Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia N900

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

TomTom wrote: »
    First there is a cock up with my wages so I cannot buy one on expansys as it will not be here before friday, now fonezonline are out of stock, I am heading to london on friday and the main nokia store says they have lots of them, who wants to bet they are sold out when I get there.

I hope not as I am considering buying one there on Saturday myself :D

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Loggie

Anyone considered buying from Dell.com in USA and using myusabox.com to ship here like some did with the Nexus One? Its $529 at the moment with a discount which is same price as Nexus One.
    Would there be any issues with using it on Irish networks?

You don't even need to buy a Irish three pin charger if you don't want to.

Main problem I see might be warranty though.

Any thoughts please?

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭goldwing

Loggie wrote: »
    Anyone considered buying from Dell.com in USA and using myusabox.com to ship here like some did with the Nexus One? Its $529 at the moment with a discount which is same price as Nexus One.
    Would there be any issues with using it on Irish networks?

You don't even need to buy a Irish three pin charger if you don't want to.

Main problem I see might be warranty though.

Any thoughts please?

warranty would be only covered by nokia usa, but what about 3g frequencies and that type of thing are they not slightly different to here?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Loving this gadget even more every day. :)

I gave the GPS a whirl on the way to work (ok, on the way, and back, and to the shops, and....) and I am amazed at how accurate it is. Very usable, especially here in Bahrain where accurate maps aren't too plentiful (like Ireland, lots and lots of new roads). Looking up addresses and creating routes is incredibly easy. Friends/co-workers who have purchased stand-alone GPS units here have complained how inaccurate and out of date they are. Not so on the N900.

FM Transmitter - really good not having wires all over the car. Generally good quality, except when I pass the Ministry for Communications.

Web browser - of all the mobile devices I have tried, without question, the best. Fast, responsive and renders pages accurately. The swirl-to-zoom is a tad silly, though, with pages wobbling all over the place before the zoom starts.

The unified messaging is the business. A tip for anyone out there - get the Pidgin plug-in for Communications and IM. With this, you can enter all manner of IM accounts, in addition to a person's phone number and e-mail. Also, Hermes. It takes your contact details (specifically photos) from Facebook and associates them with your contacts. Very handy.

No doubt, there are still a few rough edges. I can't, for example, check my balance on my pre-pay account (uses *122# - says the number is not supported). Lack of MMS for me is a non-issue, but I know it riles some people. Also, I was surprised to see there was no support for VPN.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

I'm pretty sure there is a vpn client for cisco and openvpn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    I gave the GPS a whirl on the way to work (ok, on the way, and back, and to the shops, and....) and I am amazed at how accurate it is.

Hi Tom, did you use data when using GPS or just the integrated receiver on its own? Thanks.

Hi Tom, did you use data when using GPS or just the integrated receiver on its own? Thanks.

The GPS requires a data connection to download the maps as it goes along. I don't think it uses data for getting a lock (A-GPS? I think), only for downloading.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭lunacyfoundme

uses *122# - says the number is not supported

Someone said that was going to be corrected in the latest firmware update but obviously it wasnt.

The GPS requires a data connection to download the maps as it goes along. I don't think it uses data for getting a lock (A-GPS? I think), only for downloading.

ahh ok thanks. I presume I could pre-load maps of the country I am visiting to avoid using data abroad?

edit: Or Google Maps would be even better?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I was surprised to see there was no support for VPN.

Really, I would have thought that vpn software is pretty rare on mobile devices. I know the stuff I use is even cranky about 64 bit and the like

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Web browser - of all the mobile devices I have tried, without question, the best. Fast, responsive and renders pages accurately. The swirl-to-zoom is a tad silly, though, with pages wobbling all over the place before the zoom starts.

Tom, have you ever owned an iPhone?

I've asked this question a few times on thread, and I've heard a lot of people say this is the best browser they've ever used on a mobile device, but for all I know, these people may have been using a Nokia 3210 all their lives. Can you compare the browser to Safari on the iPhone, or more specifically, the iPhone 3Gs? Speed/rendering/ease of use etc.. thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

ahh ok thanks. I presume I could pre-load maps of the country I am visiting to avoid using data abroad?
    edit: Or Google Maps would be even better?

Haven't got this device (yet) but have been using nokia maps/ovi maps for a couple of years now.

It only connects if you set it to connect, and then it only connects if the area you are scrolling to hasn't been downloaded already.

I use it in completely standalone mode, by downloading the maps of where I am going to before hand using PCSuite. I presume this is similar to how it works for the n900.

Googlemaps on the other hand is completely online as far as I'm aware, it connects and loads the map information where you are just like using it on your computer.

I don't think it is possible yet.
    Bambi wrote: »
    Really, I would have thought that vpn software is pretty rare on mobile devices. I know the stuff I use is even cranky about 64 bit and the like

Well, it all depends on what you use it for. I've used it on Windows Mobile for various things, plus the iPhone for streaming UK based video, I was going to use the N900 for the same thing.
    Stee wrote: »
    Tom, have you ever owned an iPhone?

Um, I got the iPhone/Apple Media Devices forum set up. :D So yes, I have used an iPhone. However, it was only the 1st Gen iPhone (hence why I needed a new phone). It's probably not a fair comparison to compare the 1st Gen to the N900, but the former was very slow when rendering the full version of any website.
    nereid wrote: »
    Haven't got this device (yet) but have been using nokia maps/ovi maps for a couple of years now.

It only connects if you set it to connect, and then it only connects if the area you are scrolling to hasn't been downloaded already.

I use it in completely standalone mode, by downloading the maps of where I am going to before hand using PCSuite. I presume this is similar to how it works for the n900.

See above, it doesn't seem to be supported yet (granted, I've only had the phone since Saturday, so can't be 100%).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Anyone got any idea when this is due on Vodafone?? Im getting fed up of my buggy N97 and have a upgrade ready for me whenever I want :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

Another handy feature with the contacts/messenging integration is when using Hermes to sync contacts with Facebook etc, it automatically adds their birthdays to your calendar and sets reminders!

HANDY!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

What company or method are people using to insure their n900 if at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭mwrf

you can load the maps on to avoid downloading them as you go, someone took them out of the cache it builds and put them up for download, i'll dig out the link there.

Bambi wrote: »

i've used cisco vpn with it a few times now, there's an openvpn client and a cisco client in extras-devel

stebishop wrote: »
    you can load the maps on to avoid downloading them as you go, someone took them out of the cache it builds and put them up for download, i'll dig out the link there.

here we go:
    http://handphone-solution.blogspot.com/2009/07/direct-download-for-ovi-maps-30-without.html

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭smegheadz

For anyone who is wondering how the browser compares to the iphone or nexus one.

It is the best browser on any handheld mobile device.

iphone 1st gen and 3rd gen have the same browser as it's only the hardware that changes so the browser is a mobile browser with flash lite and render's pages with mobile view.

the browser on the n900 is a desktop browser based on firefox rendering engine so it can render a webpage as it was intended with full flash 9.4 support.

edit: (forgot the nexus one)
    nexus one is basicly the motorola droid with no qwerty keyboard. if you wait for the EU release you get multi touch capacitive screen instead of the US non multi touch screen. browser is the same as in previous android versions/phones. it just has a more flashy look to the menu's. i'd still pic the motorola droid over the nexus one because it's a better phone. take away the hype of it being google phone and it's probably just a little on par with the droid but it has a new version of andriod. out of the 3 phones i'd go for the n900 because of the speed of the OS, the ability of developers to get more out of the hardware for apps. the web browser and intergrated IM/SMS services. a resistive screen makes alot of difference with the browser since you don't have to zoom in and out all the time to click links like in a capacitive.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

smegheadz wrote: »
    For anyone who is wondering how the browser compares to the iphone or nexus one.

It is the best browser on any handheld mobile device.

iphone 1st gen and 3rd gen have the same browser as it's only the hardware that changes so the browser is a mobile browser with flash lite and render's pages with mobile view.

the browser on the n900 is a desktop browser based on firefox rendering engine so it can render a webpage as it was intended with full flash 9.4 support.

edit: (forgot the nexus one)
    nexus one is basicly the motorola droid with no qwerty keyboard. if you wait for the EU release you get multi touch capacitive screen instead of the US non multi touch screen. browser is the same as in previous android versions/phones. it just has a more flashy look to the menu's. i'd still pic the motorola droid over the nexus one because it's a better phone. take away the hype of it being google phone and it's probably just a little on par with the droid but it has a new version of andriod. out of the 3 phones i'd go for the n900 because of the speed of the OS, the ability of developers to get more out of the hardware for apps. the web browser and intergrated IM/SMS services. a resistive screen makes alot of difference with the browser since you don't have to zoom in and out all the time to click links like in a capacitive.

Thanks for that. The built in android browser in rubbish in my opinion, no where near as usable as the iPhone browser, same goes for the dolphin browser available on the android market. I love the idea of browsing at a higher res on the N900, but was worried the interface would be clunky and awkward. Having seen some video of web browsing it seems nippy enough and user friendly. I also love the look of fennec, and pulling the screen to either side to reveal toolbars.

smegheadz wrote: »
    if you wait for the EU release you get multi touch capacitive screen instead of the US non multi touch screen.
    What will happen to those in the UK that can buy the Nexus One through google? How will they get multi-touch if it is released in EU?

Ok, probably first of many questions now that I have my new N900 :D

Trying to access my home network (wpa encryption) and the N900 seems to want a pin or wifi protected setup by pressing "a button" - all i want to do is enter my wpa key? anyone please? :confused:

Edit - found how through settings! Back to playing with new toy!!

yeah the browser is pretty fast and responsive. Other android winmo phones may have faster processers but it's the OS that slows everything down. Thats why they can't multi task or only have limited multi tasking. so even if you have over 10 apps open the browser will be just as responsive, you may find flash slow down a little on some sites.
    fennec is still Beta and has some lag issues still but it is looking interesting.

Can I ask where you guys got your devices from? Wrecking my head between n900 and nexus. The chunky size of the n900 is troubling me most without being able to try before i buy. How do you guys feel about it and pocketablilty etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

The nexus was over hyped imo. The n900 seems to be far exceeding peoples expectations, and by the looks of things it far out performs the competition, despite the nexus having better specs on paper.

Loggie wrote: »
    What will happen to those in the UK that can buy the Nexus One through google? How will they get multi-touch if it is released in EU?
    As far as i'm aware the UK phone will have multi touch but i can't be sure. i still don't think it's a good deal. iphone is better device. the touch screen isn't as good as the iphones capacitive screen. but imo the n900 is better then both because of what it can do now without needing to download an app, and what it will be able to do in the future with Qt development.
    Ok, probably first of many questions now that I have my new N900 :D

Trying to access my home network (wpa encryption) and the N900 seems to want a pin or wifi protected setup by pressing "a button" - all i want to do is enter my wpa key? anyone please? :confused:
    You need to do it manualy instead of automatic. only new routers have that push button setup. there's a thread on talk.maemo.org about that (can't find it now, in work)

lads, apologies if this has already been asked, but my N900 only offered to update the 20mb firmware (44.1 or something) - how do i get the latest big update over the air?

thanks

edit Duh, really sorry - found it by going into application manager. Will have to have PATIENCE!

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭lunacyfoundme

Didi you do the small update first. I updated mine when both were available and it only listed the small update first. When I updated it only then did it list the second update.

• Advertisement

Didi you do the small update first. I updated mine when both were available and it only listed the small update first. When I updated it only then did it list the second update.

That's what I did lunacy yeah - then found the second update. Does this mean if you skip any future firmwares you have to go back and do each little update?

Advertisement