Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia N900

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Just received my N900 this morning by courier! Can't wait to get it charged up later and fire it up!.

I noticed that you only get a micro usb charger with a plug at the other end for charging...so its not possible to use standard nokia chargers for this device????
    i would guess not, the n97 was exactly the same and afaik pretty much every phone made from the end of 2009 onwards will share the same data and charging connection to standardise it across the mobile industry which is probably long overdue and is going to work out better for everyone in the long run. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Four of a kind

vibe666 wrote: »
    i would guess not, the n97 was exactly the same and afaik pretty much every phone made from the end of 2009 onwards will share the same data and charging connection to standardise it across the mobile industry which is probably long overdue and is going to work out better for everyone in the long run. :)

Yeah thats true enough. I suppose for another year at least until there's alot more devices that utilize the usb charger, there will be the slight problem of not having a charger available if you needed to charge it.

But as you said, probably better in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Gekko wrote: »
    how are you guys that have one finding the signal reception on it, out of curiosity?

ie does it seem to hold a 3G signal when you have one in areas where the signal strength can be patchy at best?

As soon as my darn 3 USIM start to work in the N900 I'll let you know....
    Please hurry up and fix it Nokia!

RobbieM wrote: »
    use fring? it's the best.

Is Fring out for the 900? Last time I looked it was not ready.
    Also does it integrate into the os?

Edit:

Ah I see it's in the the extras_devel repository.. Not fully tested yet so. I'll wait a little longer I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭RobbieM

god's toy wrote: »
    Is Fring out for the 900? Last time I looked it was not ready.
    Also does it integrate into the os?

Edit:

Ah I see it's in the the extras_devel repository.. Not fully tested yet so. I'll wait a little longer I think.

fring.install -> I have fring working with no issues
    fmradio.install -> fm radio will probably be included in the next release
    n900fly.install -> funny app and works!

• Advertisement

RobbieM wrote: »
    fring.install -> I have fring working with no issues
    fmradio.install -> fm radio will probably be included in the next release
    n900fly.install -> funny app and works!

Good links :)

Whats really funny is the n900fly, HA LOVE the idea of seeing how high I can throw my N900.... NOT!

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭n900guy

tw0nk wrote: »
    At some stage over the next 2-3 months Im going to buy a new phone, whether its on contract or sim-free it will more than likely be the iPhone or Nexus One. Im waiting to see what Apple and Google announce at their press releases in January and will make my decision based on that.

What Im keen to find out from the posters on this thread is:
    - Why pick the n900 over the other 2?
    I was not fan of what I regard as limited features of the Iphone 3GS and I was buying to get roaming broadband, I preferred to stick with the N900. I've been waiting a few months to buy a new one, and skipped over the N97 when I read of the N900.
    - Do you think Maemo will contend at all with android and iPhone osx?
    Maemo is based on debian and as such is a far more than what Android or Iphone offers - mostly based on more easily ported apps, and not a new distribution like Android (AFAIK). Iphone's OS doesn't allow proper multitasking unless jailbreaked from my reading, which is a ridiculous step backwards.
    What does n900 offer over iPhone?
    Off the bat, from my own preferences, the specs of the N900 dominate everything. 10Mbit HSDPA, 800x480 screen, expandable memory, keyboard, etc., etc., . It's more of a computer than a phone TBH. New technology is what I like to have and so I tend to avoid Apple (in general) but even my old N95 8GB had more useful features than the iPhone from my opinion.
    Is the n900 UI REALLY as good as iPhones? IMO no phone has come up to par yet and iPhone is 2 years old now. It looks like Nexus One may match it though
    That is up to personal preference really. I think the N900 UI (excluding the OS underlying it) is superb, as it flows so fast between tasks. The Iphone which has the same graphics chip but is significantly underclocked and perhaps the performance of the N900 has something to do with that; I don't really value "User friendliness" as a selling point, because I can generally figure out most UIs easily, as can most people. However, the integration of IM/Skype, etc., puts it way way way out in front.

just tried to insert my o2 sim card(that I've had for about 4 years) into the N900, but it doesn't seem to fit??

I presume i have to get a new sim with the same number of course???

Is this the "legacy" sim thing i've been reading about lately?

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭RobbieM

Good links :)

Whats really funny is the n900fly, HA LOVE the idea of seeing how high I can throw my N900.... NOT!

Yea, n900fly is a strange one. after all the waiting for precious and throw it as high as you can!.... and catch it!!! :D

http://i945.photobucket.com/albums/ad291/n900robbiem/screenshot03.png

• Registered Users Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

just tried to insert my o2 sim card(that I've had for about 4 years) into the N900, but it doesn't seem to fit??

I presume i have to get a new sim with the same number of course???

Is this the "legacy" sim thing i've been reading about lately?

I don't think so - as far as i know all sims are same size, are you pulling back the cover - it opens and you "drop" the sim in and then close the bracket as far as I can tell from pictures below..

http://senseapplied.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/NokiaN900SIMslot.jpg

• Advertisement

I don't think so - as far as i know all sims are same size, are you pulling back the cover - it opens and you "drop" the sim in and then close the bracket as far as I can tell from pictures below..

http://senseapplied.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/NokiaN900SIMslot.jpg

It just feels that if i press the cover down that it will snap or something. I'll try again :(

nope...def does'nt feel right guys. Its a normal o2 sim card i have.

OK, 3rd time lucky! Got it sorted. :)

also make sure its the right way up.
    sounds funny but i have seen people get that one wrong.

OK, 3rd time lucky! Got it sorted. :)

Grand job!

Has anyone gone to the Nokia Ovi Store for the N900 - a few apps there for browsing.

Grand job!

Has anyone gone to the Nokia Ovi Store for the N900 - a few apps there for browsing.

Ovi store isn't available yet? I've been on the Maemo select widget on one of the desktop. Is this where I can download the various app's that are available for the N900 currently?

Also, where's skype on the phone?

hmmm, i cant see that while using the n900 to view

well I haven't got a N900 yet :(
    so I am viewing it on a PC ! Maybe the site is not operational yet for N900 to view? Though a website is a website?

edit - i see on the pc that when i type that address in it converts to https://store.ovi.com so maybe use it with the secure (s) after http

well I haven't got a N900 yet :(
    so I am viewing it on a PC ! Maybe the site is not operational yet for N900 to view? Though a website is a website?

I'm just looking where to find the likes of gpodder, mastory, hermes etc to install on the n900. :D

yep just comes up saying its not open for the n900 yet.

where can i get a few app to install?

• Advertisement

sorry I meant to post another link as well

when you are logged in to the ovi store (i.e. registered with ovi) go to this link where it shows the first N900 apps (though I don't think they work yet just shows you the available apps)

https://store.ovi.com/account/settings/set-device?terminalId=N900&fragment=1

I'm just looking where to find the likes of gpodder, mastory, hermes etc to install on the n900. :D

I found this site which looks brill - God I want a N900 :D It has the apps you refer to.

http://my-maemo.com/software/

and this official site - I'm presuming Maemo5 apps all work on the N900?

http://maemo.org/downloads/Maemo5/

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭lunacyfoundme

gpodder, mastory, hermes

Hermes is available on maemo.org, I think I got it there. Very handy app. You just have to set up the repositories in App Manager on your N900.

Is my-maemo.org trustworthy? I like the idea of Duke Nukem 3D on my phone.

sorry I meant to post another link as well

when you are logged in to the ovi store (i.e. registered with ovi) go to this link where it shows the first N900 apps (though I don't think they work yet just shows you the available apps)

https://store.ovi.com/account/settings/set-device?terminalId=N900&fragment=1

I found this site which looks brill - God I want a N900 :D It has the apps you refer to.

http://my-maemo.com/software/

Thanks so much. I presume I can visit that site via the N900 and download straight from there or what?

Have to say that after a few hours playing with the N900, its the best device i've ever had. I've never had a touchscreen before and that was my biggest concern. But honestly the interface is just a dream. Yeah there are a few things that should/will be ironed out in a few FW updates but so far its bloody savage.

It is a little complicated to get the hang over it first, well in my case it is anyways. I had a N95 8GB for the past two years and loved it. But the web browsing experience on this thing is crazy. I'm not too nerdy when it comes to phones etc...but I know that this baby will have people frothing at the mouth with the capabilities!

Duke Nukem seems to be on a few sites

http://maemoworld.org/2009/12/29/duke-nukem-3d-for-the-nokia-n900/#more-398

Hermes is available on maemo.org, I think I got it there. Very handy app. You just have to set up the repositories in App Manager on your N900.

what does this mean?:confused:

if you look in your app manager you will find some but you can find many more by enableing the extra repositories.
    link should help.

http://maemocentral.com/2009/12/29/how-to-enable-extras-extras-testing-extras-devel-repositories-on-the-n900-with-one-click/

I'm going to Melbourne via Abu Dhabi with Ethiad in late January - according to some reports the N900 is for sale there at about €450 in the Duty Free - grateful if anyone could confirm :D (If I can wait that long)

In my app manager, every time I try and install a program it seems to get stuck half way. I've the repositories enabled. Finding it hard to get anything installed onto device.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

god dam my-maemo.org looks class with all of the apps:) cannot wait to get this phone

• Advertisement

well after 12 hours of use since i charged this up-i still have just under quarter of the battery left!!!! the wifi was connected a good 4 hours in total during that time(as it took me a while to figure how to stop wifi connecting every 10 mins)!!
    I also sent quite a few sms and did alot of light browsing!

Advertisement