Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia N900

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭mraie

Sorted my firmware update problem. Could not get NSU working, steaming pile of crap, got some good tips from maemo web site. I went into the app manager and disabled all repos except nokia software update. I also uninstall brain party app.

It did nothing for NSU however the firmware is available to download OTA, worked first time, happy days. However are Nokia getting worst with each new phone they bring out in terms of support.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 john50765076

I went into application manager and disabled all repositorys except the Nokia System Software Updates.. it is still not receiving any OTA updates for the new firmware PR1.2

My n900 is still in the same situation...im just after uninstalling a load of apps. Is there anything else you could recommend to do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Domscard

My n900 is still in the same situation...im just after uninstalling a load of apps. Is there anything else you could recommend to do?

Are you rebooting between the un-installations? Also, as some have said on Maemo and Matrim here, it's not just about creating extra memory, it's finding the app that's causing a problem. Unless you want to reflash, you're stuck with uninstalling and checking, I'm afraid.
    HealthCheck clearly won't install now until the 1.2 update as it's been updated to use the new SDK with 1.2 - this was also a problem for Webtexter. Unfortunately you won't be able to install it until you've managed to download PR1.2 - chicken and egg :(

I have been uninstalling applications all day, the only remaining apps/OS i still have on the phone are...the Maemo 5 OS (cant be deleted as its system related) Modzilla Runtime, Firefox and DrNokSnes (Ill uninstall DrNokSnes as a last resort!). I have only got the Nokia System Software Update Repository as the only remaining one NOT disabled. The phone has been switched off and on numerous times...i dont know what else i can do to get this PR1.2!! Any further help would be hugely appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,550 ✭✭✭wandererz

The only way i was able to get this to update was to manually download & install the Nokia Updater software from the website and following these instructions:

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=54065

I have been uninstalling applications all day, the only remaining apps/OS i still have on the phone are...the Maemo 5 OS (cant be deleted as its system related) Modzilla Runtime, Firefox and DrNokSnes (Ill uninstall DrNokSnes as a last resort!). I have only got the Nokia System Software Update Repository as the only remaining one NOT disabled. The phone has been switched off and on numerous times...i dont know what else i can do to get this PR1.2!! Any further help would be hugely appreciated.

Sorry you're having such a difficult time :( I do know that I had to uninstall Firefox and Mozilla Runtime to get mine to work. I don't know about DrNokSnes as I didn't have that.
    Maybe try what wandererz suggested? Is this a Vodafone purchased N900? Although I use the Vodafone network, I bought the phone from O2 and some people on Maemo are blaming Vodafone for problems - maybe desperation, as not everyone with difficulties is using it.
    If all else fails, try your network provider or go to Maemo.org and ask the experts there.

Edit: I didn't disable ANY repositories at any time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Mine was not finding the OTA update last week. I uninstalled firefox and it found it and installed fine.

Thanks posters for all your help. I have just uninstalled firefox and Modzilla as the previous posters mentioned but guess what...nothing happened! I have also attempted to do what WANDERERZ posted but i became stuck at step 3.

I bought the phone the usual SIM FREE way from a fella off ebay Ireland therefore i dont know if it is Vodafone or O2..im a Vodafone user..

Ive registered with maemo.org to see if i can get a solution there..this is extremlely frustrating!

Thanks posters for all your help. I have just uninstalled firefox and Modzilla as the previous posters mentioned but guess what...nothing happened! I have also attempted to do what WANDERERZ posted but i became stuck at step 3.

I bought the phone the usual SIM FREE way from a fella off ebay Ireland therefore i dont know if it is Vodafone or O2..im a Vodafone user..

Ive registered with maemo.org to see if i can get a solution there..this is extremlely frustrating!

Maybe go the whole hog and uninstall the final application DrNokSnes - what have you got to lose at this point and you can always reinstall?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

john, i haven't really read through all your posts, but have you not reflashed yet? Simply uninstalling apps, may not bring the phone back to factory settings. The only way is a reflash imo.
    Apologies if i've missed something!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Bloody phone jack died in mine yesterday so it's off back to vodafone for repair... lets hope it doesn't take too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Interesting chat with Alberto Torres (Nokia's MeeGo guy) over here. Looks like the N900 won't be the flagship Meego phone (which is due out later this year). Harumph. Bet it won't have a physical keyboard either. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭coley

@john, what is the free space on rootfs of your device? you'll need it fairly empty before the update will download and install.
    I un-installed a heap of apps and disabled all unnecessary repos then the update went fine.

-Coley.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭OneWayBet

john, i haven't really read through all your posts, but have you not reflashed yet? Simply uninstalling apps, may not bring the phone back to factory settings. The only way is a reflash imo.
    Apologies if i've missed something!

In case it helps, here is a howto...

http://thenokiablog.com/2010/05/25/how-to-manually-update-nokia-n900-maemo-1-2/

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Sparks wrote: »
    Interesting chat with Alberto Torres (Nokia's MeeGo guy) over here. Looks like the N900 won't be the flagship Meego phone (which is due out later this year). Harumph. Bet it won't have a physical keyboard either. :(

hmm I'm sure i remember reading it wasent going to be the flagship device back in december just before i got mine... like this is only the development phase for maemo... now meego.

meego18.jpg
    I really like the look of that :) Hmmm, Xmas .... We should have a smiley for avarice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭not_xanthor

I could live w/o the physical keyboard.

If they try to fob us off with another 5MP camera on a 'high end' device however all bets are off.

/mini-rant.

• Advertisement

For anyone looking for it, Angry Birds level pack is back in Ovi store! 2 euro.

god's toy wrote: »
    For anyone looking for it, Angry Birds level pack is back in Ovi store! 2 euro.

Saw that, wonder when the other games will be added to ovi? Like the roller coaster game that was shown off MONTHS ago! Ovi is ridiculous really...

Yep but as long as that 'beta' tag is there its not going to get much better I fear.

Yep but as long as that 'beta' tag is there its not going to get much better I fear.

Ye i know, Nokia are the worst when it comes to deadlines they have made public. It's a pity really. Still love my n900 though! Best phone i've ever had.

Oh yea no question! The N900 is a fantastic device and nothing on the market can really come close to it at this point(IMO) . flaws and all I still love this kit. :)

If I could change one thing it would be to ask Nokia to ditch talk.maemo.org as being there only brings me down reading all the haters crap...

Hey if anyone knows a forum that really supporting N900/maemo and not hating it please let me know!

If I could change one thing it would be to ask Nokia to ditch talk.maemo.org as being there only brings me down reading all the haters crap...

!

Oh god yeah i know, it's impossible to read imo. Full of idiots. So much so that you can't find anything useful without having to read through a tonne of rubbish. It's full of 12 year olds. The n900 killed the maemo.org community unfortunately, i get more info here than i do there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Hey if anyone knows a forum that really supporting N900/maemo and not hating it please let me know!

Yeah, it sucks but i still read it. :rolleyes:

This thread is actually quite good for info and support though.

Anyways, a few days since the update and the only thing i've really noticed is a big improvement on battery life. Microb is still not keeping me signed into sites, and the bookmarks rubber banding bug has come back. Damn!

Definitely notice the better battery life since PR1.2 and I really like the change in the one-step browser back button - seems faster all round. Having said that, there's not much else that affects me one way or the other - oh, the ability to use the credit update number on Vodafone (can't remember the name of that change).
    I'm disappointed about the lack of voice guidance on Ovi maps, but I knew it wasn't going to happen from the Maemo forum. The portrait browsing I can take or leave - with the keyboard where it is, it's a bit defunct. I still read the stuff on Maemo.org, but I find it depressing too - full of hype, doom and gloom at times. I really want to learn more about the inner workings of the N900 though and I can't find much anywhere else.
    This thread and the many expert posters who respond are the best :)

I really can't say i've noticed a huge bump in battery life tbh. I still just about get 2 days with light enough usage, couple of calls, some web browsing and a bit of messing about with it! I might reflash again as i may have installed something that's countering any benefits that PR1.2 brought.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

I really can't say i've noticed a huge bump in battery life tbh. I still just about get 2 days with light enough usage, couple of calls, some web browsing and a bit of messing about with it! I might reflash again as i may have installed something that's countering any benefits that PR1.2 brought.

2 days is impressive as is. Until the update I was getting 1 day, 6.30am til 11pm, maybe a day and a half max. Now Im up to 2 days.

Advertisement