Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia N900

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Sparks wrote: »
    Don't mind it being thicker

While I tend to defend the N900's quirks where reasonable, I really cannot defend the thickness. Its one chunky bastard of a phone, and if battery life affected me enough to need a longer life battery, I'd sell the phone before making it any thicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

hi guys. anyone else get 'free public wifi' when they go into internet connections. its always there with full signal and unlocked. how do i get rid of it as it clearly not a real connection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Domscard

funkyjebus wrote: »
    hi guys. anyone else get 'free public wifi' when they go into internet connections. its always there with full signal and unlocked. how do i get rid of it as it clearly not a real connection.

Have you tried it to establish if you can actually connect/surf etc? Maybe you're just lucky to be in range of this freebie? :D

Thor wrote: »
    here is the battery you are talking about here!!

Battery

It does have a lens cover on it so nothing to worry about there.

Yeah, that's the video I'd seen before - some serious looking nails on that woman :D I think it looks fine and if the price/availability was ok, I'd sprig for it. Definitely thick looking, but the N900 is thick anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Just to note, it may or may not be related but my battery is being hammerd from the time i downloaded Opera.
    even after a few restarts and if its not running. odd.
    going to look more into it.

• Advertisement

Domscard wrote: »
    Have you tried it to establish if you can actually connect/surf etc? Maybe you're just lucky to be in range of this freebie? :D

actually no. i connected by mistake one day but quicky disconnected. didn't try and surf, as all seemed to dodgy.

Its defo fake, as it followed me to the burren in clare last week from dublin!!!

i aslo noticed today that there is no percent button on the keyboard. WTF?

god's toy wrote: »
    Just to note, it may or may not be related but my battery is being hammerd from the time i downloaded Opera.
    even after a few restarts and if its not running. odd.
    going to look more into it.

About 5 days ago my battery started wasting very quickly. I'd unplug it from the charger in the morning and by 12 it would be circa 40%, and that was without much use. This lasted for 3 days and then was back to normal from tuesday onwards. :confused: No new installs or anything, although MicroB was acting the maggot during the 3 days, such as not asking me for internet connections and when I went to select one manually, it would just give me the spinning refreshing logo.

Installed opera last night and have been playing with it a good bit today, battery still circa 70% now, which is about average for me this time of day.

Yeah its strange that it is buried in the symbol screen along with | (pipe) which is used in linux a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

actually no. i connected by mistake one day but quicky disconnected. didn't try and surf, as all seemed to dodgy.

Its defo fake, as it followed me to the burren in clare last week from dublin!!!

Go into the n900's settings, connectivity, internet connections, connections, delete the free public wifi.

Go into the n900's settings, connectivity, internet connections, connections, delete the free public wifi.

And its.....gone. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭podge018

does your slider go straight up, or can you move the right hand side diagonally up a bit, then level it off on the left as its going up? Say you were pushing it up with your right thumb and you exerted the force on the right side at the bottom, would it go up level?

I dropped mine and dont know if Ive loosened something or if it was always like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

podge018 wrote: »
    does your slider go straight up, or can you move the right hand side diagonally up a bit, then level it off on the left as its going up? Say you were pushing it up with your right thumb and you exerted the force on the right side at the bottom, would it go up level?

I dropped mine and dont know if Ive loosened something or if it was always like this.

Mine has a little leeway in it, But it has always been like that. I think it has something to do with the machanism. Not positive.

Yeah i've got a bit of leeway in it too. Only slightly though, as in I'd only notice it if I was looking for it.

Stee wrote: »
    Yeah i've got a bit of leeway in it too. Only slightly though, as in I'd only notice it if I was looking for it.

Yeah that is exactly what i have!!

My guess is that its normal.

Other then that the phone has great build quality.

Mine just goes straight up - no leeway that I can see. Hope yours is ok :(

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Anyone notice a slowdown in the operation of the phone when you have a load of songs/videos on the device? I've about 3,500 songs and about 65 videos and it seems a little sluggish, not just when opening media player, but the whole phone in general.

I am rebooting every so often now to speed things up.

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Anyone notice a slowdown in the operation of the phone when you have a load of songs/videos on the device? I've about 3,500 songs and about 65 videos and it seems a little sluggish, not just when opening media player, but the whole phone in general.

I am rebooting every so often now to speed things up.

I'm not finding the device slow with a lot of media on it. But the media player is pretty poor though, not terrible, but definitely has room for improvement. The media player seems to take up a lot of cpu time when im randomly playing everything.
    EDIT: Btw i have about 3000 songs and no movies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭not_xanthor

Mine *appears* to be slowing down a little in Micro B. Even with the cache empty, and the processor clocked to 900.

...anyone else's slowing down on the browser? Or am i just imagning it........

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Mine has slowed down recently too. I assumed it is some application that I recently installed or updated.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭MackDeToaster

I'm still holding out on one of these until a version of Ovi Maps that's as good as the Symbian one is released, and I need Viewranger too. It's killing me it is as in nearly every other way this is my perfect handset.

In the meantime I spotted this great blog post yesterday with a handy list of apps that some might find useful...

http://tinyurl.com/39uwhqr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭OneWayBet

Mine has slowed down recently too. I assumed it is some application that I recently installed or updated.

Mine has been fine, though I just recently ramped mine up to 900Mhz so maybe that's why I perceive it to be fast :-)

I'm still holding out on one of these until a version of Ovi Maps that's as good as the Symbian one is released, and I need Viewranger too. It's killing me it is as in nearly every other way this is my perfect handset.

In the meantime I spotted this great blog post yesterday with a handy list of apps that some might find useful...

http://tinyurl.com/39uwhqr

you could always just buy sygic for it, In my opinion its better then ovi maps(the one that actually works)

its €40 for the uk and ireland maps and €60 for all of europe.

Pretty decent deal considering the program is excellent.

I tested version 9 from the ovi store and was let down big time. Dont know who they get mapping software from but it didnt have a lot of things i serched for. Most shocking was Dublin Zoo! ended up wifes ovi maps on her x6 and it was sopot on for everything.

I hear Version 10 is better but i'd wait for nokia to sort there maps out for the 900.

Thor wrote: »
    you could always just buy sygic for it, In my opinion its better then ovi maps(the one that actually works)

its €40 for the uk and ireland maps and €60 for all of europe.

Pretty decent deal considering the program is excellent.

Got this yesterday, haven't actually used it outside the house yet!, but it's impressive to use and the maps appear accurate, and it has a nicer UI. I suppose it's worth the cash, although if OVI maps is coming i'd be inclined to just wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,705 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Well have my N900 back and the earpiece was faulty but got it replaced and now I can hear the callers:D

Anywho just a few questions.
    Has anyone loaded any codecs onto the phone or will it play all formats?
    Have the radio app installed and it turns on the bluetooth which seems to eat the battery. Is there only the one app Petrovich or are there others?
    Is there any earphones etc that are available where I can switch between radio and songs or even change the radio station without taking the phone out of my pocket

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭EriT

thinking of getting one of these ive had an omnia i900 for the last 9months and i hate it

EriT wrote: »
    thinking of getting one of these ive had an omnia i900 for the last 9months and i hate it

Yep I had one for a year and my good lord it drove me nuts. Hated it at the end.

loving the N900 but be warned it's no iphone. (and in my book thats a very good thing!)

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭EriT

Yep I had one for a year and my good lord it drove me nuts. Hated it at the end.

loving the N900 but be warned it's no iphone. (and in my book thats a very good thing!)

Never had or used an iPhone so wont bother me. I did how ever have an N95 and loved that infact ive had about 8 Nokia phones and never had a problem dont no why i bought this piece of crap

EriT wrote: »
    Never had or used an iPhone so wont bother me. I did how ever have an N95 and loved that infact ive had about 8 Nokia phones and never had a problem dont no why i bought this piece of crap

Funny thing is before my i900, I too had a N95! And still do have it too. really liked that one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭not_xanthor

Has anyone loaded any codecs onto the phone or will it play all formats?

Well there's a FLAC codec if that's any use to you.

Definitely an adjustment period... TBH a month later, and there's the odd time i wish i had a normal phone which does normal phone things..; like oh, a proper portrait mode... but the positives far outweigh the negatives.

Advertisement