Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia N900

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

When I scroll to the bottom of my bookmarks in microB, the list goes crazy (randomly jumps up and down) and then resets to the top of the list. Very annoying.

Anyone else have this problem?

I had this problem and the update seems to have fixed it.

However, since the update, microb wont keep me signed into any sites. :mad:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Strange I dont seem to have those problems. I did reset the entire phone though instead on installing on top of my existing apps etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Domscard

Don't seem to have any problems either (so far) and I installed over my original settings via App Manager. All my logins remain ok.
    But, on another note, I still can't use RTE Player - I don't know what miracle I was hoping for with PR1.2 :P Is it working for anyone? I just get jerky frames and no sound. My broadband is pretty basic (2MBs) as it's all my line will take, but I can watch RTE Player on my PC no bother :confused: Youtube is perfect on the N900 too, so what's the problem?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Domscard wrote: »
    Don't seem to have any problems either (so far) and I installed over my original settings via App Manager. All my logins remain ok.
    But, on another note, I still can't use RTE Player - I don't know what miracle I was hoping for with PR1.2 :P Is it working for anyone? I just get jerky frames and no sound. My broadband is pretty basic (2MBs) as it's all my line will take, but I can watch RTE Player on my PC no bother :confused: Youtube is perfect on the N900 too, so what's the problem?

The problem is there is no hardware (GPU) acceleration for the version of Flash that is running on the N900, and the software simply isn't fast enough to render the H.264 stream very well.

Flash 10.1 brings with is GPU acceleration, but even though this platform was actually demo'd on an N900 last year, it does appear to be unlikely that we will ever see flash 10.1 on Maemo 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

spockety wrote: »
    The problem is there is no hardware (GPU) acceleration for the version of Flash that is running on the N900, and the software simply isn't fast enough to render the H.264 stream very well.

Flash 10.1 brings with is GPU acceleration, but even though this platform was actually demo'd on an N900 last year, it does appear to be unlikely that we will ever see flash 10.1 on Maemo 5.

I think you're spot on there. It's a pity as flash 10.1 would be a awesome for the device.

To improve playback you could possibly try over-clocking your N900 but I think that voids your warranty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Dear Nokia gimps,

Why did you think it was either big or clever to stick a poxy 300mb (or whatever size it is) rootfs on the n900? I can barely install anything including your maemo OS updates yet i have gbs of space on my other partitions because i dont use your phone as a media player (because it's crap for that tbh)

Is this some linux joke that us windows c**ts don't get? Cos I aint amused NO-KI-IA!!

0.jpg

Also: your app manager is brutal.

spockety wrote: »

Rats to that! Ah well, I'll live, but it IS disappointing. Do UK residents get BBC Iplayer or is it the same flash problem for them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭podge018

bit annoying that the update reset the data counter.

Domscard wrote: »
    Rats to that! Ah well, I'll live, but it IS disappointing. Do UK residents get BBC Iplayer or is it the same flash problem for them?

I've seen threads on tmo about the iplayer but never really looked into them as I can't get it. I think I read something about them having a similar problem but having some workaround to use a lower res version for the wii or something like that.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Portrait mode is sweet but the lack of a vertical keyboard is a bit ****.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 schemiedave

Hi,

I recently updated the firmware on the Nokia N900 to 1.2. I did the usual beforehand, backup apps, etc. After I updated to 1.2 I then did the restore. All seemed well. However, when I tested a few apps the only one not working was WebTexter! Ironically, it's the one I use the most since I am based abroad at the moment!

Trying to solve the problem, I repeated the above process. No success.

I then unistalled WebTexter, downloaded and re-installed. No success (I have tried this more than once).

No error message appears. The app installs alright but when I lauch WebTexter, it just sits with a blank window, with 'WebTexter' at the top as a title with the spinny icon working away. This happens for around 30secs then it reverts back to the desktop.

Has anyone else had a similar problem? I am thinking about going back to the previous firmware but that would be a last resort!

I know matrim I great with solving WebTexter problems, if you're listening, I could sure use your help!

Thanks,

Dave.

Hi,

I recently updated the firmware on the Nokia N900 to 1.2. I did the usual beforehand, backup apps, etc. After I updated to 1.2 I then did the restore. All seemed well. However, when I tested a few apps the only one not working was WebTexter! Ironically, it's the one I use the most since I am based abroad at the moment!

Trying to solve the problem, I repeated the above process. No success.

I then unistalled WebTexter, downloaded and re-installed. No success (I have tried this more than once).

No error message appears. The app installs alright but when I lauch WebTexter, it just sits with a blank window, with 'WebTexter' at the top as a title with the spinny icon working away. This happens for around 30secs then it reverts back to the desktop.

Has anyone else had a similar problem? I am thinking about going back to the previous firmware but that would be a last resort!

I know matrim I great with solving WebTexter problems, if you're listening, I could sure use your help!

Thanks,

Dave.

yeah sorry I haven't got around to working on it in a while. What you should do is reinstall from extras-devel and it will work. So uninstall, disable testing and enable devel. Then install again

The library I use to save messages to conversations was updated which causes problems running it on PR1.2 and the binary needs to be build with the new SDK.

When you install the version from devel I recommend that you disable saving sent messages as I haven't had a chance to check what will happen when you try to save with the updated library.

I hope to release a new version next week with a few small fixes and to make sure people are using the correct version.

I don't know if this will help anyone, but my Webtexter still works the same as usual after 1.2, including the saved messages to conversations. I didn't change anything or reinstall it - just lucky, I guess as it's also a frequently used application for me :) I hadn't been able to apply any flagged updates for quite a while (the SDK issue?) before 1.2 but it continued working so I left it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 schemiedave

matrim wrote: »
    yeah sorry I haven't got around to working on it in a while. What you should do is reinstall from extras-devel and it will work. So uninstall, disable testing and enable devel. .

Thanks again matrim - that worked! Boards is the place to find the answers! Thanks for the information.

I'll check back later for any updates.

Well done on the development of the app - Ir's my most used app while abroad!

Interestingly, a colleague of mine also has the N900, he did the same as me and found no problems. Strange.

Cheers,

Dave.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Stuck a Tesco sim into my N900 just to try out their data plan (€2.99 for 350mb for 7 days)

Internet fine - but not able to check pop3 emails - anyone using Tesco mobile on their N900?

Thanks.

Stuck a Tesco sim into my N900 just to try out their data plan (€2.99 for 350mb for 7 days)

Internet fine - but not able to check pop3 emails - anyone using Tesco mobile on their N900?

Thanks.

That's very good value - is it stand alone or do you have to buy a package deal? You could use Gmail to filter all your POP mail, which is what I do with my Wlan at home anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

it's a prepay deal you just text them a number and it deducts the price from your balance.

http://www.tescomobile.ie/MoneySavingBundles.aspx

I could use webmail but my n900 has 4 pop3 email accounts set up - and they work fine with a 3 sim - just not a tesco one..:(

it's a prepay deal you just text them a number and it deducts the price from your balance.

http://www.tescomobile.ie/MoneySavingBundles.aspx

I could use webmail but my n900 has 4 pop3 email accounts set up - and they work fine with a 3 sim - just not a tesco one..:(

Thanks for that.
    Gmail works directly through the N900 email widget (?) - I have 4 POP 3 email accounts and all come through automatically via one Gmail account without having to log on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭podge018

phone wont go past the nokia logo when I turn it on. Any idea what's wrong with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

podge018 wrote: »
    phone wont go past the nokia logo when I turn it on. Any idea what's wrong with it?

Sounds like it's time to reflash!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭mraie

anyone run into trouble with nokia software updater. Have installed it on vista but just keeps in starts mode and wont update my N900. Have tried re-installing a few times but have same problem, NSU start up correcly and goes into an endless loop, any ideas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

mraie wrote: »
    anyone run into trouble with nokia software updater. Have installed it on vista but just keeps in starts mode and wont update my N900. Have tried re-installing a few times but have same problem, NSU start up correcly and goes into an endless loop, any ideas?

NSU tends to act the bollox on vista and win7 64 bit machines. Works OK on linux or xp boxes though. Have you tried updating over the air

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭mraie

Stee wrote: »
    NSU tends to act the bollox on vista and win7 64 bit machines. Works OK on linux or xp boxes though. Have you tried updating over the air

thanks for that, think I have it sorted, bitdefender was causing the problem, will work if I turn off the firewall and viral scan, just have to figure out to exclude the updater exe files from bitdefender.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 john50765076

Hi everyone,

Im just wondering whether anyone can help me...I have a Nokia n900 which is a great phone (too complicated for me!) but i cannot seem to get the much anticipated firmware update which was released last week. Would it possibly be as simple as Restoring Factory settings, or deleting some apps.. i really dont know and it would be great if somebody could help.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Can't get the upgrade done at all. Keep getting this error....
    115428.JPG
    Internet is fine, no firewall & running Win7 32bit.

I've tried OTA but it tells me to do the update via NSU.

I can't say for sure what the problem is for the last two posters, but I had difficulty at first trying to update via the App Manager - have either of you tried through that? On several attempts, I was warned that there was insufficient room to install the update, which seemed a bit odd since I then proceeded to uninstall far more applications than would have seemed necessary - to no avail at first.
    Eventually however, I got lucky and the update finally installed. I checked this problem out on Maemo.org and many people had similar problems. I'm afraid I'm not technically proficient enough to explain the exact reasons, but it would appear that this had something to do with conflicts within the Root structure and applications in the various catalogues. Other people found that they had at least one application that, once uninstalled, allowed the update to go ahead. So all I can suggest is to keep uninstalling applications, rebooting and trying again. I know that reflashing is also an option - how to do that and the implications for content you have saved on the device is another matter ...

Thankyou very much for your reply. I really am puzzled, I have a number of apps downloaded courtesy of youtube's guidance re repositorys etc in so far that i have even managed to get SNES games (a flash from the past!) on the n900

When i run an update there is no maemo option at all to the new version 1.2. I am very keen to get the update as i want to play the new rollercoaster game etc!

Am i doing everything correctly? Do you think i should delete more apps or am i missing something?

Yesterday i received the usual yellow update symbol but there was no option for updating the system.

Am I reading you right - when you go to App manager and click Update there is no option to download/install PR1.2? I really don't know if uninstalling any applications will sort this out - how much of your Rootfs is used or free? I determined that in mine from the HealthCheck app I have, but I'm sure there's another way to do it. Apparently, if I'm reading things correctly, enough free space there is crucial to the new update so you may have to keep uninstalling until the balance is right. You can always reinstall them later and if you do a backup it should be fairly easily done.

I had problems with previous updates when I had quake installed. Maybe it's something like that causing issues with your update.

• Advertisement

Yes you are correct there is no option to download PR1.2. when you are in the application manager. I tried to download the Healthcheck app you mentioned but it would not start the download as there were problems it said..'Some application packages required for the installation are missing'. The phone currently has 23GB of phone memory free and 1.37GB free for installable applications. Ill delete/uninstall some applications and see if that makes a difference, hopefully its just a memory issue.

Advertisement