Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia N900

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Just got this so will have to wait that bit longer:mad:

Unfortunately, the release date for the item(s) listed below was changed by the supplier, and we need to provide you with a new estimated delivery date based on the new release date:

"Nokia N900 Mobile Computer with Maemo 5 Software"
    Estimated arrival date: November 05 2009 - November 06 2009

One of Amazon's aims is to provide a convenient and efficient service; in this case, we have fallen short. Please accept our sincere apologies.

I got that too. Although it's not too bad for me because it's being sent to my parents address, and I wouldn't have been able to collect it from there until that weekend anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

I wont be in the country if it arrives around that date but should be a nice present to come home to:)

Another You tube link for getting started wont embed for me??:confused:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzLdXEigd4c&feature=player_embedded#

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭PH4T

Dankoozy wrote: »
    No keyboard == no buy

keyboards are a waste of space on a phone. get a net book if thats what u need.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Dankoozy wrote: »
    No keyboard == no buy

Yeah, Im thinking the same (Apple iPhone owner here). If there is talk of a model coming out with no keyboard, I might wait for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭lunacyfoundme

I like the tactile nature of the actual keyboard. Digi keyboards would be useless for typing quick on a resistive screen I think. Can't imagine playing the SNES emulator even with a capacitive screen controller. Sometimes you just need the tactile feedback.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

PH4T wrote: »
    keyboards are a waste of space on a phone. get a net book if thats what u need.

Agreed,

Buttons are small, they get loose and flimsy, they make the phone thicker.

I've typed on an iphone and I loved it, don't know about an emulator but I've played Tetris on a touchscreen, pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,336 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I've been getting excited and started putting my 20c coins in the piggy bank to buy an N900 for xmas until I read this:

no Java support, even just Java MIDP

http://my-symbian.com/other/preview_n900.php?page=4

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

Hmm, that's odd.
    I'd say it should be easy enough to get a JVM going on it though.
    Seems so far to be a lot "left out" on this phone, to be added in later.
    I've one ordered, due next week from expansys, but I'm not convinced, the n920 might suit me better. It appears to be the same dimensions as the HTC TYTN II which I have, but I found it to big, and it only gets used for tom tom in my car. I might cancel it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 jason.clark

any significant feedback for this phones tv-out quality? :confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

looks good if you ask me

• Advertisement

You could check out the video of quake playing earlier in the thread which shows them playing quake from the N900 via TV out

As for the keyboard debate, it's all a matter of personal preference. I've never used an on-screen keyboard that I prefer to a hardware keyboard and find it hard to imagine one that I would prefer

anyone else notice that expansys delviery date has changed again. this time it says estimated 2 days.

I checked that this morning and it def said due date was 30th October. Wonder a) why this just changed and b) why it dropped so short?

I hope this isnt a mistake on their part, it would be outstanding to get this so soon.

my order itself says estimated 3 days and has be coming down to that for awhile.

i think it is a mistake unless for some reason nokia said to expect stock in the next day but other sites would have changed aswell.

who knows!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Dr Rod Doom

I have the same thing - my order says Est. 3 days and the general site says est. 2 days (wishful thinking but maybe 3 days means delivery to us in 3 days?)

Anyway, noticed something odd on expansys.ie as well; if you search for N900, there are now 2 options there. 1 is the same as the UK site description and costs €630, the other describes it as an Internet Tablet and costs €680... odd that

Cant see the diff between the two packages except one has vouchers with it. And it's the cheaper on!?!

If theres no diff and thats an error then the due date could easily be an error too.

Yup, in fact if you go in to the "Internet Tablet" description one it says "Includes Nokia N900...with £30 expansys vouchers".

It is a new addition to expansys.ie though, so maybe they got some stock in and threw up a new description on the site without removing the link to the old UK one.
    Wishful thinking again, of course, because I still can't see anywhere that confirms it actually was released on the 19th as it was supposed to be

those 2 n900 on the irish expansys have been there awhile, i just taught the had it up by mistake as there usa one has 2 because one is the uk version and one is the us version.

i doubt that it will ship in two days but i can't see how they made this kind of mistake.

my estimate just changed to 13 days!!!!

main page is still the same though

My estimate's at 12 days now too... not good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

Same deal here also.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭joedumper

my amazon holding steady at :
    Delivery estimate: 5 Nov 2009 - 6 Nov 2009
    Dispatch estimate: 2 Nov 2009
    :(

back to november 1st on expansys

joedumper wrote: »
    my amazon holding steady at :
    Delivery estimate: 5 Nov 2009 - 6 Nov 2009
    Dispatch estimate: 2 Nov 2009
    :(

Same as me on amazon

Well rather wait an extra few days and get a unit with less bugs.
    Mine ordered from Germany, should come to €375 :)
    And before anyone asks no I can't get it for that price for you, have a mate over there who has links!

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Dirk_digbee

Just back from New York, I called into the Nokia store while I was over there and had a little play with the N900 for about 10 or 15 minutes.
    I’m nearly sorry I bought an N97 now!
    It’s a really nice bit of kit to play with, very smooth.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭joedumper

AHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

http://www.engadget.com/2009/10/22/nokia-n900-not-coming-until-some-time-in-november/

You know, being a software developer myself, I completely understand how these things go,
    bugs are found and need to be fixed,
    performance testing targets have to hit...
    and inevitably dates slip !

but for fecks sake, at this stage Nokia should have a good asessment of how long it will take to resolve the latest issues,
    and with building in a weeks safety time,
    should be able to say to us that the device will be shipped on the Xth day in November....
    instead of this random wishy washy expected times !
    :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭hal9000

Dont you know the N in N900 means November!

we all new it was being postponed to november, i doubt it will be pushed back anymore.

got an email back from amazon saying that they have no problem shipping to ireland.

also clove.co.uk got back to me aswell saying that there price is confirmed so that seems like a great deal. alos they said the release date is early november.

might go with them in the end not sure.

all i know is both expansys and clove take the money once the order is ready for dispatch so i have an order with both at the moment. whatever one takes the money first i will go with as i just want the phone NOW!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭bala

Advertisement