Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia N900

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭boc121

Me too sick of this waiting bull:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭J_Dublin15

I will just pay my contract off, with the couple of months I have remaining and go to Vodafone, I want to stay with O2 but they don't half make it difficult at times unless your an Apple fanboy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Finally ordered this phone! Can't wait!

Where did you order it from in the end? Still on the fence myself, worried about battery life and the fact that if the battery drains to zero, the phone wont charge unless you use an external charger. Hopefully a firmware update will fix this. But damn, the browser looks bloody great!!

I expect a full written report when you take delivery!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

boc121 wrote: »
    Has anyone bought this phone from ebay and if so where?
    Cheers.

Yep I used Ebay for my 900. Get hit for €102 import charge but as it was delivered from hong kong to Ireland in 4 days and it was a few days before Xmas so I didn't mind paying it.

The ebayer was I-choose: http://myworld.ebay.ie/i-choose/

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Stee wrote: »
    Where did you order it from in the end? Still on the fence myself, worried about battery life and the fact that if the battery drains to zero, the phone wont charge unless you use an external charger. Hopefully a firmware update will fix this. But damn, the browser looks bloody great!!

I expect a full written report when you take delivery!!!

I ordered off phonesonline.ie. Can't wait! And yes i'll give a full write up when i get a hold of it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

I ordered off phonesonline.ie. Can't wait! And yes i'll give a full write up when i get a hold of it.

Cheers, be interested to hear of your experience with phonesonline too, very nearly ordered it today with them.

Stee wrote: »
    Cheers, be interested to hear of your experience with phonesonline too, very nearly ordered it today with them.

Yeah i was going to go with fonezonline but i wasn't too impressed with when they said there would be a 2 week + delay on getting a vat invoice. Here's hoping it'll go well, i want it now god damn it! It'll be Wednesday me thinks though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bluefrog

Hey folks,

Can anyone who has bought the phone from Vodafone confirm that there is no port blocking nonsense going on. Has anyone tried SIP, ftp or anything else which doesn't run on port 80 or 443 over the 3G network for example?

Thinking of jumping ship from 3 for the phone (out of contract so I could) but will buy it SIM free if the Vodafone network is hobbled.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

I'm using the n900 I bought with vodafone and can confirm the phones unbranded and has no problems using VoIP/BT/FTP with the isp.vodafone.ie APN. It's also using HSDPA so speeds are excellent with 3mbps+ speeds most of the time. (I'm in Dublin btw)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,705 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Anyone having issues with volume on phone calls.Recently received a few and the volume on phone is at full level but I cant hear callers voice very faint something i am missing as was not always like this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭16hill16

I nearly have this working with Vodafone but keep getting
    Error: -3 Temporary failure in name resolution,Please make sure your APN settings are correct
    when I attempt to send a mms

Does anybody have the correct settings for Vodafones apn ,
    Is mms.vodafone.net correct ?
    so far i have;
    access point name = mms.vodafone.net
    username & password = dublin
    use proxy selected & set http to 010.024.059.200 port 80
    i have auto retrieve Ip & dns also.

I can establish a connection with these settings but fMMS kicks out error 3 as above , sounds like a dns issue ?
    anyways has anyone got fMMS to work with vodafone.ie ? is so
    what settings did you use ?
    any help much appreciated
    BTW a big YES to a n900 Hints & tricks thread , over 1600 posts to this one !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

having 2 big problems with this so far.

firstly, i cant connect to vodafone's isp for the internet etc.
    secondly i can't download apps, the download bar appears and either nothing happens or it hangs at 10 or so percent.

anyone have similar problems?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

16hill16 wrote: »
    I nearly have this working with Vodafone but keep getting
    Error: -3 Temporary failure in name resolution,Please make sure your APN settings are correct
    when I attempt to send a mms

Does anybody have the correct settings for Vodafones apn ,
    Is mms.vodafone.net correct ?
    so far i have;
    access point name = mms.vodafone.net
    username & password = dublin
    use proxy selected & set http to 010.024.059.200 port 80
    i have auto retrieve Ip & dns also.

I can establish a connection with these settings but fMMS kicks out error 3 as above , sounds like a dns issue ?
    anyways has anyone got fMMS to work with vodafone.ie ? is so
    what settings did you use ?
    any help much appreciated
    BTW a big YES to a n900 Hints & tricks thread , over 1600 posts to this one !

I haven't tested on vodafone but your proxy is wrong it should probably be

Full settings should probably be

* Connection Name: VF MMS
    * Connection Type: Packet Data
    * Access Point Name: mms.vodafone.net
    * User Name: dublin
    * Password: dublin
    * Prompt password at every login: Unchecked
    * Use Proxy: checked (yes)
    * HTTP Proxy: 10.24.59.200
    * Port Number: 80
    * MMSC: http://www.vodafone.ie/mms
    * Resize image: 300
    * Phone Number: (Your Phone Number)

I've just stuck those into the fMMS wiki page at http://wiki.maemo.org/MMS#Ireland
    If they work can you remove the part saying they are untested.

For anyone looking for fMMS settings for other providers they should be there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭O2_Daryll

J_Dublin15 wrote: »
    might be buying one themselves if O2 don't pull their finger out and offer something decent to their existing customers.

Hoping they will come out with the HTC HD2 or N900 in the next few weeks or I'm out of there.
    We will have both handsets this month.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭16hill16

Cheers Matrim
    Your settings work a treat !
    I have modified the Maemo wiki also
    Many Thanks !

Vodafone Ireland

* Connection Name: VF MMS
    * Connection Type: Packet Data
    * Access Point Name: mms.vodafone.net
    * User Name: dublin
    * Password: dublin
    * Prompt password at every login: Unchecked
    * Use Proxy: checked (yes)
    * HTTP Proxy: 10.24.59.200
    * Port Number: 80
    * MMSC: http://www.vodafone.ie/mms
    * Resize image: 300
    * Phone Number: (Your Phone Number)

These vodafone settings have been verified as working.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Johnny Bitte

god's toy wrote: »
    Yep I used Ebay for my 900. Get hit for €102 import charge but as it was delivered from hong kong to Ireland in 4 days and it was a few days before Xmas so I didn't mind paying it.

The ebayer was I-choose: http://myworld.ebay.ie/i-choose/

Hey,a
    Any idea if I buy from withing the EU would I still have to pay import charge?

Would buying the US version result in any problems?

Hey,a

There are no extra charges on goods bought within the EU. However America and the likes would mean that you have to pay about 25% of the cost including delivery. That's 21.5%VAT and a customs charge.

My N900 has shipped, it'll be here tomorrow!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Hey,a

If bought from a company in the eu the no import duty will be charged. An american one will be subject to import duty and you may have problems with the warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 bernik12

i've been looking to get n900 recently but want to see one in the flesh before buying to check out the size of it. I was told by carphone warehouse yesterday that both o2 & vodafone wont have them in store until march! Darragh, can you expand on your above comment please? Early, mid or end of Feb?

My N900 has shipped, it'll be here tomorrow!

Waiting patiently :eek:

• Advertisement

Waiting patiently :eek:

Anything but patient! Trying to figure out what lectures i can miss today!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Interesting development.

Any idea on how "network locked" or "o2 customised" the n900 will be?

This question is related to how the vodafone one is supposedly not either of these.

I am still wary of the 18 month contracts in either case, but it would be good to know.

Thanks for any info.

nereid wrote: »
    I am still wary of the 18 month contracts in either case, but it would be good to know.

+1 18 months is over the top

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭corglass

Apologies for jumping in mid thread conversation----

But now that I'm here, anyone know of a good place to insure an N900, mine is coming from the US so I'll need a company that deals with third party phones.

Oh and I don't have house insurance.

Thanks

It's here!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

It's here!

Welcome on board.

Could I let you into a secret? I actually like the keyboard. :o

Yes, after all that. I find I am typing much quicker than with a virtual keyboard.

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Welcome on board.
    Cheers Tom!
    Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Could I let you into a secret? I actually like the keyboard. :o

Yes, after all that. I find I am typing much quicker than with a virtual keyboard.

It's going to take some getting used to, it's all very weird at the minute.

I'll post back later with a "First Impressions" Post, still getting updates and the likes.

Congrats
    So Phonesonline ok then euro model and all that??

Congrats
    So Phonesonline ok then euro model and all that??
    Its the uk version as far as i can tell. The box has "uk ctv" written on the side of it. I have to say, so far im really impressed, updated the firmware straight away without any issues. The first thing i noticed when i took the phone out of the box was the weight of it, i was expecting it to be heavy, but not as heavy as it is.
    The OS is truely awesome, really cant get over just how well it multitasks and how smooth it is. There really was only a very small learning curve involved, probably because ive watched every n900 video on youtube!
    Ive been watching the battery disappear throughout the afternoon, its flying down, but i have spent all day using it, so with normal use i'd say it's fine.
    The camera is also very impressive, it's the best i've seen on a phone in a while.

All in all, im really impressed, its surpassd my expectations, and theres still so much i haven't even tried so far!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

corglass wrote: »
    Apologies for jumping in mid thread conversation----

But now that I'm here, anyone know of a good place to insure an N900, mine is coming from the US so I'll need a company that deals with third party phones.

Oh and I don't have house insurance.

Thanks

Just insured mine www.phonesonline.ie.

Advertisement