Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia N900

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Fixed!!!!!!!!!!! :D:D:D:D:D

First I used my WAP to update the repo's....which worked perfect. so i was able to download pixlepipe, qik etc.

Then I did as was suggested on maemo.org and changed my DNS settings to Google's and tried to update again via wifi! Bingo! Worked perfectly!
    Thanks to everyone in this thread who helped sort this out all the way through. It took a week of trying but eventually got there!

Thank the gods! Now you get to fully enjoy your N900.

Very happy for you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Four of a kind

god's toy wrote: »
    Thank the gods! Now you get to fully enjoy your N900.

Very happy for you :)

indeed i can. the power of this thing is just amazing. a few firmware updates and all the bugs will hopefully be ironed out. The pixelpipe app is really a sweet gadget. Love the gpodder and hermes as well. cant let the N900 out of my hands yet and its been a week :)

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭smegheadz

indeed i can. the power of this thing is just amazing. a few firmware updates and all the bugs will hopefully be ironed out. The pixelpipe app is really a sweet gadget. Love the gpodder and hermes as well. cant let the N900 out of my hands yet and its been a week :)

rumor on the firmware is that it's coming in the next few days. Guy at CES asked people at the nokia stall about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭mwrf

Tom Dunne wrote: »

Unified messaging was another strong point, with the device treating the phone network no different from the internet when making either voice, text or instant messages.

For me, this is the coolest thing about my n900, It's so seamless that I don't think about sms and im as different methods of communicating.

In a few months, i'm sure there will be n900 redesign that might suit you if the keyboard annoys you, It doesn't annoy me mind, a couple of days usage and it's rare I hit the wrong keys. I will admit it's a bit on the thick side though.

I don't think you can compare it to an iphone if you have linux experience, I mean it really is a pc in your pocket, unlike the iphone. It's only now that a mobile linux distro is going to become mainstream because of the n900, the only way is up if you were disappointed. (I'm delighted), I ssh into the thing! I'm trying to write scripts to do things that could never be done on an iphone or nexus.

What did they show you at the meeting exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

Thats great news four of a kind!

I just cant put this thing down. Everything is just so well integrated. I actually really like the conversations set up. My phonebook contacts have all been sync'd with my facebook friends so their photos and birthdays etc all update automatically (using hermes app). Listening to music, chatting on msn and surfing the web at the sametime just like on my laptop is brill.

I just want a genesis emulator and video support for skype and we're all set!

edit: browsing capabilities are immense on this device... anyone know any good browser/flash games that work well?

• Advertisement

smegheadz wrote: »
    rumor on the firmware is that it's coming in the next few days. Guy at CES asked people at the nokia stall about it.

Oh I really hope it does, i just want to use my sim in it.

One touch I really like is, if you have contacts on your 'Desk top' the pics are auto updated with the host. Nice.

Good lord I love this device!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

well holy god, I thought I had seen everything - the N900 as a Universal Remote Control :D

http://dailymobile.se/2009/09/17/control-your-tv-via-nokia-n900/

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

well holy god, I thought I had seen everything - the N900 as a Universal Remote Control :D

http://dailymobile.se/2009/09/17/control-your-tv-via-nokia-n900/

Haha brilliant, i was wondering what use there'd be for the IR port!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

New Update availible for alot of people. its called 1.2009.44-1, not sure if its the new big update but isnt availible for me as of yet. will report back once i get it installed.

hope its for the three sim cards.

• Advertisement

PR1.0.1 (44-1) is a small update that sets things up so PR1.1 can be pushed through the Application Manager. This update is only intended to allow the PR1.1 to be received OTA.

i guess thats good news as it must mean that pr1.1 is very close(i say wenesday)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

The update worked for me without any problems.

Doesn't seem to be much in it, but it is only supposed to be a mini one to get you ready for the big one.

Also looks like there are updates for some of the nokia apps too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Simond

Hi All,

Currently using the HTC HD2, thinking of changing to the N900, anyone any thoughts on which handset would be better!?

Cheers,

not sure about the hd2 but i can't imagine it being better than the n900. i have had alot of phones in my day.

really depends on what you are looking for. if it is web browing the n900 is the winner by far. it really is Mobile computing.

i suggest having a go of one to see if you like it. not that many people i'd say can go without protrait mode but for me its fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

Anyone tried the update yet? I can't because I haven't enough battery and I'm at work.

N900 doesn't support service commands at the moment.. To check credit balance etc, on meteor I'd frequently use the *#105# command to check my internet usage stats.. can't be done..

If anyone else is on meteor just use the desktop gprs counter widget, it's not entirely accurate but it's better than going over the limit (i've done it many times to my expense).

@simond, I've never used the htc, but the N900 is the best handset I've ever had. What are you looking for in a handset? N900 is 100% customisable from the ground up. The integration in contacts is amazing, seamless.

Anyway I've a small prob with music though - I sync'd a load of music via wmp but the tags on some of the tracks are wrong, I tried playing one track the other day I believe to be Chris cornell and it was something completely different, really weird and haven't had time to look into it yet.

Applications list updating very slowly now as I have added two repos ( to make a total of five now), bit disappointing.

Battery life is decent although I find I'm bringing my charger every where I go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Just updated my N900. Update 1.29009.44-1.002. After installing it restarted itself.

Using it for about 10mins, I don't see any difference.

Just so everyone is clear!!

All this update does is add a few icons to the app manager and prepare the phone for the bigger update(PR 1.1). There are no bug fixes in this!!

basically they needed to add a few things to the app manager so that they could make sure the new firmware goes in smoothly.

also a few people may be experiancing a problem when trying to check for updates in the app manager. this has nothing to do with the new update. the server is taken alot of strain because of all the people trying to update the firmware.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

how much is a n900 i have a n97 and the coverage is very bad on it, only have it since xmas

Thor wrote: »
    Just so everyone is clear!!

All this update does is add a few icons to the app manager and prepare the phone for the bigger update(PR 1.1). There are no bug fixes in this!!

basically they needed to add a few things to the app manager so that they could make sure the new firmware goes in smoothly.

also a few people may be experiancing a problem when trying to check for updates in the app manager. this has nothing to do with the new update. the server is taken alot of strain because of all the people trying to update the firmware.

How/where do I get this update on my device? Do I just go into app manager and click update?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭vote4pedro

malcox wrote: »
    how much is a n900 i have a n97 and the coverage is very bad on it, only have it since xmas

Quite hard to get in Ireland at the moment, only expansys.ie seem to sell here and that's at €580.
    Direct from nokia.co.uk will cost £500 but will only post to a UK address so you may need a friend in Norn Iron/Great Britain.
    From amazon.com it costs $550 (€380, + sales tax) but will only deliver to a US address, and you will probably get stung for import tax if you try to have it sent on to Ireland (though you could pick it up and 'smuggle' it back in your pocket if you were in the US for any reason)

I have seen these guys selling for $310... [snipped]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

That's such a scam mail/site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭vote4pedro

Presumed as much, edited accordingly :)

The ovi store is up!!

www.store.ovi.com

Not availbe through the bookmark from the phone, but its available though the above link.

Yep got the update note on the screen as soon as I got home tonight.

I'm loving the new icons in the app manager, very nice.

Is it just me or do we have a lot more apps now ready for download? (Not talking about the Extras or anything... Perhaps not..

Yep got the update note on the screen as soon as I got home tonight.

I'm loving the new icons in the app manager, very nice.

Is it just me or do we have a lot more apps now ready for download? (Not talking about the Extras or anything... Perhaps not..

where did you get this note? From the app manager page?

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭rushnaldo

Do you have to pay for these apps? Why all the updates and is there a major one coming out soon that everyone is waiting on?

where did you get this note? From the app manager page?
    Nope it was a little Orange '!' beside the battery display. I clicked on it and in the boxs it said some updates were available to download.

rushnaldo wrote: »
    Do you have to pay for these apps? Why all the updates and is there a major one coming out soon that everyone is waiting on?

So far all apps I seen and used were free.

Yep some of us (IE, me) are waiting on updated firmware so I can use my 3 usim in the Device. I'm sure it will have many more tweaks too that users want/asked for but that thats all I care about right now. :pac:

The ovi store is up!!

www.store.ovi.com

Not availbe through the bookmark from the phone, but its available though the above link.

Lol thanks for that!

the very first thing I see after the Ovi store page loads is 'Lovely Zoe'!

Hmm and yes, she is!

• Advertisement

Nope it was a little Orange '!' beside the battery display. I clicked on it and in the boxs it said some updates were available to download.

How come I got no little Orange ! beside my battery??????????:mad::mad::mad::mad: :eek:

ahhh just got it now!!!!!!! :)

Advertisement