Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia N900

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

vibe666 wrote: »
    FYI RE expansys.ie prices, i emailed them before the n97 launch to ask them why the irish site had the price for the n97 €100 more than the sterling price and they thanked me for letting them know and changed it to (almost) match the UK price given the exchange rate at the time.

if the price is very different between the two sites then let them know and fingers crossed, they should correct it.

€35 of a difference. Not much.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭smegheadz

Uk model.

How do I find out what channel my wifi is set on my router? :confused:

hmm was just a thought if you had a US model or no simcard when you use it. there's like 4 frequencies the us model can't use over in europe. like channels 12 and 13, thought you may have a router that uses auto channel and that it may change.

was a long shot really. i'd test it on someone elses network before flashing.
    wait till the site and everything has been migrated over to the new server aswell.
    also thinking you could download the maemo sdk virtual image and see if the repo's work through that. i'm not sure but i think they should work normaly. if they are ment to work normaly and you get the same issue then it's not ur device.(but make sure the servers have changed over n people are connecting again)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

smegheadz wrote: »
    not much of a price difference at all. i still think it's better to get it from nokia.co.uk

The Nokia site says it ships to UK only? And it is £499 - a fiver dearer than Expansys UK - where is the benefit? Do you get the benefit of the £30 vouchers in Ireland if used on the UK site?
    €35 of a difference. Not much.

Shouldn't there always be SOME difference to account for different vat rates?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

The Nokia site says it ships to UK only? And it is £499 - a fiver dearer than Expansys UK - where is the benefit? Do you get the benefit of the £30 vouchers in Ireland if used on the UK site?

Shouldn't there always be SOME difference to account for different vat rates?

I'd be fairly sure that the vouchers I get will be useable on the UK site.. hopefully. The thing about the VAT - the UK site charges the Irish vat when you choose Ireland as a shipping destination, so the difference in price on the Irish site is strange. Maybe there are some extra costs involved running expansys here, who knows.

P.S. My N900 was in Dublin this morning at 6am according to DHL. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

funkyflea wrote: »
    I'd be fairly sure that the vouchers I get will be useable on the UK site.. hopefully. The thing about the VAT - the UK site charges the Irish vat when you choose Ireland as a shipping destination, so the difference in price on the Irish site is strange. Maybe there are some extra costs involved running expansys here, who knows.

You can use the vouchers on either site. When you put the code in, it will give you the exchanged rate.

Buying on the uk site, doesn't avoid the irish vat rate, but you may get it still that bit cheaper. You see the uk vat rate at checkout, but they then charge the irish vat rate after, so it might be £499, and then you might see another charge on your credit card for £3 after it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,705 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Got these settings from 02 for internet access

connection name: O2 WAP
    data bearer: packet data
    APN: internet
    username:
    prompt password: no
    password:
    authentication: normal
    homepage: http://www.o2.ie
    network type: IPv4
    phone IP address: automatic
    name servers (DNS): automatic
    proxy address: 62.40.32.40
    proxy port: 8080

Got these settings from 02 for internet access

connection name: O2 WAP
    data bearer: packet data
    APN: internet
    username:
    prompt password: no
    password:
    authentication: normal
    homepage: http://www.o2.ie
    network type: IPv4
    phone IP address: automatic
    name servers (DNS): automatic
    proxy address: 62.40.32.40
    proxy port: 8080

do they work?

For the sake of goodwill, just posting to say that I just got a text from home saying my N900 was delivered by DHL within 24 hours, thanks expansys and dhl , delivered in bad weather on time (for a change). :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

For the sake of goodwill, just posting to say that I just got a text from home saying my N900 was delivered by DHL within 24 hours, thanks expansys and dhl , delivered in bad weather on time (for a change). :)
    U lucky lucky b......!

do they work?

Not sure. When I go into configuration settings it asks for the below so a bit lost of what to insert?

Connection Name:
    Connection Type
    Access Point Name
    User Name
    Password
    Prompt password at every Login

Then it asks if I want to use Proxy if so I have the below

Http Proxy
    Port number
    Https proxy
    Port Number
    Ftp Proxy
    Port number
    Do not use proxy for
    Automatic configuration

If I tick the automatic configuration it then asks for a web address

Have asked on the 02 forums what goes in where?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Out of pure curiosity, what's your address?

U lucky lucky b......!

Not lucky just very very poor now :)
    Stee wrote: »

Ehh... Wexford town-area ! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Stee wrote: »
    yeah, and what time will you be home? :D

I'm collecting it and moving it to a safe storage area far far away...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Four of a kind

Not sure. When I go into configuration settings it asks for the below so a bit lost of what to insert?

Connection Name:
    Connection Type
    Access Point Name
    User Name
    Password
    Prompt password at every Login

Then it asks if I want to use Proxy if so I have the below

Http Proxy
    Port number
    Https proxy
    Port Number
    Ftp Proxy
    Port number
    Do not use proxy for
    Automatic configuration

If I tick the automatic configuration it then asks for a web address

Have asked on the 02 forums what goes in where?

anymore update on this? I want to try wap on my N900 but don't know what settings to put in. I presume the username and password settings are your own username and password that you can make up?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

I posted these earlier in the thread but so people can see them these are my settings

Name: o2 IE Internet
    Type: Packet Data

Access point name: open.internet
    username: gprs
    password: gprs
    Prompt password: not checked

Just inserted them and got it working fill in the below details :D

Not to use a proxy

Access point name = APN

connection name = put in O2 or something in there, doesnt really matter

Connection Type = packet data

User Name: leave blank

Password : leave blank

prompt for password: No

As usual I can't get my N900 to work with these settings above! ****ing soooo many problems I'm having with it. Not funny.

Just inserted them and got it working fill in the below details :D

Not to use a proxy

Access point name = APN

connection name = put in O2 or something in there, doesnt really matter

Connection Type = packet data

User Name: leave blank

Password : leave blank

prompt for password: No

Can you post screenshots from ur n900 of these so Four_of_a_kind can compare them?

Can you post screenshots from ur n900 of these so Four_of_a_kind can compare them?

That would be very helpful is some on o2 wap could post up screenshots of their settings for me to compare.

I would have presumed that the wap would have worked out of the box?

• Advertisement

Ok first impressions for me, it's very very slick, never seen a phone UI look and feel so smooth. It's very easy to use and there's comprehensive options for everything. The CTRL+C/V options for copying and pasting are very handy.

Web browsing definitely a step up above the N97, boards didn't crash my phone for once!

Ok first impressions for me, it's very very slick, never seen a phone UI look and feel so smooth. It's very easy to use and there's comprehensive options for everything. The CTRL+C/V options for copying and pasting are very handy.

Web browsing definitely a step up above the N97, boards didn't crash my phone for once!

Very cool. Give me a couple weeks and i'll have one!

give me another few days with mine and I'll have got rid of it! I do love it, no mistake about that, but there seems to be way to many issues with mine, as you can read in this thread. Even the guys at maemo.org don't know how to fix it.

give me another few days with mine and I'll have got rid of it! I do love it, no mistake about that, but there seems to be way to many issues with mine, as you can read in this thread. Even the guys at maemo.org don't know how to fix it.

I know, i've been reading your posts, which has me a little worried. But it seems to be an isolated case. I know it sucks a lot for you though!

I know, i've been reading your posts, which has me a little worried. But it seems to be an isolated case. I know it sucks a lot for you though!

not entirely. Alot of reports of the repositories not working for the guys at maemo.org. I suppose if i was a linux fan or even good with techy stuff like this then i may not be such a problem.

Yeah just go for it, I waited nearly as long as you to get one but to be honest, it seems to be as good if not better than expected. Performance is really good. Can't believe I went for an N97 originally, it's nothing like it.

Bounce evolution looks really good. Just loading it up with music now, then gonna take a few videos of the little fella and see how they turn out. :)

Then - i'll start fiddling with repositories and stuff.

edit: I really need to get some skype and google talk contacts! Is windows live messenger available for it?

Yeah just go for it, I waited nearly as long as you to get one but to be honest, it seems to be as good if not better than expected. Performance is really good. Can't believe I went for an N97 originally, it's nothing like it.

Bounce evolution looks really good. Just loading it up with music now, then gonna take a few videos of the little fella and see how they turn out. :)

Then - i'll start fiddling with repositories and stuff.

edit: I really need to get some skype and google talk contacts! Is windows live messenger available for it?

let me know how you get on with this. I've never been able to get the nokia application repo and the nokia software system repo's to update. only the nokia extras.

Will be interested to see how you get on.

let me know how you get on with this. I've never been able to get the nokia application repo and the nokia software system repo's to update. only the nokia extras.

Will be interested to see how you get on.

Hey, the Nokia application repo was preinstalled and enabled on mine, I downloaded bounce evolution so far with no problems and it checks for updates fine.

Also downloaded 'hermes' application too. Is there anything you want me to try out? I'm using home wifi connection.

Hey, the Nokia application repo was preinstalled and enabled on mine, I downloaded bounce evolution so far with no problems and it checks for updates fine.

Also downloaded 'hermes' application too. Is there anything you want me to try out? I'm using home wifi connection.

I just can't get my nokia app and nodi system repo to work.

would you post your exact setting for those two repositories please?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭corglass

vibe666 wrote: »
    if anyone has a way of getting one in the states (friends etc.), this looks to be the best deal going for the n900, but it's only for a couple of days so if you want one, best to move quick!

hey guys I'm placing an order with the above right now. Can't wait!

Advertisement