Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia N900

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38 wmMagner

dRNk SAnTA wrote: »
    I'm dead excited for this phone but I have a couple of worries I hope someone can help with.

Since it uses Maemo, there aren't going to be many apps for it. Since S60 doesn't even have an official facebook app yet, and from the looks of things the android app store sucks still, what are the chances of maemo getting these things quickly. Surely it will be a couple of years and a few more nokia maemo handsets before apps really get going?

What are the odds that this phone will get picked up by an irish network?

From the video posted above, it doesn't look like the N900 handles youtube well at all, shouldn't we really expect better from a big tablet phone like this?

It shouldn't take that long for apps to appear.maemo is used a lot by developers so i'm sure they'll making apps as well as porting some from linux(witch has thousands all ready)

Nokia said they didn't want any network provider modifying the software or adding their own.so if they get into a huff about it they probably won't want to sell it

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭manster

Went into the Nokia flagship store in NY last week and asked about the N900. Lady behind the counter opened a box and handed me a working prototype. First impressions were that the apps were very fast to load and the GUI was pretty intuitive. Didn't like the keypad as there were no grooves between buttons so you need to be spot on and hit the middle of the button when typing. Asked when it would be available in store - was told Oct/Nov though she wasn't sure. What was interesting was that they were taking names for pre-orders - stuck down my name and email address. Never know might know someone in NY at the time. There were about 30 names before mine...so if you are planning to be in NY in Oct/Nov suggest giving them a call and put down your name - wont cost anything!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Did you check out any flash heavy sites and see how they worked on it. This is one area where I hope it performs.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

dRNk SAnTA wrote: »
    Since it uses Maemo, there aren't going to be many apps for it. Since S60 doesn't even have an official facebook app yet, and from the looks of things the android app store sucks still, what are the chances of maemo getting these things quickly. Surely it will be a couple of years and a few more nokia maemo handsets before apps really get going?
    Facebook for Nokia:confused:

And where do you get the idea the Android market sucks?Ive been using it for months now and it has pretty much everything

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

Also bear in mind that with the browsing capabilities of this phone, it shouldn't need a dedicated app for a lot of web-based services, it'll just be able to use the regular site.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭dRNk SAnTA

Facebook for Nokia:confused:

And where do you get the idea the Android market sucks?Ive been using it for months now and it has pretty much everything

That Facebook app is only for S60 Touch, theres none available for my phone E51.

My comment on the android market was probably a bit harsh, I haven't used it myself but was basing it an article I read recently.

Anyway, to illustrate my point - first android facebook app came out only a week ago so who knows how long these things could be with maemo?
    Breezer wrote:
    Also bear in mind that with the browsing capabilities of this phone, it shouldn't need a dedicated app for a lot of web-based services, it'll just be able to use the regular site.

I hope so!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Dankoozy

Facebook is so ****ing terrible I'd actually buy a phone because there is no Facebook app for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭lunacyfoundme

I was waiting for the N97 to come down a bit in price to replace my trusty N95. although having seen android recently I was hoping for my 'prettier' os than S60. Looks like now I can have the best of both worlds. And given that the OS is linux I think there'll be a slew of 'real' apps a month or two after launch, not just widgets that you get tired off after a while. Sure its expensive but so was my N95 when I bought it and I got great use out of it. Cant even remember how long it is since it launched. Besides I can always earn money money, that's what separates us from the animals. Christmas comes early this year....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

rumor has it that this might be out earlier then the oct 19th release date.

going to pre order it next week with expansys uk.

works out at just over 600 for it.

anyone else pre-ordered it already.

also have read that alot of apps from the n810 work on the n900 perfectly and the ones that don't because they that have repository's/libraries for it.

really getting excited for this!!!!!

Thor wrote: »
    rumor has it that this might be out earlier then the oct 19th release date.

going to pre order it next week with expansys uk.

works out at just over 600 for it.

anyone else pre-ordered it already.

also have read that alot of apps from the n810 work on the n900 perfectly and the ones that don't because they that have repository's/libraries for it.

really getting excited for this!!!!!

My mate in Germany just ordered it for me. Not sure how much but thankfully I will be getting it tax free too. Cant wait!!

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Does anyone want to give me some free money??

has anyone else noticed that expansys due date keeps changing between the 22nd and 23rd.

wonder what is going on.

anyway i pre ordered it the other day, got it for 552 euro including delivery. they charged me uk vat so that is why it was cheaper.

im not complaning, anyone else pre order it with expansys and get it for the same price.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

has anyone else noticed that expansys due date keeps changing between the 22nd and 23rd.

wonder what is going on.

anyway i pre ordered it the other day, got it for 552 euro including delivery. they charged me uk vat so that is why it was cheaper.

im not complaning, anyone else pre order it with expansys and get it for the same price.
    529.64 GBP(573.6EUR) for me, but I used a £15 voucher. I got charged 21.5% vat though, only noticied that now.

i used the £15 voucher myself, the uk price comes to 515 minus the voucher its 500 which at the time was 552 euro.

odd how they didnt charge me the irish vat.
    it might have been because im billing address was GB and delivery address was ireland.

some people have them both as ireland.

weird but im not complaning.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭kerno

Do you know what networks are taking it.. ?

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭PH4T

Is this going to become the new flagship N serices device or will it still be the N97?

n97 was a sham of a device. the software was way to buggy, i know all phones are when first released but that was so bad that i sold mine already(also because i was getting the n900)

i'd say this is definitely going to be a big phone in the eyes of n97 users as it pretty much is everything i taught the n97 would be.

i dont think any networks will pick up the n900 soon. maybe just before christmas but because its not so much a phone and more a tablet with phone abilites, networks will be skeptic on getting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

its not so much a phone and more a tablet with phone abilites, networks will be skeptic on getting it.

Simple things like no T9 texting will go against it

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭PH4T

n97 was a sham of a device. the software was way to buggy, i know all phones are when first released but that was so bad that i sold mine already(also because i was getting the n900)

i'd say this is definitely going to be a big phone in the eyes of n97 users as it pretty much is everything i taught the n97 would be.

i dont think any networks will pick up the n900 soon. maybe just before christmas but because its not so much a phone and more a tablet with phone abilites, networks will be skeptic on getting it.

I am a N97 owner. Um so you have no phone at the moment?

• Advertisement

no i bought a n95 to tie me over until i gett the n900. N95 WAS ONE OF THE BEST PHONES EVER.

I have a prepay n95 on vodafone at the minute. If I get an n900 from expansys is it going to be as simple as just swapping the simcard into the n900 and itll just work from there?

I have a prepay n95 on vodafone at the minute. If I get an n900 from expansys is it going to be as simple as just swapping the simcard into the n900 and itll just work from there?

indeed:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

PH4T wrote: »
    Is this going to become the new flagship N serices device or will it still be the N97?

Doubt it,

I read that Nokia was surprised with all the N900 interest from consumers.

It's a phone of a different class.

Just preordered off Expansys.co.uk. Ended up £545 which is about €598. No voucher and Irish VAT. Still cheaper than Expansys.ie which is €620 plus €14 delivery. Had to send proof of connection to workplace to them though.

Anyone know sites with games for maemo. Im particulary looking for snes emulators.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

• Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

Jim wrote: »

Awesome! Thanks a lot!

BTW, click on "Screen Orientation" part and then read below, looks like N920 will be a hardware keyboard-less version.

Please, please, please, Nokia, no hardware keyboard(thin), 8MP and capacitive multi touch, PLEASE!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Jim wrote: »
    And incase you dont want to read that book of a review, engadget took out the main parts:pac:
    • There's apparently an N920 in the works that lacks a QWERTY keyboard. We've heard rumors in the past that the N900 will remain Nokia's sole Maemo 5 phone for at least a few months, so we might look to see this in 2010.
    • Process management invokes a curiously webOS-like card view which looks great. Helps when you have a beefy OMAP3 in there, doesn't it?
    • The call log effortlessly aggregates GSM and VoIP calls -- a neat trick, and a tip of the hat to Maemo's roots as a VoIP-friendly platform.
    • MMS isn't supported, strangely, though the platform's SMS support handles both threaded and traditional views.
    • While chatting up Maemo's calendar services, Eldar specifically says that he "Palm's WebOS-powered organizer much more enticing and promising." Lack of Google Calendar synchronization sucks, but we're not sure what that's all about -- Maemo does support Exchange ActiveSync, after all.
    • Eldar his the nail on the head regarding Maemo's Mozilla-based browser: it's always been good, just way too slow. The N900 cures those ails on better hardware, though "it hasn't caught up with the rest of the pack yet." Flash support seems wonky and performance isn't always great -- it depends on how many apps are running.
    • The music player is pretty bare-bones (typical Nokia), though anyone happy with the N97's sound quality will feel right at home here -- it's the same hardware.
    • The integrated Maps app apparently lags way behind the bar that Ovi Maps has set over on S60 -- super slow and "resource-hungry."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

I quite like the look of the interface in those pictures on that review!

• Advertisement

Just preordered off Expansys.co.uk. Ended up £545 which is about €598. No voucher and Irish VAT. Still cheaper than Expansys.ie which is €620 plus €14 delivery. Had to send proof of connection to workplace to them though.

Anyone know sites with games for maemo. Im particulary looking for snes emulators.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/09/30/video-snes-runs-beautifully-on-n900-makes-out-hearts-flutter/

Advertisement