com but it will be shipping from the uk. Are you in Ireland. If so how did you arrange this? I'd love to know.

No from e X p a n s y s

700 U.S. dollars = 468.886061 Euros

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭joedumper

Just off the phone there with vodafone.

They were planning to have it before christmas, but it's now looking like it'll be the new year apparently.

So sim-free is the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Customs do check a lot of packages. Had a friend send me an iPhone from US before and got caught for nearly €100.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

No from e X p a n s y s

700 U.S. dollars = 468.886061 Euros

Damn, that is tempting. If it's being shipped from the UK then you should pay no extra charges on it. Let me know how you get on with this as I might treat myself to one. :)

Damn, that is tempting. If it's being shipped from the UK then you should pay no extra charges on it. Let me know how you get on with this as I might treat myself to one. :)

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 46 bren32

Some advice please.

Can I purchases this from Amazon.com using my Irish credit card and get it shipped to a US address? I have a friend that will be there over Christmas and could bring it back for me.

Is the American version of the N900 different than the EU version? Bands etc. Would there be any disadvantage in owning a NAM model apart from the lack of warranty?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Order's are now shipping from Nokia.co.uk.

Just reading a thread on AVforums, people saying they got dispatch emails.

Amazon still saying 29th...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

god's toy wrote: »
    Order's are now shipping from Nokia.co.uk.

Just reading a thread on AVforums, people saying they got dispatch emails.

Amazon still saying 29th...

I emailed amazon yesterday asking about it and they said to still expect delivery around the 4th December

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭lunacyfoundme

I might be in the states soon, what would the deal on buying one over there be? Would it work on our networks with the the various phone companies data plans, connection settings etc? Might be a bit of a thick question I know

The American versions of the phone doesnt not have the ability to use European 3G? Just a thought. Thought I read something like that somewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

The American versions of the phone doesnt not have the ability to use European 3G? Just a thought. Thought I read something like that somewhere.

I don't think this is true but I'm not 100% sure

Advertisement