Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia N900

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Four of a kind

the new update supports portrait web browsing, but not portrait sms/conversations with virtual keyboard :(

Dame, oh well I suppose it will be in the next update. Seems to me the it has increased the response time on my device...runs even quicker especially when tapping on an icon etc.

However I would def like a quicker time it takes the phone app to come on when you turn/rotate the device into portrait mode. Slight bit of lag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 bfree

colmkirk wrote: »
    Is the n900 sold on fonezonline.com the qwerty withe 4 arrows in the bottom right or qwertz version?
    It's qwerty, 4 arrows bottom right and nothing odd/unusual about it I can discover yet.

p.s. figured out you need to enable the rotate to bring up phone feature with the "Turning Control" option in the phone mode menu. Not sure how useful/annoying it might be but only one way to find out (I think I like the delay though as otherwise I suspect it would be incorrectly triggered too often).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 bfree

Looks like o2tv won't work on the N900 without someone figuring out some trickery. I picked up a free o2 prepay sim, sent the "TV" text to 50202, got it to send the settings to me (said I had a N95) and they arrived (pin required was 1234) and when I applied them it said it didn't apply them because they were the same as what was there but it merged them. However they were totally different (apn internet u/p blank) and I could now change the internet connection from wifi to the now renamed o2 "streaming" settings. Hit the link the the reply to the TV text and got a lovely page which said:

"O2 TV is not supported on your phone. Go to www.o2.ie/o2tv for the list of supported phones"

Now the N95 I pretended to be to get the settings is supported so I guess it's simply refusing the browser (maybe just by user agent) so I can't even purchase a pass to try and see if I can get a uri any of the media players might work with (anyone know a user agent string worth trying, at least about:config works in microb). Maybe I could find a phone to "borrow" to buy the pass but I don't think I'll bother unless someone can confirm it will work.

Something makes me doubt I'll have any more luck with vodafone but I think that's next to try.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 roryj

Seems to be a 90mb update out this eve.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Has arrived on pixmania - showing an arrival date of today (but not available yet) Priced at €656 - so too expensive but worth keeping an eye on as Pixmania can drop prices quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

seldone wrote: »
    never mind I got it .however purhaps someone knows of the constant annoying of having to keep logging in all the time ?

Yep go into to settings and set your connection to auto.

roryj wrote: »
    Seems to be a 90mb update out this eve.

Another new update? Not yesterdays?

Google talk video calls work!

Get someone (or a 2nd account) to video call you from google-talk on the pc.
    You can now see the caller on the n900 screen, tap the cam icon to use your cam too :)

OK so the quality is dire but hey it works!

Not found a way to video call out from the N900 yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Posting this from my new N900. :D

Loving it. More later.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭tfeldi

I'm thinking about getting myself the phone online. But what I'm struggling with is which price plan I should take. I'm on Vodafone prepay now and want to stay with Vodafone as most friends also use it. There is a good chance that I move abroad at the end of the year. So, I wouldn't be too happy about a 18-month-contract.

So, I thought the Simply Plan (100 free texts/minutes and free Vodafone texts/minutes) for 20 Euro with 30 days notice + the Mobile internet add (500MB) for 10 Euro). The 500MB are not a lot. But I should be OK, if I avoid Youtube etc when not at home.

Am I missing anything?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Posting this from my new N900. :D

Loving it. More later.

I thought you decided not to get it.

Lol your right, it's right here.

I can't see myself buying it.

matrim wrote: »
    I thought you decided not to get it.

Yip. I was fully convinced I didn't want it. However, I couldn't justify the 700 Euro for the iPhone 3GS, so I didn't even think about it, I just went ahead and bought the N900 this morning. :o

I convinced myself I wanted it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Yip. I was fully convinced I didn't want it. However, I couldn't justify the 700 Euro for the iPhone 3GS, so I didn't even think about it, I just went ahead and bought the N900 this morning. :o

I convinced myself I wanted it. :)

Tom Dunne.....with a phone with a keyboard! :eek::eek::eek:

Tom Dunne.....with a phone with a keyboard! :eek::eek::eek:

Yeah, but I don't really have to use it. :)

I must admit, I am really liking it. The user interface takes a little getting used to, but it's growing on me. This crazy idea of having a number of apps running at the same time is quite appealing.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Yeah, but I don't really have to use it. :)

I must admit, I am really liking it. The user interface takes a little getting used to, but it's growing on me. This crazy idea of having a number of apps running at the same time is quite appealing.

Very cool. I just have to wait until i get paid and i'll put in an order for mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭boc121

I just went ahead and bought the N900 this morning. :o:)

Just wondering where you bought it?
    Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

DAMMIT TOM!
    /strikes off another reason to spend €600 on a bloody phone.
    /weeps

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

boc121 wrote: »
    Cheers.

He's living in Dubai or somewhere like that now so he probably bought it there.

Goddammit could not resist any longer.:D

Ordered off Expansys.com.

ps every little helps - go here for a £5 Expansys voucher (takes about a day to get the voucher in your email)

http://www.tracyandmatt.co.uk/blogs/expansys.php

• Advertisement

Just two observations that I wondered if they can be fixed:

First one:

Just I updated the new firmware 14th jan, I noticed that during voice calls the sound of the other person on the line goes very quiet for about 15/20 seconds before returning to normal quality? Is this just me or are others experiencing this same problem since the update? It was 100% before I did the update.

Second:

not related to any update, but I would like to know if there is some way of locking the screen so that when I receive a voice call that I have to "swipe" or unlock the phone before I answer it?
    For example, twice yesterday when i was receiving a call, I picked the phone out of my pocket only to press the "end" icon by accident. Therefore ending the call without meaning to.

anyone know how to help with the above two scenarios?
    Thanks in advance.

Cheers.

I'm in Bahrain, so I bought it in a local shop. It cost me around 410 Euro (equivalent in local currency). Not a bad price.:)

Goddammit could not resist any longer.:D

Ordered off Expansys.com.

ps every little helps - go here for a £5 Expansys voucher (takes about a day to get the voucher in your email)

http://www.tracyandmatt.co.uk/blogs/expansys.php

By the way, anyone know what the story is using an N900 on airplanes - do airlines allow it as a 'computer/netbook' or make you switch it off as a mobile? (with or without flight mode or sim in it or not)

ive noticed a huge increase in battery time since i updated to the PR1.1 firmware(the one on the 14th) :)

my battery power was very decent prior to the update, but its even longer now!!!!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

More questions for lucky owners :D

is the version of firefox working with silverlight by any chance?

And more importantly, has anyone used it as an exchange client? Is it using nokias existing mail for exchange software? I've never managed to get that working on my N95

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

Can anyone update me on what the story is with this now?

Also can some one explain this:
    http://www.expansys.ie/d.aspx?i=186949 = €589
    http://www.expansys.ie/d.aspx?i=187746 = € 700

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭smegheadz

Can anyone update me on what the story is with this now?

Also can some one explain this:
    http://www.expansys.ie/d.aspx?i=186949 = €589
    http://www.expansys.ie/d.aspx?i=187746 = € 700

the cheaper one has just QWERTY while the more expensive one has UK QWERTY

my guess is that the cheap one is eastern europe qwerty model.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭boc121

smegheadz wrote: »
    my guess is that the cheap one is eastern europe qwerty model.

Sorry but what does that mean:confused:

Sorry but what does that mean:confused:

See this post bellow for info.

Anyone throw any light on this question posted on expansys:

"What kind of QWERTY is it? UK QWERTY or IT QWERTY?" note the different arrows layout in the bottom right - I would imaging having dedicated arrow keys like the first picture would be better? Which version is the Expansys one ye all have?

UK QWERTY:

57927774.jpg

IT QWERTY:

98142901.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭smegheadz

god's toy wrote: »
    See this post bellow for info.

that was actualy QWERTZ not QWERTY.

the box or firmware details will tell you where it is from. under the battery is usually where model details are kept. and now with *#06# and *#0000# working with the new firmware you can probably see there too.

Advertisement