Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia N900

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Well there's a FLAC codec if that's any use to you.

Definitely an adjustment period... TBH a month later, and there's the odd time i wish i had a normal phone which does normal phone things..; like oh, a proper portrait mode... but the positives far outweigh the negatives.

I miss portrait mode for texting on the move. Roll on PR1.2...or meego...or android... Which ever comes first!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

LoGiE wrote: »
    I miss portrait mode for texting on the move. Roll on PR1.2...or meego...or android... Which ever comes first!

I have to say that annoys me a bit too. It'd definitely be nice to have portrait texting.

I just unstalled Easy Debian there a couple of hours ago and it's freaking awesome. Just wrote a WOL script to turn on my pc remotely, and have just been playing around with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

for those who want to semd sms in portrait have you looked at vertsms? I haven't tried it yet but it looks to be making goog progress

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭Nephew

When downloading/updating apps is there an easy way to find and download all the additional files that certain apps require to function?

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Tech Overhaul

Today I got a txt from somebody and they have two mobile numbers in their contact card. I wanted to check which number they sent the txt from so I could call them back on the correct number but I couldn't do this on the n900. The only option I had was to open the contact card but this didn't help. Is there a way to do this or a setting I need to change?
    Thanks

• Advertisement

Nephew wrote: »
    When downloading/updating apps is there an easy way to find and download all the additional files that certain apps require to function?

If you install them from one of the repositories this should all be handled for you automatically.
    Today I got a txt from somebody and they have two mobile numbers in their contact card. I wanted to check which number they sent the txt from so I could call them back on the correct number but I couldn't do this on the n900. The only option I had was to open the contact card but this didn't help. Is there a way to do this or a setting I need to change?
    Thanks

Try opening the contact in the contacts application, then click on the top bar and select communication history

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭Nephew

matrim wrote: »
    If you install them from one of the repositories this should all be handled for you automatically.

Thanks, matrim. How do I exactly do this because many apps I try to download requires a shed load of extra files which I can't find when I search for them. Just take the webtext app for example, it requires a file called librtcom before I can download it but when I search the apps I can't find that particular file.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Tech Overhaul

matrim wrote: »
    Try opening the contact in the contacts application, then click on the top bar and select communication history

Thanks Matrim

Never even took notice of that before.

Nephew wrote: »
    Thanks, matrim. How do I exactly do this because many apps I try to download requires a shed load of extra files which I can't find when I search for them. Just take the webtext app for example, it requires a file called librtcom before I can download it but when I search the apps I can't find that particular file.

Actually that sounds like the SDK issue. What repositories have you enabled in the application manager?

If you have extra-devel enabled, you will get problems like that. Until PR1.2 is released you should only be using extra-testing or extras

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭podge018

RTE Player is working on my device now. It never used to. Just a heads up.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

podge018 wrote: »
    RTE Player is working on my device now. It never used to. Just a heads up.

As in it loads, or the streams actually work flawlessly?

Because it would always load for me, but the video just stutters along and is unwatchable.

I presume it's down to lack of hardware acceleration for h264 video in the version of flash on the N900.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭podge018

I watched about 3 minutes of The View fine, I was only checking though, didnt sit through a whole show.

I used to never get by the advert at the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

what is the story with video playback on this thing? i seem to get perfect playback on some episodes and a poor version on others. the frame rate seems to be about half but running full speed.

The episodes have been encoded by the same person...and its happened on more than one show.

The playback fine on my creative zen, but obviously this has the nicer screen.

also my gps no longer works while using my camera, anyone heard of that?

Hate to do this but....
    Anyone else finding this. The sickener is, that when something plays back perfectly, it blows anything else I've seen out of the water.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Anyone got bluetooth tethering working?

I can do it over cable, no problems.

I've downloaded the DUN bluethooth package, paired up, it connected, but when it gets to the part about "Registering your computer on the network" it times out.

There's no username/password needed for either direct connection on the phone, or via cable, so I am not sure what I am missing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,705 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Has anyone experienced their network dropping? It's been doing this recently on the o2 network. When I reboot signal comes back? Bloody annoying. It's set up as automatic network

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Got an email from Nokia saying some credit I have on their music store is about to expire. I topped a tenner up on it or so when I had an N95 and only bought a couple of songs. Anyway I visited the store on my N900 to use up the remaining credit:

"Nokia Music does not currently support the Mozilla Firefox (Linux) browser on your operating system"....!!!

Does anybody know how to access the Nokia Music Store on an N900? Don't tell me it's not possible.... surely not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Domscard

spockety wrote: »
    Got an email from Nokia saying some credit I have on their music store is about to expire. I topped a tenner up on it or so when I had an N95 and only bought a couple of songs. Anyway I visited the store on my N900 to use up the remaining credit:

"Nokia Music does not currently support the Mozilla Firefox (Linux) browser on your operating system"....!!!

Does anybody know how to access the Nokia Music Store on an N900? Don't tell me it's not possible.... surely not.

It seems to only support Windows :confused: so I suppose the only option is to download via PC and transfer to the N900.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

spockety wrote: »

It doesn't matter because the N900 won't play Nokia DRM file's :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Domscard

Bambi wrote: »
    It doesn't matter because the N900 won't play Nokia DRM file's :eek:

:eek::eek: and I thought I'd bought a Nokia phone ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Lads, maemo.org forum going crazy, PR1.2 is out today for UK models and tomorrow for other countries. Will be available OTA and is 179mb. Not available for me yet but hopefully tomorrow :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Thanks Stee.

All versions appear to be available from http://tablets-dev.nokia.com/nokia_N900.php
    I flash the global version and it only took about 60 secs.

Now to play with my *new* n900 ;)

Stee wrote: »
    Lads, maemo.org forum going crazy, PR1.2 is out today for UK models and tomorrow for other countries. Will be available OTA and is 179mb. Not available for me yet but hopefully tomorrow :D

I updated and everything worked fine.

Here's the changelog for anyone interested

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭Jicked

Should we just give up on hoping that for voice guidance on Ovi Maps since it's not been included in this update?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭not_xanthor

edit

Just ran Speedtest.net on the N900, getting a pretty amazing 4.13Mbps.

Nice. :D

Roll on PR 1.2 tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

Honestly, I see no difference between this and the leaked version.

Have been using the leaked version since it was out and it has been working perfectly. This version seems to be identical.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

Is Flash 10 going to be in this?

Updated, and i appear to have lost portrait mode in Micro B along the way.
    The CRTL S O trick doesn't apepar to do anything either.

...Or am i doing something wrong?

There's now a setting in the browser to enable rotation.

Also ctrl + shift + r in any app will enable rotation while it's running

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭RobbieM

Has anyone played around with the IR yet?
    I see a few programs related to IR remote control for TV's and Cameras.
    Has anyone got the n900 to work as an IR remote control?

• Advertisement

RobbieM wrote: »
    Has anyone played around with the IR yet?
    I see a few programs related to IR remote control for TV's and Cameras.
    Has anyone got the n900 to work as an IR remote control?

I have tried the TV remote program and it works fairly well.

Though I ran into to power/battery draining issues around the same time I installed the software (as in, the battery only lasting a few hours) and I never did determine if the IR software was to blame.

Advertisement