Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia N900

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭rushnaldo

So what would be the advantages of the n900 over the xperia x10 from sony. Im lost on maemo 5 linux versus android teccie jargon?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

rushnaldo wrote: »
    So what would be the advantages of the n900 over the xperia x10 from sony. Im lost on maemo 5 linux versus android teccie jargon?

From just reading reviews its seems the X10 lacks the power to fully use its OS to best effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Venom wrote: »
    From just reading reviews its seems the X10 lacks the power to fully use its OS to best effect.

Does it not use a 1GHz Snapdragon processor?

Everything criticism that I have seen of the device can be explained by the tester using an unoptimised version of the OS.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Does it not use a 1GHz Snapdragon processor?

Everything criticism that I have seen of the device can be explained by the tester using an unoptimised version of the OS.

From this vid it looks zippy :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m19Lu-JUW1Q&feature=player_embedded

• Registered Users Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

joedumper wrote: »
    I'm afraid that since it's gotten this late... I'm going to wait to open it till christmas day.

yes i know it's some sort of weird self torture!! :P

Oh you don't want to do that so you don't :eek:
    What if there is something wrong with it :eek:
    And you don't know until xmas day and have to wait until well into the new year to get it fixed (or ask people here for advice) ??

Far more prudent to open that package RIGHT NOW and make sure it is working so that you can send it back right now under the 2 week rule if it isin't !

And since you've opened it - get back on here and tell us about it :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

yeah espansys have pushed it back again. Estimated 6 days till arrival. Fingers crossed we might get it before June.
    just checked expansys.com there and it still says "Availability: Estimated 1 Day"

refreshed the page and went to the .ie site and back again and still both saying 1 day. maybe the pessimistic side of you imagined it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

my order status says 6 days.

rang them earlier and the guy said that it is still showing 1 day on there internal system(what is that, sounds cool) also said that another phone was pushed back 6 days and it might just be an error.

from from my pessimistic side i would imagine 'Not in stock and never will be'

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭lunacyfoundme

Cant believe this has been pushed back on Expansys again. Wonder if they'd consider setting aside the delivery charge as compensation. You can say what you want about it not being their fault rather its Nokias but they still choose to put an estimated availability date on their website. They cant just advertise that date and keep changing it. Better no date.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

You can say what you want about it not being their fault rather its Nokias but they still choose to put an estimated availability date on their website. They cant just advertise that date and keep changing it. Better no date.

seriously? you even stated yourself that they have it down as an estimated date, would you prefer they don't put any date at all down, it's not their fault that nokia aren't shipping them

actually the way i see it is.

if nokia have cancelled on them 4 times already why are expansys even bothering with another estimate if there is a 99% chance that it will not be met.

also expansys pushed it back much earlier today but left the main paged untouched so they could get as many orders in as possible. having it say ESTIMATED 1 day would have had alot of people place the orders and had there money taken from there bank and put on hold until shipped.(they have done that three times now already)

also i find it funny as NOWHERE deliverys on a sunday why is there current estimate on a sunday. HOW are they getting there shipment from nokia on a sunday.

ALSO not one email from them saying that it has been pushed back yet again(never once got an email from them about the countless delays)

expansys just wait until very close to there estimate and then push it back. there is no way in hell they only found out today that they werent getting them tomorrow!!! that just doesnt happen if it was nokia's fault. also why would expansys be the only third part site getting the n900. only nokia an amazon(US) have had it for sale so far.

RANT OVER!!!

• Advertisement

would you prefer they don't put any date at all down

Yeah I think I just wrote that at the end of my last post.
    why are expansys even bothering with another estimate if there is a 99% chance that it will not be met.

exactly my point.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

up to "Availability: Estimated 4 Days" again now.

it's actually kinda fun. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

what's the difference between the 2 N900's on Expansys - one for €634 and the other for €684?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,705 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Just of the phone with Nokia they have one for me and its getting delivered to Big Sis in London today / tomorrow

Happy Days will be waiting for her as soon as big sis enters Ireland on 23rd :D

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Dr Rod Doom

Thor wrote: »
    actually the way i see it is.

if nokia have cancelled on them 4 times already why are expansys even bothering with another estimate if there is a 99% chance that it will not be met.

also expansys pushed it back much earlier today but left the main paged untouched so they could get as many orders in as possible. having it say ESTIMATED 1 day would have had alot of people place the orders and had there money taken from there bank and put on hold until shipped.(they have done that three times now already)

also i find it funny as NOWHERE deliverys on a sunday why is there current estimate on a sunday. HOW are they getting there shipment from nokia on a sunday.

ALSO not one email from them saying that it has been pushed back yet again(never once got an email from them about the countless delays)

expansys just wait until very close to there estimate and then push it back. there is no way in hell they only found out today that they werent getting them tomorrow!!! that just doesnt happen if it was nokia's fault. also why would expansys be the only third part site getting the n900. only nokia an amazon(US) have had it for sale so far.

RANT OVER!!!

Totally agree with you here, at one stage I was laughing at the people over at talk.maemo.org going bat-sh*t crazy about theirs not arriving, but not any more. I just realised my original order was placed 25/09/09, so I'm now coming up on 3 months waiting.
    And what's really really aggravated me during this is how Expansys wait until the very last minute (est. 1 day, est. 2 day etc.) before pushing it out again and don't automatically send an update email. How hard is it to trigger an auto email?
    Of course, that's beside the point because the estimated delivery date is pulled directly out of their a$$es

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭SoundWave

i wonder if any stock arrived in at all? or is it just another delay.

i only placed my order last week so im still failry calm... but i cant imagine having to wait 3 months and counting...

they clearly wait till the last minute to change the avail date to try and stop people from cancelling thier orders

I wonder am i better off ordering from amazon.com and getting the bro-inlaw to ship it over to me from the states.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭RobbieM

Just did a bad thing. Ordered from nokia.co.uk and made up a postcode???

:confused::confused::confused::confused:

what will happen next?

Ordered from nokia.co.uk and made up a postcode???

LOL! I thought I was desperate to get this thing.

I'm thinking about sending a snooty email to Expansys re my order. After all they're slips and assurances that they'd have it, it looks like they won't til well after Xmas. I was thinking of pressing home the point that in January most places will have the N900 (including maybe even Vodafone) and that several will be cheaper than Expansys. So in effect if they don't get me an N900 before Xmas, they'll loose my order and a lot of other ones too.

What does anyone think about this? Is it worth bothering?

Are there any Nokia stores/partnership outlets in Northern Ireland does anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Dr Rod Doom

LOL! I thought I was desperate to get this thing.

I'm thinking about sending a snooty email to Expansys re my order. After all they're slips and assurances that they'd have it, it looks like they won't til well after Xmas. I was thinking of pressing home the point that in January most places will have the N900 (including maybe even Vodafone) and that several will be cheaper than Expansys. So in effect if they don't get me an N900 before Xmas, they'll loose my order and a lot of other ones too.

What does anyone think about this? Is it worth bothering?

Are there any Nokia stores/partnership outlets in Northern Ireland does anyone know?

Tried this and failed, I got a single line email back from them saying they don't know when stock will arrive.

Nokia N900
    Tipsa en vän Tell a friend
    skriv ut print
    Nokia N900
    Choose a color:
    Availability: Buy
    Shipping: Standard (3-5 days) 79kr, Express delivery (1-3 days) 149 SEK. At pre-ordering request is sent as soon as the product in stock.
    Order number:
    £ 5995.00
    Preorder
    Price incl. VAT. For larger orders, more than 5 phones, order by phone 077-662 22 22.
    Mobile Computer with Touch Screen

Buy today - delivery before Christmas * :cool:

• Advertisement

Wheres that? I dont speak Slovakian. EDIT: I mean Swedish.

The motherland..... Sweden!

I mean think about it. If anyone has it...... http://shop.nokia.se

Just got the following message:

Tack för din beställning hos Nokia Online Shop. Tyvärr finns produkten som
    anges nedan och som ingår i din beställning 9-12-2009 inte i lager.

Så snart produkten finns tillgänglig kommer den att levereras. Ditt
    kreditkort kommer inte att debiteras förrän produkten är skickad. Du
    kommer att få ytterligare ett e-postmeddelande när produkten har skickats
    iväg. Om du vill avbeställa produkten vänligen kontakta vår kundservice,
    service@nokia.se, eller genom att ringa oss på 077 6622222, måndag till
    fredag, 9.00 – 21.00.

OPTION 2:
    http://www.skyscanner.net/flights/ie/nyo/december-2009/december-2009/cheapest-flights-to-stockholm-s.-skavsta-from-ireland-in-december-2009.html

What website? International delivery? 5995 SEK is about €570

Totally agree with you here, at one stage I was laughing at the people over at talk.maemo.org going bat-sh*t crazy about theirs not arriving, but not any more. I just realised my original order was placed 25/09/09, so I'm now coming up on 3 months waiting.
    And what's really really aggravated me during this is how Expansys wait until the very last minute (est. 1 day, est. 2 day etc.) before pushing it out again and don't automatically send an update email. How hard is it to trigger an auto email?
    Of course, that's beside the point because the estimated delivery date is pulled directly out of their a$$es

Amazing, same date for me...
    9/25/2009 Sent email - eXpansys Order Acknowledgement

I'm loosing it now though. I think this last push of dates from expletive has pushed me over the edge!! :P :P :P

I had put my faith in them, but I realise it is now out of there control whether it arrives before christmas.

I noticed something else: I ordered on the dollar site @ $699. It says 699 on my order tracker. BUT they have changed my shipping zone. and when i check the "My Account" page it says $877.17 WTF

I logged a "CALL BACK REQUEST HERE": https://www.expansys-usa.com/callbackrequest.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

RobbieM wrote: »
    The motherland..... Sweden!

I mean think about it. If anyone has it...... http://shop.nokia.se

Sould the motherland not be Finland?

matrim wrote: »
    Sould the motherland not be Finland?

true, no stock there though. the Swedish site is guaranteeing delivery by christmas.

what do people think of getting it from american.

heading over there(New York) on the 19th and coming back christmas eve. they have a good few in stock at the moment and i would say they still will on the 19th.

the hardware is identical to the version we will be getting. i know there isnt any warranty. lets face it though i was getting insurance for it anyway.

i rang the new york flashship store and she said that its $619 and thats including tax. that means at the moment it would cost me 420 euro. i dont mind not having the warranty for that price. also i would have it for christmas.

would prob be a great idea as long as you check everything is working before you leave. would the insurance cover a replacement if there was serious hardware failure?

well the insurance cover i was thinking of getting says Accidental damage, Liquid damage, World wide cover, Theft, Extended warranty. so im sure one of them will cover it.

was going to get it the day i got there and make sure everything was working okay before i left.

• Advertisement

who is the best for such insurance?

Just got this message:
    Good afternoon Robbie,

The release has been put back several times by the manufacturer rather than by €Xpansys. We have been told that there is a chance the release could be put back until after Christmas, although we are awaiting clarity on this.

We will be letting the customers know about this when we find out.

Regards

€Xpansys

Advertisement