Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia N900

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭RobbieM

service codes not ready yet.
    video calling not ready yet.
    voice nav not ready yet.

lets make a list!

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭candlegrease

When is the n900 available in stores in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Four of a kind

Anyone know how to get your credit balance on o2? it used to be *100# but "incorrect number" comes up on the N900

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

lads just to let you know codes like that(*#174#, *#100#) dont work on the n900. the problem has been fixed and will be out on the next firmware.

Thor wrote: »
    lads just to let you know codes like that(*#174#, *#100#) dont work on the n900. the problem has been fixed and will be out on the next firmware.

sound dude.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,705 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

god's toy wrote: »
    I take it you dragged the page off to the left and right?

Yeah but its hard getting use to it. Still going to stick with the one that is already on it

Ok I got the extras testing and the extras devel repositories enabled on my n900 and I can already see the amount of available has increased by a huge amount. How do I know which ones are safe to use at this stage and which one's are not?

Also I still cannot find Pixelpipe in there? Anyone?

extras-devel arent save at all really and are just there for people who know what they are looking for.

extras-testing is the stage after development and some if not most are optified for the n900. some apps will install to the rootfs folder and that will get full quickly if that is the case. best to disable the extra devel and only use it if you are looking for an app that is in there and you know it is save(most are not though)

extras-devel arent save at all really and are just there for people who know what they are looking for.

extras-testing is the stage after development and some if not most are optified for the n900. some apps will install to the rootfs folder and that will get full quickly if that is the case. best to disable the extra devel and only use it if you are looking for an app that is in there and you know it is save(most are not though)

thanks very much. I can't get the nokia applications or the nokia software update repositories working though? I keep getting the "failed to refresh" when I click on it and at the bottom it says "resolving host timed out"???

Any idea what the story is with that? Can't get pixelpipe then if I can't get into nokia apps repository.

hmm never had problems like that before.

i did have problems getting it to refresh sometimes. i would end the application manager and disconnect my active connection and reconnect it and then go back in and that worked. you can try that.

• Advertisement

hmm never had problems like that before.

i did have problems getting it to refresh sometimes. i would end the application manager and disconnect my active connection and reconnect it and then go back in and that worked. you can try that.

tried that before but nothing changed!! :(

Basically this is the problem I have:

When I go into app manage, I click on update. This takes about 5 mins to update but then I get the "some applications failed to refresh". So when i click in the application catalogues the maemo extras, extras testing and the extras devel repositories are all working fine, but the bottom two, namely "Nokia Applications and Nokia System Software updates" catalogues has the "failed to refresh" beside them with the (!) icon before it in red?

If i click either of these none working catalogues i get the catalogue details(which are filled in correctly) but at the bottom is some red text with "resolving host timed out: downloads.maemo.nokia.com"

So therefore I cannot get these to work and obviously I would like to have things working so if anyone could find out for me or point me in the right direction that would be great, as I'm a newbie when it comes to smartphone etc.

Thanks guys.

the past week i have had the uk variant firmware on the n900(originally us version). reason i changed over was to see if there was any difference besides the uk version turning off the part of the 3g that isnt needed.

the us version i had no problems so im putting the us version back on it as the uk version seems a little more buggy. never had any problems with the app manager until i changed over so might be a bug in the uk firmware(doesnt make sense as they are pretty much identical)

this new firmware better be out soon. seems that long press for numbers is going to be on it and MMS!!!!

the past week i have had the uk variant firmware on the n900(originally us version). reason i changed over was to see if there was any difference besides the uk version turning off the part of the 3g that isnt needed.

the us version i had no problems so im putting the us version back on it as the uk version seems a little more buggy. never had any problems with the app manager until i changed over so might be a bug in the uk firmware(doesnt make sense as they are pretty much identical)

this new firmware better be out soon. seems that long press for numbers is going to be on it and MMS!!!!

Yeah those two are def needed. Find it difficult using the qwerty keyboard when trying the shift press Q etc in order to get 1 etc.

MMS badly need along with a few other basic telephone functions like saving a bloodly draft for sms. And I would personally the ability to create groups for contacts for sending sms!

If you hear of any reason why i'm having the above problem would you let me know dude? Its killing me that I can't get it set up right. :confused:

make sure you have your connection set up correctly. have you got any problems surfing the net.

Also there may be a 2 solution

1. remove all the repositories and put them in again manually, i know it will take awhile but i would say it is worth. you could even try it with just one. disable all except one (say the extras one) then re enter the info for that and try hit a refresh.

might be worth a try.

if that doesnt work there is one more thing you can try.

2. Reflash the firmware on it. simple thing and only takes a few minutes. it wont delete anything of the phones memory just he rootfs(apps that are installed and the settings) few minutes after that you will be right back where you are, you can even back all the stuff on it with the back app that is in the more location.

worth a try, sorry to here you are having problems with it. hope this gets sorted for you. im looking over the net to find a solution that will work for you.

make sure you have your connection set up correctly. have you got any problems surfing the net.

Also there may be a 2 solution

1. remove all the repositories and put them in again manually, i know it will take awhile but i would say it is worth. you could even try it with just one. disable all except one (say the extras one) then re enter the info for that and try hit a refresh.

might be worth a try.

if that doesnt work there is one more thing you can try.

2. Reflash the firmware on it. simple thing and only takes a few minutes. it wont delete anything of the phones memory just he rootfs(apps that are installed and the settings) few minutes after that you will be right back where you are, you can even back all the stuff on it with the back app that is in the more location.

worth a try, sorry to here you are having problems with it. hope this gets sorted for you. im looking over the net to find a solution that will work for you.

No problems at all surfing the net. What I will do is remove all the repositories including the two that don't work, and put them in manually again but just enable the extras.

If that dos'nt work I'll try a reflash, but I have no Idea how to go about this? I'll back up my data on the back up app on the N900 before I do any reflashing.

Thanks for the hekp so far mate.

Download and install the latest version of Flasher (e.g. maemo_flasher-3.5_2.5.2.2.exe).Download

Download the latest firmware (.bin) file and save to ‘c:\Program Files\maemo\flasher-3.5\
    Put your imei in there and download the uk variant firmware!!

Fully charge the battery.

Unplug charger and switch off the device.

Open the command prompt on XP. Start + Run. Type cmd and press Enter.

Change directory to the flasher program(other way is to just go to the folder and hold Shift and right click anywhere there and hit open command window here)
    cd "c:\Program Files\maemo\flasher-3.5"

Turn off the N900 device

Press and hold down key ‘u’

Connect USB cable between Maemo device and host PC while holding down key ‘u’

When USB cable gets connected it powers Maemo device and set’s it to flashing mode

When USB icon appears on right upper corner Maemo device is in flashing mode

You can release key ‘u’

Run the following command:

flasher-3.5.exe -F RX-51_2009SE_1.2009.42-11.203.2_PR_COMBINED_203_ARM.bin -f -R

Input that exactly as there and you are good to go.

The update will take about 4 minutes after which the N900 will reboot and display the Welcome screen with Regional settings.

if you have any problems just let me know!!

Download and install the latest version of Flasher (e.g. maemo_flasher-3.5_2.5.2.2.exe).Download

Download the latest firmware (.bin) file and save to ‘c:\Program Files\maemo\flasher-3.5\
    Put your imei in there and download the uk variant firmware!!

Fully charge the battery.

Unplug charger and switch off the device.

Open the command prompt on XP. Start + Run. Type cmd and press Enter.

Change directory to the flasher program(other way is to just go to the folder and hold Shift and right click anywhere there and hit open command window here)
    cd "c:\Program Files\maemo\flasher-3.5"

Turn off the N900 device

Press and hold down key ‘u’

Connect USB cable between Maemo device and host PC while holding down key ‘u’

When USB cable gets connected it powers Maemo device and set’s it to flashing mode

When USB icon appears on right upper corner Maemo device is in flashing mode

You can release key ‘u’

Run the following command:

flasher-3.5.exe -F RX-51_2009SE_1.2009.42-11.203.2_PR_COMBINED_203_ARM.bin -f -R

Input that exactly as there and you are good to go.

The update will take about 4 minutes after which the N900 will reboot and display the Welcome screen with Regional settings.

if you have any problems just let me know!!

That sounds awful technical:eek:! I'm on windows 7 64 bit by the way. Will this make any difference? How do I post the log report from my application manager on the N900 up here so that ye can see?

actually 64bit might give you some problems.

if there is any other computer in your house that as any 32 bit on it. i would use that just to be safe.

its really simple to do and will only take you about 10 minutes(including downloading the bin file)

Also go to application manager, when you see the three icons, click on the top and hit log. then hit save as. you can then post it up here and i will have a look.

when I do a back up on my n900, will that back up photo's and music that I added?

I also noticed that when I tried to add a photo to a contacts name I get the following messege:

Unable to perform operation, not enough memory!! :eek::eek:

Not enough memory?? I doubt i've used 500mb of memory so far. I've already added a few photo's to contacts a few days ago, so can't understand why its doing that now.

A few definite bugs need to be ironed out on this thing.

how do i set up my connection so that I can access the net through my o2 wap on the phone? Might see if i could update the nokia app that way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

is this phone really all that complicated to use if you have never used linux? getting a bit worried seen some of these messages

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

is this phone really all that complicated to use if you have never used linux? getting a bit worried seen some of these messages

Naa i would not say it is. no more than any new device of this sort.

if you stick to apps that have been fully tested and dont enable the extra ones still being tested you will be fine.

also the guys over at maemo.org will help you out if your stuck as loads of them are making the very apps your we are playing with.

so where can i get pixelpipe installed considering i cant access the nokia app repository? :confused:

so where can i get pixelpipe installed considering i cant access the nokia app repository? :confused:

Did you try the download link here:
    http://maemo.nokia.com/maemo-select/applications/pixelpipe-media-gateway-for-nokia-share/

god's toy wrote: »

"unable to download pixelpipe"....
    application package not found!

this is getting completely ridiculous tbh...so annoying.

sorry I dont have an answer so as I dont use that app.

Did you try asking on maemo.org?

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭smegheadz

"unable to download pixelpipe"....
    application package not found!

this is getting completely ridiculous tbh...so annoying.

i recomend reading up some of the posts on maemo.org/talk

you may have installed some apps that haven't been optified
    they take up precious rootfs memory which is limited and ment for system files etc.

there is also a really good wiki on the site for maemo 5 which will answer alot of questions for you.

with regards to people who want to know if it's better then the iphone or nexus one.

nexus one is basiclly the motorola droid, it's very hyped and u need to look past all that to see that it's nothing special.

iphone 3gs is not in the same league as the n900. iphone is a dumb smartphone. it's not for people who like to tinker or want a mobile internet device.

the n900 is a MID with phone capabilities not a phone with MID capabilities.

yes there are limited apps now but it's the beginning of a completely new device and way of doing things. apps are being developed.

advantages are you can configure it like you would your pc. u don't like the way something is. change the config file or ask someone who knows to make a little script for you and badabing you have it. it is a VERY powerful mobile device with telephony and internet.

Treat it like a MID with a phone built in and you will begin to understand it better.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

smegheadz wrote: »
    i recomend reading up some of the posts on maemo.org/talk

you may have installed some apps that haven't been optified
    they take up precious rootfs memory which is limited and ment for system files etc.

there is also a really good wiki on the site for maemo 5 which will answer alot of questions for you.

with regards to people who want to know if it's better then the iphone or nexus one.

nexus one is basiclly the motorola droid, it's very hyped and u need to look past all that to see that it's nothing special.

iphone 3gs is not in the same league as the n900. iphone is a dumb smartphone. it's not for people who like to tinker or want a mobile internet device.

the n900 is a MID with phone capabilities not a phone with MID capabilities.

yes there are limited apps now but it's the beginning of a completely new device and way of doing things. apps are being developed.

advantages are you can configure it like you would your pc. u don't like the way something is. change the config file or ask someone who knows to make a little script for you and badabing you have it. it is a VERY powerful mobile device with telephony and internet.

Treat it like a MID with a phone built in and you will begin to understand it better.
    The fact that the bluetooth is crippled on the iPhone really sets it as a disadvantage.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭smegheadz

The fact that the bluetooth is crippled on the iPhone really sets it as a disadvantage.

i was expecting one of the many other things to be said lol.

i was once really interested in the iphone but didn't get it. my flatmate has it and wants to get rid of it.
    it's got a nice visual look. easy to use but it's still just a phone. the original iphone hardware made by qualcom i think was dirt then samsung started to make the newer devices for apple and the hardware is better but the OS still slows and restricts the hardware on the samsung models to match the qualcomm ones. all the swills and flashy fade in's etc are there to hide the slow OS, and it works gud at that.

n900 is a lil bugged right now but boy is it a beast. it's something completely new and different. i can't wait for maemo 6 and symbian v3/4

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

smegheadz wrote: »
    i was expecting one of the many other things to be said lol.

Opps. I also forgot to say that itz only 4 uber phaegs as well. :D

Advertisement