Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia N900

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭boc121

Now i have :rolleyes: works fine, thanks for your time and help.
    Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭not_xanthor

Does anywhere round the city center sell these? Yes, they're ten a penny on eBay and the like, but being the paranoid type that i am, i'd rather get one ASAP.

jszzex.jpg

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Need some advice:

Been on to VF about my lemon of an N97 and they told me i could have a N900 as a replacement.

I'm guessing it would be an overall improvement in speed/stability, but wondering what i'd *loose*

I'd heard something about only being able to make calls in portrait, has that been resolved since?

Very vague/noobish questions, but trying to avoid wading through 150 pages.

Thanks for any advice

I had an N97. Probably the worst phone I've ever owned.
    I ditched it for the N900 and never looked back.

N900 is an awesome device.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭donkey balls

dregin wrote: »
    I had an N97. Probably the worst phone I've ever owned.
    I ditched it for the N900 and never looked back.

N900 is an awesome device.

lads found out today that 3 are going to launch the n900 around july they will also have the iphone 32gb 3gs.
    i currently use the n97(still freezing) i was thinking of up grading to the iphone(heard it does not freeze) has any one here ever used the i phone?.
    im looking for a comparison between it and the n900 good points/bad points also has the n900 had the same bugs as the n97.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Firefox update is out!

so far it's feeling better but need more time to play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

god's toy wrote: »
    Firefox update is out!

Even after the update, i find it's terrible. Maybe i haven't given it much of a chance, but seriously, compared to microb it's just useless.

Even after the update, i find it's terrible. Maybe i haven't given it much of a chance, but seriously, compared to microb it's just useless.

Yep MicroB still kicks it's ass (IMO) but it is better than it was. Try a reboot.

Yep MicroB still kicks it's ass (IMO) but it is better than it was. Try a reboot.

Rebooting now!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

on this subject has anyone tried the chromium release? I dl'ed it and gave it a go but it was useless in comparison to microb. Shame because chrome is my browser of choice

Bambi wrote: »
    on this subject has anyone tried the chromium release? I dl'ed it and gave it a go but it was useless in comparison to microb. Shame because chrome is my browser of choice

Yep got that a few days ago and it feels slugish to me.
    going to give it more time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Firefox update is out!

What does FF offer over microB?

I haven't even bothered to try FF because almost everything I've thrown at microB just works and displays correctly.

Funnily enough the only time I can remember having problems with microB is with the PM page on talk.maemo.org and they were fairly minor problems

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭podge018

can anyone recommend a less data intensive browser than the microb? I ave a 250GB limit and with images off its still using a lot of data to load pages. Using opera mini on my old N95 I never got near the limit and i'd be on it all day.

Any advice for me?

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭jessconr

Vodafone trying to charge me €190 to fix my phone for a known nokia issue. the female connection on my n900 is broken and their putting it down as physical damage which my warranty doesn't cover seemingly:mad::mad:

Any ideas what I can do to make vodafone see flippin sense????

podge018 wrote: »
    can anyone recommend a less data intensive browser than the microb? I ave a 250GB limit and with images off its still using a lot of data to load pages. Using opera mini on my old N95 I never got near the limit and i'd be on it all day.

Any advice for me?
    Didnt Opera send and filter the data onto it's own servers first before the handset? I think thats why it would have been so low at the user end. were microb and the rest just display it the way it was meant to be.

matrim wrote: »
    What does FF offer over microB?

I haven't even bothered to try FF because almost everything I've thrown at microB just works and displays correctly.

Funnily enough the only time I can remember having problems with microB is with the PM page on talk.maemo.org and they were fairly minor problems

What does it offer over microb? Not much is the answer to that, well at least as far as i'm concerned! I suppose the syncing with your desktop firefox to know what tabs you had open on your pc is a good idea. But as for everything else i think it's pants in comparison.
    After updating fennec, i rebooted, it was a little quicker, but then again so is everything after a reboot. It's just not as intuitive to use, and it drives me mad that when you swipe to the left or right that it brings up that menu. That and the way the volume rocker doesn't zoom in. (Unless there's someway of changing that, that i haven't heard of????)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Didnt Opera send and filter the data onto it's own servers first before the handset? I think thats why it would have been so low at the user end. were microb and the rest just display it the way it was meant to be.

Yeah, Opera mini proxies everything through their servers and cuts it down to preserve bandwidth

microB shows the full webpage as it's supposed to be shown so uses more bandwidth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Domscard

jessconr wrote: »
    Vodafone trying to charge me €190 to fix my phone for a known nokia issue. the female connection on my n900 is broken and their putting it down as physical damage which my warranty doesn't cover seemingly:mad::mad:

Any ideas what I can do to make vodafone see flippin sense????

Gather the info from earlier in this thread and elsewhere online re this problem + Small Claims Court. A letter to inform them of your intentions in advance. Have you contacted Nokia? Maybe do that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭jessconr

Domscard wrote: »
    Gather the info from earlier in this thread and elsewhere online re this problem + Small Claims Court. A letter to inform them of your intentions in advance. Have you contacted Nokia? Maybe do that too.

contacted Nokia. They agreed that it is a known issue and agreed to fix my phone free of charge. Not very good PR though for Vodafone. They've gone down a few notches in my book. I'm with them years also. Not impressed at all by them:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Domscard

jessconr wrote: »
    contacted Nokia. They agreed that it is a known issue and agreed to fix my phone free of charge. Not very good PR though for Vodafone. They've gone down a few notches in my book. I'm with them years also. Not impressed at all by them:mad:

Glad you're getting sorted. Yes, poor show from Vodafone initially but they would have caved in the end once you made any kind of fuss. I'm pleased that Nokia stepped up to the plate and I agree with bedlam that you should post over in the Vodafone forum. Other people need to know about the problem and possible solutions.
    I've done as other people suggested here on this thread and filed down the connectors on the USB mini end of the charger and it's much easier to insert/remove. When you get your new phone, maybe do the same? Even though you know it will be replaced, it's a real PITA to have to go through the hassle, as I'm sure you'll agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Has anyone got any issues with low sound on receiving calls? The volume is set to full yet I received 2 calls yesterday & I could barely hear caller very low?? Tried everything to increase but no joy.

Anyone help?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

That's a known issue I think. Has happened to myself a few times. Hanging up and starting the call again generally solves the problem.

That's a known issue I think. Has happened to myself a few times. Hanging up and starting the call again generally solves the problem.

So is there any talk of going to be a fix for it as its bloody annoying:mad: Have to switch back to N95 to hear calls?

So is there any talk of going to be a fix for it as its bloody annoying:mad: Have to switch back to N95 to hear calls?

As I said, I have only experienced it two or three times. Not sure of the finer details but I do remeber reading bout it a few weeks/months ago.

As I said, I have only experienced it two or three times. Not sure of the finer details but I do remeber reading bout it a few weeks/months ago.

I've never experienced it? Maybe im just lucky?

Again, have no idea as to what finer details are. Just remember the topic being on a few different forums around the time that I got the phone.

Dont know if its the actual phone or the software. Some users having the same issue Here Bought this phone on Nokia Uk website. Where could I bring it to get it looked at in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭goldwing

Dont know if its the actual phone or the software. Some users having the same issue Here Bought this phone on Nokia Uk website. Where could I bring it to get it looked at in Dublin

what ever you do don't send it to Nokia Escalations in Dublin 18 I sent them my n900 on the 6th of april to get the screen repaired and they lost it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

goldwing wrote: »
    what ever you do don't send it to Nokia Escalations in Dublin 18 I sent them my n900 on the 6th of april to get the screen repaired and they lost it

They must have got you a new one if they lost the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭goldwing

Thor wrote: »
    They must have got you a new one if they lost the phone.

well they rang me during the week and asked me for proof of postage so luckily enough I registered it so I scanned the receipt and emailed it to them and they said yea I'd probably get a new one so hopefully they will have some news for me tomorrow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

well lads ive got a bit of a problem :) for some reason i cannot update my app manager its driving me nuts because i thought i had it fixed last night when i used the apt-get clean and apt-get autoremove commands to free up some root space and i got the little yellow update blip on the home page and was able to update,
    ive tried asking on maemo.org but no one seems to want to answer, it might be my internet connection but ive tried it on multiple connections and still no joy ive even changed the dns on my connection to google's, could all this be happening due to the impending pr 1.2 update?
    Also while im here can everyone update webtexter because when i tried last night it wouldnt let me.

Advertisement