Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia N900

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Loggie

aveitall wrote: »
    just ordered mine off www.fonezonline.com, cant wait to get it now.
    was stuck between the nexus one and the n900, but th reviews seem much better for the nokia n900!!

Never used fonezonline before what are they like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭vote4pedro

Does anyone know how quidco's cashback thing works?
    On Cheaptweets there was a post mentioning this which suggests 20% Quidco cashback is compatible with a 10% Nokia January sale discount, which would bump the price down to £350. However I've never used QuidCo before, and don't know at what stage the cashback applies and how it works? If true it's a very good price!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

mwrf wrote: »
    I'm downloading Maps for the everywhere world!

Excellent, thanks for trying that out.

I was thinking about this, and while it would require you having a second phone (ie a symbian one) then you could use it to "manage" the maps and copy the resulting files to the n900?

... and there goes my last technical "excuse" for waiting.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

nereid wrote: »
    I was thinking about this, and while it would require you having a second phone (ie a symbian one) then you could use it to "manage" the maps and copy the resulting files to the n900?

Hi Nereid - could you expand on this please i.e. managing the maps? do you mean taking relevant (to you) sections of countries to reduce the amount of storage needed? And how do you use a symbian phone (I still have an N95 as well as my N900!) to do these things? Sorry for ignorance :D

And could someone briefly go through the download procedures on the http://handphone-solution.blogspot.com/2009/07/direct-download-for-ovi-maps-30-without.html link - i.e which version to download etc ? Why can't we download maps from Nokia directly?

Stee wrote: »
    Jesus ive never been so on the fence! Head says wait and see it in the flesh when vodafone get it, then buy it simfree. My nerdy nerdy heart says buy it now.

Im so confused!!

I'll say it again. I love the N900. For those waiting to "get their hands" on one and try it before buying - don't bother - buy it now and feel the feeling!
    (Only proviso - it is NOT a slim phone and is quite heavy - doesn't bother me though - at least I know it's still in my pocket!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 bfree

And could someone briefly go through the download procedures on the http://handphone-solution.blogspot.com/2009/07/direct-download-for-ovi-maps-30-without.html link - i.e which version to download etc ?
    You only need to download the maps themselves for the N900 and can ignore the different software versions and things on the blogspot page. You might be able to use Nokia's map updater if you run Windows (though it sounds like it might be fussy about what versions of windows it really works with).
    http://www.nokia.co.uk/apps-and-services/ovi-maps/downloads-and-services

Or on Maemo.org there's a quick walk through of doing it manually from the zips.
    http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p=428531&postcount=20

I just downloaded the zip for Ireland from the blogspot url, extracted the contents and copied it all across to the diskcache folder on the N900 with it attached in Mass Storage Mode.

• Advertisement

Ok thanks. So what maps are on the N900 as delivered - does Ovi Maps 1.01 refer to software or an earlier version of the maps? (Some blogger said that Ovi 1.01 maps on the N900 were better then Ove maps 3.0 for N97 as the version only meant "on that device")...

• Registered Users Posts: 34 roryj

I just downloaded the zip for Ireland from the blogspot url, extracted the contents and copied it all across to the diskcache folder on the N900 with it attached in Mass Storage Mode.[/quote]

LOL that is a seriously concise statement, . Wish me luck . this is the second night trying to load maps. Cannot get map loader to work even in xp mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭gearoidol

ok i need some help if possible.

Im using and n97 currently. actually my 3rd one. First one gps was rubbish,as was the coverage so i sold it off on envirofone.Second one gps perfect, coverage perfect until i dropped in the sink by accident and it died,got a new one through insurance. Current one again has major coverage issues going from full bars to none in the same spot on 2g.
    im basically sick of the n97 and need to find a new fone.
    i require a phone with good coverage ,gps,touchscreen,pop mail auto checking,exchange support,podcasting,wifi and would be nice if it had full flash support.i usually spend about 4hrs a day on the phone for work.
    Is their any niggles using the n900 primarily as a phone
    Any recommendations......

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

gearoidol wrote: »
    ok i need some help if possible.

Im using and n97 currently. actually my 3rd one. First one gps was rubbish,as was the coverage so i sold it off on envirofone.Second one gps perfect, coverage perfect until i dropped in the sink by accident and it died,got a new one through insurance. Current one again has major coverage issues going from full bars to none in the same spot on 2g.
    im basically sick of the n97 and need to find a new fone.
    i require a phone with good coverage ,gps,touchscreen,pop mail auto checking,exchange support,podcasting,wifi and would be nice if it had full flash support.i usually spend about 4hrs a day on the phone for work.
    Is their any niggles using the n900 primarily as a phone
    Any recommendations......

You're in an N900 thread....

matrim wrote: »
    If you read the wiki page (http://wiki.maemo.org/Extras-testing) It explains about extras-testing including how to activate it. Just make sure to read and understand the warnings on the page.

Once it's installed it will show up in the more menu. When you start it there's a wizard to configure the settings which are pretty self explanatory.

Hi Matrim, I've installed webtexter and am very happy with it thanks a mill for your work :D

2 quick questions - I can't seem to figure out how to add it as a shortcut to my N900 desktop (probably cos I'm new to the phone!) and the other is does webtexter tell you how many messages you have left?

Thanks again!

edit - figured out question 1 !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Hi Matrim, I've installed webtexter and am very happy with it thanks a mill for your work :D

2 quick questions - I can't seem to figure out how to add it as a shortcut to my N900 desktop (probably cos I'm new to the phone!) and the other is does webtexter tell you how many messages you have left?

Thanks again!

edit - figured out question 1 !!

It doesn't give you the number of messages you have left.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭mwrf

Hi Matrim,
    Where can I get the source of WebTexter? Is it python?
    Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Hi Nereid - could you expand on this please i.e. managing the maps? do you mean taking relevant (to you) sections of countries to reduce the amount of storage needed? And how do you use a symbian phone (I still have an N95 as well as my N900!) to do these things? Sorry for ignorance :D

Ok,

At the moment I have a N82 with ovi Maps 3.whatever. This syncs with the pc suite/map loader nicely to manage the maps on the device - i.e. if there are updates to the m50, or I go on holiday to Italy etc. I can add and remove these as I please, so as to "conserve" space on the removable memory card.

My question was, could I potentially sync maps as normal with my N82, and copy the "current" maps from my memory card to the n900 - thereby negating the need to download the relevant map from that blogspot link. I have no problem doing that, just that if I go through ovi map loader, I am "guaranteed" to have the latest maps.

I don't know if mwrf has another nokia with maps to try this out on though, but someone else might.

L.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

Heading off to collect my n900 shortly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

TomTom wrote: »

Good stuff!

Hope you enjoy it as much as I have.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Just ordered mine from the Vodafone Ireland website so hopefully I'll have it Tuesday. It was €309 on my current package.

where you getting yours?
    hoping to get mine tonite too?

mwrf wrote: »
    Hi Matrim,
    Where can I get the source of WebTexter? Is it python?
    Thanks!

It's written in C. the svn repo can be got to at http://webtexter.garage.maemo.org

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭ChrisMcCauley

LoGiE wrote: »
    Just ordered mine from the Vodafone Ireland website so hopefully I'll have it Tuesday. It was €309 on my current package.

Just spotted this, logged on and bought one too! Had been waiting for a decent Android or the new Apple 4g but who knows when either will reach Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Bought mine yesterday in the Nokia Store on Regents Street. I am extremely extremely impressed so far. This is the most impressed I have been with a device for a long long time.

• Advertisement

Just picked up the n900. It IS gorgeous. Screen is brilliant. It's not as thick as I was thinking but I'm coming from a HTC touch cruise which is not much thinner so I'm thrilled. Updating at the moment so I can use my 3 sim. It's christmas again!!!!

If you start using webtexter I'll expect a free pint next time I see you :D

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,944 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

LoGiE wrote: »

Cheers for that, was in a voda shop the other day and they didn't know when it would be out.
    Nearly bought it sim free!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 FestivalFox

I just ordered mine from vodafone. They gave me no discount on upgrade, Bastards!!! I've been wating forever for this phone. I almost bought the H1 on tuesday!!

Angry birds is a laugh...what a device!!!!!!!!

Do vodafone lock down the phone?

matrim wrote: »
    Do vodafone lock down the phone?

Not according to Paul on the Vodafone forum
    " firmware on the phone is Nokias own, we have not installed branded Vodafone s/w onto the N900 "

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭donkey balls

anyone know wether it will be released on 3 im not due an upgrade till around june and knowing 3 they might only release it around that time

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

Loggie wrote: »
    Not according to Paul on the Vodafone forum
    " firmware on the phone is Nokias own, we have not installed branded Vodafone s/w onto the N900 "

can you link to that mate?

Just want to have a good read up before i commit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭smegheadz

my sister in derry has ordered mine :D express delivery from nokia online. i should should have it next week :D

i doubt vodafone would sell the phone unlocked but i could be wrong. i know in the uk they locked it down with their own and stuck their 360 on it.

Advertisement