Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia N900

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

Are there any retail stores in New York that would be selling this and if so how much would it be? I've got a friend heading over in january so if the price is right I might get him to buy it for me.

440 euro is what it cost me in the nokia flagship store on 57th street.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Thor wrote: »

believe that flagship store is closing soon...best check out in advance

€440 for a N900 - there would be no choice at all if I could get it for that little :o you could have made a bomb "importing" them (at great risk of a loss if customs found out!) :D

Hey Thor - am I imagining it or did your post stating the N900 cost you €440 occur on your 440th post???????? Twilight zone :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭PH4T

Thor, weren't you one of the first to get a N97 on here? I think ur initial enthusiasm persuaded me to get one. I'm not liking the N97 much and thinking of selling it and getting an N900. It'll prob cost me at least €150 more to get the N900. Would you recommend it?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

€440 is pretty damn good. I'll check and see if it's still opened closer to the date.

PH4T wrote: »
    Thor, weren't you one of the first to get a N97 on here? I think ur initial enthusiasm persuaded me to get one. I'm not liking the N97 much and thinking of selling it and getting an N900. It'll prob cost me at least €150 more to get the N900. Would you recommend it?

yeah i think the price off it made me want to enjoy it so much. but believe me the n900 corrects everything(maybe not everything but most things) that were wrong with the n97.

i really enjoy using it and it doesnt take long to get use to it. really feels like stongly built phone.

defo worth getting it!!!!

• Advertisement

believe that flagship store is closing soon...best check out in advance

€440 for a N900 - there would be no choice at all if I could get it for that little :o you could have made a bomb "importing" them (at great risk of a loss if customs found out!) :D

Hey Thor - am I imagining it or did your post stating the N900 cost you €440 occur on your 440th post???????? Twilight zone :eek:

who spots something like that!!!!!

it was indeed my 440th post.

Do i win something!!! or will i just have to sit in the corner facing the wall(nah i will play with my n900!!!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭SoundWave

yeah i think the price off it made me want to enjoy it so much. but believe me the n900 corrects everything(maybe not everything but most things) that were wrong with the n97.

i really enjoy using it and it doesnt take long to get use to it. really feels like stongly built phone.

defo worth getting it!!!!

+1

i went from n97 to n900 and its defo wotrh the move.... the n97 looks lovely but doesnt deliver on performance.. but so far the n900 completly delivers. very easy to get used to and the web experience is as good as it gets on a mobile device.

now... off to adverts to sell my n97 :p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

For any of you using my webtext app, what do you think? Are there any improvements you can think of or have you had any problems?

Just to note the next version is going to be able to save sent messages to the standard message store and show in conversations. This is in extras-devel now but I want to do more testing before prmoting to testing.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

matrim wrote: »
    Just to note the next version is going to be able to save sent messages to the standard message store and show in conversations. This is in extras-devel now but I want to do more testing before prmoting to testing.

I don't have an n900 to test out your app but this feature would be a great addition.

matrim wrote: »
    For any of you using my webtext app, what do you think? Are there any improvements you can think of or have you had any problems?

i have been using it for the last few days now i have to say its pretty damn good!!!

havent had any problems with it at all, fair play for the work man!!

• Advertisement

I don't have an n900 to test out your app but this feature would be a great addition.
    cheers. I hope to get around to fully integrating it to conversations for sending too but don't know enough about the telepathy api now. There's supposed to be a developer tutorial on the way, so when this is out I should be able to improve it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,705 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

DrNokSnes is a SNES emulator for Maemo. It used to be on Maemo.org but Nintendo kicked up a fuss and so it was taken off. There's another repository that still has it. Youll have to set it up under Application Manager -> Application Catalogues.

Catalog Name: Maemo Nintendo Emulators
    Web Address: http://b-man.xceleo.org/repo/maemo-nintendo-emulators/
    Distribution: (Leave Blank)
    Components: main

Where is the application manager cant seem to locate this? Also what do you do with the link.......bit of a Noobie for this

Other simple questions ? How do you add a pic to a contact :confused:
    Is there any way to disable wifi ? Everytime I go to parents house it connects me? What I want to do is be able to search for wifis and connect accordingly with my home wifi been the default and this would connect when I choose to and not have to insert the wep key each time
    Hope I explained this correctly?

Other simple questions ? How do you add a pic to a contact :confused:
    Is there any way to disable wifi ? Everytime I go to parents house it connects me? What I want to do is be able to search for wifis and connect accordingly with my home wifi been the default and this would connect when I choose to and not have to insert the wep key each time
    Hope I explained this correctly?

To add a picture to a contact, open the contacts app, click on the picture icon to open edit mode. In the edit dialog click on the pic icon again and browse for the picture.

To change the internet connection, goto settings -> Internet connections. There's an option there to connect automatically. You can set it to "Always ask" (i.e. ask which connection when an app requests it), "WLAN", "your 3G connection" or any

I don't think there's a way to get it to only connect automatically to some WLAN's, if that is what you are asking. It's either connect to any available wlan or ask

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Four of a kind

Anyone using the invisible shield on their N900? If so, is the touchscreen affected in any way??

Weird...I keep getting my avast antivirus popping up any time i click into the mobiles & PDA's section here on boards, telling me its blocked a malicious virus!! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭lunacyfoundme

Where is the application manager cant seem to locate this? Also what do you do with the link

Go to main menu (the squares at the top right of the homescreen) -> Then goto to 'More' at the bottom right of the main menu -> then 'App Manager' should be on the right of the next screen -> run that then go to the 'Application manager' drop down menu at the top and select 'Application catalogues' then select 'New'.

Here youll get a screen looking for all those details, just enter them in and save then the catalogues should update.

Heres the page I got it from.

http://theunlockr.com/2009/12/08/how-to-get-the-snes-emulator-on-the-nokia-n900/

Also on disabling Wireless you can also turn it off if you go to the status box at the top of the home screen. Ive found that disabling it and 3g makes a huge huge difference to battery life.

Go to main menu (the squares at the top right of the homescreen) -> Then goto to 'More' at the bottom right of the main menu -> then 'App Manager' should be on the right of the next screen -> run that then go to the 'Application manager' drop down menu at the top and select 'Application catalogues' then select 'New'.

Here youll get a screen looking for all those details, just enter them in and save then the catalogues should update.

Heres the page I got it from.

http://theunlockr.com/2009/12/08/how-to-get-the-snes-emulator-on-the-nokia-n900/

Also on disabling Wireless you can also turn it off if you go to the status box at the top of the home screen. Ive found that disabling it and 3g makes a huge huge difference to battery life.

Sound got this to work now just have to figure out the controls to move Mario:rolleyes: Trying to save on battery so was looking at settings re 3g and googled others

After a few days of it getting used to it. Cannot save drafts in texting and phone quality is excellent. Still discovering things about it each day

Ok trying to figure out how to disconnect from wireless. Hooked up now and browse web but after I close down web it stays connected = draining of battery how can you stop this?

Sound got this to work now just have to figure out the controls to move Mario:rolleyes: Trying to save on battery so was looking at settings re 3g and googled others

After a few days of it getting used to it. Cannot save drafts in texting and phone quality is excellent. Still discovering things about it each day

Ok trying to figure out how to disconnect from wireless. Hooked up now and browse web but after I close down web it stays connected = draining of battery how can you stop this?
    To disconnect, click on the clock \ status area, select internet connection and you can disconnect from there

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Four of a kind

Is this just you or is it a case of it can't be done at this stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭collybyrne

Hi another fence sitter here. Is anyone here changing over to the n900 from the iphone 3gs? My big dilemma is between those two i really dont know which to go for. The camera on the n900 is a big draw for me but the range of apps for the iphone is also very attractive. Anyone any thoughts?

Also does anyone here have an idea when they are going to be available on vodafone?

Thanks alot.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

so to everyone that has this phone is it a step up in terms of smartphones (how good is it?) is it worth 600 euro?

• Advertisement

so to everyone that has this phone is it a step up in terms of smartphones (how good is it?) is it worth 600 euro?

i got it for 440 and was perpared to pay 600. its well worth the 600.

Rang the Nokia Store on 57th Street (though I have yet to find someone out there that is coming home soon!)

Current price $569 - that equals approx €400. God I want to be in New York right now.

is it worth 600 euro?

Totally. The Iphone can suck it.

Rang the Nokia Store on 57th Street (though I have yet to find someone out there that is coming home soon!)

Current price $569 - that equals approx €400. God I want to be in New York right now.

its actually $620 when you include tax and it came to €440 for me.

its actually $620 when you include tax and it came to €440 for me.

ahh ok! Still fantastic value, I will have to find someone coming home from NY!

ya it would be great to be able to buy it from america but my only options right now are online so il probly be buying off expansys ( first time buying off them are they reliable?)

Apart from all the horrible delays, which wasnt really their fault I found them reliable. I ordered from .co.uk rather than .ie. Delivery was 13.50 for next day to Ireland. Got it early the next day after getting a disbatched email at about 4 in the evening.

Just noticed the fuc#ers dropped the price on .co.uk from what I ordered it at. Oh well, no regrets.

ya its £505 on uk site but can they catch you for customs or any extra cost (was that 10 euro for delivery from the uk site?) 505 pounds = 569euro wheras its 598 euro on ie site, do they have any problem posting to the republic?

Ok messing around with it and you can add adblock to the browser

Also installed the FM Radio application and tested it out and not bad pretty basic but it gives you an FM radio which I think is good. Still cannot figure out if you can save a text or draft :confused:

Mighty fine device:D

• Advertisement

ya its £505 on uk site but can they catch you for customs or any extra cost (was that 10 euro for delivery from the uk site?) 505 pounds = 569euro wheras its 598 euro on ie site, do they have any problem posting to the republic?

you dont get charged customs on anything shipped from an eu country, also expansys ship from there uk store to ireland. bought the n97 off them and payed with my laser.

the amount of delays there was i just got fed up and got it in new york. glad i did as the price difference was great. no warranty but i dont mind as i will have insurance on it soon.

Advertisement