Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia N900

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭smegheadz

That's what I did lunacy yeah - then found the second update. Does this mean if you skip any future firmwares you have to go back and do each little update?
    the first update was a requirement to be able to get the second update over the air as the second update made changes to certain parts of the firmware that were only able to be updated via NSU which is flashing your device rather then updating it.
    But future updates may not be dependant on each other but most likely they will related to each other in some way. TIP once you update to the latest firmware you shouldn't revert back as come cellular changes are permanent and not compatible with previous firmware versions.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    I don't think it is possible yet.

See above, it doesn't seem to be supported yet (granted, I've only had the phone since Saturday, so can't be 100%).

Yeah, googled a bit there now and found a couple of pieces of info on this. I really like the way ovi maps works on my current phone and I don't think I'd be up for the mad roaming data bill that a bit of travelling would rack up.

On the plus side, this is a perfect excuse for me to delay my purchasing of said item ... until this is "sorted" anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Not directly related but has anyone insured their N900:cool:

As its one of the most expensive things I own anyone insured theirs and let me know costs etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭mconigol

hey, anyone know is there any phone shops selling this sim free in dublin or carlow by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,831 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

It's not really anywhere in bricks and mortar shops - fonezonline.com had it somewhere south of dublin for collection if I recall - search this thread. I got it on Expansys was very quick though.

I got an official Nokia 3 pin UK adaptor for the N900 in the bag (as well as the USA charger in the box) - which was handy enough.

As its one of the most expensive things I own anyone insured theirs and let me know costs etc

thought occured to me also - funny thing is I wasn't half as paranoid with the N95 2 years ago - and that also cost me €599 sim free!

God I love this phone even though I have barely scratched the surface! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Loggie

You could put it on house insurance if you have it. I did with a HTC cruise but can't remember what cost if any.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Loggie wrote: »
    You could put it on house insurance if you have it. I did with a HTC cruise but can't remember what cost if any.

Probably costs nothing but the excess might be something like €300 so you wouldn't get much back.

aveitall wrote: »
    can anyone advise to where is the best place to get the N900, cheapest too, in ireland

As was said not available here yet only online.

Handtec.co.uk £462 inc uk vat
    superetrader.co.uk £499 inc uk vat
    clove.co.uk £499 inc uk vat
    dell.com $599
    expansys £490 inc uk vat

• Registered Users Posts: 34 roryj

mwrf wrote: »

Will these maps work on an maemo device. They're all symbian versions???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

Lads I really want to do this

Changing the boot video.. where the hell is user/share folder? Do I have to do all this typing commands into xterm? Sounds pretty tedious.. I'm still new to maemo and used to windows /dos..

edit: figuring it out kinda :P

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

Ahhhhh, I want mine....

TomTom wrote: »
    Ahhhhh, I want mine....

Me too!! Think its decision time...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

funkyflea wrote: »
    Lads I really want to do this

Changing the boot video.. where the hell is user/share folder? Do I have to do all this typing commands into xterm? Sounds pretty tedious.. I'm still new to maemo and used to windows /dos..

Actually I was thinking about this, to get full functionality of the device are people having to drop back to the terminal all the time? I'm not really interested in features that are going to have me running commands all the time to configure them.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

I have decided to get one.. just playing the waiting game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Loggie wrote: »
    Me too!! Think its decision time...

Jesus ive never been so on the fence! Head says wait and see it in the flesh when vodafone get it, then buy it simfree. My nerdy nerdy heart says buy it now.

Im so confused!!

confused.jpg

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Bambi wrote: »
    Actually I was thinking about this, to get full functionality of the device are people having to drop back to the terminal all the time? I'm not really interested in features that are going to have me running commands all the time to configure them.

Define "full functionality". I don't think that changing the boot video of a device has anything to do with it's functionality....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 bfree

roryj wrote: »
    Yes they work fine, I slapped in the Irish ones myself.
    bambi wrote:
    I'm not really interested in features that are going to have me running commands all the time to configure them.
    They should remove the ability to run command line applications, not just from Maemo but from OSX, Linux and Windows. Anything that doesn't have a gui written for it is worthless to everybody.

Unsarcasticly, the N900 is an open portable computer. There is no such thing as "full functionality", the possibilities are endless. You can use it as shipped, you can pick functions you want to add from the application manager, you can write whatever you want, you can install an alternative OS and/or you can tweak things from the command line. You decide. If you want to ignore the terminal go right ahead, just don't be disappointed when some esoteric feature you want is never packaged.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭corglass

quick question guys, hope someone can help.

I've a freind going to NY next week hoping to get an N900. Anyone any suggestions on a bricks and motar shop that would have it simfree and at a good price?

Thanks

Stee wrote: »
    Jesus ive never been so on the fence! Head says wait and see it in the flesh when vodafone get it, then buy it simfree. My nerdy nerdy heart says buy it now.
    it's gonna be pretty locked down on vodafone, and the price won't drop much by then on simfree models.
    bfree wrote: »
    They should remove the ability to run command line applications, not just from Maemo but from OSX, Linux and Windows. Anything that doesn't have a gui written for it is worthless to everybody.
    i don't agree there. command line will always play a part because it's such a powerfull feature. windows 7 has a very advanced scripting language for sys admins.
    i often resort to command line when doing things. command line is quicker then developing an app to do the command for you and running it. since i don't know how to develop an app using win32 lib's and often like myself others need fast non memory intensive gui's
    corglass wrote: »
    quick question guys, hope someone can help.

I've a freind going to NY next week hoping to get an N900. Anyone any suggestions on a bricks and motar shop that would have it simfree and at a good price?
    nokia flagship shop is the only place unless he orders from an online retailer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

smegheadz wrote: »
    it's gonna be pretty locked down on vodafone, and the price won't drop much by then on simfree models.

Id be willing to pay current prices but really wanna have a play with one before buying. It will without a doubt be sim free though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

In the consumer market (and kid yourself not the N900 is in the phone market) anything that doesn't have a damn fine gui is worthless. I'd imagine Nokia know this.
    Unsarcasticly, the N900 is an open portable computer. There is no such thing as "full functionality", the possibilities are endless. You can use it as shipped, you can pick functions you want to add from the application manager, you can write whatever you want, you can install an alternative OS and/or you can tweak things from the command line. You decide. If you want to ignore the terminal go right ahead, just don't be disappointed when some esoteric feature you want is never packaged.

I don't mind using terminals when I'm working, do it all the time, I'm just not a linux fanboi so I'll be buying this is spite of it's OS rather than because of it, I'm hoping that it's step up in terms of usability than other linux implementations that I've seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

I pretty much only use the terminal for ssh and development \ testing.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

In the consumer market (and kid yourself not the N900 is in the phone market) anything that doesn't have a damn fine gui is worthless. I'd imagine Nokia know this.

I don't mind using terminals when I'm working, do it all the time, I'm just not a linux fanboi so I'll be buying this is spite of it's OS rather than because of it, I'm hoping that it's step up in terms of usability than other linux implementations that I've seen.

linux implimentations? Android and OSX on the iPhone are very usable. Ok, OSX is unix based, but they're fairly closely related.

Well if you mean my post specifically, I found a way using a file manager with a GUI and text editor. But for other things I need to use the terminal.

I think the way it works is for things like changing system files etc, you really only can do it using the terminal - until someone creates a front end for the application/applet for the control panel etc.

So things come in time. For me, I don't mind getting to know the commands etc because I'm new to linux and most people buying this particular handset already know what they're getting themselves into.

My next step is changing the LED notification bulb colours.

wooohoooo my sister in derry can order it for me :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
    "you have included 43 images in your message. You are limited to using 15 images so please go back and correct the problem and then continue again. Images include use of smilies" <<that sucks

Go on lads just get it already.. :)

The new boot video looks brilliant!! I finally managed it.. just copying/pasting/editing in xterm - a lot easier than I thought it'd be.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭mwrf

roryj wrote: »

The datafiles look the same so I don't see why not, I'll test this afternoon.

mwrf wrote: »
    The datafiles look the same so I don't see why not, I'll test this afternoon.

I just loaded the maps from Ireland on, And they work fine with no data connection. So you don't need to have data to use the Maps application.

Here's the link for offline maps again :
    http://handphone-solution.blogspot.com/2009/07/direct-download-for-ovi-maps-30-without.html

I'm downloading Maps for the everywhere world!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 harryw

Load mplayer (a video player) and kmplayer (a GUI for it and others).

Then you can play RTE asx and smil feeds - just extract the url from the link on the web page.

I think the asx runs a bit smoother but both stutter a bit (maybe data connection related).

Has anyone installed Real Player? Was trying to look at Rte news online tried installing but no joy?

Advertisement