Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia N900

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Four of a kind

LOL! I thought I was desperate to get this thing.

I'm thinking about sending a snooty email to Expansys re my order. After all they're slips and assurances that they'd have it, it looks like they won't til well after Xmas. I was thinking of pressing home the point that in January most places will have the N900 (including maybe even Vodafone) and that several will be cheaper than Expansys. So in effect if they don't get me an N900 before Xmas, they'll loose my order and a lot of other ones too.

What does anyone think about this? Is it worth bothering?

Are there any Nokia stores/partnership outlets in Northern Ireland does anyone know?

I think that they will def loose alot of customers orders if its 100% apparent that It won't be arriving before Christmas. As you said, come Jan, alot of shops will have it in stock.

I would have thought that it would have made great business sense on Nokia's part to make sure that the N900 was available for the Christmas rush.
    People will buy this phone, there's no doubt about that at Christmas time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

I think that they will def loose alot of customers orders if its 100% apparent that It won't be arriving before Christmas. As you said, come Jan, alot of shops will have it in stock.

I would have thought that it would have made great business sense on Nokia's part to make sure that the N900 was available for the Christmas rush.
    People will buy this phone, there's no doubt about that at Christmas time.

I wonder if it could have anything to do with Nokia being in a position of having two of there top teir products going head to head with each other via the N900 and n97?

Maybe this delay is Nokia's last ditch effort to shift some n97's lol

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭lunacyfoundme

That would probably make more sense than they 'didn't anticipate the demand' most people I've talked to preordered in Sept or Oct which would have given them plenty of advanced notice of the levels of interest. Unless the online companies kept it a big super secret. Very poor planning.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭RobbieM

My problem is with €xpansys. They are building up a massive pre-order by only having a few days estimated at any time.

It's ridiculous!!

I ordered mths ago. I feel sorry for someone ordering today!

I left them a nice google sidewiki message!!!!!! Power to the people!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

RobbieM wrote: »
    who is the best for such insurance?

Just got this message:

im going with fonesure.co.uk

they will cover everything i said before. so going to pick the n900 over in new york.

• Advertisement

RobbieM wrote: »
    My problem is with €xpansys. They are building up a massive pre-order by only having a few days estimated at any time.

It's ridiculous!!

I ordered mths ago. I feel sorry for someone ordering today!

I left them a nice google sidewiki message!!!!!! Power to the people!!

Well I ordered last week on the presumption from their website saying estimated arrival date "3 days". And it is a disgrace on their behalf that they cant at least send an email out when its pushed back.

I on the other hand, feel sorry the the guys who preordered this a few months ago and are still waiting for it to be released.

It its not still released by Xmas...is it possible to cancel the order with expansys?

Well I ordered last week on the presumption from their website saying estimated arrival date "3 days". And it is a disgrace on their behalf that they cant at least send an email out when its pushed back.

I on the other hand, feel sorry the the guys who preordered this a few months ago and are still waiting for it to be released.

It its not still released by Xmas...is it possible to cancel the order with expansys?

oh yeah you can cancel it at anytime. have they put the money on hold from your bank account.

they did that with mine but i cancelled it and got them to reinstate it, at that point they released the money they were holding.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭RobbieM

To cancel your order please send an email quoting your order reference and reason for cancelling to [email]info@€xpansys.ie[/email], or alternatively call +353 (0)1 631 9119.
    Please note that orders can not be cancelled after dispatch.
    >>>> IF ONLY!!! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Dr Rod Doom

Losing...

Will...

To Purchase...

All the fun and spontaneity is gone out of my stupid purchase. My shiny toy eye has begun to wander...

yeah its pathetic marketing by Nokia in my view. Has anyone talked to anyone in the Nokia offices in the Uk regarding the matter?

If they've shipped the product in Germany, Sweden and the Uk, then why the fcuk not here in Ireland?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

Losing...

Will...

To Purchase...

All the fun and spontaneity is gone out of my stupid purchase. My shiny toy eye has begun to wander...
    I lost mine awhile ago, picked up a HTC hero, and I'm happy. Great screen, multi touch is the business.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭lunacyfoundme

Because we're only one of the biggest mobile phone markets in Europe and spend more on new mobile phones and.. oh wait. Thats why they should have shipped in Ireland FIRST.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭rushnaldo

Losing...

Will...

To Purchase...

Totally agree....most just got carried away by the addiction of new technology which is becoming a new phenomenon.. shedload of money just before christmas during a recession for a slow brick whic is neither a phone or a camera or a notebook but a teeny tiny big mac burger thin slice of each

• Registered Users Posts: 3,705 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Happy Days are here again :D

Taken from Nokia.co.uk from my order

Shipped from Warehouse 09-Dec-2009 16:32

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

My brother finally got the phone from UPS. He's been trying since Monday. He's posting it over to me here tomorrow, so fingers crossed I get it on Friday

There's just so much inconsistency regarding the shipping of this. So Nokia are shipping it at the moment? then why have espansys not got it in stock?

As far as I can tell the only places that have it in stock in the UK are shop.nokia.co.uk and mobile phones direct who run the Nokia shops in the UK

matrim wrote: »
    As far as I can tell the only places that have it in stock in the UK are shop.nokia.co.uk and mobile phones direct who run the Nokia shops in the UK

But their website still says "pre-order"!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Thor wrote: »
    what do people think of getting it from american.

heading over there(New York) on the 19th and coming back christmas eve. they have a good few in stock at the moment and i would say they still will on the 19th.

the hardware is identical to the version we will be getting. i know there isnt any warranty. lets face it though i was getting insurance for it anyway.

As far as I know there are some differences in hardware - some wifi channels missing though I don't think its too important and some have said that a 3g band is missing?

But their website still says "pre-order"!

That's where I got mine. I placed the order and got a shipping notice 2 days later. I assume they have pre-order because it looks like they are getting in one shipment a week and it is constantly going straight away

• Advertisement

Exactly what is a resistive touch screen? Makes no sense haven't a resistive "touch" screen imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭smegheadz

Exactly what is a resistive touch screen? Makes no sense haven't a resistive "touch" screen imo.

Resistive screen means it detects touch by applied pressure. its usualy made up with thin layers of plastic with liquid between them. when u apply pressure with ur nail or pen or finger they touch and it gives off a charge at that point therefore showing where u pressed.

while capacitive uses a chemical coating on the screen that pics up on the static of ur finger when u touch the screen. thats why u can't wear gloves( unless u mod it) on capacitive screens or u cant use a stylus or ur nail for accurate presses.

they each have their pro's and con's

smegheadz wrote: »
    Resistive screen means it detects touch by applied pressure. its usualy made up with thin layers of plastic with liquid between them. when u apply pressure with ur nail or pen or finger they touch and it gives off a charge at that point therefore showing where u pressed.

while capacitive uses a chemical coating on the screen that pics up on the static of ur finger when u touch the screen. thats why u can't wear gloves( unless u mod it) on capacitive screens or u cant use a stylus or ur nail for accurate presses.

they each have their pro's and con's

Thanks, and welcome to boards!

As far as I know there are some differences in hardware - some wifi channels missing though I don't think its too important and some have said that a 3g band is missing?

Not sure about the wifi but its true about the 3g band missing but it isnt missing from the us version but the eu version.

Here is the difference.

Network:EU Version
    - GSM: 850/900/1800/1900 (Quad-Band)
    - WCDMA: 900/2100 (Dual-Band)

Network:Us Version
    - GSM: 850/900/1800/1900 (Quad-Band)
    - WCDMA: 900/1700/2100 (Dual-Band)

now it isnt a hardware difference for the 3g band but a software clintch that disables the freq 1700 in europe as it is not used. changing the product code to uk version and flashing the firmware would make it exactly the same as the EU version, Although none of that is required as having it enabled makes no difference.

defo getting one when im in new york. will be great having it on the plane on the way back.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭smegheadz

I've heard from alot of people who've got their n900 that the touch screen is very responsive when you calibrate it. I think it has a softer screen for softer touches but i can't be sure. if it does then it would be more liable to scratches so get the screen protectors.

another thing is power consumption. there appears to be a wifi bug that causes wifi to stay searching even when u disconnect or tell it to stop.
    will drain the battery in 6hours or so and the phone will be warm. only way to stop it if it's triggered is a reboot or disabling wifi from the xterminal.
    not all wifi will trigger it.

check out http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=36438 for more info on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭bala

got mine yesterday from amazon in US. Loving it so far

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Dr Rod Doom

bala wrote: »

Did you order this with an Irish card to ship to an Irish address?

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭LK1

I've managed to get a friend in North to order from UK nokia online so I will be dumping expansys.co.uk. I'm just not sure nokia will offer it to third parties until they clear their own backlog.

bala wrote: »

How much in custom tax did you have to pay? Or did you get lucky and not get caught?

• Advertisement

smegheadz wrote: »
    I've heard from alot of people who've got their n900 that the touch screen is very responsive when you calibrate it. I think it has a softer screen for softer touches but i can't be sure. if it does then it would be more liable to scratches so get the screen protectors.

another thing is power consumption. there appears to be a wifi bug that causes wifi to stay searching even when u disconnect or tell it to stop.
    will drain the battery in 6hours or so and the phone will be warm. only way to stop it if it's triggered is a reboot or disabling wifi from the xterminal.
    not all wifi will trigger it.

check out http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=36438 for more info on that.

Here's a few tips for increasing your battery life on the N900....

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=35907

One point that I never knew(which the above article points out) is that the older you sim card..then the more power it will consume. My Sim is like 4/5 years old, since I replaced it.

That could potentially be causing alot of the problems regarding battery life as well.

Advertisement