Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia N900

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Four of a kind

does this mean that if you pre-ordered it at the original price that you'll get it at this price if it actually gets released in "2 days"????

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭lunacyfoundme

anyone else see that the price of the N900 has gone down on expansys to 589.99 euro

Seen that alright. Now makes it €20 cheaper than buying from Expansys.co.uk. Might order from both and see whp wins the race. Prob no difference but they may get dispatched from Ireland and UK respectively.

I wouldn't expect them getting stock until January. Although I just noticed seems to be back in stock on Nokia online store.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭RobbieM

basically the options right now are:
    1. UK creditcard from nokia.co.uk
    2. Cash from one of the following stores: http://www.mobilephonesdirect.co.uk/stores/index.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭LK1

would you be able to get phone in stores up north? as i got a few lads living in there, would be a great oppurtunity to visit them :D

I don't think there are any Nokia retail stores in the North and you wouldn't get them in any Vodafone etc. stores yet(besides they would be UK contracts).

Your best bet is online at nokia.co.uk using UK address and c.card.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭MackDeToaster

matrim wrote: »
    For the few people who already have their device my webtext application is in the extras-testing repository if you want to test \ use it.

I don't have one yet but I also saw your post on maemo.org. That's fantastic, well done and many thanks in advance !!

• Advertisement

Seen that alright. Now makes it €20 cheaper than buying from Expansys.co.uk. Might order from both and see whp wins the race. Prob no difference but they may get dispatched from Ireland and UK respectively.

I wouldn't expect them getting stock until January. Although I just noticed seems to be back in stock on Nokia online store.

Yeah it says "in stock - ready to ship". So that would make one believe that expansys etc should get their stock? Estimated 2 days though on espansys.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Tzetze

My ebay purchase just arrived from Hong Kong. Duty/VAT charges came to 102.68, so it cost me ~680 in total. Yep, it's more expensive than other options, but cheaper than having to fly out of the country to get it. I get to play with it over Christmas too. Wheeee!!! Now, to unbox and revel in it's shiny awesomenomnomness. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭RobbieM

well, Got my n900 this morning and it hasn't been a dissapointment!!!!!

rang the nokia shop yesterday in market street, manchester, and John put my name on it

walked in this morning at 9 and there it was with my name already on the paperwork!l

its amazing! ran one of my own batch scripts from the x terminal. watchin sopcast with the browser plugin! no need for fring, all im's are integrated! love the ctrl c - ctrl p!

i just cant put it down! :D

Thanks for that. Its just bolstered my patience levels with Expansys. Urge to buy different phone.. fading... fading.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Right i've decided i want this phone. I wonder what the prices will be like in the new year...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭rushnaldo

RobbieM wrote: »

rang the nokia shop yesterday in market street, manchester, and John put my name on it

walked in this morning at 9 and there it was with my name already on the paperwork!l

its amazing! ran one of my own batch scripts from the x terminal. watchin sopcast with the browser plugin! no need for fring, all im's are integrated! love the ctrl c - ctrl p!

Are you saying you can watch sopcast on a phone? Like live premier league games on a phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Me too :D Does the cabbage texter alternative work anyone know? (Small thing but important!)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

RobbieM wrote: »

how did you get sopcast running? I thought that it's not open source and the binary wasn't compiled for an arm processor

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

why the hell, everytime i check expansys, n900 price goes up?!?!

Me too :D Does the cabbage texter alternative work anyone know? (Small thing but important!)
    Yes, it works. :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Right i've decided i want this phone. I wonder what the prices will be like in the new year...

I'm thinking it's still gonna be too expensive for me, but everytime I see this thread I start justifying the cost of it. These latest posts are making it worse. :( On the off chance one of you guys get bored with yours or realise for some odd reason you despise it, you can just give it to me. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I'm thinking it's still gonna be too expensive for me, but everytime I see this thread I start justifying the cost of it. These latest posts are making it worse. :( On the off chance one of you guys get bored with yours or realise for some odd reason you despise it, you can just give it to me. :D

I'm in the same position, it's still gonna be too expensive for me too! But the more i read this thread and watch youtube reviews the more i want it!

Well its still "in Stock - ready to ship" on nokia.co.uk and expansys.ie have an "estimated 1 day" till arrival...so things mights look good :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Re Cabbage Alternative:

Hi Matrim, You have something to do with the development of it? Does it have a name? Thanks. :)

I'm thinking it's still gonna be too expensive for me, but everytime I see this thread I start justifying the cost of it. These latest posts are making it worse.

Yep, not having one and continuing to read this thread would be a form of torture. I have to find a way of justifying it (and to my wife :eek:)
    I'm just hoping that the N900 will turn out to be as good as an investment as my N95 original was 2 years ago.. I mean if I decide to make the investment in the N900. I mean WHEN I invest in it!

Works a charm. Much appreciated. Thanks Matrim. :)

edit: Any chance you could extend the 160 character limit? :S

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭rushnaldo

I was doing well convincing myself I didnt need this phone until the poster mentioned it can play Sopcast...would be unreal that

Re Cabbage Alternative:
    Hi Matrim, You have something to do with the development of it? Does it have a name? Thanks. :)

I developed it (With some tips on how to do the sending from Sam Vimes, the developer of cabbage). It's called WebTexter. Not a very imaginative name, but that's what I called it when I was prototyping it and I was too lazy to change it
    Works a charm. Much appreciated.
    What network are you on? I've tested it with O2, Vodafone, SMSDiscount and Blueface, and have reports of it working with voipbuster.
    While I think it should work with Three and Meteor I don't have an account with them so couldn't test them.

If you've tested it and are happy with the quality can you register with garage.maemo.org and give it a thumbs up. Here's some details on stuff you should check before giving it a thumbs up
    http://wiki.maemo.org/Extras-testing

I need to get 10 thumbs up before I can promote it to the main extras repository

Tzetze wrote: »
    edit: Any chance you could extend the 160 character limit? :S

I plan to remove it in the future but first need to know what each provider supports. I know O2 can do more than 160 but don't know their limit. I'm not sure about any of the others.

More word on N900 on Vodafone. UK Vodafone but Vodafone none the less.

http://twa.lk/RJqs1

What network are you on?

I'm with vodafone. I'm not sure what the limit is with character length, but I've sent up to 8-part texts with cabbage desktop through my vodafone account in the past.

I registered with garage.maemo, and when I've used webtexter a bit more and as soon as I've figured out just how to, I'll be sure to give it a thumbs-up.

I'm with vodafone. I'm not sure what the limit is with character length, but I've sent up to 8-part texts with cabbage desktop through my vodafone account in the past.

I registered with garage.maemo, and when I've used webtexter a bit more and as soon as I've figured out just how to, I'll be sure to give it a thumbs-up.

Cabbage web scripts can split the text and send in multiple parts. The first thing I'll probably do is allow more than 160 characters when sending through them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

My ebay purchase just arrived from Hong Kong. Duty/VAT charges came to 102.68, so it cost me ~680 in total. Yep, it's more expensive than other options, but cheaper than having to fly out of the country to get it. I get to play with it over Christmas too. Wheeee!!! Now, to unbox and revel in it's shiny awesomenomnomness. :D

Thanks for letting us know, I'll have the cash ready when man comes to the door.

How long did it take to deliver in total? Mine was sent on the 17th and I'm just wondering if it will be here this side of the 25th. (Guy in Hong Kong said it would)

Oh and is the mic working? I've read some horror stories...

EDIT:

Update from HK tracking number:

Posting Date Posting Time Drop-off Point
    17-Dec-2009 11:24 San Po Kong Post Office

Date # Location Delivery Status
    17-Dec-2009 Hong Kong Item posted and is being processed.
    17-Dec-2009 Hong Kong Processed for departure.
    17-Dec-2009 Hong Kong The item left Hong Kong for its destination on 17-Dec-2009
    18-Dec-2009 Ireland Arrived and is being processed.
    18-Dec-2009 Ireland Pending customs inspection.
    19-Dec-2009 Ireland In transit.

Happy days!

god's toy wrote: »
    Thanks for letting us know, I'll have the cash ready when man comes to the door.

How long did it take to deliver in total? Mine was sent on the 17th and I'm just wondering if it will be here this side of the 25th. (Guy in Hong Kong said it would)

Oh and is the mic working? I've read some horror stories...

Was sent on the 15th, arrived 19th. It spent nearly 48 hours in Portlaoise. If yours doesn't get held up any longer than that in customs, you'll likely have it Monday. I'm guessing they're working Sunday.

The mic works fine, no dead pixels, tv out works. Thoroughly delighted with it! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Cool! I'm happy for you!

Lets hope they are working Sundays!

Thanks for the update!

:)

• Advertisement

ye lucky jammy B%^&ards!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D:mad::D:mad::D:mad::D:mad::pac::pac::pac::pac:

Advertisement