Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia N900

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,705 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Anyone installed pixelpipe? Have googled this application and basically its an application for uploading photos and vids to the likes of twitter facebook etc

Easy to use and install?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

Are people still waiting on theirs to be delivered? I still haven't ordered mine yet. I really can't part with 500-600 euro right now.. but really want one! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Four of a kind

Anyone installed pixelpipe? Have googled this application and basically its an application for uploading photos and vids to the likes of twitter facebook etc

Easy to use and install?

I would love to be able to install it, but having issues with my nokia app repository. I did ask a load of questions on the maemo.org site and those guys don't even know how to fix the problem i'm having at the moment....which I described earlier in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

funkyflea wrote: »
    Are people still waiting on theirs to be delivered? I still haven't ordered mine yet. I really can't part with 500-600 euro right now.. but really want one! :(

I'm getting more and more tempted to pull the trigger and buy it every day now! Although i suspect that there will be a fall off in price in the next month or so.

I'm getting more and more tempted to pull the trigger and buy it every day now! Although i suspect that there will be a fall off in price in the next month or so.

Yeah, you're in the same boat as myself then. Let's live in hope! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Four of a kind

can someone tell me how i can send a music file via bluetooth? i cant figure out how to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

can someone tell me how i can send a music file via bluetooth? i cant figure out how to do it.

You are doing a good job of making me think this phone is complicated and not want to buy it with all the problems you are having - are you working for Apple by any chance? :D

see below for bluetooth application:

http://maemo.org/downloads/product/Maemo5/petrovich/

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Need some help guys. I have a friend doing a bit of jet-setting in a few days so I may be able to get one cheapish. If I get one in america, will the warranty work here? Also, is it cheaper in France (more specifically strasbourg) and is there anywhere to buy it anywhere in strasbourg. If any one can help out I'd really appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Hope you aren't posting that from the N900 ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Im in the same boat, but waiting because I always pull the trigger WAY too soon on new devices, and am always disappointed when the price drops like a brick. The OH is going to NYC in March, so I may get her to pick it up there.

Been using the HTC hero for just a month and already want to get rid. Went from 3Gs to this, and Im finding it very laggy, but the overall problem I have is the browser.

Can anyone comment on the n900 browser processing speeds? Ill be using it on Meteor, (might move to vodafone in the summer for the hs access point tho) assuming there is a good 3G connection, is it fast? The 3Gs was great for reading boards (full, non-mobile site), but the HTC is so much slower, that even using the m.boards.ie site takes longer to load sometimes next to the 3Gs.

After my years of trying to get the best handset with all the bells and whistles, I've finally realised all I want is a decent browser device with phone capabilites, hence the N900 appeal to me with large resolution.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭corglass

hey guys!
    Like a lot of people (given the number of thread views : comments) I've been reading this thread but not getting involved. Anyway I've booked flights to London for this coming Monday.

the plan is to buy the beast in the Nokia flagship store in London and fly home that evening. Amazing Ryanair has made this kind of lunacy possible.

Anyone got and advice re the purchase? I emailed the store and they've confirmed stock! p.s. it's gonna cost 499pounds, new and sim free.

Thanks
    corglass

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

Stee wrote: »
    Im in the same boat, but waiting because I always pull the trigger WAY too soon on new devices, and am always disappointed when the price drops like a brick. The OH is going to NYC in March, so I may get her to pick it up there.

Been using the HTC hero for just a month and already want to get rid. Went from 3Gs to this, and Im finding it very laggy, but the overall problem I have is the browser.

Can anyone comment on the n900 browser processing speeds? Ill be using it on Meteor, (might move to vodafone in the summer for the hs access point tho) assuming there is a good 3G connection, is it fast? The 3Gs was great for reading boards (full, non-mobile site), but the HTC is so much slower, that even using the m.boards.ie site takes longer to load sometimes next to the 3Gs.

After my years of trying to get the best handset with all the bells and whistles, I've finally realised all I want is a decent browser device with phone capabilites, hence the N900 appeal to me with large resolution.

i havent used it with 3g connection(waiting for them to fix the three sim problem) but with wifi the connection is perfect and the browser is the fastest i have ever seen. i can load engadget.com in a few second(5-6). also word of warning, the nokia store in new york wont be there anymore as they are closing down. also the warranty is not valid over here. i got mine there as they were nowhere to be found over here. cost me €440 in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭manster

Not wanting to kick off an iPhone V N900 war but here is a blog that compares the two

6 reasons why I’m dumping my iPhone for a Nokia N900

Thor wrote: »
    i havent used it with 3g connection(waiting for them to fix the three sim problem) but with wifi the connection is perfect and the browser is the fastest i have ever seen. i can load engadget.com in a few second(5-6). also word of warning, the nokia store in new york wont be there anymore as they are closing down. also the warranty is not valid over here. i got mine there as they were nowhere to be found over here. cost me €440 in the end.

Thanks. Im not overly worried about connection speeds, thatll happen on any device. Its just annoying when the connection is there and the device is only held back by the processor speed. Mainly use a wireless network anyway.
    Thanks (i think :mad:) for the tip on the nokia store too.

I actually do want an iphone war :D

Had to dump the 3Gs because had no signal on o2, and they of course wouldnt unlock it for me. Having trouble finding a device that lives up/beats it

Manster started it!
    manster wrote: »
    Not wanting to kick off an iPhone V N900 war but here is a blog that compares the two

6 reasons why I’m dumping my iPhone for a Nokia N900

Manster started it!

ssshhh you'll have the iPhone police at my door.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

corglass wrote: »
    hey guys!
    Like a lot of people (given the number of thread views : comments) I've been reading this thread but not getting involved. Anyway I've booked flights to London for this coming Monday.

the plan is to buy the beast in the Nokia flagship store in London and fly home that evening. Amazing Ryanair has made this kind of lunacy possible.

Anyone got and advice re the purchase? I emailed the store and they've confirmed stock! p.s. it's gonna cost 499pounds, new and sim free.

Thanks
    corglass

Aren't fonzeonline.com doing the phone for €550? And they're based in Ireland and appear to have stock at the minute? I haven't dealt with them so can't comment, but there's a thread already on this forum.

This is exactly what i want, plus the other apps for it appeal to me too. And the fact that it's linux is also a major plus for me.

Ok, well im definitely not rushing into it simfree*. It may have been mentioned on tread already, but according to the vodafone forum they'll be getting this phone on their network.

*Ill probably still buy it tomorrow
    This is exactly what i want, plus the other apps for it appeal to me too. And the fact that it's linux is also a major plus for me.

And the fact its a new toy
    Aren't fonzeonline.com doing the phone for €550? And they're based in Ireland and appear to have stock at the minute? I haven't dealt with them so can't comment, but there's a thread already on this forum.

Phoneonline.ie are due to get it soon too apparently - €589

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Thor wrote: »
    i havent used it with 3g connection(waiting for them to fix the three sim problem) but with wifi the connection is perfect and the browser is the fastest i have ever seen. i can load engadget.com in a few second(5-6)...

Yep i'm in the same club as you (3 sim) but got to test it with a vodafone sim today.
    was supprised just how fast it was. almost able to keep up with wifi at home.

I have used many pda's and phones for internet and this thing blows them all away for speed. The best part is it's going to get even faster when they get the net cache bug sorted.
    odd thing is my wifes 3 sim works no probs at all in the device and she got hers 6 months after mine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭PhilCurran

Ok, well im definitely not rushing into it simfree*. It may have been mentioned on tread already, but according to the vodafone forum they'll be getting this phone on their network.

Any word on when this will be?

• Advertisement

I'd consider moving to bill pay on voda if they offered it fairly soon. Do networks only do 18 month contracts now?

Does the browser much? Most nokia handsets or even the old n770 have pretty unstable browsers..

Alanstrainor are you looking to get it sim free?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

tbh one of the reasons I've taken a wait and see approach to this phone is that it's running linux, my experience with flavours of linux is that when things go wrong it tends to be a bugger to fix. That and the amount of those damned acer linpus mini's that I've had to look at for friends and relatives means that I'll take a wait and see approach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 seldone

hey there..I cant remember the exact moment but it twas nights before christmas when somehow suddenly found meself surfing along looking at all kinds of blogs, foroms, videos, you name it in search of this n900.
    It just blew me away.my present nokia is held together by tape and its getting beyond the funny stage .
    13 years back I went into a brilliant electronic store in the states looking for a hand held device with web capabilitys but the best was having to have my own computer at home on all the time for this to work.
    I checked out meteors very basic 1 euro a day and this must have sparked the search for something far superior.
    Ive sent email to sellers on the net for this thing.from kings cross station to china to amsterdsam and all the while keeping an eye on this site and the best i can come up with is either 549 dollars from amazon plus tax and post and packaging which i thinkis where these dudes are getting them from and selling at the same price in euro so.I saw corglass,s last post regarding thre trip over to uk but would it not be better to bye from these dudes here in ireland for 549euro rather than go through all the hassel? I dont know but personally Im gonna hang on till it drops a bit and any teething problems sorted but its tough.good talking to you ,,all the best either way,ps the one in kings cross station is 250 euro i think.seldone

PhilCurran wrote: »
    Any word on when this will be?

Nope, they announced it in October... Hopefully we'll hear something soon

https://forum.vodafone.ie/index.php?/topic/1140-nokia-n900/

See Expansys still have it for €599 but they say:

"Discounts available for orders of 5 units or more - call +353766060803 or send an email to jiri.derda@expansys.com"

Anyone know what type of discount this would be? :D (I haven't emailed them to ask)

See Expansys still have it for €599 but they say:

"Discounts available for orders of 5 units or more - call +353766060803 or send an email to jiri.derda@expansys.com"

Anyone know what type of discount this would be? :D (I haven't emailed them to ask)

I doubt it would be a huge amount, but having said that, if it was a decent enough discount, say down around the 500 mark, I doubt you'd have too much trouble finding 5 people on here willing to take part. Could be messy logistically though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭vote4pedro

I'm going to be in Boston in a couple of weeks, am seriously considering buying this off Amazon.com (on sale for $550, €390ish) and bringing it back over with me. Will check out the new google droid properly but on first glance it didn't impress me as much as the n900

It will be 100% unlocked wont it if I do buy from amazon.com, and have no hassle sticking my Meteor bill pay SIM in? Also re: customs, there shouldn't be any issue with me bringing this back with me will there?

one last thing, are those phone selling sites as easy a way to make money as they seem? money4urmobile.com was the first google result, and on first glance are offering £111 for my n95 8gb. If I sold it to them at that price the n900 effectively becomes €270 from amazon.com ... in the immortal words of the priest with a very boring voice, 'What's the Catch'?

I think Amazon add sales tax so calculate that first - presume you have an address in Boston to get it sent to.

Customs on way back - unlikely if you are carrying it on you but afaik they have a right to charge tax.

Yes it would be unlocked.

no warranty if it comes from the States would recommend to add some music or contacts to the phone so that customs wouldn't think it's new if you were stopped,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭vote4pedro

Thanks guys, so I'll just leave the box in the States and carry the phone home in my pocket, and yeah have family over there to sign for the phone :)

Advertisement