Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia N900

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

WOOHOO!!!!

I LOVE the N900!

Received it this after noon and apart from my 3 sim not working (Yet) it's well worth every penny and more! Yep got hit by customs for 99.31 but at this point I'm just overjoyed to get it before Xmas I don't care about the charge.
    it's a joy to use and super fast no matter how many apps you got running ;)
    I'm just happy!!

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Dr Rod Doom

I also just that from Expansys and near crapped my pants. Only problem is now that I finish work tomorrow and the office is closed for a week. Delivery address is thew work address. If it doesnt arrive tomorrow there may be a problem.

I've exactly the same problem, finishing tomorrow until the 30th. Desparately tring to remember if I paid for the next day delivery now... and if that'll apply for Ireland... and if the weather won't affect it... etc. All the variables! This could still go very wrong or very right

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭lunacyfoundme

If your postage was listed as 13.50 on the original order then thats next day delivery to Ireland. Just sent them an email to ask about it. Will ring tomorrow if I dont hear from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Good luck lads. Hope you get it before Christmas so you have plenty of time to play with it

Tzetze wrote: »
    My ebay purchase just arrived from Hong Kong. Duty/VAT charges came to 102.68

just looking back at your post, mine came to €99.31 wonder why it was a little less?

funny thing was postman told me to ask the sender to put a lower price on it as he wanted one but didnt want to pay customs!

oh and this is my very first post using the n900! so lovin this device :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Four of a kind

god's toy wrote: »
    just looking back at your post, mine came to €99.31 wonder why it was a little less?

funny thing was postman told me to ask the sender to put a lower price on it as he wanted one but didnt want to pay customs!

oh and this is my very first post using the n900! so lovin this device :)

whats the keyboard like? Is typing quick on it?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭RobbieM

n900guy wrote: »
    It is pretty amazing. I bought my in an electronics shop in Austria a few days ago. The manual is tiny, only 22 pages of basic intro instructions. It didn't say half of what this thing can do.

Video out of the box is excellent quality, playing DivX totally smoothly. I put the decoders-support package on (from Maemo.org) but still can't get MKV to work, or probably more likely, the h264 that I have been using is not supported yet. I got around 1/3 of the battery used up watching a movie which was 108 minutes long, at 3/5 brightness, so potentially you'd get a good few hours on a long plane journey. The screen was crystal clear but most impressively, you could zip in and out of the media player with no OS slowdown at all.

GPS is way way way better than my previous phones that had it (Touch HD, N95 8GB). It located my position within seconds, definitely under 20, which was very impressive (might have just been a clear day). Maps were included so it didn't need to download loads of data but it still uses data for positioning (you can turn it on and off). A problem though is that you can't get accurate details on the GPS lock and signal strength.

There are four basic desktops, and sliding between them is beautifully smooth, again the video processing is light years ahead of my experience on the HD, even with Dutty's recent ROMs (the most recent one actually, I can't remember which one specifically). Unfortunately I couldn't find a way to arrange things on a grid, so they don't come up too neatly. You can put whatever you want on them, so it's just like multiple desktops in X-Windows/Linux.

Which is the next amazing thing: I didn't know you actually had an X-Term right there in the Programs. You launch it and up comes a proper Linux shell. everything works, top, ps, apt-get. It's quite bizarre and I didn't realise it until then that really, this is really a micro-Linux PC with a phone attached.

but, unlike say, the Touch HD, the phone part and comms is entirely integrated into it. To connect to protected Wifi, it supports PIN-code access Wifi Protected Mode (on most routers in the past few years). Once you setup you Skype account in conversations, you then get the option to Skype call or IM any of your contacts - the contacts list integrates them all properly and you can sort by availability.

The integrated Skype looks just like the integrated Gmail and SMS - and the interface is absolutely perfect. It's totally slick and keeps everything in Gmail style Conversations; took me a bit to realise there was no "Text Message" button as I couldn't find it in the Programs :)

Web browsing was also a huge step up. the resolution is as is well know great, but I didn't realise that basically the Firefox-based browser is not like some cut down mobile version, it seems to be pretty complete, right down to even being able to do Facebook chat with the tiny little chat window that is at the bottom of the screen when you are on FB. I don't know what the limits are with regard to youtube (haven't tried it yet) but that was pretty amazing I thought!

It would be nice to be able to switch between PC Suite and Mass Data on the fly, but I couldn't find a way (on the taskbar, it is not a button, just an info section, unlike the Internet Connection button), so have to unplug and replug where it gives you the option again. PC Suite seems to work fine - I had reservations after PC Suite issues and Outlook before on the N95 - syncs with Outlook perfectly and for appointments the Calendar is very high tec and draws little lines over multiple days for long appointments. You have to see it really, looks like Star Trek :)

There seems to be more to discover about it as I use it. Nokia don't say much in the manual except for how to start it up. The intro movie when you first load says about the same. Under no circumstances think that this is another "Windows with a Phone added on" or else "Phone with a PIM added on". It's so entirely integrated into itself yet the interface is mind bendingly excellent (e..g, you get no slowdowns like when the Touch HD is running several apps and you are scrolling through the buttons).

EDIT: Forgot to add, the basic application database from Nokia is pretty small, but once you go to maemo.org and try to download something, it asks you whether you want to add to the catalogue, and then you get a whole load of more sections and apps added. You can just download and update all apps from there automatically it seems as it keeps them all in a repository (apt-get style).

Have you got the navigation working yet?

I cant believe it. I tried to cancel my expansys order on sunday. and now it's shipping!!

Now I'll have two n900's???? :confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

RobbieM wrote: »
    I cant believe it. I tried to cancel my expansys order on sunday. and now it's shipping!!

Ill give you 400 for one :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Tzetze

I imagine it has something to do with conversion rates being slightly different when each package went through customs. Sender had my package marked as £400 value. Glad to hear you got it. Sounds like everything works as expected.

I'm also surprised to see that expansys have begun shipping. Typical really that they become available just after I pay through the nose for one. Ah well, like yourself, I'm just glad to have my hands on one for the holidays. Hope everyone who's expecting theirs gets them before the delivery folks go on holidays.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Ill give you 400 for one :p

401 :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭SoundWave

picked mine up from anpost there a few hours ago... havnt got to play about with it too much but im loving what im seein so far. the web browsing experience is brilliant. keyboard feels better than n97 and the display is very crisp... got hit with 100.18 duty but got a few extras like desktop charger and spare battery so all im all im delighted

whats the keyboard like? Is typing quick on it?:D
    yep it's good. takes a little getting use to but yea i like it

lol and no it didnt take me all this time to type the reply

RobbieM wrote: »

Holy crap! You just reminded me to do the same on amazon! ha dont want 2!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭BlueMonke

vibe666 wrote: »
    all information that is amply provided on the sopcast website which would have been your first google result.

"googling" implies that you should actually read what you search for. :rolleyes:

I know exactly how to search and find information that Im looking for, please point out to me where on the sopcast site where it mentions Sling or what sources of video pleople here are watching. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: you must be able to read chinese to. :rolleyes:

DHL email re order tracking...

Reads...

[HTML]
    December 22, 2009 17:14 London-Heathrow - UK Shipment picked up
    December 22, 2009 19:47 London-Heathrow - UK Departing origin
    [/HTML]

My babys in the air, now I just need it to do an overnight Cannonball Ball to Dundalk.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Must... put...down......credit.....card. Must.......not.......buy......
    n900guy wrote: »
    It is pretty amazing. I bought my in an electronics shop in Austria a few days ago. The manual is tiny, only 22 pages of basic intro instructions. It didn't say half of what this thing can do.

Video out of the box is excellent quality, playing DivX totally smoothly. I put the decoders-support package on (from Maemo.org) but still can't get MKV to work, or probably more likely, the h264 that I have been using is not supported yet. I got around 1/3 of the battery used up watching a movie which was 108 minutes long, at 3/5 brightness, so potentially you'd get a good few hours on a long plane journey. The screen was crystal clear but most impressively, you could zip in and out of the media player with no OS slowdown at all.

GPS is way way way better than my previous phones that had it (Touch HD, N95 8GB). It located my position within seconds, definitely under 20, which was very impressive (might have just been a clear day). Maps were included so it didn't need to download loads of data but it still uses data for positioning (you can turn it on and off). A problem though is that you can't get accurate details on the GPS lock and signal strength.

There are four basic desktops, and sliding between them is beautifully smooth, again the video processing is light years ahead of my experience on the HD, even with Dutty's recent ROMs (the most recent one actually, I can't remember which one specifically). Unfortunately I couldn't find a way to arrange things on a grid, so they don't come up too neatly. You can put whatever you want on them, so it's just like multiple desktops in X-Windows/Linux.

Which is the next amazing thing: I didn't know you actually had an X-Term right there in the Programs. You launch it and up comes a proper Linux shell. everything works, top, ps, apt-get. It's quite bizarre and I didn't realise it until then that really, this is really a micro-Linux PC with a phone attached.

but, unlike say, the Touch HD, the phone part and comms is entirely integrated into it. To connect to protected Wifi, it supports PIN-code access Wifi Protected Mode (on most routers in the past few years). Once you setup you Skype account in conversations, you then get the option to Skype call or IM any of your contacts - the contacts list integrates them all properly and you can sort by availability.

The integrated Skype looks just like the integrated Gmail and SMS - and the interface is absolutely perfect. It's totally slick and keeps everything in Gmail style Conversations; took me a bit to realise there was no "Text Message" button as I couldn't find it in the Programs :)

Web browsing was also a huge step up. the resolution is as is well know great, but I didn't realise that basically the Firefox-based browser is not like some cut down mobile version, it seems to be pretty complete, right down to even being able to do Facebook chat with the tiny little chat window that is at the bottom of the screen when you are on FB. I don't know what the limits are with regard to youtube (haven't tried it yet) but that was pretty amazing I thought!

It would be nice to be able to switch between PC Suite and Mass Data on the fly, but I couldn't find a way (on the taskbar, it is not a button, just an info section, unlike the Internet Connection button), so have to unplug and replug where it gives you the option again. PC Suite seems to work fine - I had reservations after PC Suite issues and Outlook before on the N95 - syncs with Outlook perfectly and for appointments the Calendar is very high tec and draws little lines over multiple days for long appointments. You have to see it really, looks like Star Trek :)

There seems to be more to discover about it as I use it. Nokia don't say much in the manual except for how to start it up. The intro movie when you first load says about the same. Under no circumstances think that this is another "Windows with a Phone added on" or else "Phone with a PIM added on". It's so entirely integrated into itself yet the interface is mind bendingly excellent (e..g, you get no slowdowns like when the Touch HD is running several apps and you are scrolling through the buttons).

EDIT: Forgot to add, the basic application database from Nokia is pretty small, but once you go to maemo.org and try to download something, it asks you whether you want to add to the catalogue, and then you get a whole load of more sections and apps added. You can just download and update all apps from there automatically it seems as it keeps them all in a repository (apt-get style).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,705 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Well picking my N900 today whopee.For those who have it already what's the first thing I shoud do? Also any crap on the phone that's not needed I should remove or applications I should install, I am going to install cabbage & sopcast any others?
    Also doing the simple things like making a call & texting what's it like? Qwerty keyboard easy enough?

Well picking my N900 today whopee.For those who have it already what's the first thing I shoud do? Also any crap on the phone that's not needed I should remove or applications I should install, I am going to install cabbage & sopcast any others?
    Also doing the simple things like making a call & texting what's it like? Qwerty keyboard easy enough?

See if your SIM works in it (if your using 3) and/or make a call to see if the Mic is working.

Apps I downloaded were Ligflow, Bounce and Recorder, the first two were to test the accelerometer and the last was for the Mic and speaker testing.

I like the way the predictive text works even on the Qwerty, it helps you keep up to speed as you get use to the new way of using it.

Apps I downloaded were Ligflow, Bounce and Recorder

Are they on Maemo.org? OVI Store?

• Advertisement

the eagle has landed. first post from n900. will post review later. for the minute i will just say that seems like an absolute dream machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Any reports on mail client connectivity to exchange or using RDP clients to access servers?

Are they on Maemo.org? OVI Store?
    maemo.org. where i got them. links are in the 900

the eagle has landed. first post from n900. will post review later. for the minute i will just say that seems like an absolute dream machine.
    woohoo!!!!

looks like we will need our own n900 forum soon! lol

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

looks like we will need our own n900 forum soon! lol

Say what now? :)

best app so far...
    Torrent downloader
    n900 link: Transmission :-)

and then use this excellent search engine from nerrot

http://www.nerrot.com/

Theres are alot of memory to fill!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

just a heads up these things look very usfull for keeping your n900's safe im going to buy these protecters and i havnt even ordered my n900 yet haha
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260524765879
    its the first two products on this guys page

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭rushnaldo

So is it confirmed that Sopcast works on this phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Four of a kind

anyone still have their pre-order with expansys.ie?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

just a heads up these things look very usfull for keeping your n900's safe im going to buy these protecters and i havnt even ordered my n900 yet haha
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260524765879
    its the first two products on this guys page

I don't think the hard covers are needed but a screen protector probably is

Advertisement