Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia N900

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭lunacyfoundme

just did my first 3g speedtest for vodafone on speedtest.net 1 meg up 2.5 down. not too shabby.

has anyone had trouble backing up the phone with pc suite. itll connect with everything else ie messages contacts but when i try using baackup it says theres no device connected. and ovi suite wont recognise my n900. both are up to date versions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Simond

HI All,

Does the N900 support push email for exchange, and also syncing of sub folders?

Cheers,

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

just did my first 3g speedtest for vodafone on speedtest.net 1 meg up 2.5 down. not too shabby.

has anyone had trouble backing up the phone with pc suite. itll connect with everything else ie messages contacts but when i try using baackup it says theres no device connected. and ovi suite wont recognise my n900. both are up to date versions.

I've only used the backup application on the device. Which creates a zip file of the backup that you can then move to your PC.

I've only used the backup application on the device. Which creates a zip file of the backup that you can then move to your PC.

Great Ill try that. Need to back up before the new firmware updates comes out. Hope Portfolio view comes along soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

I just tried a speedtest for the hell of it. I'm on 3Ireland. 3Mbps down and 0.35Mbps up. Not bad!

Has anyone been using WebTexter? Its working a treat and more importantly saving me a fortune!

Also, has anyone tried Fennec? I'm finding that it's so slow it's just unusable. Very disappointed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭smegheadz

I just tried a speedtest for the hell of it. I'm on 3Ireland. 3Mbps down and 0.35Mbps up. Not bad!

Has anyone been using WebTexter? Its working a treat and more importantly saving me a fortune!

Also, has anyone tried Fennec? I'm finding that it's so slow it's just unusable. Very disappointed.

Fennec is going to RC2, there is a bug with RC1 causing it to run really slowly. maemo.org someone posted a temp fix. i'm not sure if they fixed this fully on RC2

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭goldwing

I've just noticed mine has a dead pixel should I report this to expasys as faulty what do you think?

smegheadz wrote: »
    Fennec is going to RC2, there is a bug with RC1 causing it to run really slowly. maemo.org someone posted a temp fix. i'm not sure if they fixed this fully on RC2

Hi smegheadz,

Do you have a link to the fix? I can't seem to find it. I've got RC2 installed, and I'm finding it slower than RC1!

Thanks, ambrose

Hi smegheadz,

Do you have a link to the fix? I can't seem to find it. I've got RC2 installed, and I'm finding it slower than RC1!

Thanks, ambrose

taken from http://stechz.com/2010/make-your-fennec-rc1-fast-again/Make your Fennec RC1 fast again

If you are using RC1 on the N900, do yourself a favor and turn off disk caching. Set the preference “browser.cache.disk.enable” to false:
    1. Navigate to “about:config”.
    2. In the Filter field, type in “disk” to narrow the results down.
    3. Carefully tap the one that says “browser.cache.disk.enable” and press Enter on your keyboard. The preference should become bold.
    4. Restart your browser.
    Sometime after beta 5, we’ve known that there was a regression with loading pages. After releasing RC1, our fellow hacker Doug solved the mystery: in beta 5, Firefox’s disk cache had effectively been turned off for the N900. We “fixed” the problem in RC1 and caused a major regression in page loading performance. Here’s the bug if you want to track it.
    This is a band-aid solution for 1.0. Ultimately we want disk caching to happen outside of the main thread so that Firefox stays snappy during page load.

@smegheadz.
    RC2 seems to have "browser.cache.disk.enable" set to false by default. Ah well! Thanks anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Four of a kind

matrim wrote: »

where's the location of this zip file on the N900? I've done a backup on the N900, now just need to move the zip onto my Pc?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

where's the location of this zip file on the N900? I've done a backup on the N900, now just need to move the zip onto my Pc?

I think if you plug it in to your PC in mass storage mode then go to the folder backups it should be there

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

Correct matrim, there's a backup folder there with the backups inside.

Sega genesis emulator...please. I wish I knew how to code so I could attempt to port one. :(

Multitasking is great, I opened a load of apps today with no slowdown:

screenshot01ym.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Any word yet on if/when Meteor will start offering the N900?

Sparks wrote: »
    Any word yet on if/when Meteor will start offering the N900?

seems like vodafone are the only carrier to go for it at the moment and that doesn't look like it will be available untill feb/march.

A word of warning with regards to getting it from the carriers, Vodafone UK have branded their devices and put vodafone 360 on it. they've also locked down certian aspects of the phone so you won't get the updates that nokia release OTA, you will have to wait till vodafone approve it and let it through. It may be cheaper in the long run to just get it simfree and choose your own carrier.

seems like vodafone are the only carrier to go for it at the moment and that doesn't look like it will be available untill feb/march.

A word of warning with regards to getting it from the carriers, Vodafone UK have branded their devices and put vodafone 360 on it. they've also locked down certian aspects of the phone so you won't get the updates that nokia release OTA, you will have to wait till vodafone approve it and let it through. It may be cheaper in the long run to just get it simfree and choose your own carrier.

+1

wasnt there something from nokia ages ago that they wouldnt allow the N900 to be branded or have service provider software on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭RobbieM

god's toy wrote: »
    Yep it does! and it integrates into contacts too like all the others (IE Twitter,Skype,Yahoo ect.)
    And you can set up gmail for the device too.

Just waiting on the FB chat integration...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

RobbieM wrote: »
    Just waiting on the FB chat integration...

Is that in the pipeline? That'd be a welcome addition.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

A word of warning with regards to getting it from the carriers, Vodafone UK have branded their devices and put vodafone 360 on it. they've also locked down certian aspects of the phone so you won't get the updates that nokia release OTA, you will have to wait till vodafone approve it and let it through.

Thanks for that info - I had been holding out hoping to get it simfree from Vodafone but won't on that basis.

Ahhh well looks like I will go and get this N900 so...

http://www.papayaone.com/copy-nokia-n900-dual-sim-card-touch-screen-cell-phone-p-4950.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 bfree

how long did they take and is your's a UK model?
    I got mine from fonezonline.com but was just a little too slow to get one from their first batch. Spoke to them on the phone and once they had double checked the last one was gone they told me the next batch was due on the Friday. Unfortunately the inability of the country to cope with a bit of snow meant it didn't arrive on the Friday however come Monday I had my shiny new N900 in my hands.

It is not a UK model, it is a Middle Eastern model, the only hardware difference is the charger needs an adapter (supplied though it's a little loose fitting) to plug in to our sockets. Given it's a mini-usb socket for charging this doesn't bother me too much as I'm sure it will be easy to find an alternative if I want to. The bigger issue is obviously the warranty so the question is if it's worth €50 to you to not have to rely on fonezonline for the warranty (and to not buy it from a supplier in Ireland).

I'd have given fonezonline a glowing report except for two issues, they don't make it clear on their site that it is a Middle Eastern phone and they couldn't supply me with a VAT invoice yet (it's promised to me when their paperwork makes it). They were tested a little and great in terms of being contactable and staying in touch, and going the extra mile to make sure I could get my hands on the device as soon as they could get their hands on it.

Does anyone know if the vodafone "Mobile TV" can work on the (non vodafone) N900? I've a bad feeling that the "mobile tv" is real media which isn't supported at all without diving into extras-testing and even then I'll guess some DRM (Dirty Rotten Madness/Digital Restrictions Management) is likely to stand in the way? If anyone knows it won't work, does anyone know if any other providers will let you get Sky Sports playing on an N900?

As for the Vodafone "branding and crippling service" on "their" phones, does anyone have a link or info on what they have done? Have they removed root or (more important) have they disabled the ability to reflash it to remove their branding? Perhaps this crippling "service" explains why you can pickup a N900 cheaper in the uk from third parties then from vodafone themselves, Nokia probably couldn't prevent them from crippling the device but could make them pay for the privilege.

Finally to podgeandrodge you do realise that is a "Copy N900" and not the real thing (e.g. it has a 320x240 screen, 256K of memory and god only knows what OS it runs).

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Clove are getting stock in on the 18th...and their prices have shot up to £500

• Registered Users Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

bfree wrote: »
    Finally to podgeandrodge you do realise that is a "Copy N900" and not the real thing (e.g. it has a 320x240 screen, 256K of memory and god only knows what OS it runs).

Yes :D I am too subtle in my jokes! But you're right to give a warning - there is one born every minute :D

• Registered Users Posts: 34 roryj

they have "coming soon" for the n900, was it there for you too? how long did they take and is your's a UK model? i'm considering them as they take laser too.
    you have to fax or email ur passport or anthing?

Ordered on wed and was in dublin on friday. Was intouch by phone a few times and no documentation had to be faxed. Colleced it in mullingar on monday and paid on collection. Barcode sticker says "Middle East EU".
    Its the most stable Nokia high end fone i've had so far and i've had most of them.
    2 days and have not taken the battery out once.

Ps. I think the issue of the charging adapter was mentioned earlier in this thread so is it that many of the n900 are "non uk" versions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

I applied the Zagg Invisible full body shield to mine today and have to say I'm well impressed with it!

I was concerned about the screen(obviously), but I was also concerned about the sensitivity of the screen after putting the shield on, but I have to say I don't notice any difference in the least.

Now I don't have to worry about the screen or any of the body getting marked as the shield is unbelievably tough!:D:D:D

Must have missed this one.

Cool! Just popped along and ordered mine. (and Zagg take Paypal too!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 seldone

may have a spare n900 next forthnight at 500 .brand new, ,If anyone is interested ,send us back an email or whatever.Expecting them in the post .

god's toy wrote: »
    Must have missed this one.

Cool! Just popped along and ordered mine. (and Zagg take Paypal too!)

I'm loving mine. Took 2 days for all the bubbles to work themselves out. Now I don't have to handle it with all much precision and I'm not worried about scratches as the shield is unbelievable.:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Alright, considering taking the plunge as somehow I have some money left after christmas before the january paycheque. Please don't ask how, I'm very confused by this myself.

Anyway, I need a helpful and very honest user here to answer some questions for me. I've been searching on the net and only found N900 fan-boys either defending the phones shortcomings or iPhone fan-boys slating it. I know its easy to get overly defensive after spending 500 quid on a new phone, you want to tell everyone its great, perhaps even to convince yourself it was worth it. I did it with the Hero, ignored niggles and thought it was great, and that was only 2 months back, now I hate it.

I've read excuses like its in its infancy, and its a geeks only device (shouldnt be a problem for me!), but anywho...

Is it laggy, ever? I know it can multi-task well, but what can you throw at it that will make it stutter a bit? I've searched "N900 slow" and "N900 lag" etc on youtube, and theres no results, which is good.

Really, the most important thing is the browser. Will it fire-up the full version of boards quickly? The 3Gs was amazing at rendering the full version, but the hero can only handle the mobile site. How long does it take assuming connection isnt an issue?

How is making a phonecall? A simple task surely, but the Hero lags here. I make a call, get voicemail. Hangup, and im left with the dialler on screen along with recently dialled. So I hit the top name on the list to re-dial, but it hasnt updated with the call I just made yet. This stuff annoys me. Petty? yes, but I'm allowed to be, right? :o

Is it true you have to double tap the power key to lock the phone, or can this be changed in prefs? Seems like the 5800 double tap problem is sneaking back?

Hows the screen? Ive seen a few videos where people have to tap something a second time, but in everyday use, do you find it responsive? Does it move/bend when pressed, or is it a nice solid glass?

How is Landscape only? Yes, yes, it will be updated in the new firmware, but it was designed to be landscape. Can you mess about with it with one hand easy enough?

This thread, for the most part, has me very interested, but this thread worries me.

Sorry for the long post, but I didnt research the hero properly and really like the look of the N900. I'd like to like it when I have it, rather than try to like it.

Is it laggy, ever? I know it can multi-task well, but what can you throw at it that will make it stutter a bit? I've searched "N900 slow" and "N900 lag" etc on youtube, and theres no results, which is good.

Ive only noticed some lag in the last two days. Prob cause I have rebooted it nearly since I got it though. Twould be the same for any computer. On the whole it is very quick even when you have a load of apps open.
    Really, the most important thing is the browser. Will it fire-up the full version of boards quickly? The 3Gs was amazing at rendering the full version, but the hero can only handle the mobile site. How long does it take assuming connection isnt an issue?

The fastest connection I would have is my WAN and everything loads up very quick. Obviously flash based sites load a little slower like speedtest.net or tv.com but I ve found them slow on my pc anyway.

How is making a phonecall? A simple task surely, but the Hero lags here. I make a call, get voicemail. Hangup, and im left with the dialler on screen along with recently dialled. So I hit the top name on the list to re-dial, but it hasnt updated with the call I just made yet. This stuff annoys me. Petty? yes, but I'm allowed to be, right?

I initially found it a pain to have to go to go to the phone app, then to contacts then snap the phone closed to go to portfolio. Stupidly Ididnt even think of using desktop contacts shortcuts. Now its snap open, touch contact, touch call, snap closed. 5 seconds max.

Is it true you have to double tap the power key to lock the phone, or can this be changed in prefs? Seems like the 5800 double tap problem is sneaking back?

The slider button on the side locks the phone instantly or you can change to power settings so it locks after a few seconds.

Hows the screen? Ive seen a few videos where people have to tap something a second time, but in everyday use, do you find it responsive? Does it move/bend when pressed, or is it a nice solid glass?

Totally solid. I do notice sometimes I have to tap again but not often enough to bug me.

How is Landscape only? Yes, yes, it will be updated in the new firmware, but it was designed to be landscape. Can you mess about with it with one hand easy enough?

Took a day or two to get used to, but TBH I wouldnt go back to portfolio except for the phone app and maybe anything with a long scrollable list. Quickly got used to using the qwerty keyboard aswell

This thread, for the most part, has me very interested, but this thread worries me.

the guy who started that second thread sounds like a twat. All his issues are minor issues that will be resolved with firmware updates. Even thought it was 'months late' it was rushed out because of demand. He also says in his next post that he will really enjoy the phone????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Would anyone have a recommendation for a brick and mortar shop in new york where this wonderous device might be purchased? Also any thoughts on pitfalls wrt to buying one in the states ( I think i've asked this before but that was pre release)?

Advertisement