Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia N900

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭not_xanthor

pr one point two apparently improves the screen a lot.. but id suggest you get it looked at if nothing else so theres a record of faults if it needs replacemnt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭Jicked

Checking my emails:

Instant send and receive on the 3 network
    Instant send and receive on my UPC wifi connection

No send and receive on a relations Eircom wifi connection though internet is fine.

Thought this might be related to netopia problem and changed dns but this has no effect. It just won't send and receive at all on the Eircom wifi.

Any ideas?

(ps I still want the damn N900 to be able to stream quicktime for my cctv - when will this codec be available? :mad:) (though Matrim kindly offered some suggestions which were beyond my technical ability! :o)

I've the exact same problem with using eircom wifi connection, but nowhere else. Also stops me from downloading apps or updating things like forecaweather. Driving me mad so it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Jicked wrote: »
    I've the exact same problem with using eircom wifi connection, but nowhere else. Also stops me from downloading apps or updating things like forecaweather. Driving me mad so it is.

Check back in the thread for exact details but there's a known problem with the eircom routers not giving the correct DNS address.
    You have to manually setup the google or OpenDNS addresses as your DNS server on the access point

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭Nephew

Thanks for the link, matrim. I'll try it later when I get a chance.

Another problem, I noticed today once I close the phone, so the keypad is covered, the screen goes black.

Btw I just realised when using the browser if you draw a circle with your finger in a clockwise motion it zooms in and anti clockwise zooms out. You probably all know this already, but it impressed me.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Nephew wrote: »
    Thanks for the link, matrim. I'll try it later when I get a chance.

Another problem, I noticed today once I close the phone, so the keypad is covered, the screen goes black.

Isn't that how it's supposed to work?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

I have read posts about this elsewhere, it seems you can insert a Data-only SIM into the N900 and basically use that as a portable PC of sorts, instead of a phone. Is that correct?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭Nephew

Isn't that how it's supposed to work?

No, when the keypad is closed the back light stay on and the phone can still be used. It will lock by itself if left idle. Now when I close the keypad it either goes completely black or stays on.

Nephew wrote: »
    No, when the keypad is closed the back light stay on and the phone can still be used. It will lock by itself if left idle. Now when I close the keypad it either goes completely black or stays on.

I just checked mine. If I open it and then close it without touching anything the screen will lock again but if I open it and then press something when I close the keyboard the screen stays lit and active

Maybe there's a setting for it somewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Thought this might be related to netopia problem and changed dns but this has no effect.
    matrim wrote: »
    Check back in the thread for exact details but there's a known problem with the eircom routers not giving the correct DNS address.
    You have to manually setup the google or OpenDNS addresses as your DNS server on the access point

I had already changed the dns settings (both google and opendns) but same problem persists. Maybe Jicked will have some more info on this...

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

matrim wrote: »
    I just checked mine. If I open it and then close it without touching anything the screen will lock again but if I open it and then press something when I close the keyboard the screen stays lit and active

Maybe there's a setting for it somewhere

If you flick the lock-screen slide switch on the phone, it behaves like that - it locks when you close it and then unlocks when you open the keyboard. Clever design, that.

• Advertisement

Sparks wrote: »
    If you flick the lock-screen slide switch on the phone, it behaves like that - it locks when you close it and then unlocks when you open the keyboard. Clever design, that.

Jaysus, didn't know that! Thanks.

minor apn niggle: when im away from wifi phone automatically connects to the mms apn rather than vf live. tried renaming them on the off chance it works through the list alphabetically and can seem to set individual ones to automatically connect. suggestions? thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭OneWayBet

minor apn niggle: when im away from wifi phone automatically connects to the mms apn rather than vf live. tried renaming them on the off chance it works through the list alphabetically and can seem to set individual ones to automatically connect. suggestions? thanks

I have the same problem, I'm on 3. I presume you are using FMMS?

You could try using havoc mode in fMMS which I think deletes the APN from the phone settings.

10 things I love about the N900 (and 10 things I hate about it too).

4 Speed..........."Maybe overclocking would fix this, or maybe it’s a software kink; either way, it really should be fixed before you open the box…"

Maybe?

Maybe because (a) it's more latency (startup times) that you notice it on, rather than running time - whether raw horsepower can fix that isn't clear; and (b) because I couldn't get permission to test the overclocking (did ask for it, but Nokia didn't get back to WOMWorld in time) and it wasn't my hardware to risk :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭Jicked

I had already changed the dns settings (both google and opendns) but same problem persists. Maybe Jicked will have some more info on this...

I'm not particularly tech minded so may not be of much use...but I've tried changing the DNS settings to the Google DNS on the phone itself and got nowhere. Is there some sort of messing around I should be doing with the eircom wifi itself? This problem, and the frustrating lack of navigation on Ovi Maps (are they likely to bother changing that ever?), are the only gripes I have with my n900.

https://store.opendns.com/setup/computer/

Solved the application problem. Not sure if it solves the mail over wifi problem though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Opera Mobile for N900!: http://labs.opera.com/news/2010/05/11/

• Advertisement

god's toy wrote: »

Downloaded it there. I always like it on symbian. Not as big a fan of it when compared to microb. Although, i do love the way opera prerenders the page so all the text fits.
    And btw, it eats battery, and doesn't throttle back when you leave it running in the background so it'll munch through your battery like a hungry fat man if you forget to close out of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Downloaded it there. I always like it on symbian. Not as big a fan of it when compared to microb. Although, i do love the way opera prerenders the page so all the text fits.
    And btw, it eats battery, and doesn't throttle back when you leave it running in the background so it'll munch through your battery like a hungry fat man if you forget to close out of it!

Yep it sure does kill the batt alright.

I'm really liking it I have to say, very slick and everything is the way I'd want it. Lets hope it's optimized.

I'm really liking it I have to say, very slick and everything is the way I'd want it. Lets hope it's optimized.

Just noticed 2 things.
    1. You can use it in portrait mode. And type in portrait! Nice.

2. When in landscape mode you can bring up a mouse curser by using the hardware arrow keys. Very slick. Much easier to use for posting on boards! Navigating through my subbed list is a piece of cake.

Awesome browser! Very impressed so far!

Oh i've had it crash twice already. both times were when transitioning from portrait back to landscape. It's an alpha so it's hardly surprising!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Thats a damn shame. I've only used it briefly, but find it very slick and very easy to use. Full screen looks great and it seems to respond better than microb. Moves very quick between portrait and landscape, and the multiple windows feature is done very well.

The thing with the battery life is that it's not an attribute of just the N900 - I was getting about 5 hours out of the N900 when using it online (for twitter, web browsing or whatever) and slightly longer if I was using it as an mp4 player; but if I use my E71 with the same usage patterns (bar the mp4 bit), I get the same battery life. So it's not the device; it's the battery itself not being spec'd for the usage patterns we're applying to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Domscard

I've read that there is (or soon to be) an extended life battery for the N900: http://thenokiaguide.com/2010/01/11/mugen-power-nokia-n900-extended-battery-on-the-way/.
    It needs an adaptation to the back as it's a bit larger - I've seen pictures somehere with a kind of replacement back cover to accommodate it. However, there are some dodgy fakes on Ebay that must be avoided.

Ugh. Don't mind it being thicker, and losing the kickstand is sad but bearable; but no lens cover? Fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

Domscard wrote: »
    I've read that there is (or soon to be) an extended life battery for the N900: http://thenokiaguide.com/2010/01/11/mugen-power-nokia-n900-extended-battery-on-the-way/.
    It needs an adaptation to the back as it's a bit larger - I've seen pictures somehere with a kind of replacement back cover to accommodate it. However, there are some dodgy fakes on Ebay that must be avoided.
    Ugh. Don't mind it being thicker, and losing the kickstand is sad but bearable; but no lens cover? Fail.

here is the battery you are talking about here!!

Battery

It does have a lens cover on it so nothing to worry about there.

Ah, I see what I did wrong there - I was looking at a review of their extended battery for a HTC device.

• Advertisement

Just after seeing the picture of the N97 talk about the most ridiculous add-on ever. It looks so dumb. This is something i definitely will NOT be buying.

Advertisement