Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia N900

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Yes. It's as a result of the PR1.2 update. There is a way around it which has been discussed on Maemo.org...can't find the thread at the minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

well thats good to know its probably nothing on my side then any idea when this damn update is meant to be coming out ive been hearing about it since before i even got my phone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Domscard

I think the update problem affects only apps from the extras testing catalogue - the rest seem to update ok for me. Whatever you do, don't uninstall any of them as you can't reinstall them until the PR1.2 update arrives. Luckily, I tested one that I didn't really want to try it out to discover this.

is there a way to update each repo indivudualy? still cannot update it gets caught at the d in update everytime and just stays there for ever

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭goldwing

Thor wrote: »
    They must have got you a new one if they lost the phone.

got an email today anyway and they said I will have a new n900 friday happy days:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭not_xanthor

Anybody know where in town i could get a decent N900 case cheapish?

Don't really care if it's ugly as sin.

Just want something to keep the screen scratch free, and protect it from an accidental drop until the case i bought last week turns up....

....which if that Volcanic ash is anything to go by should by any month now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭podge018

nowhere has them, best off getting a blackberry one if you're that desperate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭Nephew

I don't know if this was posted but you can register here to become a beta tester for the next ovi suite that supports the n900.

http://discussions.europe.nokia.com/t5/Maemo-Devices/N900-owners-wanted-to-beta-test-next-Ovi-Suite/m-p/667149#U667149

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Anybody know where in town i could get a decent N900 case cheapish?

Don't really care if it's ugly as sin.

Just want something to keep the screen scratch free, and protect it from an accidental drop until the case i bought last week turns up....

....which if that Volcanic ash is anything to go by should by any month now.
    The standard Nokia case is only about a €10-14 on ebay and mine got here two days later from the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Nephew wrote: »
    I don't know if this was posted but you can register here to become a beta tester for the next ovi suite that supports the n900.

http://discussions.europe.nokia.com/t5/Maemo-Devices/N900-owners-wanted-to-beta-test-next-Ovi-Suite/m-p/667149#U667149

Cool, just signed up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Nice one. Just signed up myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Cool stuff! thanks for the link!

Sparks wrote: »

Well done! :D Just one thing - how are you going to be able to hand it back after 2 weeks?

Logistically, I just hand it over to DHL and it becomes their problem.
    Emotionally, by chanting "It's only a phone" over and over again :D

Emotionally, by chanting "It's only a phone" over and over again :D

Except that it's really not 'only a phone', is it? ;) We shall see how blasé you are in a fortnight's time.

ooohhhh handing it back after two weeks is not going to be easy :) ive had mine for about three weeks and ive barely cracked the surface

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

I got mine just before Easter and my only regret is not getting it sooner. I'm stuck in Europe thanks to the poxy volcano and the N900 has already paid for itself in giving me the best mobile browser I've experienced. RSS feeds, GPS and the ability to check flights and airports is a dream. Booking trains, hotels and ferries on the go made things so much easier.

Vodafone live for 99c a day when roaming also keeps the expenses down.

Well, maybe, but I've already run into one deal-breaker of a fault: bug 6063 :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭podge018

Are RSS feeds data intensive? Any recommended ones? They're something I never bothered with before.

Well, maybe, but I've already run into one deal-breaker of a fault: bug 6063 :(

I've seen a few people mention that but I've never had any problem. It's curious alright - anyone else on this thread experience this? Is it something that is intermittent or just the unlucky few phones?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Domscard wrote: »
    I've seen a few people mention that but I've never had any problem. It's curious alright - anyone else on this thread experience this? Is it something that is intermittent or just the unlucky few phones?

Yep I experience this and posted about it a few posts back. Seems to be a software issue but feel like I have to carry 2 phones now one to browse and one to make phonecalls:mad: Was thinking of sending phone back to nokia as there seems to be no fix ??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭donkey balls

just been reading the last few posts about firmware trouble& some bugs how does it compare to the n97 does it freeze etc, i will be due an upgrade with 3 as they will be launching the n900 in july.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

It's the "Boxing and handing back the N900" post that I am looking forward to. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭not_xanthor

So as of half an hr ago, i have an N900.

Three of my last five phones were Symbian, and the other two were a V3X(horrible) and a K800 (great phone, but rather simple)

So i feel a little lost.

Can anyone give me a quick summary of must have applications, and what 'quirks' i can look forward to?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭OneWayBet

Another N900 owner on the way, ordered it last night on eBay and expecting delivery either tomorrow or Monday.

I spent a lot of time deciding between the N900 and the HTC Desire, The N900 is a bit of a risk, most opinion on the N900 points to extreme joy or extreme frustration, I hope I made the right decision!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

I think far to many people got one hoping for an iphone type experience, like very simple to use and super slick UI. (however limited it really is) Thats just not what the n900 is about and people should know this before buying.

The way I see it is if you want a simple but easy to use phone then look to apple types handsets however if you want more than just a 'phone' a device that can be yours the way you want it, that can do so much more than anything before it (and at the same time) and if are also willing to take the time to learn and understand it, (its not an iphone and its not that simple out of the box to master) then yes the N900 is for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭OneWayBet

Yes this is exactly why I bought it as I want more flexibility and I use Linux in several embedded devices already.
    I think I'll love it as long as there are no show-stopper bugs preventing me from using basic phone functionality. If I bought the Desire I think I would be bored with it after a few months but it seems the N900 offers almost infinite possibilities to keep me entertained :D

Advertisement