Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia N900

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭foobar

Besides from flash how does the N900 browsing experience compare to the iphone? Does the greater resolution help at all or is every thing rendered really small?

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭jessconr

foobar wrote: »
    Besides from flash how does the N900 browsing experience compare to the iphone? Does the greater resolution help at all or is every thing rendered really small?

I've never bothered buying an iphone because of the lack of flash so I can't really compare. But its definitely the best phone browsing I've ever experienced by a country mile. The resolution is perfect. I've had no problems reading content on max resolution....besides its very easy to zoom in an out also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

So after about a month of "himming and hawwing" I just placed my order with phonesonline.

After a very frustrating morning with my ever-annoying HTC hero, I nearly smashed it off a wall in work. Went down to o2 grafton street earlier and they have a dummy N900. Couldnt believe the size (was expecting larger and much fatter, even after pics) and it seemed to fit nicely in the hand, even one handed.

I was holding back because of Maemo 6 and other soon to be released phones, etc, etc, but feck it, I change phones every 6 or so months anyway. Was very unsure about clicking submit, but now im very very excited :D

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Loggie

Stee wrote: »
    So after about a month of "himming and hawwing" I just placed my order with phonesonline.

After a very frustrating morning with my ever-annoying HTC hero, I nearly smashed it off a wall in work. Went down to o2 grafton street earlier and they have a dummy N900. Couldnt believe the size (was expecting larger and much fatter, even after pics) and it seemed to fit nicely in the hand, even one handed.

I was holding back because of Maemo 6 and other soon to be released phones, etc, etc, but feck it, I change phones every 6 or so months anyway. Was very unsure about clicking submit, but now im very very excited :D

you will not be disappointed..has to be the best device ever..

Loggie wrote: »
    you will not be disappointed..has to be the best device ever..

For 600 notes, it really has to be!! Looking forward to it now.

Ordered at 14.55, confirmation mail at 14.59, and dispatch mail at 15.19. Impressive. Also I read above that phonesonline's customer service wasn't great, but I mailed in a question before ordering and there were a few back and forth emails which were very prompt, and also a mail afterwards to say I had made it in before the 3pm deadline, which was nice of them to let me know. Thumbs up here, thus far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭candlegrease

For 600 notes, it really has to be!! Looking forward to it now.

Ordered at 14.55, confirmation mail at 14.59, and dispatch mail at 15.19. Impressive. Also I read above that phonesonline's customer service wasn't great, but I mailed in a question before ordering and there were a few back and forth emails which were very prompt, and also a mail afterwards to say I had made it in before the 3pm deadline, which was nice of them to let me know. Thumbs up here, thus far.

Let us know how you find it Stee :)

Don't know what other people think but I have used a screen protector with mine from day one. As soon as I got my n900 I put on the protector and never touched the screen without it. Tried the Zagg first but too rubbery now have a Vikuiti™ DQC-160 which i think is very good. Very clear and swiping is excellent, no friction. Hitting small links needs a nail or just zoom in, not sure if this is the case on the n900 without a screen protector. Using it for a few weeks now and would recommend it. Here's a link to others if anyone interested.

http://wiki.maemo.org/N900_Accessories#Screen_Protectors

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Loggie wrote: »
    Don't know what other people think but I have used a screen protector with mine from day one. As soon as I got my n900 I put on the protector and never touched the screen without it. Tried the Zagg first but too rubbery now have a Vikuiti™ DQC-160 which i think is very good. Very clear and swiping is excellent, no friction. Hitting small links needs a nail or just zoom in, not sure if this is the case on the n900 without a screen protector. Using it for a few weeks now and would recommend it. Here's a link to others if anyone interested.

http://wiki.maemo.org/N900_Accessories#Screen_Protectors

Haha, just by chance i ordered that exact one for €9~ on ebay, i had heard that the zagg wasn't the best. I decided i couldn't trust my clumsy self anymore and had to get something to protect the screen.
    I managed to drop my N900 on the kitchen tiles:mad::eek::mad:, nearly had a heart attack, it was from about 1.5 meters, thankfully there wasn't a mark on it. Phew!

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭boc121

Ordered at 14.55, confirmation mail at 14.59, and dispatch mail at 15.19.

When should you have it?

boc121 wrote: »
    When should you have it?

Tomorrow hopefully. It says on the site they can only deliver to your credit card address but I emailed beforehand from my work account and they're going to deliver to my office. There goes any sort of productivity for tomorrow at least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭boc121

Cheers, hope you enjoy it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

Ha I dropped mine on the concrete the other day. I wasn't worried like I normally am. This things a machine!

Btw, anyone managed to get facebook chat integration into IM's working yet? I can't see the option when I go to add im account.. i've installed it and everything, and rebooted.

funkyflea wrote: »
    Ha I dropped mine on the concrete the other day. I wasn't worried like I normally am. This things a machine!

Btw, anyone managed to get facebook chat integration into IM's working yet? I can't see the option when I go to add im account.. i've installed it and everything, and rebooted.

Hmmm was just wondering the same, what did you install? And what catalogue did you install it from?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

Hmmm was just wondering the same, what did you install? And what catalogue did you install it from?

I'm gonna head over to talk.maemo.org now and flick through the facebook integration thread.

I installed 'Extra protocol plugins for Conversations and Contacts 0.8'

Not sure which repo I got it from, think it was extras-testing.. maybe it only works with Pidgin, I have pidgin installed but not really interested in using it. Prefer the integrated IM..

Alanstrainor with an N900..still can't believe it. Ha.

funkyflea wrote: »

Alanstrainor with an N900..still can't believe it. Ha.

Hahaha, me neither, no buyers remorse either which is always a good sign!

Love it so far, it was worth it in the end. It's never easy to get me to part with that amount of cash on a phone.

I just wasn't thinking earlier, i have the facebook integration already working...i don't know what i was thinking...i went searching for that plugin in the extras devel and was wondering why i couldn't see it!

Haha, just by chance i ordered that exact one for €9~ on ebay, i had heard that the zagg wasn't the best. I decided i couldn't trust my clumsy self anymore and had to get something to protect the screen.
    I managed to drop my N900 on the kitchen tiles:mad::eek::mad:, nearly had a heart attack, it was from about 1.5 meters, thankfully there wasn't a mark on it. Phew!

I got a pack of 3 and made a mess installing the first one. Second one on with only two bubbles caused by two specs of dust near the edge (Ithink you need to be in a clean-room to fit any protector properly) not going to try and remove them as it will just undo a near perfect job. I will definately use these again.

Duffff-Man wrote: »
    Just checked the phonesonline website and it says its €589. I am selling them on ebay, sim free for €529 plus delivery if anyone gives a toss.
    http://cgi.ebay.ie/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=330403056252&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT

bugger

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Just checked the phonesonline website and it says its €589. I am selling them on ebay, sim free for €529 plus delivery if anyone gives a toss.
    http://cgi.ebay.ie/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=330403056252&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT

That's still bringing it to €550, there are others on ebay that would work out at around €500 from the uk. Still higher than what I would like to pay but it's damn tempting.

What's the story with warranty on those ones though? Is it originally an American N900?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Lads this ain't Adverts.ie :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

loving this N900 over in Australia using webtexter, browsing in wifi spots, and using data from local sims. What a device.
    Only problem so far is not being able to view my cctv of home as the stream is quicktime which doesn't seem to work..

made a 1cm scratch on my N900 screen by putting a pair of glasses in the same pocket as it. Did this on purpose as an anti-theft precaution so that it is unique to me. Not. Ahh well still looks great.

Ordered at 14.55, confirmation mail at 14.59, and dispatch mail at 15.19

And delivered at approx 11am. Not bad. Charging it at the moment, but wont get to use it properly until tonight, after I load up the new firmware.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

welcome to the club!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 seldone

first thing to arrive was the wrapsol screen protector 20$ fre postage.then my precious .been fiddling with the damb thing since last week( like a teen ager discovering his privates) .or was it last month .saw some great youtube videos on n900.updated meamo and set up skype .yahoomail ,face book.think a spare battery is needed.drove around looking for open access points ,,and there there.
    put out my hand and took the flesh of me little finger as i stumbled about outside in the dark last night trying not to drop it.my god what flashed before me eyes wasnt pretty.saw a vid about loose keyboard slider on youtube . I think I have the same problem .does any else notice it to be a little loose when open and closed.purhaps sliding open evenly with both hands is the way to go .I went looking for one of these over fifteen years ago and its finnally here.Its a sweet device alround.very robust and responsive.

And delivered at approx 11am. Not bad. Charging it at the moment, but wont get to use it properly until tonight, after I load up the new firmware.

Playing around with it between 12 and 2 today, had 5 reboots. Device becomes unresponsive, then reboots. It needs the 2 firmware updates though, so I'll see how it goes after that. Tried the first 18.5Mb update over edge (optimistic), got about half way and rebooted. Hopefully wifi will be quicker or Ill use the flasher. A bit pissed off, but hopefully it can be fixed. :(

Overall though, while the phone was actually working, it was flying along, no stutters at all

Playing around with it between 12 and 2 today, had 5 reboots. Device becomes unresponsive, then reboots. It needs the 2 firmware updates though, so I'll see how it goes after that. Tried the first 18.5Mb update over edge (optimistic), got about half way and rebooted. Hopefully wifi will be quicker or Ill use the flasher. A bit pissed off, but hopefully it can be fixed. :(

Overall though, while the phone was actually working, it was flying along, no stutters at all

Mine was the same before the update, been solid as a rock since

Mine was the same before the update, been solid as a rock since

And there I was, sitting frustrated at my work computer with a 20Mb broadband line, thinking I cant wait to get home and update to the firmware OTA with wifi :rolleyes:

Just installed NSU and the update is in progress. Will report back with results, fingers crossed!

I updated my n900 straight away when i got it, so i didn't experience any crashes, i had no issues updating either, managed to do it over wifi. I wonder what improvements the next update will bring?

• Advertisement

ok, updated direct to 51.1 no problem. Anything that caused boots before isnt causing it now, so far. BUT, now conversations are blank. I can see the preview of it in the 'conversations' window, but when i click through to where you have the actual conversation, its just black with the text box beneath. What a pain in the ass. Everything else seems fine!

Advertisement