Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia N900

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

hey guys i got a 3 sim card today and i bought the 1 gig data allowance for 10 euro but for some reason the browser isnt working properly i can connect to google but everytime i try to connect to say facebook or any other website its giving me an error saying data packet doesnt allow access to this website what do i do has anyone got any ides
    and what are the settings to use 3 3g on the n900?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Change the DNS settings manually?

any idea what to change them to?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

google's servers are at 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

ya tried that but wouldn't even connect to google when i did:( im gona be pissed if i just trough away a teners credit for data i cannot even use

• Advertisement

when i tried to connect to facebook this time i got this error

Network Eorror (dns_server_failure)

your request could not be processed because an error occurred contacting the DNS server
    The DNS server may be temporarily unavailable, or there could be a network problem

so it is most deffinatly the dns anyone got i different DNS i could try or have any experience with this issue, maybe its because on my3 i clicked my phone as a n97 due to there being no n900 on the 3 webpage?!?

hang on seems to have gone and fixed itself :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭not_xanthor

Went to download a theme from Ovistore.

...and "preparing for installation, please wait" has been on the screen for the last 5 minutes.

What am i doing wrong?

just leave it there until something happens, this has been happening a lot to me i think it has something to do with the upcoming pr 1.2 update

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

when i tried to connect to facebook this time i got this error

Network Eorror (dns_server_failure)

your request could not be processed because an error occurred contacting the DNS server
    The DNS server may be temporarily unavailable, or there could be a network problem

so it is most deffinatly the dns anyone got i different DNS i could try or have any experience with this issue, maybe its because on my3 i clicked my phone as a n97 due to there being no n900 on the 3 webpage?!?

hang on seems to have gone and fixed itself :)

Good to see its working now for you.
    For the record: the nameservers for Open DNS are:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭limklad

hey guys i got a 3 sim card today and i bought the 1 gig data allowance for 10 euro but for some reason the browser isnt working properly i can connect to google but everytime i try to connect to say facebook or any other website its giving me an error saying data packet doesnt allow access to this website what do i do has anyone got any ides
    and what are the settings to use 3 3g on the n900?
    Contact 3 support group. They need to setup a setting for you to get full use. probably change your dns or change from nanny filter to allow you to use over 18's websites :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭podge018

couple of questions:

!ooking in 'my name' images I see sets of 4 desktop backgrounds that obviously came loaded on the device. How do I set these to the 4 desktop backgrounds, I seem to be only able to change 1 of them.

I downloaded the day of month app, that puts todays date on your desktop, where would that have placed itself? I cant see it in my app list, the only place I can see it is in uninstall. How do I turn it on?

Has anyone actually managed to download Fennec/Firefox in the last couple of days?

Does nothing for a while.
    Then makes some slow progress.
    Then i get an error message saying Fennec couldn't be found.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

@Icyseanfitz:
    I'm with 3 and I was having trouble using the internet yesterday as well. I presume it was a 3 network problem because it's working fine today.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Does anyone have issues with the phone turning of when secured? I secure the device and then at times when I take it out of my pocket it has "do you want to switch of device''. At times while in my pocket it gets switched off. Is there any way I can stop the do you want to switch of device option when secure

Updates wont connect to:

OVI
    Nokia Applications
    Nokia System Sofrware Updates.

Got the phone Thursday morning, and have tried updates maybe 10 times over the last 2 days... and have got that same error message each time.

Is this par the course?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Domscard

Updates wont connect to:

OVI
    Nokia Applications
    Nokia System Sofrware Updates.

Got the phone Thursday morning, and have tried updates maybe 10 times over the last 2 days... and have got that same error message each time.

Is this par the course?

Are you connected to the internet? I set up my Wifi connection when I got the phone and everything updated automatically. If not connected via Wifi, what network are you using and have you got the settings right? There are a lot of experts on this thread so hang in there - I'm sure they'll be able to help :)

Was trying it over WIFI, and even with firewall off, had the same problem.

Turned the modem off, tried on the mobile network, connected instantly.

Anybody got any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Does anyone have issues with the phone turning of when secured? I secure the device and then at times when I take it out of my pocket it has "do you want to switch of device''. At times while in my pocket it gets switched off. Is there any way I can stop the do you want to switch of device option when secure

No, never had this problem - and I'd have it in my pocket quite a bit during the day.

Anybody got any ideas?

Stating the obvious here :o It has to be something to do with the settings for your Wifi connection if you can connect instantly to the mobile network. What does it say in Settings for your Wifi connection and I will try and compare with mine, if you like?

Mine has only ever switched itself off once and I think I know why. It was set up to connect every 10 minutes to my WLAN but I wasn't at home and I was carrying it around in a knitted pouch that my daughter made me - very snug and also very warm. I think it became overheated trying to make a connection, as when I took it out at one point it felt hot, something I'd never noticed before. By the time I got home (hours later) it had switched itself off. Could this be your problem? Hot pockets :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Anybody got any ideas?

That's probably the DNS issue that other people have mentioned before. Are you with eircom using the netopia router?

Setup the WiFi to use a different DNS e.g. google's (8.8.8.8) or openDNS

Domscard wrote: »
    Stating the obvious here :o It has to be something to do with the settings for your Wifi connection if you can connect instantly to the mobile network. What does it say in Settings for your Wifi connection and I will try and compare with mine, if you like?

Network mode: Infrastructure
    Security method: WEP

Default WEP Key 1

Didn't go near the Advanced section.

I believe i found the problem.

And the solution may be useful to anyone on Eircom with a Netopia router.

Cut and paste:

"The ipv6 problem is with the router, not the phone smile.gif
    Changing your dns settings is quite easy: go to the internet connections in the settings app, select your wifi network, click edit, then hit next until the advanced button appears, click it then go to ip addresses and scroll down to the dns section. uncheck automatic and enter 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4. Then save and you should be set. "

I believe i found the problem.

And the solution may be useful to anyone on Eircom with a Netopia router.

Cut and paste:

"The ipv6 problem is with the router, not the phone smile.gif
    Changing your dns settings is quite easy: go to the internet connections in the settings app, select your wifi network, click edit, then hit next until the advanced button appears, click it then go to ip addresses and scroll down to the dns section. uncheck automatic and enter 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4. Then save and you should be set. "

Glad you got it sorted :) My settings wouldn't have been much use - I'm with UTV - but I do use Open Dns settings. However, I've connected without any bother to other WLANs away from home that are with Eircom and haven't experienced any problems :confused: Must be just lucky.

Joy! New problem.

Didn't know to do a backup before the firmware update.

Had already downloaded fMMS before the download... and now it's gone from the program list, and i can no longer download it from the application manager...

...so i'm guessing it's somewhere.

Anybody got any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭netopia

Not sure if this has been dealt with on any of the 157 pages here but if anyone has the all the correct settings for sending emails from an eircom.net account in the following scenarios can they let me know what they are

I connect through Eircom wifi at home and through Vodafone ISP when out and about.

I have setup email on other Nokia devices on an iPod touch and on several PCs and I have NEVER EVER had whatever this problem is.

I know its only a matter of changing some settings but 3 months later (with ZERO help from Vodafone) I just want to get they phone to do what it is meant to do.

netopia wrote: »
    Not sure if this has been dealt with on any of the 157 pages here but if anyone has the all the correct settings for sending emails from an eircom.net account in the following scenarios can they let me know what they are

I connect through Eircom wifi at home and through Vodafone ISP when out and about.

I have setup email on other Nokia devices on an iPod touch and on several PCs and I have NEVER EVER had whatever this problem is.

I know its only a matter of changing some settings but 3 months later (with ZERO help from Vodafone) I just want to get they phone to do what it is meant to do.

This may not be much use to you, but I filter all of my emails (including 2 Eircom ones) through one Gmail account, which was easy to set up on the N900. The big advantage to me was the almost complete elimination of spam. Since I use UTV for my wifi, I can't help with the email settings for Eircom email directly, but I'm sure someone is doing so. It's quiet here at the moment, so maybe the experts are out on the town :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭PADRAIC.M

Joy! New problem.

Didn't know to do a backup before the firmware update.

Had already downloaded fMMS before the download... and now it's gone from the program list, and i can no longer download it from the application manager...

...so i'm guessing it's somewhere.

Anybody got any ideas?
    dude if you used the search button you would have found the dns problem with the netopia router about 10 times in this thread...

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭netopia

Hi Domscard

I do have a gmail account and I cant get that to work either, I've tried every email account I've ever had eircom / gmail / hotmail / vodafone.

Nothing will work.

I like the sound of filtering all mail through gmail (some amount of spam on eircom one).

I've just reset up my gmail account, are these settings the same as yours

Incoming server : imap.gmail.com
    Secure connection: SSL (IMAP45)
    Port: 993
    Outgoing server: smtp.gmail.com
    Secure authentication: Login (followed by my login details)
    Port 465
    Use connection specific SMTP servers (not ticked)

• Advertisement

netopia wrote: »
    Hi Domscard

I do have a gmail account and I cant get that to work either, I've tried every email account I've ever had eircom / gmail / hotmail / vodafone.

Nothing will work.

I like the sound of filtering all mail through gmail (some amount of spam on eircom one).

I've just reset up my gmail account, are these settings the same as yours

Incoming server : imap.gmail.com
    Secure connection: SSL (IMAP45)
    Port: 993
    Outgoing server: smtp.gmail.com
    Secure authentication: Login (followed by my login details)
    Port 465
    Use connection specific SMTP servers (not ticked)

Same as mine :confused: Maybe try a reboot? Or in settings on the Gmail account (@ icon) I've got Gmail set as the Default and to Update automatically via the WLAN. Not sure if that makes any difference though.

***One other thing, check your entered passwords - it seems the default capitalises the first letters. I think I remember someone else having that problem.

Advertisement