Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia N900

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Any ideas on my question about using the N900 on airplanes?

Also, got an email from Expansys looking for a utility bill because the delivery address is not my credit card billing address - but all I could send them was a utility bill for my credit card billing address - will this be enough or will they insist on something to prove I have a connection with delivery address? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Any ideas on my question about using the N900 on airplanes?

Just put it into airplane mode, no different to any other phone.

Hi Tom,

Thanks, it's just that some airlines don't let you use mobiles even in flight mode so I was wondering would they treat the N900 as a phone or a mini computer! (I'm travelling with Etihad Airways to Australia next week so want to know can I use my N900 on it !:D)

Hi Tom,

Thanks, it's just that some airlines don't let you use mobiles even in flight mode so I was wondering would they treat the N900 as a phone or a mini computer! (I'm travelling with Etihad Airways to Australia next week so want to know can I use my N900 on it !:D)

In my experiences, it is usually down to the mood of the staff on the day. I've been on Aer Lingus where you were allowed use phones in flight mode, and told on the return journey that you were not.

I flew Etihad last year on my way down here they didn't have any problems with using phones/mp3 players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 schemiedave

matrim wrote: »
    For anyone that's interested I'm currently working on a simple webtext application similar to cabbage for the N900. I've most of the basic UI done and am doing the backend http stuff at the moment, with plans to support all the Irish operators and the cabbage web scripts.

The plan is to have a beta for the middle of the month, so hopefully I should be able to post it a couple of days after I get my device

Hi Matrim,

Any luck with your app? Was thinking about getting the N900 and using a Cabbage type app would be very useful for me!

Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

Hi Matrim,

Any luck with your app? Was thinking about getting the N900 and using a Cabbage type app would be very useful for me!

Thanks!

he already has it up. go to app manager, its called webtexter works great!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Four of a kind

Thor wrote: »

I've unlimited texts messege bundle with o2 experience plus...can i use this app for sending texts from my desktop?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

+1 for WebTexter. Works great!

Thor wrote: »

Really? I'll be showing Dave my N900 tomorrow, so I'd let to get that app installed. What repository is it in?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Really? I'll be showing Dave my N900 tomorrow, so I'd let to get that app installed. What repository is it in?

It's in extras-testing now, I've to get enough votes to get it to extras.

For anyone that uses it, I'll should be promoting v0.7.4 to testing tomorrow. It only has a minor change for a provider called exetel from v0.7.3, so I wouldn't expect it to change anything for anyone here. Also you no longer have to re-enter you settings after an upgrade.

Once this is uploaded can anyone that is using it and happy vote for it on the testing page. You can find it on the list here, http://maemo.org/packages/repository/list/fremantle_extras-testing_free_armel/

• Advertisement

I've unlimited texts messege bundle with o2 experience plus...can i use this app for sending texts from my desktop?

I don't have a desktop version. For sending web texts from the desktop you can use Cabbage desktop version. Texts from these use your 300 free webtexts and don't count towards the text bundle.

I think if you go over the 300 webtexts you start getting charged normal sms rates.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

o2sms should work from the terminal.

I don't have a desktop version. For sending web texts from the desktop you can use Cabbage desktop version. Texts from these use your 300 free webtexts and don't count towards the text bundle.

I think if you go over the 300 webtexts you start getting charged normal sms rates.

So what exactly is the webtexter for the N900? im new to all this mobile stuff so would like to know as much as possible? :D

So what exactly is the webtexter for the N900? im new to all this mobile stuff so would like to know as much as possible? :D

It lets you use the free web texts from 02 (and other providers) directly from your n900 without having to go through the process of logging into the website

Goddamn Expansys :mad: Won't deliver anywhere except my credit card billing address so now I'm gonna have to take a day off to be at home when it is delivered by courier...

(sent them a utility bill for my credit card address and hoped that would prove I was me and let me deliver it to another address but no go...)

It's in extras-testing now, I've to get enough votes to get it to extras.

Hi Matrim - your texter is probably the only thing I will have time to install before I go on hols to Australia next Monday - (I hope to get the N900 this Wednesday or Thursday) - is there any dummies step by step guide to installing it - as I won't have much time before travelling to get used to the phone..Thanks in advance.

ps what is difference between Fremantle Extras-devel free i386 webtexter 0.7.4 and Fremantle Extras-devel free armel webtexter 0.7.4?

Goddamn Expansys :mad: Won't deliver anywhere except my credit card billing address so now I'm gonna have to take a day off to be at home when it is delivered by courier...

(sent them a utility bill for my credit card address and hoped that would prove I was me and let me deliver it to another address but no go...)

Hi Matrim - your texter is probably the only thing I will have time to install before I go on hols to Australia next Monday - (I hope to get the N900 this Wednesday or Thursday) - is there any dummies step by step guide to installing it - as I won't have much time before travelling to get used to the phone..Thanks in advance.
    If you read the wiki page (http://wiki.maemo.org/Extras-testing) It explains about extras-testing including how to activate it. Just make sure to read and understand the warnings on the page.

Once it's installed it will show up in the more menu. When you start it there's a wizard to configure the settings which are pretty self explanatory.
    ps what is difference between Fremantle Extras-devel free i386 webtexter 0.7.4 and Fremantle Extras-devel free armel webtexter 0.7.4?

The i386 version is what is what can be run in the emulator. The armel version is to run on the device

• Registered Users Posts: 3,705 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Has anyone installed Real Player? Was trying to look at Rte news online tried installing but no joy?

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭smegheadz

Can someone with the MIDDLE EAST EU keyboard and UK QWERTY keyboard post a pic of their keyboard on their n900. So far nobody has been able to tell me if there is a difference in the keyboard or on the phone software itself

Has anyone installed Real Player? Was trying to look at Rte news online tried installing but no joy?

I have the same problem. Can't watch rte live on n900 :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

smegheadz wrote: »
    Can someone with the MIDDLE EAST EU keyboard and UK QWERTY keyboard post a pic of their keyboard on their n900. So far nobody has been able to tell me if there is a difference in the keyboard or on the phone software itself

Mine's 'Made in Korea' and it was the cheaper of the two from Expansys UK. It's QWERTY with the UK arrow keypad as standard (on your desktop/laptop keyboard).

I would have sent it back if it was qwertz/muddled up arrow keys.

• Advertisement

funkyflea wrote: »
    Mine's 'Made in Korea' and it was the cheaper of the two from Expansys UK. It's QWERTY with the UK arrow keypad as standard (on your desktop/laptop keyboard).

I would have sent it back if it was qwertz/muddled up arrow keys.

On your box does it have MIDDLE EAST EU on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

I'll check as soon as I get home from work, I never noticed anything like that on it so far anyway but I didn't really look at the box too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭goldwing

mine is the same as funkyflea's and it does'nt have "MIDDLE EAST EU" on the box

Can someone with the MIDDLE EAST EU keyboard and UK QWERTY keyboard post a pic of their keyboard on their n900. So far nobody has been able to tell me if there is a difference in the keyboard or on the phone software itiself

I bought mine in the Middle East and it has a full qwerty keyboard. In fact from what I read, I don't think there is such a thing as a Middle East keyboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

From what I read they are all 'Made in Korea'
    info from Maemo.org

• Registered Users Posts: 34 roryj

Mine has middle east/ Eu on the box, is made in korea and has the 4 arrow buttons in the btm rhs , functions as it should and is a/ok in all respects.
    Only difference i can see is that it came with a 2 pin charger and adapter.

Surely there must be some other difference in the 2 different models available on expansey.

The Mfr Part# RX51 BLK UK as on the expansey site for the €584.99 model is the same as the model no under the battery on mine.
    Would love to know what the extra €100+ is for .
    (Warranty ??)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

From what I know the charger is the only difference in the mid east and uk, with some people having issues with the charger adaptor, no difference apart from that.

Come on Fonezonline, I want oneeeee.

TomTom wrote: »
    From what I know the charger is the only difference in the mid east and uk, with some people having issues with the charger adaptor, no difference apart from that.

Come on Fonezonline, I want oneeeee.
    Have you tried phonesonline.ie? they take laser which is good. i'm waiting on them to change the "coming soon" grrr

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭goldwing

Have you tried phonesonline.ie? they take laser which is good. i'm waiting on them to change the "coming soon" grrr

they still have the "coming soon" up that sucks I'm glad I did'nt decide to wait for them to get it in stock, why don't you just order from expansys it only takes a day and it's a little bit cheaper

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

First there is a cock up with my wages so I cannot buy one on expansys as it will not be here before friday, now fonezonline are out of stock, I am heading to london on friday and the main nokia store says they have lots of them, who wants to bet they are sold out when I get there.

Advertisement