Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia N900

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Bambi wrote: »
    Would anyone have a recommendation for a brick and mortar shop in new york where this wonderous device might be purchased? Also any thoughts on pitfalls wrt to buying one in the states ( I think i've asked this before but that was pre release)?

The flagship store is on 57th street.

Your warranty would only be valid in the USA and not in europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

lunacyfoundme,

Slow?

Nope I have never see it slow down.. (maybe thats just mine as I dont fill it with every app out there)

Phonecall?

Funny I am yet to do that as my 3 sim does not work in it... yet (firmware fix update on the way)
    However one thing I really like is when you hold it up to make a phone call the screen changes to show a dilling pad/contacts list/calls info.

browser

Super fast but the odd crash. microB is better (at this stage) than the firefox browser.
    Pages DO look just like a desktop.

double tap the power key to lock

Thats a glitch?? hell I love that you can do it! Nice and fast lock and go.

Video?

I have not experienced this... that I can remember anyway.

Landscape only?

Yep right now but fix on the way says maemo.org

but this thread worries me

Yep thats an odd one alright.... but then I see some odd posters on that forum.. one guy looks to be just there to start flame wars and diss the Device... while giving all respect to apple.. fanboy? You bet.

my last words are, It took me a day or so to get use to the OS but I love how slick it really is.
    With it being just out on the market we have many months before it's the device of choice like others have become..
    Having said that, it blows me way every day I use it and nothing I have used mobile-wise comes close to it... that is not a fan boy talking, that is a fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Got my N900 today (posting from it now!). It's pretty cool. Takes a bit of getting used to as it's not really a mobile phone but more like a mini-laptop. Lovin' it!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Four of a kind

god's toy wrote: »
    lunacyfoundme,

Slow?

Nope I have never see it slow down.. (maybe thats just mine as I dont fill it with every app out there)

Phonecall?

Funny I am yet to do that as my 3 sim does not work in it... yet (firmware fix update on the way)
    However one thing I really like is when you hold it up to make a phone call the screen changes to show a dilling pad/contacts list/calls info.

browser

Super fast but the odd crash. microB is better (at this stage) than the firefox browser.

double tap the power key to lock

Thats a glitch?? hell I love that you can do it! Nice and fast lock and go.

Video?

I have not experienced this... that I can remember anyway.

Landscape only?

Yep right now but fix on the way says maemo.org

but this thread worries me

Yep thats an odd one alright.... but then I see some odd posters on that forum.. one guy looks to be just there to start flame wars and diss the Device... while giving all respect to apple.. fanboy? You bet.

my last words are, It took me a day or so to get use to the OS but I love how slick it really is.
    With it being just out on the market we have many months before it's the device of choice like others have become..
    Having said that, it blows me way every day I use it and nothing I have used mobile-wise comes close to it... that is not a fan boy talking, that is a fact.

I presume is the MicroB thats already installed on the device out of the box?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

The second firmware has been released. Maemo 5 2.2009.51-1

Updating via wifi now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

The second firmware has been released. Maemo 5 2.2009.51-1

Updating via wifi now.

Here's the list of changes

http://wiki.maemo.org/Maemo_5/PR1.1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Oskarmat

it says: Hutchison SIM cards are supported

looks like i can finally go ahead and buy this

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

matrim wrote: »
    Here's the list of changes

http://wiki.maemo.org/Maemo_5/PR1.1

Don't see any fix for sending service commands? It's something I would really like to have.

Also nothing for MMS as far as I can see?

Other improvements are welcome though.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭RobbieM

Does anyone know if the vodafone "Mobile TV" can work on the (non vodafone) N900? I've a bad feeling that the "mobile tv" is real media which isn't supported at all without diving into extras-testing and even then I'll guess some DRM (Dirty Rotten Madness/Digital Restrictions Management) is likely to stand in the way? If anyone knows it won't work, does anyone know if any other providers will let you get Sky Sports playing on an N900?

which mobile TV on vodafone. I thought they only had download clips? O2 has proper mobile TV, skysports.

When you say mobile TV, what do you mean?
    There is a way to change the transition speed for the dial pad.
    Landscape only?
    Check out Midori for beautiful PORTRAIT fast browsing. Highly Recomended! :pac:
    There is a guy who wrote a command line mms script, so full mms is possible. just need a resource to implement it!

funkyflea wrote: »
    Don't see any fix for sending service commands? It's something I would really like to have.

Other improvements are welcome though.

According to the USSD bug it will be included in PR1.2 whenever that is out.

For MMS the changelog says improvements to the documentation of the wappushd-dev module, so hopefully this will help with third party devs creating mms apps.

There is already one in extras-devel. I've had some success testing it on O2. I could receive a message and send one but it's not 100% yet, as the message I sent had some message about unsuppored format eventhough you could see the picture fully.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Update went smoothly. Took ages though. Loving the portrait mode in microb.

Quick question. If I receive a phone call from someone more than once, its shows in the recent call list as Person(x), where x is the number of times they called.
    It's only showing the time for the last call. Is there anywhere that I can see what time the other x calls were made?

Thanks

Update went smoothly. Took ages though. Loving the portrait mode in microb.

Quick question. If I receive a phone call from someone more than once, its shows in the recent call list as Person(x), where x is the number of times they called.
    It's only showing the time for the last call. Is there anywhere that I can see what time the other x calls were made?

Thanks

Unless it came in the new firmware then no. The info is there in the communications database, but I don't think it's possible to show it yet. There was a thread on TMO about it and possibly a bug filed against it.

It shouldn't be too hard for someone to write an app to view all the detailed logs but I haven't heard of one.

Stee wrote: »
    Is it laggy, ever? I know it can multi-task well, but what can you throw at it that will make it stutter a bit? I've searched "N900 slow" and "N900 lag" etc on youtube, and theres no results, which is good.

I haven't noticed any lag but haven't pushed it too hard yet either. Most I've had running is about 3 or 4 browser sessions and a couple of apps and it worked fine.
    Really, the most important thing is the browser. Will it fire-up the full version of boards quickly? The 3Gs was amazing at rendering the full version, but the hero can only handle the mobile site. How long does it take assuming connection isnt an issue?

Full version works fine when I use it. I still mostly use the mobile version but only because most of my usage is over 3G and in an area where the coverage can be bad so the smaller page sizes are better.
    It's also handled any site I've used, including fantasy.premierleague.com which is quite a heavy site.
    Only browser slowdown I've seen is occasionally in flash videos.
    Other than that I've had about 2 browser crashes since I got it.
    How is making a phonecall? A simple task surely, but the Hero lags here. I make a call, get voicemail. Hangup, and im left with the dialler on screen along with recently dialled. So I hit the top name on the list to re-dial, but it hasnt updated with the call I just made yet. This stuff annoys me. Petty? yes, but I'm allowed to be, right? :o
    Calls over GSM and SIP work fine for me. The only slight issue I have is that sometimes the volume can be a bit low as the start of the call and you have to raise the volume. It seems to take the volume from the system rather than have a specific volume for calls.
    Is it true you have to double tap the power key to lock the phone, or can this be changed in prefs? Seems like the 5800 double tap problem is sneaking back?
    I use the lock slider on the bottom of the phone. Didn't know about double tap the power key to lock.
    Hows the screen? Ive seen a few videos where people have to tap something a second time, but in everyday use, do you find it responsive? Does it move/bend when pressed, or is it a nice solid glass?
    I have to double tap occasionaly but not too often. It's not a glass screen and I'd recommend to have a screen protector but I find the screen very responsive even with a protector.
    How is Landscape only? Yes, yes, it will be updated in the new firmware, but it was designed to be landscape. Can you mess about with it with one hand easy enough?

Doesn't bother me. It would be nice to have a couple of things like sms sending \ reading in portrait but landscape works fine too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 bfree

RobbieM wrote: »
    which mobile TV on vodafone. I thought they only had download clips? O2 has proper mobile TV, skysports.

When you say mobile TV, what do you mean?

There is a way to change the transition speed for the dial pad.
    The vfmobiletv page from vodafone.ie is the "mobile TV" I was talking about. I'm on a PAYG sim with vodafone as of now hence asking before I throw euro's at them to try myself.

I'm unlikely to move to O2, but you never know, and as others might be interested also can anyone confirm their "tv" works with the N900? Bonus points if you can confirm that they don't block out the Heineken Cup Rugby as their T&C states "Not all programmes shown on the full Sky television versions of these channels will be available on Sky Mobile TV". Meteor doesn't appear to have any equivalent service and I got the impression three's won't work on anything other then a phone bought from them.

I'm also curious how you change the transition speed for the dial pad, right now it seems to not work for me at all, am I missing something? Well right now my phone is doing just about nothing as it's slowly downloading the 1.1 update.

Downloading update... waiting... hoping... praying! (for the 3 sim to work)

... and the new is....

IT WORKS!!!!

My 3 SIM now works in the N900! WooHoo!!!:D Thanks Nokia, your da best!

Tell the world! (Or anyone asking) :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭corglass

great stuff, thats class re 3 working with the update.

My phone is just after arriving to a friends place in New York.... now how to collect it....?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

For the people who bought it on expansys, which version did you buy, there is one for 579 and one for 701 with the only difference being that the 701 has UK after it. I presume this implies that it has a uk qwerty keyboard and the other does not.

If there is a difference, what is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

They both have QWERTY keyboards tomtom, I bought the cheaper one. I say cheaper, it's not really cheap is it? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,705 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Can anyone explain how pixelpipe works. I downloaded it and then when I go into the 'control panel' there is no icon there? Yet its saying its loaded ?

Anyone who ordered from Zagg how long did it take for your delivery to arrive?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭corglass

seldone wrote: »
    Hey there Cutglass . looks like were in the same situation.You come up with any ideas regarding getting it here?Got one in a mates an posting over .have a few ideas to share .seldone

Hi Seldone,

I sent you a PM. Any idea how to get the beast to Ireland?

C

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭lunacyfoundme

Can anyone explain how pixelpipe works.

Dont think theres an icon in the menu for it it works more like a plugin for gallery options. If you open an image in the gallery and tap the pic youll get options. select the share icon (three dots connected by lines), then select 'share by service'. You should get the pixelpipe option there or if not youll get the option to set up a new service.

I set mine up to send photos to my wall album on facebook. Works great.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Anyone throw any light on this question posted on expansys:

"What kind of QWERTY is it? UK QWERTY or IT QWERTY?" note the different arrows layout in the bottom right - I would imaging having dedicated arrow keys like the first picture would be better? Which version is the Expansys one ye all have?

UK QWERTY:

57927774.jpg

IT QWERTY:

98142901.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

I don't have it, but one's QWERTY and the other's QWERTZ.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Dr Rod Doom

Mine has the Qwerty layout with the 4 arrows, bought from Expansys UK

Getting good speed being indoors.

in Dun Laoghaire Co Dublin.

683395539.png

So much faster than my Samsung i900

Edit: going by those last few posts ive got the uk keyboard too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

I don't have it, but one's QWERTY and the other's QWERTZ.
    ahh well spotted thanks. And thanks to dr. Rod for confirmation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Four of a kind

Can anyone explain how pixelpipe works. I downloaded it and then when I go into the 'control panel' there is no icon there? Yet its saying its loaded ?

Anyone who ordered from Zagg how long did it take for your delivery to arrive?

http://blog.pixelpipe.com/2009/12/28...via-pixelpipe/

1. Open the Contacts application on your N900 and create a new contact called Pixelpipe, you’ll then need to select “add field” and scroll down and select the type of IM service you’re utilizing such as Google Talk or Ovi.

2. In the new service field enter pixelpipe@im.pixelpipe.com as the address and save.

3. Now open the new Pixelpipe contact and select the IM service option from the Contacts or Conversations applications.

4. You now you need to send Pixelpipe a message with your application key so we can bind your IM address to your Pixelpipe account. You can find your Application key and specific instructions at http://pixelpipe.com/tools under the Instant Messaging heading. Note: You’ll need to sign-in to see your application key & the format to send is “verify-application_key“

6. You can now add your favorite mico-blogs and status services from http://pixelpipe.com from the desktop or http://m.pixelpipe.com from your handset and start posting from Nokia Contacts & Conversations on your N900.

7. Enjoy!
    My note: To send a status update to Facebook you would use..

@Facebook I am at this bar!

For Twitter it would be @twitter I am at this bar!

Regarding zagg, I got it and its savage. Works a treat and the screen works 100% the same with it on.
    Really recommend the zagg or something similar for your device.

Pixelpipe is a great service, it really is. So easy and effective.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭smegheadz

Mine has the Qwerty layout with the 4 arrows, bought from Expansys UK

your's may be a UK model or a EU qwerty. check the box or look in settings for the firmware details.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 colmkirk

Is the n900 sold on fonezonline.com the qwerty withe 4 arrows in the bottom right or qwertz version?

Advertisement