Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia N900

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

again - check the sales tax from Amazon for Boston!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭vote4pedro

As far as I can see amazon don't automatically add the tax for Massachusetts as they do for New York, though even if they do it should only be around 5% so not going to be a dealbreaker, which is nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭goldwing

funkyflea wrote: »
    I'd consider moving to bill pay on voda

see vodafone uk are giving it on bill pay for free and as little as £40 per month

http://shop.vodafone.co.uk/shop/mobile-phones/all-phones?initialFilters=flt_paymonthly

• Registered Users Posts: 34 roryj

Hi All. any suggeswtions on the best way to get a nokia n900 sim free. Got a iphone fron vf free and as its not sim locked sold it without any problem so I'm quids in for the n900. but now how can i get one fast. been reading about the delays with some of the pre order ones so hesitant to commit to buying unless in stock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭PhilCurran

goldwing wrote: »
    see vodafone uk are giving it on bill pay for free and as little as £40 per month

http://shop.vodafone.co.uk/shop/mobile-phones/all-phones?initialFilters=flt_paymonthly

I was talking to vodafone staff in sligo before christmas who showed me an email stating that it would be the most expensive nokia they offer, so don't expect it for free :rolleyes:

I saw a replica on the shelves in zurich yesterday, I hope it isn't representative of the build quality of the final device :(

Can anyone here who has it comment on the build quality?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

if anyone has a way of getting one in the states (friends etc.), this looks to be the best deal going for the n900, but it's only for a couple of days so if you want one, best to move quick!
    Nokia N900 for $479 at Dell with Coupon Expiring Jan 9th: Use coupon code 8Q3R8HBT5HNWMD at Dell Small Business to get $120.99 off the Nokia N900. The total comes to $479 with free shipping. You may have to pay sales tax depending on where you live. This offer expires January 9th, 2010 while supplies last. I believe this is the current lowest price if you need to get one now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

I'm thinking of ordering sim free from clove and just waiting. Do they charge your card straight away or just before dispatch? This thing is haunting me at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭mwrf

Took delivery yesterday from a friend who was in the states. I must say,
    It's an absolute dream. Have synced all my contacts with my facebook account with Hermes, It pulls down their picture, birthday etc.
    The Google Latitude Client works great,
    The integration of your IMs and sms is brilliant. I keep discovering new things! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

dammit, i posted that earleir just after i got up and my head was still fuzzy, but I just did my sums and that's €333 delivered (to a US address) for a sim free n900. :(

VERY tempted by that now, I have an address I can use at a friends families house in the US and get them to bring it (or post it) over with them.

must...resist...temptation...

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Dr Rod Doom

Don’t resist... give in! It’s well worth it

I got mine just before Christmas, and it has easily, and by a long way, become the best phone/ device I’ve ever owned. It’s had its bugs and the battery suffers from all the stuff I throw at it (I have email, RSS, Calendar, Facebook, Weather, Location etc. Widgets updating all day), but the just plain usability of it outweighs any problems I’m ever going to have.

The contacts integration (all phone, email, IM and Skype contact details in one location) and the SMS and IM integration in Conversations is so useful you will literally never be able to go back to anything else again. This is the way contacts/ messages always should have been done.

On the browser; the only thing I can say is that the N900 has pretty much replaced my laptop for general browsing, I used to open the laptop to browse d’interweb while the OH watches America’s Next Top Model or something, but now I just use the N900. I would never have even considered that on the old 5800.

Four of a Kind – one of the bugs I had was that I could browse ok through my WLAN, but I couldn’t update repos or basically download anything through wifi. 3g connection worked fine. I found the fix on Maemo.org, and it turned out I just needed to manually put in the DNS settings for my router. Everything’s working perfectly there now.
    Have you tried updating repos while connected on 3G? If that works then you probably have the same problem I had and can fix it easily. Be careful if you don’t have a Data Plan though, because it could work out expensive if you download something big through the repos

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭vote4pedro

vibe666 wrote: »
    if anyone has a way of getting one in the states (friends etc.), this looks to be the best deal going for the n900, but it's only for a couple of days so if you want one, best to move quick!

That's a fantastic deal. I'm (fairly sure) that I'm due an upgrade with Vodafone, depending on what model I'll be able to haggle out of them, I could break even between selling the upgrade as new on ebay and my old n95 on envirofone.ie :o

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭LK1

Can anyone confirm if this shield makes the screen on the n900 less responsive?

Thinking of ordering one of these

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=39289&highlight=zagg+sensitivity&page=3

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭RobbieM

LK1 wrote: »

Will zagg cover the sides? My mate came back from maylasia with this amazing cover on his windows CE device. plastic coverage all over, even the sides. He said that he got it done in a market by an old (mystical magic) woman! She had a sheet of high grade plastic film and a blade. and she covered avery corner perfectly, and cut out every button and socket with the blade. I had to look twice at it to see the cuts! I bought a cover already and was very dissapointed that it was only the screen. I want a kinda 2D cut-out of my n900 that I can fold and wrap around the sides and edges. Anybody see something like this?

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭RobbieM

Thor wrote: »
    Download and install the latest version of Flasher (e.g. maemo_flasher-3.5_2.5.2.2.exe).Download

Download the latest firmware (.bin) file and save to ‘c:\Program Files\maemo\flasher-3.5\
    Put your imei in there and download the uk variant firmware!!

Fully charge the battery.

Unplug charger and switch off the device.

Open the command prompt on XP. Start + Run. Type cmd and press Enter.

Change directory to the flasher program(other way is to just go to the folder and hold Shift and right click anywhere there and hit open command window here)
    cd "c:\Program Files\maemo\flasher-3.5"

Turn off the N900 device

Press and hold down key ‘u’

Connect USB cable between Maemo device and host PC while holding down key ‘u’

When USB cable gets connected it powers Maemo device and set’s it to flashing mode

When USB icon appears on right upper corner Maemo device is in flashing mode

You can release key ‘u’

Run the following command:

flasher-3.5.exe -F RX-51_2009SE_1.2009.42-11.203.2_PR_COMBINED_203_ARM.bin -f -R

Input that exactly as there and you are good to go.

The update will take about 4 minutes after which the N900 will reboot and display the Welcome screen with Regional settings.

if you have any problems just let me know!!

Hi Thor,

Have you completed this yourself? I wanna do this this evening.
    1. Did you loose all your apps \ contacts \ files \ messages?
    2. Have you noticed any major differences? extra software? is voice nav there? I assume some bat improvements.
    -RobbieM

I am having a prob with xchat. even when I uninstall it and re-install it comes back with all my settings, and the same crashing problem. Also noticed today my contacts icon has some scramble on it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Four of a kind

Don’t resist... give in! It’s well worth it

I got mine just before Christmas, and it has easily, and by a long way, become the best phone/ device I’ve ever owned. It’s had its bugs and the battery suffers from all the stuff I throw at it (I have email, RSS, Calendar, Facebook, Weather, Location etc. Widgets updating all day), but the just plain usability of it outweighs any problems I’m ever going to have.

The contacts integration (all phone, email, IM and Skype contact details in one location) and the SMS and IM integration in Conversations is so useful you will literally never be able to go back to anything else again. This is the way contacts/ messages always should have been done.

On the browser; the only thing I can say is that the N900 has pretty much replaced my laptop for general browsing, I used to open the laptop to browse d’interweb while the OH watches America’s Next Top Model or something, but now I just use the N900. I would never have even considered that on the old 5800.

Four of a Kind – one of the bugs I had was that I could browse ok through my WLAN, but I couldn’t update repos or basically download anything through wifi. 3g connection worked fine. I found the fix on Maemo.org, and it turned out I just needed to manually put in the DNS settings for my router. Everything’s working perfectly there now.
    Have you tried updating repos while connected on 3G? If that works then you probably have the same problem I had and can fix it easily. Be careful if you don’t have a Data Plan though, because it could work out expensive if you download something big through the repos

Hey, thanks for the info. I've put my problem to the guys on maemo.org discussion board and still no joy. I'm not experienced enough to go messing around with the xterminal or rerouting a DNS etc...

Im on PAYG and therefore don't have a data plan, I use my wifi here at the house when browsing on the N900.

It's the only real thing that has annoyed me with the phone. Yeah, as you said it has its bugs etc and fair enough as its a new OS these things will get sorted out over time.

The repository problem that I put up on maemo.org can be found here:

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=39003

It seems that I'm not the only one with this problem so its abit of a concern really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

RobbieM wrote: »
    Hi Thor,

Have you completed this yourself? I wanna do this this evening.
    1. Did you loose all your apps \ contacts \ files \ messages?
    2. Have you noticed any major differences? extra software? is voice nav there? I assume some bat improvements.
    -RobbieM

I am having a prob with xchat. even when I uninstall it and re-install it comes back with all my settings, and the same crashing problem. Also noticed today my contacts icon has some scramble on it!

yeah i flashed it myself, all i did was put the uk variant firmware on the n900 but it didnt really make any difference.

you do loose the apps that were installed and the settings but you dont loose anything on the 32gb memory. Flashing only effects the rootfs which is only like 256mb in size.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Tzetze

I'm not experienced enough to go messing around with the xterminal or rerouting a DNS etc...

Try this...
    Settings > Internet Connections > Connections
    Select your home wireless network, and Edit
    Next > Next > Next > Advanced > IP Addresses
    Un-check 'Auto-Retrieve DNS'
    Set Primary DNS to 159.134.237.6
    Set Secondary DNS to 159.134.248.17
    Save and exit.
    Restart your connection (if it doesn't automatically) and try app manager again.

These are Eircom DNS settings, and they work fine for me on UPC cable internet.
    I've not experienced any of the issues you've outlined. I can see all the apps in all the repos and have been using these settings since first setting up a network connection on my device.

Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

roadman077 wrote: »
    if you are a good money saver, you must be interested in <snip>, coupon available special pricing on all touchscreen mobile phone:):)

would you stop advertising like that!!! that is the second comment i have seen you advertising coupons on that site!!!

reported!!

Tzetze wrote: »
    Try this...
    Save and exit.
    Restart your connection (if it doesn't automatically) and try app manager again.

I've not experienced any of the issues you've outlined. I can see all the apps in all the repos and have been using these settings since first setting up a network connection on my device.

Hope that helps.

I will try this out this evening dude. Thanks. Would love it I got this issue sorted out. Its wrecking my head that its not functioning the way its meant to out of the box.

Anyone know which websites are shipping the N900 if I was to go order it right now? Also noticed expansys.ie don't seem to be stocking it anymore?

• Advertisement

Tzetze wrote: »
    Try this...
    Save and exit.

Hope that helps.

Did this and now none of the three repositories won't update/sync?? The extras always did update, but after I set the primary and secondary DNS as above....none of them work?

Think I better change them back to the way they were :confused:?

Any more ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

funkyflea wrote: »
    Anyone know which websites are shipping the N900 if I was to go order it right now? Also noticed expansys.ie don't seem to be stocking it anymore?

Yeah they are, infact, it seems they've dropped their price a bit LINK

I used the search box and nothing came up, how odd. It works out €40 cheaper from the UK site, will they post it to Ireland still? If clove got their act together and got stock I'd get it from them, either that or fonezonline when I hear back from the other poster.

Well Alanstrainor, I'm about ready to take the plunge, when are you getting yours?! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

I'm really really tempted to get one of these from expansys.

I'm assuming it'll work fine on the O2 network?
    has anyone used it as an ssh client - i.e. to connect to servers for admin stuff?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Yeah they are, infact, it seems they've dropped their price a bit LINK

15 quid on 600 is nothing, but it still has me reaching for the credit card! Probably because Im feeling sorry for myself after being forced to walk home from town :o

Just ordered from expansys UK, €568 includes irish vat.. Ouch.

It says my order includes a 'Wonpro Universal AC Inlet - UK Outlet Adaptor?'

What's that for? Surely it's got a UK/IRL plug? Is this for overseas customers or are they selling US versions?

My OH is going to kill me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Go on.Treat yourself :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Go on.Treat yourself :pac:

stop it..STOP IT!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Stee wrote: »
    stop it..STOP IT!!!
    You deserve it....your card wont tell anyone the price......just click....click....click....click

Yes I am evil

• Advertisement

Basically this is the problem I have:

When I go into app manage, I click on update. This takes about 5 mins to update but then I get the "some applications failed to refresh". So when i click in the application catalogues the maemo extras, extras testing and the extras devel repositories are all working fine, but the bottom two, namely "Nokia Applications and Nokia System Software updates" catalogues has the "failed to refresh" beside them with the (!) icon before it in red?

If i click either of these none working catalogues i get the catalogue details(which are filled in correctly) but at the bottom is some red text with "resolving host timed out: downloads.maemo.nokia.com"

Here is my log details:

Screenshot-20100106-201008.png

Screenshot-20100106-201103.png

Anyone know whats going on? The only repository that works is the extras one. The other two don't :(

I'm a noob when it comes to this stuff.

Advertisement