Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia N900

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 voteforlee

I wonder what the story eill be with pricing. I heard its coming in at €549 but they could hardly keep the n97 at €529 if thats the case, a drop too about €429 would be cool for the n97

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

If Nokia don't have the resources to put into Symbian to bring it up to the standard of the competition then why are they investing in Maemo? Why not go with Android save the money. Seems a little crazy to have yet another mobile platform.

To me Nokia's great strenght is the hardware. Yes they are a little slow to adopt new technologies but when they do they do it well. Why not concentrate on the hardware and leave the OS to someone else.

My 2 cents.
    voteforlee wrote: »
    I wonder what the story eill be with pricing. I heard its coming in at €549 but they could hardly keep the n97 at €529 if thats the case, a drop too about €429 would be cool for the n97

• Registered Users Posts: 46 bren32

Engadget has it that it will cost €500, will be surprised if we get it for that price.

Look like a great device, the only problem I see with it is that it seems everything except calling is done in landscape mode.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Dankoozy

elderlemon wrote: »
    If Nokia don't have the resources to put into Symbian to bring it up to the standard of the competition then why are they investing in Maemo? Why not go with Android save the money. Seems a little crazy to have yet another mobile platform.

Maemo uses more open-source stuff than android and should be less trouble to maintain for them.

android uses the linux kernel and a few other things but is written mostly by google and for google to push their web services. yea it happens to use the linux kernel but really it's just to make google richer so i can see why other companies would stay away from it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

bren32 wrote: »
    Look like a great device, the only problem I see with it is that it seems everything except calling is done in landscape mode.

Yea I don't like that fact either, hopefully it will offer both view modes.

It should, I think, I mean this is still marketed as a phone that is also an MID so it should offer portrait.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭jessconr

If Nokia are going with the new Linux based software I hope they stick with it. I can picture myself buying this beast but my only worry is that nokia will again go with Symbian with further smartphone releases and I'll be stuck with a great phone that lacks cool applications because developers won't bother introduce software to a tiny Linux market where Symbian, Android etc will be more lucrative.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭PADRAIC.M

oh sweet jesus! This has the potential to go leaps and bounds in front of competitors! Hope it comes to O2 or VF

• Registered Users Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Was thinking of getting the N97 but after seeing this baby I have suddenly changed my mind. :D

Realistically what are the chances that any of the Irish operators, particularly 02 will have this in October? Will I get the same 'its in testing' and it wont be here till Christmas from their customer service

In the states in Nov so may have a look over there

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭PH4T

PADRAIC.M wrote: »
    oh sweet jesus! This has the potential to go leaps and bounds in front of competitors! Hope it comes to O2 or VF

LOL poor old Vodafone. We berated them for not carrying the N97. They change their policy and bring it in and now none of us want it.

Let's start abusing them for not carrying the N900 now. To the Vodafone forums!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I hear they are releasing a N900 mini ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

I hear they are releasing a N900 mini ;)

yeah without maemo!!!!! just s60v5:)

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭PH4T

CyberGhost wrote: »
    Here's a review with tons of pictures of N900.
    http://mobile-review.com/review/nokia-rx51-n900-en.shtml

It says there that the N900 's build quality is on par with that of the Nokia E75.

Does that imply that it's build quality is inferior to the N97?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

PH4T wrote: »
    It says there that the N900 's build quality is on par with that of the Nokia E75.

Does that imply that it's build quality is inferior to the N97?

I liked the build quality of the E75 and thought it was really good, so if the N900 is comparative, it sounds good for it. Here's another review I found of the E75 build quality http://noknok.tv/2009/04/24/nokia-e75-build-quality-review/

I'm quite excited about this, I'm not that big a fan of touch screen phones but I have to say this one has me excited. The size \ quality looks good. The specs look great and the fact that it is really linux based (and supports reasonably easy porting of standard linux based desktop apps) means that if it gets enough support and Nokia keep using the platform it has great potential.

Although, I'll probably wait until proper user reviews after release before deciding if I want to get it because of the likelihood of at least some issues on the first release

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Yep this is looking to be a really nice bit of kit! it's on my 'I want it NOW! List.
    I just hope Nokia don't do what they did with N97 and let the under powered hardware kill any chance of it being everything it could be. If they don't this is going to be class!

I was just about to give up on Nokia but this is tickling my geek buds like no other phone out there!

Keep your eyes on http://www.guenstiger.de/ If you know anyone in Germany then get them to order it, I'll be getting a friend there to order it for me as soon as its out.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I really like this. Too expensive for me though. Hopefully I'll be able to pick one up a bit cheaper on adverts or ebay not too long after release. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭foobar

Read this on allaboutsymbain .. highlights include an s60 emulator !!!
    http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum/showthread.php?t=87377&page=8

For those of you who don't know, here are a few tidbits that make this phone awesome.
    - You can load any variant of ARM linux, meaning you can load Ubuntu or Android if you want, there's are versions that run on the Nokia N810.
    - The N900 will have an s60 emulator so it will be somewhat backwards compatible with s60 apps
    - I saw this quite often asked, but yea, the N900 has an FM Receiver and Transmitter, so you can listen to FM radio and transmit music to your car stereo
    - Did I mention that it's fully open linux? No HelloOX, no hacking, you have the full operating system at your disposal. It comes with a terminal with root capabilities.
    - The N900 will be upgradable to the next version of Maemo, Maemo 6, as every internet tablet has had a guaranteed support for at least 2 future OS's.
    - N900 has a PowerVR SGX, Opengl ES 2.0, do i have to say more?
    - N900 will support usb HOST!, just like the n810, meaning you can plug in usb drives, hard drives, usb mice, etc. Any usb peripheral will work!
    - The N900 is truly powerful, if you have seen the demo video you'll see during the application switcher that programs are updated IN REAL TIME while your switching applications! Video keeps on playing and you can see it WHILE you're alt tabbing, like in windows vista/7

Nice.

why can't they put this on the n97 hardware? For me the n900 is just too big.
    foobar wrote: »
    http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum/showthread.php?t=87377&page=8oo

For those of you who don't know, here are a few tidbits that make this phone awesome.
    - You can load any variant of ARM linux, meaning you can load Ubuntu or Android if you want, there's are versions that run on the Nokia N810.
    - The N900 will have an s60 emulator so it will be somewhat backwards compatible with s60 apps
    - I saw this quite often asked, but yea, the N900 has an FM Receiver and Transmitter, so you can listen to FM radio and transmit music to your car stereo
    - Did I mention that it's fully open linux? No HelloOX, no hacking, you have the full operating system at your disposal. It comes with a terminal with root capabilities.
    - The N900 will be upgradable to the next version of Maemo, Maemo 6, as every internet tablet has had a guaranteed support for at least 2 future OS's.
    - N900 will support usb HOST!, just like the n810, meaning you can plug in usb drives, hard drives, usb mice, etc. Any usb peripheral will work!
    - The N900 is truly powerful, if you have seen the demo video you'll see during the application switcher that programs are updated IN REAL TIME while your switching applications! Video keeps on playing and you can see it WHILE you're alt tabbing, like in windows vista/7

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭foobar

Is it much bigger than the n97 ? Looking at this picture they look around the same size (The Nokia N86, N900, N97 and N810 compared (proportional sizes)) .compare.jpg

Looks substantially bigger than the n97 - maybe 15/20% difference. Plus its around 180+ grams in weight. That's a big handset in anyone's book.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Looks substantially bigger than the n97 - maybe 15/20% difference. Plus its around 180+ grams in weight. That's a big handset in anyone's book.

Doesn't seem to be that much bigger to me

Device Size
    N900 - 110.9 x 59.8 x 18[1] mm
    N97 - 117.2 x 55.3 x 15.9[1] mm
    N95 - 99 x 53 x 21 mm
    iphone - 115.5 x 61 x 12.3 mm
    Weight
    N900 - 181 g
    N97 - 150 g
    N95 - 120 g
    iphone - 135 g

Although it is a bit heavier

• Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

foobar wrote: »
    http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum/showthread.php?t=87377&page=8

This is, AMAZING!

Well done Nokia, make a great hardware, make it open and give it to the world to play around with, that's how every device should be made, I wish others like Sony(Playstation, PSP) and Apple(everything) understood that.

Just create a great hardware and make it open.

Nokia is really coming out to kill Apple, I hope Maemo is not just a "once off" thing and they really make a fulltime switch to it, making it their primary OS for flagship devices, with S60 and S40 being second and third tier phone OS-es.

Though, I probably still won't be getting it just yet, when hopefully they release an N900 mini(or whatever) with a capacitive multitouch screen, 8-12MP camera and without the qwerty keyboard and with lesser plastic around the screen(though the current design is pretty good already, I like the square shape of it), I'll be all over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Gekko

Does anyone else not find this a bit of a kick in the teeth to anyone who has bought an N97?

Yet another case of Nokia churning out phones that have maybe one or two new features compared to their predecessors in the space of a few months of the predecessor having hit the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

i for one am glad they are bringing this out.

i bought the n97 at launch and it was a disappointment, but this looks to be promising.

am selling my n97 to anyone who is interested.!!!!

most people here are thinking of holding out for awhile for this as caution if it has a launch like the n97 but i can't see it being anything like that.

nokia know the n97 failed to impress as a flag ship phone, thats the number 1 reason why they wont/CANT let this one fail.

ALL HAIL THE N900

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Nice.

why can't they put this on the n97 hardware? For me the n900 is just too big.

Stop it!!! I'm trying to talk myself out of spending €500 on this thing and you aren't helping.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Dirk_digbee

Nokia is really messing with my head lately. I really thought I wanted the N97 but that was all just craziness, every time I think about the N900 I get a bit of a semi!!
    I’m going to the States in mid Oct, would I be mad to buy it, if it’s out by then?
    I do realise the whole warranty issue and I would prefer to insure it but I don’t think I’d be able, would I be mad to buy it there????

Nokia is really messing with my head lately. I really thought I wanted the N97 but that was all just craziness, every time I think about the N900 I get a bit of a semi!!
    I’m going to the States in mid Oct, would I be mad to buy it, if it’s out by then?
    I do realise the whole warranty issue and I would prefer to insure it but I don’t think I’d be able, would I be mad to buy it there????
    It's quad band so it should work fine. I think the US uses a different frequency for 3g so that may be an issue. I might end up doing this myself as my sister is heading there for her honeymoon in october. Any one know of any good places in america to get one of these?

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Dirk_digbee

Yeah the whole frequency thing has me all messed up. I was trying to figure out what frequencies our Irish networks were on. Can’t understand how hard I found it to get info. Maybe I’m just useless! I’m on Meteor, but I wouldn’t mind switching to O2

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I want one...badly! I always wanted a real all in one device. And this seems to tick all the boxes. I actually think it's about the right size, any smaller and browsing the web would become a pain.

• Advertisement

Alright alright. Blond moment - I was comparing to the one on the far right!

This makes it more interesting. My one concern is that it may not be up to speed as a "phone" yet. I heard that it doesn't have mms and my concern is that it may lack bluetooth profiles or other features that we've come to expect.

I think this is great for Nokia. It seems to me that they did a quick direction change and switched this from an internet tablet to a phone and I'm glad they did. They need something to bring some life back into their products and maybe maemo is the solution.

I probably won't get one soon (just got a hero) but maybe next year when the OS matures (as a phone!) I'll pick one up.

Well done Nokia.

matrim wrote: »
    Doesn't seem to be that much bigger to me

Device Size
    N900 - 110.9 x 59.8 x 18[1] mm
    N97 - 117.2 x 55.3 x 15.9[1] mm
    N95 - 99 x 53 x 21 mm
    iphone - 115.5 x 61 x 12.3 mm
    Weight
    N900 - 181 g
    N97 - 150 g
    N95 - 120 g