Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia N900

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,705 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Screenshots for o2 set up

Screenshot3.gif

Screenshot2.gif

Screenshot1.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭corglass

order placed! Wahoo. Anyone any idea's on the best way to get the phone 9when its delivered) from the US to Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭smegheadz

those who bought it off expansys, is it the uk version as it only states it's qwerty not uk.
    i know that expansys is international so they cud be getting the us version n charging more with tax. i am curious as the warranty isn't valid for a us model in europe. have to send it back to nokia usa

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

There's now an MMS app available in extras-devel. I've started to test it with o2. My first test didn't work but I plan to do more tomorrow. If I get it working I'll post here to let people know how to configure it (with the usual warning of if you don't know what you're doing don't install from extras-devel :) ).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

interesting to see a first impressions look at the n900 against the nexus one.

i'm starting to think that the n900 may have eaten all the pies. :D

4254761630_01a4101b9d.jpg

seirously though, i didn't imagine the gphone would be so much slimmer than the n900. :eek:

http://thenokiablog.com/2010/01/07/google-nexus-one-vs-nokia-n900-photos-first-impressions/

(more comparison pics in the link)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

smegheadz wrote: »
    those who bought it off expansys, is it the uk version as it only states it's qwerty not uk.
    i know that expansys is international so they cud be getting the us version n charging more with tax. i am curious as the warranty isn't valid for a us model in europe. have to send it back to nokia usa

Hey.. first post using N900!

It's an 'EU' version with QWERTY keypad. Comes with an eu to uk power adaptor for the charger. Everythings in english though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

vibe666 wrote: »
    interesting to see a first impressions look at the n900 against the nexus one.

i'm starting to think that the n900 may have eaten all the pies. :D

4254761630_01a4101b9d.jpg

seirously though, i didn't imagine the gphone would be so much slimmer than the n900. :eek:

http://thenokiablog.com/2010/01/07/google-nexus-one-vs-nokia-n900-photos-first-impressions/

(more comparison pics in the link)

The main difference in the thickness is the hardware keyboard and I'd rather have the keyboard
    N900
    Device Size 110.9 x 59.8 x 18[1] mm
    Weight 181 g

Nexus one
    Height
    119mm
    Width
    59.8mm
    Depth
    11.5mm
    Weight
    130 grams w/battery
    100g w/o battery

Although I'm surprised about the weight difference. Even though the N900 isn't that heavy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

funkyflea wrote: »
    Hey.. first post using N900!

It's an 'EU' version with QWERTY keypad. Comes with an eu to uk power adaptor for the charger. Everythings in english though.
    Can I ask how you know its an EU version? or was the power adaptor the reason?

its just i'm trying to work out where mine is from...

I just can't get my nokia app and nodi system repo to work.

would you post your exact setting for those two repositories please?

[IMG][/img]repoj.png

Is this what you're looking for? Not sure what the nodi one is but I'll add it tomorrow and try it.

As usual I can't get my N900 to work with these settings above! ****ing soooo many problems I'm having with it. Not funny.
    Dude can you not just return it for a new one? yep you may have to wait a little but it has to be better than getting pissed off cos its not working out for you.

I have not read any one person with as many probs as you had with it... if it was me it would be gone back long ago.

I really hope you get it sorted soon.

• Advertisement

god's toy wrote: »
    Can I ask how you know its an EU version? or was the power adaptor the reason?

its just i'm trying to work out where mine is from...

Sure. I emailed expansys support asking why they included an adaptor and this is what I received back:
    Hi Dan,

Thanks for the email. The N900 is an EU model with QWERTY keyboard.

Hope this helps,
    Phil

ah very good.

thanks for your answer.

now just gotta keep looking for ways to find out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Four of a kind

Screenshots for o2 set up

Screenshot3.gif

Screenshot2.gif

Screenshot1.gif

Ok, thats one less problem sorted for me! This works now :)

So tomorrow, I'm going to use WAP to try and get the repo's sorted, as I was stated that it could be a problem with my wifi that's preventing me getting the repo's syncd!

Thanks guys so far for the constant help. I'll let ye know tomorrow how I fair out.:o

i noticed someone on maemo.org recomended using google dns aswell since their eircom router was their problem.

god's toy wrote: »
    ah very good.

thanks for your answer.

now just gotta keep looking for ways to find out.

under the battery there is usually information about the device, eg model number etc.
    i'd email nokia support or check their support documents/forums for how to determine your phone version.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭mwrf

Should there be a maemo devices forum? I mean there's an apple devices forum.
    This thread have nearly 50000 views. As the n900 becomes mainstream it's bound to be popular.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

stebishop wrote: »
    This thread have nearly 50000 views. As the n900 becomes mainstream it's bound to be popular.

You can request a forum over here. However, given how new the device is and how there are really only a handful of people posting in this thread, I can't see us getting approval for such a forum (for the record, I am all for it).

The Apple Media Devices forum is not specifically for the iPhone - it covers all devices, including the iPod, iPod Touch and no doubt the upcoming Apple tablet device.

There is a request in for an Android forum which certainly seems to be getting plenty of support. By all means give it a go for the N900.

You will have my support. :)

In other news, I am finally getting to play with an N900 this afternoon. A purchase could be made in the not too distant future. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

stebishop wrote: »
    i'd expect to have a dedicated nokia forum before that if you consider how many people are nokia users compared to how many would be using maemo (nokia or not).

under the battery there is usually information about the device, eg model number etc.
    i'd email nokia support or check their support documents/forums for how to determine your phone version.

Thanks for that.

Its something I'll have to do I suppose.

Oh and an update for Firefox on the 900 is out.

Does it work? hmm no better than last time in mine anyway but maybe yours will be better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭LK1

Ok, thats one less problem sorted for me! This works now :)

So tomorrow, I'm going to use WAP to try and get the repo's sorted, as I was stated that it could be a problem with my wifi that's preventing me getting the repo's syncd!

Thanks guys so far for the constant help. I'll let ye know tomorrow how I fair out.:o

Just a long shot but try and take out the o2 sim and try the wi-fi. My other half has an lg chocolate and for some reason the sim is preventing her from connecting to wi-fi.It works with a vodafone sim and without any sim.

ps was on my way home in a mates car yesterday and transmitted music to his stereo with my n900.He was well impressed.Love this phone the IM integration is great.

LK1 wrote: »
    Just a long shot but try and take out the o2 sim and try the wi-fi. My other half has an lg chocolate and for some reason the sim is preventing her from connecting to wi-fi.It works with a vodafone sim and without any sim.

ps was on my way home in a mates car yesterday and transmitted music to his stereo with my n900.He was well impressed.Love this phone the IM integration is great.

the n900 requires the sim card for bluetooth and wifi to work.

Not true. I've tried taking the sim out ages ago for the repo problem and the wifi worked 100%. Do definitely don't need to have the sim card in the phone in order for wifi to work. Well not on my device anyways.

will let you know how the repo thing goes later when I try it out.

Nope, I'm waiting for Nokia to fix my 3 SIM error and I'm doing everything on the device without it.
    The 'phone' part is only an application on the device and the OS was not built around the 'phone'

• Registered Users Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Ordered one of these beauts from expansys yeasterday, however went into my e-mail today and got this:
    expansys wrote:
    Sender: orderprocessing@expansys.com
    Mime-Version: 1.0
    Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"
    Date: Sat, 9 Jan 2010 16:12:03 GMT
    X-Mailer: ICS SMTP Component V2.45

Dear Sir / Madam,

In order to complete your order we need to conduct a further security
    check. If possible, please upload a scan of a recent utility bill
    along with a copy of some ID, such as a driving licence or passport
    to the following secure link:

LINK HERE

File types currently accepted are .gif, .jpeg, .jpg, .xls, .zip and
    .pdf.

Alternatively you may fax this information to +44 (0)161 919 9065,
    although we recommend the use of the secure upload facility if at all
    possible. All faxes received are kept securely and destroyed after
    use.

By doing this you help us confirm your identity and hence enable us
    to reduce fraud and keep our prices low.

Regards

Order Processing
    eXpansys

Is this normal procedure? Because it seems a bit weird...not happy about sending these kind of details to them to be honest.

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Ordered one of these beauts from expansys yeasterday, however went into my e-mail today and got this:

Is this normal procedure? Because it seems a bit weird...not happy about sending these kind of details to them to be honest.

I ordered mine from expansys.ie and had to send them the same info....it's fine. Just a security check on their part.

Is this normal procedure?

Yep I had to do this with a few online stores.

Fixed!!!!!!!!!!! :D:D:D:D:D

First I used my WAP to update the repo's....which worked perfect. so i was able to download pixlepipe, qik etc.

Then I did as was suggested on maemo.org and changed my DNS settings to Google's and tried to update again via wifi! Bingo! Worked perfectly!
    Thanks to everyone in this thread who helped sort this out all the way through. It took a week of trying but eventually got there!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Ok, so I finally got to see an N900 in all it's glory. And it was more than just a hands-on demo, it was a full geeky, here's-all-the-nerdy-stuff showcase. It was actually a demo at a local Linux Users Group, believe it or not, complete with the N900 being hooked up directly to a projector.

First impression is one of speed. I could not get over how responsive it was, and how quick it was to open apps and to switch between them.

While the user interface is a dream to use, it did seem a little clunky in places and just didn't seem as polished as the iPhone or the Nexus.

Multimedia features were impressive, I was pleasantly surprised to see a radio streaming component to the Media Player application. The in-built speakers were loud enough to be heard clearly 5-10 meters away in a large hall.

Unified messaging was another strong point, with the device treating the phone network no different from the internet when making either voice, text or instant messages.

We also got a demo on just how easy it was to program the thing. The guy giving the demo showed a program he wrote in Python - litreally a couple of lines to create a program to perform some basic tasks. He showed the same script running on an Ubuntu laptop and on the N900. Guess which looked a helluva lot better? :D

One demo I didn't get to see was the N900 hooked up to a Wii remote control via Bluetooth, running a SNES emulator. Sounds amazing.

Having had a good look at the phone, I can't help but feel the phone isn't for me. I can't put my finger on it, but I just couldn't take to the keyboard (no pun intended). Maybe as updates are released for the operating system and more programs are ported over, my opinion will change, but for now, I can't see myself buying it.

• Advertisement

just a note to anyone who uses it with no sim, it reverts to the US wifi frequencies. This was filed as a bug report but classed as "won't fix" because the FCC would not approve it otherwise. It also does this with no GSM signal.

so best to not use wifi above channel 11.

there is an app/script that allows you to change this manualy but i can't remember what it's called.

Advertisement