Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia N900

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

The item below is now in stock and this portion of your order has been released for processing. If the quantity below isn't the total quantity ordered then the remaining quantity will be released when additional stock is available.

Quantity Description 1 Nokia N900
    We provide online order tracking at: http://shop.nokia.co.uk/nokia-uk/ordersummary.aspx. Tracking information is posted to the site the following business day (Monday-Friday) after the product has shipped.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Four of a kind

whats the story of this been available in ireland...unbranded? When exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

whats the story of this been available in ireland...unbranded? When exactly?

probably jan or feb if we are lucky

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭joedumper

I had that one too Matrim....
    you're not out of the woods yet :P

but with your method ,,, you should be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭RobbieM

My expansys was to ship today but has been pushed to 4 days.

I expect this pattern up to the 16th / 17th like all other sites.

Can it be bought over the counter in the UK?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭bala

Going to the States in December and had Pre-ordered from Amazon ($529 and $50 Mail in Rebate). Got the Shipping date confirmation today 9th Dec ... Yipeeee

• Registered Users Posts: 3,705 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Big Sis ordered mine and will make a nice xmas gift:D But I have to pay her for it :rolleyes:

Order Date 03/12/2009 12:18 CET Order Number ******** Order Total £499.00
    Nokia Corporation, Keilalahdentie 4, 02150 Espoo, Finland Business Identity Code 0112038-9 UK VAT Number 779064390

If your order is submitted and approved by 1.30PM it will be sent the same day. Nokia UK Online Shop does not make Weekend deliveries.
    If you would like to contact a customer service representative, please call 0845 0455555, Mon-Fri 9 am - 5 pm (except bank and public holidays).

Pity I aint going over for a Gunners game before xmas but now of to cancel my Amazon order

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Ok, just noticed this - the shop listed on page is about one mile from me here. :eek:

Must take a trip in over the weekend. I'd love to play around with it before committing.

No grouping of contacts for text mgs on this phone and there's no portrait view for texting...you have to do it in landscape mode using the physical keyboard....load of crap tbh.
    Why do that do a touch screen device?

this is a small internet tablet, like it's predecessors,
    which is what the majority of it's buyers want;

only this iteration happens to have cellular capability, a major bonus.

I don't think the above actually bothers most people.
    Those who really need those bits can stick with the symbian based dedicated phones.

• Advertisement

joedumper wrote: »
    this is a small internet tablet, like it's predecessors,
    which is what the majority of it's buyers want;

only this iteration happens to have cellular capability, a major bonus.

I don't think the above actually bothers most people.
    Those who really need those bits can stick with the symbian based dedicated phones.

Surly though...it can't be a big deal to include such a function as group sms?
    I understand where Nokia are going with the type phone...but i'm sure to have all the basic telephone functions installed can't be that difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

If i can quote Dr Rod Doom for another thread that he just posted in looking at the difference between n900 and n97mini

Nokia does not have any phone support for the N900 since this is the first time that maemo has had calling functionality. this is a total different OS aswell so they cant just copy and paste the code over. needs to be ported.
    Look at the N97 Mini, it's the newer version of the N97 which ironed out all the hardware bugs of the original N97. The only drawback is the 3.2 inch screen compared to 3.5 and 8Gb storage instead of 32Gb. Otoh you get better RAM, mature firmware out-of-the-box, and better build quality

The N900 is an Internet Tablet that had the phone functionality added to it. The Maemo operating system family it uses has only been used for Tablets up to now, and that's why a lot of the basic phone functions are missing. They'll be added later, but knowing Nokia it will take at least 6 months to a year before it has a relatively mature phone system in it.

Having said that, I'm waiting on my pre-ordered N900, and fully expect it to be the greatest shiny toy I've ever owned

Right, so I got to touch one today. Ahem. :o

They wouldn't switch the damn thing on for me, for some reason, but they would let me hold it (it was a display model in a reputable shop, if you were to buy one, you get a brand new, unopened box, with a full warranty, the sales assistant told me).

Anyway, my first impressions with the device were meh. It's extremely light in comparison to my 1st gen iPhone and somewhat thicker. It seems a little flimsy, but when I slid out the keyboard, I just couldn't take to it (again, this is probably a little unfair since it wasn't switched on). I don't know, maybe it's the fact that I am so used to the iPhone, but it just didn't feel right. However, I reckon it would sit right in a trouser pocket.

It worked out at 420 Euro at today's exchange rate.

I am going to try another shop over the weekend to see if I can see one in operation. I reckon this might change my opinion. :)

More anon.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭LK1

Are you sure about the Uk visa being required to order ??

I put my order through with my Mastercard,
    though i did put down the shipping and my own address as being in NI ( my mates house ).

My order was just updated saying they have the item in stock, and are proceeding with processing :D

I have an expansys.co.uk order and was a bit worried so thought I might order online and get it delivered to a friend in Enniskillen through nokia.co.uk. The site will only allow valid postcode for credit card address in UK and when I entered delivery one the Country came up as UK which is not on my ccard billing address. Rang credit card company to tell them to accept it an they said they it wouldnt go through unless the address was exactly the same(even if a letter was missing) anyhow rang nokia sales to change the c.card address to the right one and they told me they dont accept non UK credit cards. Back to waiting for expansys!

Liam

I have an expansys.co.uk order and was a bit worried so thought I might order online and get it delivered to a friend in Enniskillen through nokia.co.uk. The site will only allow valid postcode for credit card address in UK and when I entered delivery one the Country came up as UK which is not on my ccard billing address. Rang credit card company to tell them to accept it an they said they it wouldnt go through unless the address was exactly the same(even if a letter was missing) anyhow rang nokia sales to change the c.card address to the right one and they told me they dont accept non UK credit cards. Back to waiting for expansys!

Join the club !

What you need is a mate thats willing to put it on his CC aswell as take delivery.
    Tricky thing to ask someone for, but hopefully worth it.

Join the club !

What you need is a mate thats willing to put it on his CC aswell as take delivery.
    Tricky thing to ask someone for, but hopefully worth it.

Yeah Joe. This is my third attempt to try and get before Christmas. I was with clove.co.uk but they moved to late December and told me that prob wouldn't get it before then. Not sure if my contact is friend enough for me to ask him for his credit card details. Have a brother in the states though.
    but think the keyboard in the US is different.Anyhow US site is out of stock!:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

hey guys im thinking of buying one of these what site would ye recommend to order from?

Santa !

I reckon he's the only one that could get one as far as ireland before christmans !! :D

if you want it before christmas, getting someone in uk to order it for you with their cc to their address from nokia.co.uk is the only way i see working.

Expansys and amazon both have shipping dates this side of christmas , but i wouldn't hold my breath as they've been pushing them out incrementally for a long time.

Vodafone IE will be picking it up in the new year.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭RobbieM

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Right, so I got to touch one today. Ahem. :o

They wouldn't switch the damn thing on for me, for some reason, but they would let me hold it (it was a display model in a reputable shop, if you were to buy one, you get a brand new, unopened box, with a full warranty, the sales assistant told me).

Anyway, my first impressions with the device were meh. It's extremely light in comparison to my 1st gen iPhone and somewhat thicker. It seems a little flimsy, but when I slid out the keyboard, I just couldn't take to it (again, this is probably a little unfair since it wasn't switched on). I don't know, maybe it's the fact that I am so used to the iPhone, but it just didn't feel right. However, I reckon it would sit right in a trouser pocket.

It worked out at 420 Euro at today's exchange rate.

I am going to try another shop over the weekend to see if I can see one in operation. I reckon this might change my opinion. :)

More anon.

WHERE? :-) ;)

Santa !

I reckon he's the only one that could get one as far as ireland before christmans !! :D

if you want it before christmas, getting someone in uk to order it for you with their cc to their address from nokia.co.uk is the only way i see working.

Expansys and amazon both have shipping dates this side of christmas , but i wouldn't hold my breath as they've been pushing them out incrementally for a long time.

Vodafone IE will be picking it up in the new year.

Is it available on Nokia.co.uk yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭SoundWave

Ok, just noticed this - the shop listed on page is about one mile from me here. :eek:

Must take a trip in over the weekend. I'd love to play around with it before committing.
    RobbieM wrote: »

Dubai by the sounds of it... :)

Is it available on Nokia.co.uk yet?

Short answer yes. but you will need a UK delivery address and a credit card with a UK address.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Could you use an Entropay virtual card - set up a Uk address on it?

Could you use an Entropay virtual card - set up a Uk address on it?

On their FAQ it says you can pay by Maestro debit card, Visa or Mastercard. Nothing about any third parties not even paypal.I doubt it if its not stated as a payment method but I dont know much about Entropay tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭lunacyfoundme

Do Entropay also do fake English addresses? Cause that would be super awesome ; )

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

So Without me reading 34 pages of this, could anyone summarize what the story with this is?
    Is any Irish carrier, eh carrying it?
    Or if you have to buy it unlocked is anywhere actually selling to ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭lunacyfoundme

So Without me reading 34 pages of this, could anyone summarize what the story with this is?
    Is any Irish carrier, eh carrying it?
    Or if you have to buy it unlocked is anywhere actually selling to ireland?

Preorders seem to be getting posted from the Nokia online stores but from nowhere else. To get it from Nokia you need a UK CCard and postal address. Vodafone are carrying it but itll prob be January before they get it instores.

Ive ordered mine for Expansys.co.uk, they will deliver to Ireland but they ask ed me for proof of residence eg payslip, utility bill. The date has slipped several times but I read a post saying the current estimate 6 days is the fianl one and they should have it then. You could also try colve.co.uk (late december).

As far as I know no retail stores have it yet and prob wont have it til the new year.

RobbieM wrote: »
    SoundWave wrote: »
    Dubai by the sounds of it... :)

Sorry, I'm in Bahrain. By the sounds of it, a few shops have it out here, so hopefully I will be able to try it out.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Sorry, I'm in Bahrain. By the sounds of it, a few shops have it out here, so hopefully I will be able to try it out.

Let us know how you get on. €400 is a savage price for it. If I could get one at that price I'd probably go for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Big P

LK1 wrote: »
    Short answer yes. but you will need a UK delivery address and a credit card with a UK address.

I'm happy to report: WRONG!

I ordered my N900 on Saturday Nov 28th with my EBS VISA card from nokia.co.uk and it was delivered to my sisters house in London today (used same address for billing, but with my name). The confirmation email said expected delivery of 3-4 weeks, so I was pleasantly surprised!

Should have it in my hands early next week :)

Advertisement