Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia N900

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭smegheadz

if u have extras testing or devel apps installed u should get rid of them, get both firmware updates if u hadn't already. uninstall conversation effection apps like pidgin etc and reboot. if ya still have a problem search talk.meamo.org

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

smegheadz wrote: »
    if u have extras testing or devel apps installed u should get rid of them, get both firmware updates if u hadn't already. uninstall conversation effection apps like pidgin etc and reboot. if ya still have a problem search talk.meamo.org

Cheers, all done. Havent enabled the other repros, or installed any plugins. Ive been searching talk.maemo.org and the only issue is people with near full devices. Ill search some more and if all fails ill flash it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I have to say, the camera really is brilliant on this device, i haven't had a good camera phone in years...the best i had before this was the K800i. I took some snaps around town today, and they're really great. Vibrant colours, sharp focus. This phone just keeps on surprising me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

What is this like to type on? Do you guys find it easy?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Ok had this phone over two weeks and over all I'm impressed. There is still lots to do however.

It's great having a lot of apps but alot of them, take the radio application are far from perfect. (Doesn't stop when a call comes in)

The battery life can also be very frustrating so I hope to see either a more powerful battery or a lot of tweaks to at least get two days out of it with *normal use.

*3g always connected
    Skype Connected
    IM conected
    Some web browsing
    Radio
    Music
    20 texts +
    2hrs Phone +

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

LoGiE wrote: »
    Ok had this phone over two weeks and over all I'm impressed. There is still lots to do however.

It's great having a lot of apps but alot of them, take the radio application are far from perfect. (Doesn't stop when a call comes in)

The battery life can also be very frustrating so I hope to see either a more powerful battery or a lot of tweaks to at least get two days out of it with *normal use.

*3g always connected
    Skype Connected
    IM conected
    Some web browsing
    Radio
    Music
    20 texts +
    2hrs Phone +

Not a chance of getting 2 days with that usage (on any phone).

Ok so the converstions problem isnt sorted, after trying a lot of options.

Contacted phonesonline about returning it to nokia, and I must say the guy there is bending over backwards to accomodate me, agreeing to meet me after business hours to sort it out. They can do a straight swap for a new handset once I organise my faulty one to be sent/dropped out to them.

Cant recommend these guys enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Wow, thats good to know about the phonesonline guys, although it sucks that your n900 isn't quite right.
    You're asking a lot there loGIE, i really am impressed with the battery life, the way i look at it is, that it's more of a computer than a phone, so to get a full day with hours of web browsing, multiplt calls and texts and some messing about.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

*3g always connected
    Skype Connected
    IM conected
    Some web browsing
    Radio
    Music
    20 texts +
    2hrs Phone +
    yYep best of luck geting anything more than a day with that amount of background stuff going on.

Every 3g phone i've used never lasted more than a day and a half with only skype running never mind gtalk, yahoo,msn messenger that i can run now with the 900 device.

its hungry and they let it down by using a battery not fit for the task but thats what we've got now and have to live with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

Is Anyone else with an american version using the us firmware or the uk variant. i had the uk version on it for a good while and even updated to 51-1 with it OTA and it was perfect.

About a few days ago my n900 kept having Maemo5 update in the app manager update and the update was for 51-1.203 which i already had, it was 0kb in size and it also kept saying for my to update with NSU.

so i just reinstalled the firmware, Not that i had to but because i wanted a clean start. I knew this was going to put the us variant on the phone as i have no idea how/if you can change the product code on the n900 so it will only put uk variant.

Didnt really matter as i have 51-1.203 downloaded so i can always flash it myself with flasher3.5 on windows.

thing is there isnt really a difference so not sure if there is a point. Some people say there is with wifi channels and the 3g 1850mhz is on and europe doesnt use it.

Odd i have been getting better coverage with the us version(three network).

Anyway my question is does anybody else have the us version and do you think there is a point in changing it to the uk one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23 seldone

[

Anyway my question is does anybody else have the us version and do you think there is a point in changing it to the uk one.[/QUOTE]

yep got a US model meself.cant seem to edit contacts though .when I go to phone/select contact/only choices are phone(cellular )and call with skype .Im trying to organise my contacts to have the choice of cell /send message/ skype .And I cant even edit contact details.
    any ideas

seldone wrote: »
    yep got a US model meself.cant seem to edit contacts though .when I go to phone/select contact/only choices are phone(cellular )and call with skype .Im trying to organise my contacts to have the choice of cell /send message/ skype .And I cant even edit contact details.
    any ideas

go to menu, contacts(on the right).

click on a contact that you want to edit. then click the avatar picture(even if there isnt one. you can then edit the info there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭babypink

Thor wrote: »
    Anyway my question is does anybody else have the us version and do you think there is a point in changing it to the uk one.
    I'm on the US version and it works great. I've read that putting the UK firmware on a US device could lead to a bricking --- I'm not going to chance it.

I'm on 3 too and i've no complaints.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

I know it's an internet device and not a phone but I still think there are lots of improvements that could be made. I'm not suggesting I have everything open at once as I wouldn't even get a day out of it! Hopefully we'll see a 'business' battery become available and some firmware updates to further save power.

when I go to NETWORK/PHONE I have

DAILING PAD /SELECT CONTACT
    vertical
    recent call list
    tapping a contact
    gives
    SMS +#
    Tapping on Avatar gives CELL +# SMS +#
    PHONE+ SMS+
    CALL WITH SKYPE+#
    After that no edit??

• Registered Users Posts: 14 defoe18

lads ive been to the VF shop in Naas beside BOI and they are selling N900 on prepay for 499

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

I know it's an internet device and not a phone but I still think there are lots of improvements that could be made. I'm not suggesting I have everything open at once as I wouldn't even get a day out of it! Hopefully we'll see a 'business' battery become available and some firmware updates to further save power.

My last device was the Samsung i900 and when I first got it the battery life sucked big time, having to charge twice a day was no fun. Over the 12 months i had it new firmware updates sorted most of my probs and the battery lasted a full day even with me playing with it non stop. Lets hope Nokia can do the same.

seldone wrote: »
    when I go to NETWORK/PHONE I have

DAILING PAD /SELECT CONTACT
    vertical
    recent call list
    tapping a contact
    gives
    SMS +#
    Tapping on Avatar gives CELL +# SMS +#
    PHONE+ SMS+
    CALL WITH SKYPE+#
    After that no edit??

don't go to your call list. go to menu(top right icon) then contacts on the top right. then click on a contact.

going to contacts on the call list isnt the same and is just for contacting them and not for editing.

iTS IN OFFICE .I GOT IT

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭boc121

Is it easy to update n900's or do you have to change product code like on other phones locked to networks?
    Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭podge018

anybody know what sort of prices we're looking at in o2 when it's launched next week?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

defoe18 wrote: »
    lads ive been to the VF shop in Naas beside BOI and they are selling N900 on prepay for 499

Can anyone confirm this and does any one know if it's unlocked?

boc121 wrote: »
    Is it easy to update n900's or do you have to change product code like on other phones locked to networks?
    Cheers.

Very easy, just follow steps outlined on maemo.org
    podge018 wrote: »
    anybody know what sort of prices we're looking at in o2 when it's launched next week?

At a guess probably 250-400 depending on tarriff

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

still no sign of my two n900's from that Nokia competition, but the guy did say it could take 4 weeks to get them sorted, so I didn't want to rock the boat up to now, free phones and all that. :)

I emailed them the other day though and i got an email back asking if they (the marketing company running the competition for nokia) could pass on my details directly to the Nokia rep who would be dealing with it so I've done that. no contact from him yet though, but hopefully they'll be on their way soon. :(
    The screen is great, its very responsive, i did come from a 5800 though, so anything was going to be better.
    how are you finding the size compared to the 5800?

my missus has one at the moment, but it's soon to be replaced (hopefully) by an n900 and i'm wondering if she'll manage okay with the extra size of it (careful now!;)).

vibe666 wrote: »
    still no sign of my two n900's from that Nokia competition, but the guy did say it could take 4 weeks to get them sorted, so I didn't want to rock the boat up to now, free phones and all that. :)

I emailed them the other day though and i got an email back asking if they (the marketing company running the competition for nokia) could pass on my details directly to the Nokia rep who would be dealing with it so I've done that. no contact from him yet though, but hopefully they'll be on their way soon. :(

how are you finding the size compared to the 5800?

my missus has one at the moment, but it's soon to be replaced (hopefully) by an n900 and i'm wondering if she'll manage okay with the extra size of it (careful now!;)).

Hey Vibe, seeing as you are getting two, what will you be doing with the second one.

if you plan on selling it my friend would definetly be interested.

Drop me a pm and let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

sorry, one for me and one for the missus. :(

her brother will be getting her old 5800 and a mate at work will be getting my old n97 once it's been refurb'd at my nearest nokia service centre.

they really didn't make them anywhere near as sturdy as the n95 was, it's in bits already in less than 12 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 bernik12

just took the plunge on the n900. Vodafone store in naas had one in stock due to someone not fulfilling their order. I'm switching from o2 and getting double minutes and texts for 12 months but they can't port on a saturday so unable to collect my n900 until Monday. So, what apps should i download to get me started?

Just picked up my replacement N900, all working great after the software updates. Probably sounding like a shill now, but a big thumbs up for Karl from phonesonline. Would recommend them to anyone

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Loggie

bernik12 wrote: »
    just took the plunge on the n900. Vodafone store in naas had one in stock due to someone not fulfilling their order. I'm switching from o2 and getting double minutes and texts for 12 months but they can't port on a saturday so unable to collect my n900 until Monday. So, what apps should i download to get me started?
    Will work over wifi without a sim.
    See here for recommendatioms http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=41905
    enjoy your new toy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bluefrog

Just discovered Orb, the service that lets you access your media at home remotely has a really nice web interface on the N900. Simple and clean. :)

Advertisement