Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia N900

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

I found that the TV remote software only worked well at really close range, so not worth the hassle for me. In other news, after I dropped my N900, it's been repaired under warranty and it's on it's way back. I'm starting to forget how good it actually is..

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Well that was pretty painless.

Running 1.2 now, I actually think I missed the whole update experience :D. I have dual display on the laptop, I was working on one screen, while updating on the other. Just happened to glance at the other screen - it was done. I actually had to double-check several times to be sure.

Anyway, one tip: On the phone itself, to a backup before you do the upgrade (as in, use the backup software on the phone, not via PC Suite). When the upgrade is complete, run a restore and it will re-install all your software pretty seamlessly.

Now to start playing.....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Quick question, on PR1.2 you're supposed to be able to change the menu layout, but I can't find any way to do it. Anyone know how to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

matrim wrote: »
    Quick question, on PR1.2 you're supposed to be able to change the menu layout, but I can't find any way to do it. Anyone know how to?

Long press any of the icons in the menu.

I have to say, considering this will probably be Nokia's last major update for the phone, after playing around a bit I cant help but think 'meh'. :(

Stee wrote: »
    Long press any of the icons in the menu.

I have to say, considering this will probably be Nokia's last major update for the phone, after playing around a bit I cant help but think 'meh'. :(

Thanks.

I think the big thing about this update is QT4.6 which will hopefully allow more applications to be ported over to the phone from Symbian.

Also supposedly it fixes the ovi store problems so we can get things from there. I think the new version starts to be available from Thursday

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

+1 for the Ovi store update. I want more Angry Birds ;)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Is it my imagination or can you not actually type in URL's (with a virtual keyboard) when the browser is in portrait mode??

BAH.

spockety wrote: »
    Is it my imagination or can you not actually type in URL's (with a virtual keyboard) when the browser is in portrait mode??

BAH.

There's no portrait mode virtual keyboard.

You could try the new opera browser which has it's own portrait keyboard

matrim wrote: »
    There's no portrait mode virtual keyboard.

Pretty incredible. *sigh*

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Pretty incredible. *sigh*

It's just laziness imo. If they are going to have portrait mode, they have to have a portrait keyboard. Simple as.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

My virtual keyboard has turned all black with white letters regardless of theme used with 1.2... Something went wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Did anyone get the update via OTA on Vodafone Ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

god's toy wrote: »
    My virtual keyboard has turned all black with white letters regardless of theme used with 1.2... Something went wrong.

Similar problem with my 'X' button for exiting programs. Seems to have been damaged when loading, i.e there are some colourful pixels going on. I could re-flash, but not sure its worth the effort.

115031.png

Hmm interesting.

I know how to take a screen-shot but how do you take one with the virtual keyboard on display?

I see portrait mode works for email/im/sms, but again no portrait mode virtual keyboard.

A hideous oversight, utterly hideous.

I see portrait mode works for email/im/sms, but again no portrait mode virtual keyboard.

A hideous oversight, utterly hideous.

Is there anything you need to do to activate portrait mode for the above?

Is there anything you need to do to activate portrait mode for the above?

CTRL+SHIFT+R

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Domscard

Did anyone get the update via OTA on Vodafone Ireland?

I didn't get the little yellow notification light today so I went through the Application Update instead. I had a lot of trouble with it as it kept telling me I hadn't enough space :confused: I ended up uninstalling quite a lot of apps - even beyond the 113 mbs required for the update. When I went to check on the Maemo site, a few people there seemed to have similar problems so I just kept uninstalling apps until the PR1.2 finally allowed installation :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭not_xanthor

Updated yesterday, and now for some reason or other FMMS wont work in Havoc any more.

Anyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭goldwing

update went smoothly for me, first noticed the 'more' icon is gone and the virtual keyboard looks a bit different, also after the update I recieve a sms from Nokia saying that I'm registered and that I will now start to recieve tips, how do I stop this

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Domscard

goldwing wrote: »
    update went smoothly for me, first noticed the 'more' icon is gone and the virtual keyboard looks a bit different, also after the update I recieve a sms from Nokia saying that I'm registered and that I will now start to recieve tips, how do I stop this

Go to My Nokia, which has appeared on your Settings under General, and Unsubscribe :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Still testing out the update. Anyone tried a video skype call yet?

Just noticed that in Applications you can now type and it cuts down the list. Much easier then the old search method!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

LoGiE wrote: »
    Still testing out the update. Anyone tried a video skype call yet?
    Made one last week while on the bus from town. Had a fairly strong connection with meteor. Video was quite smooth and audio was close to perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭goldwing

yea I done one aswell seemed pretty good

goldwing wrote: »
    yea I done one aswell seemed pretty good

yep here too, Skype video calls work fine :)

Just reinstalled Kernel power and ramped up the cpu. The whole phone seems a hell of a lot faster. I guess it's the battery that needs testing next!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Anyone wondering what all the fuss was about?

A few cosmetic changes, lots of under-the-hood changes and video calls.

I can't help but feel "Is that it?"

Still lurve my phone, though. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Anyone wondering what all the fuss was about?

A few cosmetic changes, lots of under-the-hood changes and video calls.

I can't help but feel "Is that it?"

Still lurve my phone, though. :)

Yeah i know. The maemo forum is a pain to read through a lot of the time. It seems like it's full of 12 year olds that literally will give anything for the next release, and then when it comes it's a let down. I wasn't expecting all that much from this release tbh and i wasn't disappointed. I don't think my n900 seems all that faster, in fact i've noticed annoying bugs!

Has anyone noticed that when you're using the web browser, and the arrow keys to navigate around the page you're on. They seem to just send the page flying?! Push down and it starts to fly down, but then stops after a second.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

When I scroll to the bottom of my bookmarks in microB, the list goes crazy (randomly jumps up and down) and then resets to the top of the list. Very annoying.

Anyone else have this problem?

Advertisement