Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia N900

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Domscard

netopia wrote: »
    Hi Domscard

I do have a gmail account and I cant get that to work either, I've tried every email account I've ever had eircom / gmail / hotmail / vodafone.

Nothing will work.

I like the sound of filtering all mail through gmail (some amount of spam on eircom one).

I've just reset up my gmail account, are these settings the same as yours

Incoming server : imap.gmail.com
    Secure connection: SSL (IMAP45)
    Port: 993
    Outgoing server: smtp.gmail.com
    Secure authentication: Login (followed by my login details)
    Port 465
    Use connection specific SMTP servers (not ticked)

Update: After the above post, I spent some time (!) trying to configure my own Eircom email and finally found these settings that WORK:
    Mail server type: POP3
    Incoming mail server: webmail.eircom.net
    Outgoing mail server*: mail1.eircom.net

It appears that the default settings for Eircom in the N900 are incorrect. I had to change the *Outgoing mail server for mine to the smtp version for UTV but yours is definitely the one above for Eircom. As I said before, make sure that the password is entered correctly also (not capitalised, unless that's what it is). Please tell me this works :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    No, never had this problem - and I'd have it in my pocket quite a bit during the day.

Saw it over on Maemo also so was wondering if others had the same issue? Bit of an annoyance

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭netopia

Domscard

you are a genius .... I deleted all of the accounts except gmail. Got my eircom all set up through gmail and I am at last up and running for the 1st time on the N900 both on wifi & vodafone (not to mention how handy it is to be able to view email through gmail anyway.

Cheers again, the inspiration was much appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭manster

Anyone have the settings for the APN "Vodaone Live". I have the 1 Gb add-on so the only settings i have currently is for "Vodafone ISP". I need these as I can use them whilst roaming and NOT be charged. Cheers.

Also how do enter packet data settings when the default seems to be WLAN?

manster wrote: »
    Anyone have the settings for the APN "Vodaone Live". I have the 1 Gb add-on so the only settings i have currently is for "Vodafone ISP". I need these as I can use them whilst roaming and NOT be charged. Cheers.

Also how do enter packet data settings when the default seems to be WLAN?

You can only have one Packet Data APN unless you install an app called FaPN. Once you've downloaded it and added a new APN, the settings for Vodafone Live are as follows:
    Settings > Internet Connections > Connections > New
    Access point name: live.vodafone.com
    No user name or password - leave the Prompt password unticked. Nothing more needed as you're already on Vodafone and can't access Live unless you are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭manster

Domscard wrote: »
    You can only have one Packet Data APN unless you install an app called FaPN. Once you've downloaded it and added a new APN, the settings for Vodafone Live are as follows:
    Settings > Internet Connections > Connections > New
    Access point name: live.vodafone.com
    No user name or password - leave the Prompt password unticked. Nothing more needed as you're already on Vodafone and can't access Live unless you are.

Cheers for that. That's what I thought. Again another N900 'feature' that you can only have one Packet Data APN :rolleyes:

The other alternative (I assume) is to edit the existing ISP Vodafone settings. I was reading the Maemo posts on FaPN and people are having issues with it.

Wonder which is faster live.vodafone.com or isp.vodafone.ie? I suppose it differs if you're at home or abroad.

manster wrote: »
    Cheers for that. That's what I thought. Again another N900 'feature' that you can only have one Packet Data APN :rolleyes:

The other alternative (I assume) is to edit the existing ISP Vodafone settings. I was reading the Maemo posts on FaPN and people are having issues with it.

Wonder which is faster live.vodafone.com or isp.vodafone.ie? I suppose it differs if you're at home or abroad.

I installed FaPN to get another APN and had no bother. I was going to just edit the Vodafone ISP settings as you said, but I like the idea of having both. At 19c a MB, the ISP settings are good for just a brief browsing session while it appears that the Live setting allows cheap roaming and/or a more prolonged connection. I don't know how good, bad or indifferent they are for speed as I haven't used them since. I will probably trial them both next week when I'm away from home for a few days - I usually just use my Wifi at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

ok something seriously wrong as cannot hear any caller on my phone. Must be the earpiece. Have to leave it into Fonemenders for repair. Not sure if they will have it by 24 hours or 2 weeks as new phone? Anyone dealt with these ? Their main branch is in Sandyford industrial estate if I want it quicker

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭podge018

Really don't think I'm getting the full bang for my buck out of this phone. It's not doing much more than my old N95 done except a nicer browsing experience.

What kind of things do you lot be doing with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Love the gPodder app! Using it to grab podcasts from Engadget and video Podcasts from GeekBrief.tv

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

podge018 wrote: »
    Really don't think I'm getting the full bang for my buck out of this phone. It's not doing much more than my old N95 done except a nicer browsing experience.

I also upgraded from a N95 and am liking the following better on the N900:
    top class browser
    ability to download divx movies onto the phone and use tv out to watch
    always on IM clients (much neater than fring or gtalk on N95)
    integration of GPS with IM and camera
    internet radio
    RSS widget on desktop
    simple to setup and use email.Handles gmail and hotmail nicely.

I'm impressed how it manages contact. Selecting the contact I want and then having
    the option to phone, sms, gtalk call or gtalk IM is great.

internet radio

Dont forget the best part, Internet Radio with FM transmitter! a Godsend!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

god's toy wrote: »
    Dont forget the best part, Internet Radio with FM transmitter! a Godsend!

Yep, this is the business. I sometimes watch planes at dublin airport (dont laught now lads) and see people out with their scanners with special aerials on the roof. I have the Dublin tower/approach/ground air traffic control feeds from liveatc.net saved as radio bookmarks, which I stream via the transmitter to the car stereo.
    podge018 wrote: »

Apart from above, usually just use the web browser, A LOT. I've been through many many phones looking for as close to full web as possible and this is without a doubt the best. The 3Gs was close, but not quite there yet.

I find the media player is excellent too, good screen too for watching movies, un-converted avi's playing perfectly is a nice touch.

PR1.2, the next major firmware update is due in the next few days, which will hopefully add a few more nice features.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I e-mailed this to a mate who wanted my take on the N900 as he's thinking of bagging a new phone. I'll throw it out for others to dis/agree with.

The good :
    Browser: the N900's killer app. It blows everything else out of the water, it rocks.
    multiple desktops: very neat
    qwerty keyboard: great to use, except for typing out IP addresses :(
    copy/paste key shortcut: a small thing but really useful
    camera: Really nice quality
    FM transmitter/ access to remote shared media: I find great use for these features
    E-mail: better than it's predecessers but still a mixed bag. You can't copy or paste text in emails which is bizarre. Plus MfE is borked. Presumably because it was developed by some linux gimp.
    Multitasking: It does and it works :)

Not so good:
    Battery: hopeless, the biggest reason not to buy this device. It died on me halfway through the day today after spending most of it in my coat pocket.:mad:
    Video recording: useless.
    Pixelpipe: Great idea but lives up to its name: Many of the videos i upload through it are pixellated.
    Layout: there's some downloads that improve it but wtf is up with sticking crap like mahjong up front and not letting us remove it?
    OTA updating: tries to refresh its lists for every and any reason, which makes using it a pain. Doesn't work half of the time anyway.
    Office connectivity: it's bundled office reader suite is a trial version only, no alternative available on maemo that i can see. So much for open platform benefits.:o
    Media player: I don't use the N900 for music or video (the cowon S9 blows it away) but what I've seen doesn't really impress me. Not playing ovi store DRM'ed tracks is hilariously bad.
    App's: someone once told me that there are three types of thing in life:
    things that you need to have, things that are nice to have and, lastly, bull****. Most Maemo downloads fall into the latter two categories.
    Phone: i'm not a heavy phone user, but it strikes me as basic. If you use gmail talk or skype you might really like it.

Bambi wrote: »
    qwerty keyboard: great to use, except for typing out IP addresses :(

Just tap the Blue arrow twice to lock the numpad (all blue marking on keys now default);)

Bambi wrote: »
    Not so good:
    Battery: hopeless, the biggest reason not to buy this device. It died on me halfway through the day today after spending most of it in my coat pocket.:mad:
    Really? I'm getting much better life than that, after I turned off bluetooth and I'm on either wifi or 3G all day long with twitter and the like.
    Media player: I don't use the N900 for music or video (the cowon S9 blows it away) but what I've seen doesn't really impress me. Not playing ovi store DRM'ed tracks is hilariously bad.
    There are better media players for download.
    Phone: i'm not a heavy phone user, but it strikes me as basic. If you use gmail talk or skype you might really like it.
    Yeah, unless 6063 gets you, in which case it's not usable as a phone without a hands-free kit of some kind :(

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

god's toy wrote: »
    Just tap the Blue arrow twice to lock the numpad (all blue marking on keys now default);)

It's entering the dots in IP addresses that makes it a pain. You have to hit the blue arrow about a dozen times and it really slows it down.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

In terms of battery, I get a full day with the handset being connected to a wifi network for the majority of the day with skype set to available, an hour worth of calls, 40 to 50 texts and listening to music for about 4 or 5 hours.

For the battery-concerned, this app supposedly extends battery life by up to a factor of five:
    http://www.nokian900.tv/autodisconnect-for-better-battery-management-of-your-n900/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I have to say im surprised that you claim the video recording is terrible. I find it's actually fantastic and that's in both good and bad lighting. I've always gotten great videos, clear and smooth with accurate colours. I wonder if its a hardware issue?

I have to say im surprised that you claim the video recording is terrible. I find it's actually fantastic and that's in both good and bad lighting. I've always gotten great videos, clear and smooth with accurate colours. I wonder if its a hardware issue?

Excellent video recording here too - especially outdoors, but good enough inside too. Obviously, it's not as good as a dedicated camcorder, but I never expected that.
    I sympathise with those who are having the sound problems with calls too. That must be a real PITA!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I suspect its the OS or maybe a disc write problem rather than the camera itself. When it works the quality is excellent.

Take a look at this around 2:41 in..the guy holding the phone actually comments on the pause. But more importantly, I've been recording where the pauses were worse or the application hung or just crashed.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Anyone got a VPN connection working?

I'm using OpenVPN and having a spot of bother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭PabloIndentes

Morning All,

Ive had a N900 for some months now and its been amazing.

BUT......
    recently, ive gotten the update icon for a few of the installed apps: -
    Gtranslate
    Webtexter being some....
    and when I try install I get the following error saying it cant install.

webtexter Application packages missing: librtcom-eventlogger1 (>=1.3-4+0m5)

I uninstalled the original app then tried installing the new one (0.7.8) from scratch but the same error.

Please can anybody help as I use Webtexter alot for international texts.

I know Matrim has helped in the past so I hope he's reading :)

Thanks

P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Morning All,

Ive had a N900 for some months now and its been amazing.

BUT......
    recently, ive gotten the update icon for a few of the installed apps: -
    Gtranslate
    Webtexter being some....
    and when I try install I get the following error saying it cant install.

webtexter Application packages missing: librtcom-eventlogger1 (>=1.3-4+0m5)

I uninstalled the original app then tried installing the new one (0.7.8) from scratch but the same error.

Please can anybody help as I use Webtexter alot for international texts.

I know Matrim has helped in the past so I hope he's reading :)

Thanks

P

This seems to be related to the upcoming PR1.2 firmware update. The autobuilder for the repositories was updated to use the PR1.2 SDK which causes the libraries that are linked, to be the newer version.

If you only use the extras repository you shouldn't have any problems, but if you use extras-testing or devel you can run into the issue.

It's kind of frustrating because I actually made sure to release the latest version of webtexter (and extended call log) before the update of the SDK to try avoid this kind of problem, but they made some changes in the last 2 weeks that caused the issue to start.

Also, what repositories have you enabled in your Application Manager?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭PabloIndentes

Nokia Applications
    Nokia System Software Updates
    Ovi
    Maemo.org
    Extras
    Extras-Devel

• Advertisement

Nokia Applications
    Nokia System Software Updates
    Ovi
    Maemo.org
    Extras
    Extras-Devel

Can you disable extras-devel and enable extras-testing, then try to install \ update webtexter again?

Advertisement