Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia N900

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

what network ye guys using and is the 3g any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭lunacyfoundme

but can they catch you for customs

nah the customs cant charge you cause its being posted from inside the EU. Youd only get that with deliveries from America and such. They will however charge you the Irish VAT rate if youre ordering from the Republic and they will prob ask for prrof of residence ie copy of utility bill. Next day delivery to Republic is 13.50 think thats pounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭RobbieM

Thor wrote: »
    xtremespeeds.net is just a private torrent tracker that i use. if you want a invite for it just let me know.

excellent site. everything new is uploaded there first and works perfectly. great for the n900 aswell.

also like robbiem said nerrot is pretty good aswell.

invite me to xtremespeeds.net pls. I would like to compare.

:::: :confused: Has anyone found the adapter charger useless??? :confused:

I tried to charge using my old n95 charger and adapter yesterday and my phone powered off while charging!!!

I have dim screen, on 2g, no bt, no gps (network or sat), and wifi off???

That cant be right? so I'm wondering is it the adapter? I am finding the usb the quickest at charging? anyone else notice this? so for example, my car charger with adapter is pointless.

Also. I have an extra n900. arrived this morning from expansys. I am gonna return it this week unless someone want to give me the cost. :-)

23/12/09 WWW.E+PAN$Y$.COM 625.65

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

RobbieM wrote: »

I tried to charge using my old n95 charger and adapter yesterday and my phone powered off while charging!!!

That cant be right? so I'm wondering is it the adapter? I am finding the usb the quickest at charging? anyone else notice this? so for example, my car charger with adapter is pointless.

Also. I have an extra n900. arrived this morning from expansys. I am gonna return it this week unless someone want to give me the cost. :-)

Is that pounds?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

If that's Dollars i'll take it off your hands. Worth a shot!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Four of a kind

Pm sent

Whats the differnce between a NAM N900 and the european version? Any keyboard differences, wi-fi, connections etc...

Anyone know if its available in the shops in the UK? Would take a cheap flight over for the day if so, and pick one up in liverpool or London.

No one seems to know if its available in stores or not :confused:

ORDER SHIPPED!!! :D:D:D

Just got email from expansys.ie today with confirmation that my order has shipped :)!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Ah I knew something was missing from my box...
    didn't get one of those in the box and I must have 6 Nokia chargers in the house.

Ebay, here I come!

LK1 wrote: »
    I ordered one of these

www.zagg.com/invisibleshield/nokia-n900-cases-screen-protectors-covers-skins-shields.php

Not cheap but hopefully good.

n900 sittin in Enniskillen.Don't think I'll chance the drive today:(

Can anyone confirm if this shield makes the screen on the n900 less responsive?

Thinking of ordering one of these

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Carphonewarehouse in UK - FREE N900 for a £35 per month 24month contract including:

500 MB Anytime Any network
    600 minutes Anytime Any network
    Unlimited minutes Anytime Landline
    Unlimited texts Anytime Any network

Not that it's any good for here but they get good deals over in the UK don't they..

Carphonewarehouse in UK - FREE N900 for a £35 per month 24month contract including:

500 MB Anytime Any network
    600 minutes Anytime Any network
    Unlimited minutes Anytime Landline
    Unlimited texts Anytime Any network

Not that it's any good for here but they get good deals over in the UK don't they..

Its a disgrace that the UK get so much better deals that us over here. How come? Whats the reasoning behind it?

Maybe cos you could fit all of us in London?

god's toy wrote: »

Possibly!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭foobar

Is there any good Twitter client available yet?

Was going to ask this questions as well regarding Twitter. Also, what app are def worth installing on the N900?

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭joedumper

So, 5 days in, using the N900...... and loving it !

it really is the device i'd been lookin for.
    a brilliant, very useable browser,,,
    so much so that my laptop has been getting far less use for general internet checking, even while at home, never mind on the go !

only very minor gripes :
    cant seem to disable vibration on IM notifications only.
    playlist creation not very intuitive, but grand.

the only real issue i'm having is,
    can't seem to get connected to vodafone 3G for data purposes ( 3G connected grand for calls )

i've checked my settings :
    isp.vodafone.ie
    vodafone
    vodafone

but just getting internet connection failed :(

anyone seeing similar ???

foobar wrote: »
    Is there any good Twitter client available yet?

I use this one for Twitter, works well.

http://rabbitrun84.blogspot.com/2009/12/twitter-plugin-for-n900-contacts-and.html

just as a matter of interest, why is it useful to use twitter, facebook etc applications on a device like the n900, when there's the full web browsing experience available?

Twitter and Facebook (and more) applications integrate into the device completely so they become part of your contacts list.
    this means if someone responds to you, you receive it like you would a text and you can respond as such.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Gekko

how are you guys that have one finding the signal reception on it, out of curiosity?

ie does it seem to hold a 3G signal when you have one in areas where the signal strength can be patchy at best?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

to be fair, i've been to london and i'm pretty sure most of you are already there. :pac::pac::pac:

in all seriousness though, three of the four major mobile operators are also three of the major mobile operators in the UK too, so i don't see any reason why we shouldn't get the same concessions as UK mobile users, particularly as irish mobile users spend more on mobile calls than anyone else in europe (apparently), according to a newspaper article i read a while ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭foobar

just as a matter of interest, why is it useful to use twitter, facebook etc applications on a device like the n900, when there's the full web browsing experience available?

Its a fair question but it just comes down to personal preference, I much prefer clients like twitterrific and twettie to using twitter web page.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,705 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Gekko wrote: »
    how are you guys that have one finding the signal reception on it, out of curiosity?

ie does it seem to hold a 3G signal when you have one in areas where the signal strength can be patchy at best?

Was around Dublin city yesterday and it was pretty good. Also on the suburbs of the Northside of Dublin no problem on Southside now no problem either. Did install the facebook application that shows when friends post, scrolling message, not on bill pay so dont need that. As previous post dont need this as web browser is good. If anyone has any other good applications let me know

Still cant get Mario to move what keys do you press:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭tw0nk

At some stage over the next 2-3 months Im going to buy a new phone, whether its on contract or sim-free it will more than likely be the iPhone or Nexus One. Im waiting to see what Apple and Google announce at their press releases in January and will make my decision based on that.

What Im keen to find out from the posters on this thread is:
    - Why pick the n900 over the other 2?
    - Do you think Maemo will contend at all with android and iPhone osx?
    - What does n900 offer over iPhone?
    - Is the n900 UI REALLY as good as iPhones? IMO no phone has come up to par yet and iPhone is 2 years old now. It looks like Nexus One may match it though
    - Is it possible/planned to put android on n900?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 NiallOM

Has anyone got this phone working for connecting to the internet with O2? If so, what settings did you use?
    Can't get the phone working with O2 for connecting to the internet (its fine for phone calls)... the phone was bought in the US, so not sure if this is the problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

NiallOM wrote: »
    Has anyone got this phone working for connecting to the internet with O2? If so, what settings did you use?
    Can't get the phone working with O2 for connecting to the internet (its fine for phone calls)... the phone was bought in the US, so not sure if this is the problem?

Working fine for me. It picked up the settings automatically and they are

Name: o2 IE Internet
    Type: Packet Data

Access point name: open.internet
    username: gprs
    password: gprs
    Prompt password: not checked

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭RobbieM

use fring? it's the best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 NiallOM

matrim wrote: »
    Working fine for me. It picked up the settings automatically and they are

Name: o2 IE Internet
    Type: Packet Data

Access point name: open.internet
    username: gprs
    password: gprs
    Prompt password: not checked

Ok, will try. Thanks alot.

• Advertisement

Just received my N900 this morning by courier! Can't wait to get it charged up later and fire it up!.

I noticed that you only get a micro usb charger with a plug at the other end for charging...so its not possible to use standard nokia chargers for this device????

Advertisement