Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia N900

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

just got my n900 there. have benn playing with it for the last hour and i just love kt.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Four of a kind

Expansys.ie pushed back again to an estimated 5 days, but the nokia.co.uk site still has the "in Stock - ready to ship" status up.

Dame it anyways........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭SoundWave

god's toy wrote: »
    19-Dec-2009 Ireland In transit.

Happy days!

mines the very same... in transit... getting it delivered to home address and will be in work monday/tuesday, i wonder can i get it re-directed to work adress? i dont want to miss it....

cant feckin wait...

as a matter of intrest Tzetze was yours delivered by courier or anpost?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 defoe18

Just ring the courier co and get it re-directed or else you will need to collect from their HQ which is probably near the airport

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Tzetze

SoundWave wrote: »
    as a matter of intrest Tzetze was yours delivered by courier or anpost?

Delivered by An Post. You can trace the package through anpost.ie

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭BlueMonke

Hi, would someone be kind enough to briefly explain what "Sopcast" is!! New term to me that Ive never heard of.. Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,336 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

BlueMonke wrote: »
    Hi, would someone be kind enough to briefly explain what "Sopcast" is!! New term to me that Ive never heard of.. Thanks in advance.

http://www.sopcast.com/

Thanks for the big effort in posting that!!!! no wonder your post count is what it is!! :P

I had quickly found this in google myself but wanted a little bit more from someone whom might have used this app. Maybe tell me from experience with it what you you actually use this for and maybe a bit more like what sources of video and audio do you tune into! Can you watch your normal TV with this similar to the way the Sling box works!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Thanks for the big effort in posting that!!!! no wonder your post count is what it is!! :P
    google first, ask questions later. :)

vibe666 wrote: »
    google first, ask questions later. :)

I did and heres my questions:

What sources of video and audio do you tune into! Can you watch your normal TV with this similar to the way the Sling box works!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭rushnaldo

Sopcast is a media player that I use for watching live premiership football games. Basically someone in China or USA or wherever is showing the game live hooks a cable to their tv and to their pc and "streams" the footage peer to peer through Sopcast where everyone can just start up sopcast and watch the channel they are streaming for us. Thats just an example you can watch movies or whatever else also but its the number one peer to peer device for sports fans worldwide. Its simple to use. Just download sopcast takes a few minutes. Start it up and pick a channel to pley

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭n900guy

I'm thinking it's still gonna be too expensive for me, but everytime I see this thread I start justifying the cost of it. These latest posts are making it worse. :( On the off chance one of you guys get bored with yours or realise for some odd reason you despise it, you can just give it to me. :D

It is pretty amazing. I bought my in an electronics shop in Austria a few days ago. The manual is tiny, only 22 pages of basic intro instructions. It didn't say half of what this thing can do.

Video out of the box is excellent quality, playing DivX totally smoothly. I put the decoders-support package on (from Maemo.org) but still can't get MKV to work, or probably more likely, the h264 that I have been using is not supported yet. I got around 1/3 of the battery used up watching a movie which was 108 minutes long, at 3/5 brightness, so potentially you'd get a good few hours on a long plane journey. The screen was crystal clear but most impressively, you could zip in and out of the media player with no OS slowdown at all.

GPS is way way way better than my previous phones that had it (Touch HD, N95 8GB). It located my position within seconds, definitely under 20, which was very impressive (might have just been a clear day). Maps were included so it didn't need to download loads of data but it still uses data for positioning (you can turn it on and off). A problem though is that you can't get accurate details on the GPS lock and signal strength.

There are four basic desktops, and sliding between them is beautifully smooth, again the video processing is light years ahead of my experience on the HD, even with Dutty's recent ROMs (the most recent one actually, I can't remember which one specifically). Unfortunately I couldn't find a way to arrange things on a grid, so they don't come up too neatly. You can put whatever you want on them, so it's just like multiple desktops in X-Windows/Linux.

Which is the next amazing thing: I didn't know you actually had an X-Term right there in the Programs. You launch it and up comes a proper Linux shell. everything works, top, ps, apt-get. It's quite bizarre and I didn't realise it until then that really, this is really a micro-Linux PC with a phone attached.

but, unlike say, the Touch HD, the phone part and comms is entirely integrated into it. To connect to protected Wifi, it supports PIN-code access Wifi Protected Mode (on most routers in the past few years). Once you setup you Skype account in conversations, you then get the option to Skype call or IM any of your contacts - the contacts list integrates them all properly and you can sort by availability.

The integrated Skype looks just like the integrated Gmail and SMS - and the interface is absolutely perfect. It's totally slick and keeps everything in Gmail style Conversations; took me a bit to realise there was no "Text Message" button as I couldn't find it in the Programs :)

Web browsing was also a huge step up. the resolution is as is well know great, but I didn't realise that basically the Firefox-based browser is not like some cut down mobile version, it seems to be pretty complete, right down to even being able to do Facebook chat with the tiny little chat window that is at the bottom of the screen when you are on FB. I don't know what the limits are with regard to youtube (haven't tried it yet) but that was pretty amazing I thought!

It would be nice to be able to switch between PC Suite and Mass Data on the fly, but I couldn't find a way (on the taskbar, it is not a button, just an info section, unlike the Internet Connection button), so have to unplug and replug where it gives you the option again. PC Suite seems to work fine - I had reservations after PC Suite issues and Outlook before on the N95 - syncs with Outlook perfectly and for appointments the Calendar is very high tec and draws little lines over multiple days for long appointments. You have to see it really, looks like Star Trek :)

There seems to be more to discover about it as I use it. Nokia don't say much in the manual except for how to start it up. The intro movie when you first load says about the same. Under no circumstances think that this is another "Windows with a Phone added on" or else "Phone with a PIM added on". It's so entirely integrated into itself yet the interface is mind bendingly excellent (e..g, you get no slowdowns like when the Touch HD is running several apps and you are scrolling through the buttons).

EDIT: Forgot to add, the basic application database from Nokia is pretty small, but once you go to maemo.org and try to download something, it asks you whether you want to add to the catalogue, and then you get a whole load of more sections and apps added. You can just download and update all apps from there automatically it seems as it keeps them all in a repository (apt-get style).

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

God damn i want this phone...must....resist....temptation!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Just looking on ebay there, and noticed there's a fake doing the rounds. Just beware folks, nothing worse than spending 400+ on a phone only to realise it's a knock off.

Just looking on ebay there, and noticed there's a fake doing the rounds. Just beware folks, nothing worse than spending 400+ on a phone only to realise it's a knock off.

thats exactly the reason why I'll wait and keep my pre-order with expansys.ie for this device.

And that was a great intro by the N900guy above as well. Really can't wait to get this:D

rushnaldo wrote: »
    Sopcast is a media player that I use for watching live premiership football games. Basically someone in China or USA or wherever is showing the game live hooks a cable to their tv and to their pc and "streams" the footage peer to peer through Sopcast where everyone can just start up sopcast and watch the channel they are streaming for us. Thats just an example you can watch movies or whatever else also but its the number one peer to peer device for sports fans worldwide. Its simple to use. Just download sopcast takes a few minutes. Start it up and pick a channel to pley

Now thats what Im talking about :)

Thanks very much Rushnaldo. That sounds great.

could you watch the pdc darts on sopcast?

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭jessconr

could you watch the pdc darts on sopcast?

yep, just google "myp2p". head to the website. click on live sports and search for the darts:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭lunacyfoundme

Ive finally made peace with the fact that Im not getting this phone til at least mid January. I sit in my Zen garden every day, breathing deeply and becoming one with my surroundings. When my mind becomes troubled, I console myself with the thought that when I finally get my N900 its going to wipe the ****ing floor with all my friends who have Iphones and say spending €600 on a Nokia isnt worth it.

Ive finally made peace with the fact that Im not getting this phone til at least mid January. I sit in my Zen garden every day, breathing deeply and becoming one with my surroundings. When my mind becomes troubled, I console myself with the thought that when I finally get my N900 its going to wipe the ****ing floor with all my friends who have Iphones and say spending €600 on a Nokia isnt worth it.

It will be at least mid January before its available by the looks of it. :mad::mad::mad:

• Advertisement

jessconr wrote: »
    yep, just google "myp2p". head to the website. click on live sports and search for the darts:cool:

Sweet, am watching it now. Will you be able to do all this on the N900?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

HA!! Post of the year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭babaloushka

ME until sometime in 2010!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭PhilCurran

Clove.co.uk has just put back the availability to the end of January

http://www.clove.co.uk/viewProduct.aspx?product=E2F130C6-F96B-4EB2-99A7-B603C85D55A1

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

Now this unboxing is impressive!!!

nokia-n900-and-the-case-of-the-best-unboxing-ever

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

I did and heres my questions:

What sources of video and audio do you tune into! Can you watch your normal TV with this similar to the way the Sling box works!
    all information that is amply provided on the sopcast website which would have been your first google result.

"googling" implies that you should actually read what you search for. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

lafors wrote: »
    Now this unboxing is impressive!!!

nokia-n900-and-the-case-of-the-best-unboxing-ever

That is brilliant. :D

Now, if only it was a serial cable instead of a USB......

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭LK1

Got shipping e-mail from Nokia yesterday so hopefully will have it this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Dr Rod Doom

I had just reached this level of Zen too (or maybe just too tired after all the fury they put me through), and then this...

Forwarded message
    Date: Tue, Dec 22, 2009 at 3:18 PM
    Subject: eXpansys - Shipped order XXXXXXXX
    To: XXXXXXXX

Your order XXXXXXXX has been shipped.
    Visit
    http://www.expansys.com/tracking.aspxXXXXXXXX for details

Note: Any order of 3 or more items is subject to a part shipment with
    additional delivery costs to be carried by the Customer.

For Technical Support on these products please go to
    http://www.expansys.com/fo.aspx

Thank you for using eXpansys.
    Order Processing
    eXpansys"

I have to be honest with you all, I hyperventilated a little bit. And now we play the "Hit-F5-every-15-seconds-on-the-tracking-site" game...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭lunacyfoundme

I also just that from Expansys and near crapped my pants. Only problem is now that I finish work tomorrow and the office is closed for a week. Delivery address is thew work address. If it doesnt arrive tomorrow there may be a problem.

Advertisement