Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia N900

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Loggie

can you link to that mate?

Just want to have a good read up before i commit.

he sent it in a pm to me and a few others expressing an interest in it

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055743300

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

From what I remember about Vodafone is they tend to let the first batch go without any firmware modding.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭mwrf

stellarium is working on the n900! :)
    http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=40834

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭nazoil

smegheadz wrote: »
    my sister in derry has ordered mine :D express delivery from nokia online. i should should have it next week :D

i doubt vodafone would sell the phone unlocked but i could be wrong. i know in the uk they locked it down with their own and stuck their 360 on it.

If you haven't done so, you should use this I don't know how it was calculated but I got a 10% discount at checkout plus £59.88 cash back

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭smegheadz

nazoil wrote: »
    If you haven't done so, you should use this I don't know how it was calculated but I got a 10% discount at checkout plus £59.88 cash back

my sister is using a different site because she trusts it more. topcashback i think it's called. i gave her a 10% discount nokia code and there's 10% cashback with the site too. and she has a business so i think she can claim the vat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭mwrf

mwrf wrote: »
    stellarium is working on the n900! :)
    http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=40834

screenshot2010012313125.th.png

this is amazing!

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭rushnaldo

I can get it from vodafone online for 330 euro upgrade but im a bit put off by the size of the n900. How big is it in your jeans pocket, dont want to look a tool out on a Saturday night with a Bord Na Mona peat brickette in my pocket? Cheers for all the info

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Four of a kind

Have gotten 48 hours straight battery life since I updated to the last firmware!! Before this I was struggling to get the 24 hour mark.

This 48 hours included alot of texts(100+) a few calls, alot of general surfing (no downloads). I also turn off wifi(obv) when not using it. And I changed from dual mode to just 2.5 mode...which I think helps alot when not on 3G.

just thought i'd like ye guys know. Very happy with the huge increase in battery life. :D:D:D:D

rushnaldo wrote: »
    I can get it from vodafone online for 330 euro upgrade but im a bit put off by the size of the n900. How big is it in your jeans pocket, dont want to look a tool out on a Saturday night with a Bord Na Mona peat brickette in my pocket? Cheers for all the info

it's like the n95 in size, bit wider.shudn't a big bulge in ur pocket impress the ladies though :P

• Registered Users Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

rushnaldo wrote: »

I was the same before i got the N900......I was worried it would be massive and would be HUGE in pants pocket. Pleasantly surprised when I got it that it was nowhere near as big as I had feared. Now it is thicker than most phones but is still fits nicely in the pocket without bulging out :p. You must remember too that it isn't a phone really, but more like a mini laptop with a phone app loaded onto it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,705 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Got the Zagg cover and it worked a treat. No issues with browsing etc well worth it to prevent scratches etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭tw0nk

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

That is extremely bloody impressive. Seems to be quite responsive also!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Lads, I have CCTV that broadcasts over the net and used a program called EagleEyes on the N95 to remote view the cameras - the program is a Jar file that automatically installed on the N95.

Anything similar that would work on the N900? Or is there a way of making the files work on the N900 - files at link below?

Thanks

http://www.lakson.com.sg/cpcam/

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭manster

Has anyone confirmed that if bought from Vodafone.
    1. This device is bought already unlocked
    2. Nokia firmware upgrades will be taken from Nokia and not Vodafone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭PADRAIC.M

yeah well I got the same pm loggie got from paul and he said no lock down vodafone software, will know for sure tuesday when mine arrives, I have been waiting for this since day one, have probably checked this thread 5 or 6 times a day since page one! Can't wait to get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

If bought unlocked what network offers the best monthly tariff in your opinion? €30 - 50 a month region.

I'm heading out to look for it today/tomorrow and If I don't see a decent tarrif (esp data) and if Vodafone sell it un modified I will just buy it off them.

I've never had a bill phone before and my current phone is an extremely low end nokia that cost €30 3 years ago...
    This is a biiiiig step up.

Also does anyone know what type of proof of residence etc Vodafone are going to want? Unfortunately I don't have any bills...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

If bought unlocked what network offers the best monthly tariff in your opinion? €30 - 50 a month region.

I'm heading out to look for it today/tomorrow and If I don't see a decent tarrif (esp data) and if Vodafone sell it un modified I will just buy it off them.

I've never had a bill phone before and my current phone is an extremely low end nokia that cost €30 3 years ago...

Also does anyone know what type of proof of residence etc Vodafone are going to want? Unfortunately I don't have any bills...

The N900 is only available from there online store. From past experience I've needed a bank statement with my address and my passport to sign up in a vodafone store. Not sure exactly how it works online but obviously they will have your credit card details and do a backround check of some kind.

The other option is to buy it from the Nokia store making it more expensive. Someone mentioned €500? Then add your phone package on top of that.

they may accept a bank statement. usually with proof of address it has to be something recent, at least in the last 3 months. but i'm not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭candlegrease

can you run this thing on prepay? Or is it like the hero and will you need a package?

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,944 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

For a new bill they will ask for Photo ID and Proof of address.
    If it's your first contract they may also ask for a deposit

Also the Vodafone stores currently do not have the N900 and dont know when they will recieve it.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,944 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Well I'm not a happy camper :mad:
    Went to order the N900 last night but couldn't cause their systems were down.
    Went to order it now and it's only on backorder - so not sure when I'll get it now :mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

damn.
    How am I going to give photo id over the internet?

Also I'm going to have to use my father's credit card. only have a laser.
    I wish the shops had it in.

Collected mine from Gabriel of http://www.fonezonline.com/sim-free-nokia/67-n900.html on friday night.
    Didn't want to be tied into a 18 month contract with vodafone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

can you run this thing on prepay? Or is it like the hero and will you need a package?

you dont need a bill pay product for the hero. meteor recommend you use a data bundle cos if you dont and go online you will be out a few hundred euro

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

matrim wrote: »
    If you start using webtexter I'll expect a free pint next time I see you :D

No worries Tom

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

Loggie wrote: »
    Collected mine from Gabriel of http://www.fonezonline.com/sim-free-nokia/67-n900.html on friday night.
    Didn't want to be tied into a 18 month contract with vodafone.

As did I, my wife things I'm mad, driving over in that crazy fog and I was heading to London just a few hours later.

TomTom wrote: »
    As did I, my wife things I'm mad, driving over in that crazy fog and I was heading to London just a few hours later.
    My wife thought the very same. All she wants in a phone is red button green button and txt.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

I think Herself Indoors is of the same opinion...
    http://wallpaper.blogs.ie/2010/01/24/the-nokia-n900/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭candlegrease

samhail wrote: »
    you dont need a bill pay product for the hero. meteor recommend you use a data bundle cos if you dont and go online you will be out a few hundred euro

Ok, but will I need to use bill pay to not be out a few hundred euro with the n900?

Advertisement