Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia N900

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Firefox has been updated.

Two updates waiting but version number still shows 1.0.

So far feels a little faster and has not crashed like the old one did... I'm posting from it now.
    Also looks to have a spell check as typos are marked but i'm unable to find more right now... still need to play with it.

if your wondering, i just went into the app manager and did an update and there they where.

TomTom wrote: »
    Anyone think its time for a seperate N900 App and Tips/Tricks thread?
    This one seems to be more about getting one.

Yep I agree, hell I think Nokia should have it's own forum on boards but maybe that's just me.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭jessconr

TomTom wrote: »
    Anyone think its time for a seperate N900 App and Tips/Tricks thread?
    This one seems to be more about getting one.
    yep i agree also. this topic is getting pretty full

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

So has anyone used grsync for syncing media to the device? Am I right in thinking that you could do this over a wifi network?

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭smegheadz

i do agree, there needs to be a nokia section. Too many threads. easy to lose the relavent info.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭RobbieM

Thor wrote: »
    I CAN'T STOP PLAYING IT!!! ITS KILLING ME!!!!
    8 more stars to go. 9 12 13 14 17 19 20 21 Torture....

did someone say they had got them all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭PabloIndentes

got one from Vodafone.
    Switched from the O2 locked iphone 3g.

the camera is amazing on the n900.

Opensource, happy days.

Have installed a few apps and am still messing with it :)

Anybody any ideas how to get contacts from iphone to N900?
    not too worried bout music / media as thats on the pc.

thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭RobbieM

has anyone tried VNC yet... just got it working.
    install x11vnc, open terminal, root, x11vnc
    I then used my IP widget to know my IP and just VNC'd into my n900.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭mwrf

i find the vnc server pretty slow really, so slow it's unusable. i hope it improves in future releases.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

RobbieM wrote: »
    8 more stars to go. 9 12 13 14 17 19 20 21 Torture....

did someone say they had got them all?

have three stars in all of them myself!!!

yeah i think we need a new thread for tips and tricks and information on upcoming applications and stuff like that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭Jicked

Yeah I'm also all for a tips, tricks and app recommendation thread. I'll leave it for someone who actually has their hands on a n900 to set in motion though!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I have my phone just under two weeks now, and I'm loving it.

If I am really honest, I am loving it for all the wrong reasons - I'm probably loving it for things I could not do with my 1st Generation iPhone, so it's possibly not the best comparison to make.

Anyway, I've been using the GPS quite a bit, while streaming music to the car stereo. Taking calls while this is all going on has proven to be quite seamless - as you would expect, the music resumes after the call completes. I've also streamed Today FM from the net to a set of Bluetooth speakers (pretty damn impressive, I might add).

And finally, while the phone was in a windshield mount, I made a call via the speakerphone (i.e. handsfree) and the sound was actually quite good, considering. It switched back to GPS after the call ended.

So from a phone, connectivity perspective, it's doing a pretty damn good job. I'm off to do a bit of sight-seeing now (about time I got to see this island :o), so I'm going to give the GPS and camera a proper test drive.

More anon.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

I've just released my second app into extras-devel last night.

It's a simple call log application to show a view of all calls made and received rather than the grouped list that is in the standard phone application.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

god's toy wrote: »
    Please keep us updated on that.
    I sometimes get an ip error on connect too... but i know its my router. (Belkin)

Had to reset the router and get a new Ip address and its working ok now can log onto net.Just cannot ftp onto my site from PC but thats a different forum:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭mwrf

matrim wrote: »
    I've just released my second app into extras-devel last night.

It's a simple call log application to show a view of all calls made and received rather than the grouped list that is in the standard phone application.

Great, i've started writing a hildon front end to tucan download manager.
    http://cusl3-tucan.forja.rediris.es/
    Progressing slowly!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

got mine yesterday. loving it. few problems with the email and downloading apps, but i'll see how it goes.

posted from bed on nokia n900 ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Theres a nice three part review here, must be a few hours worth. Nice two see guys who are objective on the pro's and con's. the summation video is quite good and the finnish guy makes a point that the boast of linux=open and windows=closed is the opposite for the average person, most people can do far more in a windows type environment than linux, which imo is spot on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4LE_QNhEXA&feature=related

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

Bambi wrote: »
    Theres a nice three part review here, must be a few hours worth. Nice two see guys who are objective on the pro's and con's. the summation video is quite good and the finnish guy makes a point that the boast of linux=open and windows=closed is the opposite for the average person, most people can do far more in a windows type environment than linux, which imo is spot on.

wow - nice review thanks.
    wasnt very impressed with him within the first 5min... see that hole there... i dont know what that does... nope dont know that hole either anyone else know ?

No MMS yet ? not that i use mms all that often

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Johnny Bitte

samhail wrote: »
    No MMS yet ? not that i use mms all that often

will this be fixed do ya think, pretty silly thing to leave out.

Looking for one as cheap as possible. Ebay looks like the best place

There's a third party application in development to add MMS support.

It looks like Nokia aren't going to add it natively themselves but will support the dev of the third party application to add it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭mraie

got my N900 during the week, first impressions are great, still configurating and adding programs, missing garmin on my N97 but I am sure similar will be available soon. Giving me the same buzz as the N95 8 gb when i got it, I am surprised and impressed everytime i use it.

Anyone get blueface SIP working on it?

The blueface settings I use are

Address: username@sip.blueface.ie

Advanced Settings
    Use for telephone numbers: Selected
    Username: username
    Transport: UDP
    Outbound proxy: blank
    Loose Routing: selected

Everything else can be the default

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

Re MMS, i use fapn to set up the mms AP and fmms to send/receive picture messages and it works, it's not ideal but it works most of the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 wishihadalife

Does anyone know the cheapest way to use this phone data plan wise?

I want to get this and mostly use it for internet and less as a phone , mostly over wifi at home however I also want to get a data plan so I can use it while out and about and it seems alot of the widgets would rely on near constant net connection anyway.

I have found that vodafone's data offering outside of contract is something like 500mb for 10eur a mth , or you can get one of their data plan contracts for 35eur a mth for 2gb (no txts or calls included) , is 2 gb a mth enough for this phone?

I guess I am wondering whether the fact that the browser pretty much downloads as a normal webpage whether this means your data usage with this phone would be sky high?

Can anyone share there experiences data wise with the phone?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭mraie

matrim wrote: »
    The blueface settings I use are

Address: username@sip.blueface.ie

Advanced Settings
    Use for telephone numbers: Selected
    Username: username
    Transport: UDP
    Outbound proxy: blank
    Loose Routing: selected

Everything else can be the default

thanks for that, erased and re-enter information, sorted. Worked first time, have put in a outbound proxy.

Bambi wrote: »

Good vid indeed! :) I found it to be very fair to Maemo, Windows and Linux over all. Must be the longest video I've ever seen on youtube.

I only wish this vid was seen by those huge tech sites in the US who don't really understand this Maemo device and for that reason slate it and promote much lesser 'phones only' devices as being better.

Guys if your thinking of getting a N900 device you really should give up an hour of your time and view this (IMO) unbiased review. I think they cover everything you would want to know out of the box.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Finally ordered this phone! Can't wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 46 The_Jabberwock

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭boc121

Has anyone bought this phone from ebay and if so where?
    Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭J_Dublin15

might be buying one themselves if O2 don't pull their finger out and offer something decent to their existing customers.

Hoping they will come out with the HTC HD2 or N900 in the next few weeks or I'm out of there.

Advertisement