Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia N900

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

bernik12 wrote: »
    So, what apps should i download to get me started?

Go to the ovi store and get Angry Birds. Once you have that, there will be no need for any other apps, as you will not have any time to use them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Browser-shootout

Here's a link to show how the N900's browser holds up to the rest.

http://pic.gsmarena.com/vv/reviewsimg/browser-shootout/camera/browser-chart.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭PADRAIC.M

Stee wrote: »
    Go to the ovi store and get Angry Birds. Once you have that, there will be no need for any other apps, as you will not have any time to use them.
    but what do you do when you have 3 stars in all the levels like me, I check ovi store daily to see if they have more levels yet

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

PADRAIC.M wrote: »
    but what do you do when you have 3 stars in all the levels like me, I check ovi store daily to see if they have more levels yet

Add more levels! (info on Meamo.org) It can be done but you have to know what your doing.... Nokia ovi site has a bug and as soon as it's fixed you will be able to buy new levels for that game... Cant wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭SeamyH

Got my n900 last night from an Irish ebayer,using it now to post this.I was an N97 owner but was persuaded to upgrade by this thread.I'm blown away by this device,internet browser is amazing just like pc.Just wanted to say if you're a current N97 owner debating on whether to upgrade just do it,you will not be dissapointed.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

http://mobileinfo.nomadsnirvana.com/2010/02/02/angrybirds-custom-levels

Follow the instructions there to install a custom level pack made by the people of maemo. While rovio allow them to make the level, anything you do is up to yourself.

You need to have root access to your n900 so you will need gainroot

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭smegheadz

anyone try fmms yet? i'm trying to give it a go but can't seem to get my meteor mms settings correct for it. since it's not part of the phone settings mms doesn't get updated when you request the wap/mms settings from meteor. anyone using this on meteor?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭Jicked

Playing Angry Birds just makes me really wish there was a classic Worms game on the n900!

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭boc121

Any sign of this on 02?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

boc121 wrote: »
    Any sign of this on 02?

tomorrow?

• Advertisement

Cheers nereid,i seen that,they dont seem to very good at communicating with each other in 02:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

SeamyH wrote: »
    Got my n900 last night from an Irish ebayer,using it now to post this.I was an N97 owner but was persuaded to upgrade by this thread.I'm blown away by this device,internet browser is amazing just like pc.Just wanted to say if you're a current N97 owner debating on whether to upgrade just do it,you will not be dissapointed.

Congrats, 'tis great alright.

Well i got a my screen protector in the post this morning, and i'm not impressed so far, i spent a good 5 minutes cleaning the screen to try and eliminate the chance of bubbles etc, and it's covered in them. :mad::mad::mad:. I'll give it a couple of days, but if i can't get them to disappear in the bin it goes....the screen protector that is;)

Well i got a my screen protector in the post this morning, and i'm not impressed so far, i spent a good 5 minutes cleaning the screen to try and eliminate the chance of bubbles etc, and it's covered in them. :mad::mad::mad:. I'll give it a couple of days, but if i can't get them to disappear in the bin it goes....the screen protector that is;)

That happened with my last phone too. A friend of mine told me to wait a few days and the bubbles work their way out. Some did, some didnt. Probably not what you want to hear, but I ended up binning it and just being careful.

Although its risky, I'll be using mine without a protector. If it gets a scratch, it gets a scratch. Once its scratched to the point of being unable to use the phone comfortably, ill send it to fonemenders and get them to replace the screen, which is generally about €50 for a touchscreen. It may seem like a lot, but i'd rather be able to use the phone without a protector!

Anway, 5 days in with the N900, and so far its really ticking all the boxes for me. Im hesitant to say its the best phone ever, because i've learnt from so many reviews that different people need different things in a mobile device. But for me (want: good web browsing, email, video/music player) its definitely one of the best devices I've owned.

I'll be writing up a more detailed review, probably in about a fortnight once i've gotten used to it, but if anyone on the fence has any questions, let me know. I think there's plenty of us following the thread now who own one to be able to answer any queries anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Yeah i have to say, this is the first screen protector i have ever bought, i'm the same as you, phones are there to be used, and i do take care of my kit so it's never going to get wrecked. I just figured that it cost so bloody much that it was worth trying to keep it in perfect nic. I'll give it another day, and then it's gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Picked one of these up at the weekend while abroad (so no warranty to fall back on). Tried update maemo unsuccessfully this morning, would'nt update anything over the air so I tired it using nokia's software update via PC with the end result that the device is now bricked a la here:

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=34983

Looks like I'll have to buy another battery tomorrow and hope that I'll be able to flash the damn thing from the command line. Hugely unimpressed with nokia's software QA right now. :mad:

Bambi wrote: »
    Picked one of these up at the weekend while abroad (so no warranty to fall back on). Tried update maemo unsuccessfully this morning, would'nt update anything over the air so I tired it using nokia's software update via PC with the end result that the device is now bricked a la here:

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=34983

Looks like I'll have to buy another battery tomorrow and hope that I'll be able to flash the damn thing from the command line. Hugely unimpressed with nokia's software QA right now. :mad:

Have you tried plugging it into the charger, then remove battery and replace battery. That can sometimes jump start it into charging, so i've heard. Another user at maemo.org said sliding out the keyboard helps too.

Either way it sucks. When I got mine it wasnt working properly, granted, not as bad as your case, but it sucked. Once you get it up and running and it's working ok it's really really excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

smegheadz wrote: »
    anyone try fmms yet? i'm trying to give it a go but can't seem to get my meteor mms settings correct for it. since it's not part of the phone settings mms doesn't get updated when you request the wap/mms settings from meteor. anyone using this on meteor?
    I've used it on O2. The meteor settings are in the maemo.org wiki. I think I posted a link in the tips and tricks thread

smegheadz wrote: »
    matrim wrote: »
    I've used it on O2. The meteor settings are in the maemo.org wiki. I think I posted a link in the tips and tricks thread

As said above, heres the link.. http://wiki.maemo.org/MMS#Meteor_Ireland I haven't tried this myself as I never use MMS, but I'm on meteor so if this doesnt work let me know and I'll test it.

Picked one of these up at the weekend while abroad (so no warranty to fall back on).

Club Nokia stores will look after you. There's a few in Ireland that will repair for free as long as phone is under the Nokia warranty
    http://www.nokia.ie/store-locator
    I've used the service a few times with no hitch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 seldone

<mod snip>

• Advertisement

Why are you selling and how much?

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Loggie

I got the three pack of the vikuiti dqc160 knowing I'd probably make a mess of at least one and sure enough I did but managed the second one almost perfect.
    Stee wrote: »
    That happened with my last phone too. A friend of mine told me to wait a few days and the bubbles work their way out. Some did, some didnt. Probably not what you want to hear, but I ended up binning it and just being careful.

Although its risky, I'll be using mine without a protector. If it gets a scratch, it gets a scratch. Once its scratched to the point of being unable to use the phone comfortably, ill send it to fonemenders and get them to replace the screen, which is generally about €50 for a touchscreen. It may seem like a lot, but i'd rather be able to use the phone without a protector!

Not a bad way of looking at it. As someone said earlier using it with a screen protector is like leaving the plastic on a new sofa. Me, I'll leave the protector on as I am very pleased with it and I have a spare, when they're gone this might be the way to go depending on the cost of a replacement screen. I normally keep mine in a pocket with nothing else. Will nokia here replace a screen or is it a third party?
    Edit: Sorry just noticed fonemenders above who fix phones

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

His message doesn't actually say that he's selling the thing :p

It's more like a general announcement that he has an N900, it came from the U.S. with the added bonus of ALL accessories. So there! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Loggie

dregin wrote: »
    His message doesn't actually say that he's selling the thing :p

It's more like a general announcement that he has an N900, it came from the U.S. with the added bonus of ALL accessories. So there! :p
    seldone wrote: »
    i HAVE A BRAND NEW NOKIA N900 FROM USA WITH ALL ACCESORIES.

Think its for sale. See title of post

Loggie wrote: »
    Think its for sale. See title of post

SO THERE:p:p:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 seldone

sorry about that .i was away.Yeah I bought two from dell but with all the bleedin messin around with my so called visa debit I ended up buying two without the coupon .so I got both posted and while mine arived last month the other arived today,for obious reasons I had it sent out of packaging and am glad to say it made it under the radar.right so what have i got .the phone .charger usb headset tv connections .I assume you know the story with the warrentee .thats it im looking for 500 as I persume the going rate is 550 .Ive been using mine for the last month surfing and nof a bother with it

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Club Nokia stores will look after you. There's a few in Ireland that will repair for free as long as phone is under the Nokia warranty
    http://www.nokia.ie/store-locator
    I've used the service a few times with no hitch

if club nokia=fonemenders I'd only use them as a last resort tbh

if club nokia=fonemenders I'd only use them as a last resort tbh

Have used them b4 and have had mixed results. I have used these too http://www.mprc.ie/ and they were fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭manster

Cool. Got my integrated web camera on laptop working via my N900 by using Orb as a media server. Couldn't get WMP to see N900 but Orb works a treat. Could also play XVID movies streamed from my PC for the first time with great sound also. Not sure why it didn't work before but everything is clicking nicely into place tonight. :D

Also was in an cafe over the weekend and was able to watch Wales rugby match via RTE live player iver wireless. Perfect picture and sound. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

defoe18 wrote: »
    lads ive been to the VF shop in Naas beside BOI and they are selling N900 on prepay for 499

I checked the vodafone shop in Sligo and they said it's showing up on their system but there is no price for it. He said he doesn't know when it's coming in.

Advertisement