Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia N900

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Dr Rod Doom

Yeah, I'd heard the same thing as well. It's an interesting problem, I wonder if newer SIMs are more efficient at picking up signals by design, or older SIMs just spend longer looking for signals as they degrade?

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭lunacyfoundme

got mine yesterday from amazon in US. Loving it so far

Is the 3G and everything else working on it. Cant believe the best buying option in Ireland ia all the way from America...

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭bala

Is the 3G and everything else working on it. Cant believe the best buying option in Ireland ia all the way from America...
    am Still in the US. got it for $479 after rebate. I used a irish card and had it delivered to US

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

bala wrote: »
    am Still in the US. got it for $479 after rebate. I used a irish card and had it delivered to US

hey mate going to be getting up when im over there next week. has there been any issues with the phone. have you got an irish sim card you can try on it. also how did you get the rebate.

Thor wrote: »
    hey mate going to be getting up when im over there next week. has there been any issues with the phone. have you got an irish sim card you can try on it. also how did you get the rebate.

I've had the phone for about 18 hours now. No problems so far. It has my 3 sim and is working fine (the sim is 3 years old).There seems tobe some issue with rebate. Called amazon and they asked me to call Nokia. Will do that in about an hour.

• Advertisement

ah thats good to here. can't wait to get mine, should cost about $620 including new york tax. any problems playing avi videos on it. going to put a good few on a memory card for when im going over so i have a few films on the way back on the plane.

Thor wrote: »
    ah thats good to here. can't wait to get mine, should cost about $620 including new york tax. any problems playing avi videos on it. going to put a good few on a memory card for when im going over so i have a few films on the way back on the plane.

I played "Ratotuille" (Divx AVi) without any problems and without any codec installations. The phone comes with the trailer of "9" in MP4 format.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭rushnaldo

Vodafone ireland announced tonight that they are launching the n900 early in the new year for Irish users
    https://forum.vodafone.ie/index.php?/topic/1642-new-handset-update/

Sweet. Hope it happens very early in Jan. Prob get it from them quicker than Expansh!t.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Amazon UK just updated my satus with: The following item will arrive after 25 Dec 2009. Nokia N900.

Grrrr, at this point I'm tempted to hop on a plane to the uk just to get my hands on one.

• Advertisement

Grrrr, at this point I temted to hop on a plane to the uk just to get my hands on one.

I actually had the exact same idea until I seen the flights on ryanir on my day off are about €150 return.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

BlueMonke wrote: »
    Ehh thats not the N900!!
    Yes it is.
    The Nokia N900 is scheduled for launch in the New Year. This is its first device built on the Maemo platform – an advanced Linux-based operating system designed to run on high-end Nokia mobile computers. We will confirm pricing and availability in the New Year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Four of a kind

Is the N900 available to buy in shops in the UK??? Did'nt think this was the case:confused::confused::confused:

Sure if it is, then all people have to do is get a mate over there to buy it and ship it over?

Also, Knock to london for around €60 returning the same day would be another option. That would leave about 3 hours of N900 hunting time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Is the N900 available to buy in shops in the UK??? Did'nt think this was the case:confused::confused::confused:

Sure if it is, then all people have to do is get a mate over there to buy it and ship it over?

Also, Knock to london for around €60 returning the same day would be another option. That would leave about 3 hours of N900 hunting time.

Nokia have a flagship store in heathrow airport, so it might be possible to get it there

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

hmm sounds interesting... tax free side i hope !
    might be worth getting a cheap enough flight over to get it

matrim wrote: »
    Nokia have a flagship store in heathrow airport, so it might be possible to get it there

Yeah, but is it on general sale in the shops in the UK yet? My plan was to maybe fly from knock - Liverpool...pick up a phone at one of the airport phone shops then hop back on the return flight 3 hours later. Flights for that are only €56 return..which is very good. Plus I would'nt have to pay €282 for checking in any bags ;)

But if its not on sale in the Uk yet....then there's obviously no point in trying to get it before xmas.

Was talking to a guy in carphone warehouse in Galway and he said that it def won't hit the selves with them until Feb at the earliest.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭smegheadz

Can whoever has bought it in the USA confirm what warranty they have and how they can use it if there is a defect.

Same question to anyone who bought it from the UK

edit:

Also can whoever bought the USA model confirm about charging it in ireland as they use different voltages in the USA and plugs.

smegheadz wrote: »
    Can whoever has bought it in the USA confirm what warranty they have and how they can use it if there is a defect.

Same question to anyone who bought it from the UK

edit:

Also can whoever bought the USA model confirm about charging it in ireland as they use different voltages in the USA and plugs.

if you buy it in the us you will have no warranty when you bring it over here as the warranty is only in the united states.

if you buy it in the uk you will have warranty everywhere in the eu as the the warranty here is for all of the eu.

also i believe you just use an irish micro usb nokia charger and you will be fine.

anyone know for sure if this is on general sale in the UK now?

anyone know for sure if this is on general sale in the UK now?

best thing you can do is ring the shop you are planing on going to and ask them if they have it and if they can hold it for you. i know the new york shop wont hold it for me as they dont hold phones for anyone(kinda gay).

let me know if you sort one out. if you are desperate to get one there is one on ebay(nam version) but they have it in the uk and are selling it for the same price as the uk one. very high feedback seller.

http://cgi.ebay.ie/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=330386849697&Category=3312&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26its%3DI%26otn%3D1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,705 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Phone arrived on Friday in Big Sis Gaff:D She was afraid to open box so giving it to my Bro in Law tonight to have a look. Sis said it came with extra SD card but dont know if thats true;)

Bro in law is going to charge it up and test it out for me using his uk sim anything I should ask him to make sure its working :confused:

So will have it when Sis comes home for Christmas on the 16th Dec just in time for xmas:)

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭GUIGuy

Played with N900 and HTC HD2 in Abu Dhabi airport last week... both are sweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

hmm, going to the UK on Saturday for a wedding so I might see if I can pick one up, assuming (my rather odd, random dated) payday arrives in the mean time. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭hal9000

grrr amazon uk pushed this back to after christmas (no surprise and not really their fault) cancelled order and will reevaluate in jan keepin an eye on htc nexus malarky ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭RobbieM

Which shops have it in the UK?

RobbieM wrote: »
    Which shops have it in the UK?

+1

i see a few unlocked n900's from Uk sellers on ebay. whats the NAM version that the poster above referred to btw?

Honestly, would love to get a n900 before xmas...but I don't know what the ebay story could be regarding getting a legitimate model.

NAM I presume is North AMerican model. Ebay would be alright as long as the seller is well trusted. Ebay has some kind of protection insurance re fraud aswell I think.

NAM I presume is North AMerican model. Ebay would be alright as long as the seller is well trusted. Ebay has some kind of protection insurance re fraud aswell I think.

So would it be worth getting a UK model off ebay providing the seller had a high feedback rating etc..?

In that case...why are'nt there alot more here on boards going down that route and getting it on ebay?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Tzetze

why are'nt there alot more here on boards going down that route and getting it on ebay?

I bought one from a hong kong seller with 64k sales and 98% positive feedback. It has just been shipped out of hong kong today. After paying duty and vat charges (very slim chance of it slipping through, but fully expect to pay the charges), the total price will still come in slightly cheaper than expansys.ie. Hopefully will have it early next week.

Advertisement