Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia N900

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭PH4T

Are there any former N97 user using this?

How does it compare?

I currently have an N97 but hate the software and am thinking of changing. But dunno if the N900 is enough of a jump forward to justify the cost after only having the N97 for a few months...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Four of a kind

Question guys....

Since the N900 does not support the ability to create group contacts and send sms via groups...I was wondering would this option be available using Ovi Suite? I've just downloaded the latest version of it for my N95 8GB and there is the ability to create groups etc.

I need to be able to send group texts twice a week and when I get the N900 I was resolving to the fact of having to put my sim back into the N95 twice a week in order to be able to send group texts.

Does any of the N900 users know if its possible to send group texts using Ovi suite??? I've tried but I can't seem to be able to see where to send a group text on it. I can create the groups no problem...but I can't find where to send the bloody group sms!

Would be absolutely brill for me if so....

Just discoverd the answer to the above! Its "currently not possible to send a group sms, but we are currently looking to do this feature"!!!

This function was available on PC suite and it was very good. Again, I cannot understand the omission of such an important feature both on a cellular device or indeed in a program like Ovi suite. Very Strange. But I suppose a future update could remedy this problem.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Just discoverd the answer to the above! Its "currently not possible to send a group sms, but we are currently looking to do this feature"!!!

This function was available on PC suite and it was very good. Again, I cannot understand the omission of such an important feature both on a cellular device or indeed in a program like Ovi suite. Very Strange. But I suppose a future update could remedy this problem.
    You could always use webtexts until they include it.

You could always use webtexts until they include it.

but i've the free text bundle with o2 so it would'nt make sense to have to pay for webtexts?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

but i've the free text bundle with o2 so it would'nt make sense to have to pay for webtexts?

o2 give you free webtexts.

o2 give you free webtexts.

only 250 per month and i send out about 300 per week via group text.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭joedumper

First Impressions, ( after half day ) ,

Awesome !!

The first mobile, sub laptop , device i've had that truly lives up to the term " Mobile Computer ".

The internet experience is unparralled.

Menu's and general interaction takes a short while to get accustomed to, but is very consistent, and becomes intuitive.

Only really scratched the surface though.... many hours of playing ahead :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

First post from N900:) Happy xmas

Just now working on how to add contacts to screen and working on simple things like texting. Have not hooked it up to PC yet to load stuff on
    must have missed your post this morning (lack of Coffee im blaming)

Welcome to the N900 Club! Hope you enjoy this baby as much as I do :)

Have not tried to change ring tones or install my own that difficult?

Well lets just say you cant change it (yet)
    From what ive read it's on the next firmware update so for now we are all stuck with the (now kinda chilled out sounding) Nokia Ring tone.

I really hope somone brings out some app or code to change this soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

so have been playing with my n900 for a good while now and have got the hang off it all and i ahve to say it is at the moment the best phone i have ever used. once some software updates come out i just can't imagine how better its going to get.

have added windows live messenger as a conversation protocol and its runs perfectly. also a cool little thing called camkeyd allows you to use the camera key as a button to get to the dashboard(only works when the camera lens is closed).

DrnokSnes emulator works flawlessly. playing killer instinct there for awhile.(i own the game so thats okay to play!!)

screen is the most responsive resistive screen i have EVER used. it is like a hybrid capacitive/resistive screen. trust me when you get yours or at least play with one you will be impressed.

also downloaded an episode of a tv show using transmission and it plays perfectly on the device. also looks great through the tv out.

anyone else find any cool apps.

i added extras-devel and extras-testing and there are alot in there.

also saw that mkv codec is supported depending on the files inside but that is a start so the more codecs the better.

Thor wrote: »
    so have been playing with my n900 for a good while now and have got the hang off it all and i ahve to say it is at the moment the best phone i have ever used. once some software updates come out i just can't imagine how better its going to get.

have added windows live messenger as a conversation protocol and its runs perfectly. also a cool little thing called camkeyd allows you to use the camera key as a button to get to the dashboard(only works when the camera lens is closed).

DrnokSnes emulator works flawlessly. playing killer instinct there for awhile.(i own the game so thats okay to play!!)

screen is the most responsive resistive screen i have EVER used. it is like a hybrid capacitive/resistive screen. trust me when you get yours or at least play with one you will be impressed.

also downloaded an episode of a tv show using transmission and it plays perfectly on the device. also looks great through the tv out.

anyone else find any cool apps.

i added extras-devel and extras-testing and there are alot in there.

also saw that mkv codec is supported depending on the files inside but that is a start so the more codecs the better.

Am liking the sounds of this! Could you explain what transmission is and what its for?
    Is is some torrent downloader??

yeah i used xtremespeeds to download the torrent(on the phones browser). once you click on a torrent to download it, it will ask you to either save it or open with transmission(once installed that is).

if you hit open, Transmission opens up and asks what files in the torrent you want downloaded and once you pick them, it starts downloading.

got full speed over wifi connection at home(20mb) and downloaded a full film in less then 10 minutes.

absolutely EXCELLENT software. well worth getting. odd time you might have a freeze or crash but that rarley happens now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭SoundWave

god's toy wrote: »
    Well lets just say you cant change it (yet)
    From what ive read it's on the next firmware update so for now we are all stuck with the (now kinda chilled out sounding) Nokia Ring tone.

I really hope somone brings out some app or code to change this soon.

u can change the ringtone... settings - profiles. scroll down... to where it says ringing tone then press on nokia tune and yuo can either select from list or add tone from file

p.s. happy christmas

yeah i used xtremespeeds to download the torrent(on the phones browser). once you click on a torrent to download it, it will ask you to either save it or open with transmission(once installed that is).

if you hit open, Transmission opens up and asks what files in the torrent you want downloaded and once you pick them, it starts downloading.

got full speed over wifi connection at home(20mb) and downloaded a full film in less then 10 minutes.

absolutely EXCELLENT software. well worth getting. odd time you might have a freeze or crash but that rarley happens now.

Deadly!!! Sounds excellen allright. Will add xtremespeeds and transmission to my apps list for when I get the device. Christ I can hardly wait to get my hands on it.

SoundWave wrote: »
    u can change the ringtone... settings - profiles. scroll down... to where it says ringing tone then press on nokia tune and yuo can either select from list or add tone from file

p.s. happy christmas

Thanks!

LO you know whats silly about that? Me!

I didn't see you could scroll down beyond that so I did a google on how to change it and read it could not be changed until the next update (maybe that was the one just gone in November?)
    Anyhoo I didn't look after that and posted here with that update.

Yea my bad.

Good god I gotta stop just going by the first links I find.

Yep happy Christmas to you!

xtremespeeds.net is just a private torrent tracker that i use. if you want a invite for it just let me know.

excellent site. everything new is uploaded there first and works perfectly. great for the n900 aswell.

also like robbiem said nerrot is pretty good aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

For anyone adding extras-testing and especially extras-devel, just remember to keep an eye on the size of your rootfs partition as it could fill up very quickly.

You can use the "df -h" command from xterm to check this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,705 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Anyone know if you can add the add ons in the browser ie addblock etc tried it and it wont install. Just figured out the lock code default is 12345 so have to change that. Have not installed sopcast as yet as have that on pc

Any good apps for this phone / tablet

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭lunacyfoundme

New N900 firmware is out for testing to a choosen few.

http://thenokiablog.com/2009/12/25/nokia-n900-firmware-update-pr11/

They say it'll be released 'when it's ready'. Hate the thought of aving to reinstall everything again so I'll wait to see what changes are on it before I decide to upgrade.

Might have some videos of the N900 to put up later for those still awaiting theirs or on the fence. Needless to say I second everyone elses opinons. This is the best device Ive ever owned. Getting DrNokSnes to work was the icing on the cake. Three words. Super. Mario. Kart.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I think this thread has pushed me off the fence tbh, i want one! I'll just have to wait and see what the prices are like by the end of Jan. If Cloves price remains the same i'll buy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,705 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

. Getting DrNokSnes to work was the icing on the cake. Three words. Super. Mario. Kart.

Ok what is DrNokSnes and how do I install it would like to have super mario kart on my n900

funny enough that expansys tried to charge me there last week and said they were unable to ship my item because of it.

have had a preorder since september.

hmmmm wonder if they actually had it in stock or what was going on there.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭rushnaldo

Its 3pm SAturday... anyone doing any football streaming on the n900?

funny enough that expansys tried to charge me there last week and said they were unable to ship my item because of it.

have had a preorder since september.

hmmmm wonder if they actually had it in stock or what was going on there.

expansys.ie still have the "48 in Stock" beside the N900. I've mine preordered the past three weeks and its killing me waiting, so I can only imagine how you feel.

I got mine from Expansys.co.uk. They didnt take the money until the day after I got it by DHL which I thought a bit odd.
    Ok what is DrNokSnes and how do I install it would like to have super mario kart on my n900

DrNokSnes is a SNES emulator for Maemo. It used to be on Maemo.org but Nintendo kicked up a fuss and so it was taken off. There's another repository that still has it. Youll have to set it up under Application Manager -> Application Catalogues.

Catalog Name: Maemo Nintendo Emulators
    Web Address: http://b-man.xceleo.org/repo/maemo-nintendo-emulators/
    Distribution: (Leave Blank)
    Components: main

I had some trouble the first time i tried it was saying I needed libzeemote and libzeemoteconf installed first. Never got them installed as far as I know but just tried installing DrNokSnes again at one point and it just worked. There's also EMUs for Master System, GameGear, GameBoy, GameBoyAdvance, NES. No MegaDrive/Genesis yet, think theyre working on it though.

expansys.ie still have the "48 in Stock" beside the N900. I've mine preordered the past three weeks and its killing me waiting, so I can only imagine how you feel.

well i already got mine from america so i dont mind.

cost me $620 which came to 440 euro which i think was a grreat price compared to the 580-590.

glad i did get it as i was sick of waiting for expansys.

my order on expansys says awaiting futher info from me. so i could still probably get that one if i wanted and they would ship it once i pay them.

Videos are coming out too blurry (recorded with N95 for Gods sake ;) ), so here's some screens. Incidentally anyone whos having trouble with battery running down really fast disconnect wireless and 3G internet connections. Massively increases the battery time.

screenshot00.png

screenshot02.png

screenshot04.png

screenshot05.png

screenshot06.png

screenshot10.png

screenshot11.png

screenshot13.png

screenshot14.png

screenshot15.png

screenshot16.png

screenshot17.png

screenshot18.png

Are there any retail stores in New York that would be selling this and if so how much would it be? I've got a friend heading over in january so if the price is right I might get him to buy it for me.

• Advertisement

Video here of me landing in dublin airport there on christmas eve morning coming home from new york.

Recorded with the lovely n900.

Enjoy

Advertisement