Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia N900

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 john50765076

Domscard wrote: »
    It seems there's no choice but to flash, I'm afraid :( I can understand your concerns - it looks a bit daunting to me too, but everyone here and on Maemo seems to recommend it. Back up your information and contacts (transfer to your PC for surety) and bite the bullet is all you can do. Did you check again to make sure the update is not in the App Manager when you click on Update? Don't mean to be insulting you, but maybe it just won't come in OTA. Mine didn't - I had to install via Update.

Hi thanks for your ongoing help but it does not exist when i enter the update option at all. I dont have a clue how to flash so i probably have no choice but to send it to Nokia or that place on Georges st think its called FM Mobiles...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Right gents i've finally decided to overclock my n900, at first to 850, but now i have it at 805(850 made it heat up too much!). I must say the speed improvement really is noticable when browsing flash intensive sites. Even just browsing through menus is much faster!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Domscard

Hi thanks for your ongoing help but it does not exist when i enter the update option at all. I dont have a clue how to flash so i probably have no choice but to send it to Nokia or that place on Georges st think its called FM Mobiles...

Have you tried getting the update via the Nokia Software Updater on your PC? Make sure you have the latest version of NSU and connect the USB cable directly (not through a hub). Some people have found this works.
    Failing that, I would have a go at flashing using directions from some of the posts on Maemo - there's one referenced further back on this thread. I've looked at the steps and if I were in your shoes I would have a go myself - think of the learning experience :)
    I know nothing about shops that might do this - or how much they will charge. I could be wrong, but I doubt if Nokia would do it. Maybe someone else on here knows what other options there are for you? Or someone who lives near you who might oblige?

Have you tried getting the update via the Nokia Software Updater on your PC? Make sure you have the latest version of NSU and connect the USB cable directly (not through a hub). Some people have found this works.
    Failing that, I would have a go at flashing using directions from some of the posts on Maemo - there's one referenced further back on this thread. I've looked at the steps and if I were in your shoes I would have a go myself - think of the learning experience :)
    I know nothing about shops that might do this - or how much they will charge. I could be wrong, but I doubt if Nokia would do it. Maybe someone else on here knows what other options there are for you? Or someone who lives near you who might oblige?

Thanks very much for your continued help on this. Ive attempted the Nokia Software Update by hooking up with the USB to the Nokia Website and it states that i already have the latest software on the phone. Its all very frustrating and coupled with my lack of knowledge when it comes to flashing makes me feel like ****in the phone under the nearest truck!!

I even called into the Nokia shop on Grafton st (they have a temporary roadshow type shop situated there for a few weeks beside McDonalds) I the staff there had never even seen the phone before!

If there is anybody out there that could update the phone for me i would be very grateful and would travel anywhere in Dublin etc. How is the phone working now compared to the previous firmware version btw? Is the rollercoaster game available?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

Right gents i've finally decided to overclock my n900, at first to 850, but now i have it at 805(850 made it heat up too much!). I must say the speed improvement really is noticable when browsing flash intensive sites. Even just browsing through menus is much faster!

Just got my N900 back , interested to overclock, what % capacity is the processer currently running at?

Is there really noticeable speed increase in the menus? Any significant battery drain?

• Advertisement

funkyflea wrote: »
    Just got my N900 back , interested to overclock, what % capacity is the processer currently running at?

Is there really noticeable speed increase in the menus? Any significant battery drain?

Still testing it out really, i haven't made any permanent changes just yet, just overclocking on the fly so i can return to the stock if needs be.
    Everything seems more responsive, the menus are quicker, the browser is quicker it doesn't seem to "stutter" as much as it used too (Not that it was bad before mind!).
    Currently i have the max mhz set to 805mhz and it idles at 250mhz as it does when stock. And as for the battery life, i was testing it out yesterday for a good while, ie loading the cpu a lot to see how hot it got! And i still have 40% charge this morning. So it would appear that it hasn't affected it all that much.

Thanks very much for your continued help on this. Ive attempted the Nokia Software Update by hooking up with the USB to the Nokia Website and it states that i already have the latest software on the phone. Its all very frustrating and coupled with my lack of knowledge when it comes to flashing makes me feel like ****in the phone under the nearest truck!!

I even called into the Nokia shop on Grafton st (they have a temporary roadshow type shop situated there for a few weeks beside McDonalds) I the staff there had never even seen the phone before!

If there is anybody out there that could update the phone for me i would be very grateful and would travel anywhere in Dublin etc. How is the phone working now compared to the previous firmware version btw? Is the rollercoaster game available?

Wish I could help more, but I live in Donegal, not to mention that it would be a bit like the blind leading the blind - I do plan to flash my phone sometime just for the experience though. That's mad that the Nokia shop never saw a 900 before :eek:
    I like a few of the new things about PR1.2 - don't know anything about the games though, as I think the Ovi store update hasn't happened and is still in Beta.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

I don't suppose anyone knows of a reputable retailer in Dublin where you could buy an N900 with a decent warranty on it? I definitely want to get one, but I want to be able to walk down the road for a repair in case the earpiece speaker goes kaput...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭not_xanthor

Touchscreen is more repsonsive. Battery life is a bit better.

Based on my experience with Maemo Flasher, updating the f/w is actually pretty straight forward. Litterally just a matter of typing (or pasting) a command, and making sure the program and the firmware are in the same folder. Then hit enter, wait until it's done.

Since i don't have a laptop, i'm unfortunately not really in a position to offer to meet you and flash it for you.

There's plenty of 'How tos' outthere, on Maemo forums, and i think on Youtube too.

hat's mad that the Nokia shop never saw a 900 before :eek:

Considering that at least one network in this country doesn't sell it at retail, i'm not remotely surprised. A large chunk of people think i'm dragging around a 5800 until they see me open it, at which point they think it's an N97.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Sparks wrote: »
    I don't suppose anyone knows of a reputable retailer in Dublin where you could buy an N900 with a decent warranty on it? I definitely want to get one, but I want to be able to walk down the road for a repair in case the earpiece speaker goes kaput...

You can still walk down the road if this happens. Just go to any Nokia repair centre.

• Advertisement

Considering that at least one network in this country doesn't sell it at retail
    Sodding Meteor :(

Sodding Meteor :(

Specifically, i was referring to the fact that VF only offer it online.

Specifically, i was referring to the fact that VF only offer it online.
    At least they offer it. Meteor won't be offering the N900 at all (nor the HTC Desire, nor even the iPhone).

At least they offer it. Meteor won't be offering the N900 at all (nor the HTC Desire, nor even the iPhone).

Que?

https://phones.meteor.ie/phones/htc_desire/#/in_all_phones

But if you're out of contract, and want to get an N900 domestically, i'm sure VF would be quite happy to relieve you of some cash.

Sorry, that was the iPhone plans I linked to there. They don't plan to range the Desire for PAYG accounts - bill pay can get them.

n/m

i'm sure VF would be quite happy to relieve you of some cash.
    As a retail sale without an account?
    Somehow I can see VF being willing to do that for around €600 or so, but I can't see them having a reasonable price :D

As a retail sale without an account?
    Somehow I can see VF being willing to do that for around €600 or so, but I can't see them having a reasonable price :D

TBH, the idea of an N900 being used outside of a contract didn't occur to me.

TBH, the idea of an N900 being used outside of a contract didn't occur to me.
    Well, if you're stuck in a contract with a provider who's not planning on carrying the N900, you'd have to do that...

Why not just buy a prepay N900 from a local O2 store? You have the local option 'just down the road', the company that is big enough not to go bust and, coupled with a strategic knowledge of the Sale of Goods Act, you should be as covered as you're ever going to be.
    I bought mine online from O2 (don't have much of anything local to me) and I see that they're €499 there now. I am actually a Vodafone customer, but O2 didn't create any problems for me buying it with my credit card. Mind you, I suppose they thought I was going to be a new customer (that was my initial plan) but I had some problems getting information on roaming texting rates and I just stayed with Vodafone :) The phone was unlocked and unbranded, so happy days all round.

• Advertisement

That sounds like a pretty decent idea to me. Even if my wallet is weeping at the thought of spending €500 on a phone.

/repeats to self "It's a netbook, it's a netbook, it's a netbook"

That sounds like a pretty decent idea to me. Even if my wallet is weeping at the thought of spending €500 on a phone.

/repeats to self "It's a netbook, it's a netbook, it's a netbook"

You're worth it - I mean the .. er .. netbook is worth it! Whatever :)

lol!

Touchscreen is more repsonsive. Battery life is a bit better.

Based on my experience with Maemo Flasher, updating the f/w is actually pretty straight forward. Litterally just a matter of typing (or pasting) a command, and making sure the program and the firmware are in the same folder. Then hit enter, wait until it's done.

Since i don't have a laptop, i'm unfortunately not really in a position to offer to meet you and flash it for you.

There's plenty of 'How tos' outthere, on Maemo forums, and i think on Youtube too.

Considering that at least one network in this country doesn't sell it at retail, i'm not remotely surprised. A large chunk of people think i'm dragging around a 5800 until they see me open it, at which point they think it's an N97.

Thanks for your advice...reckon ill just have to get someone somewhere to work their magic on the 900 as i havent a clue when it comes to the technical issues (commands etc) It seems im the only person in the country with the problem!!

Thanks for your advice...reckon ill just have to get someone somewhere to work their magic on the 900 as i havent a clue when it comes to the technical issues (commands etc) It seems im the only person in the country with the problem!!

I bet you're not! Keep plugging away here and somebody is bound to take pity and offer to help. Is there a Dublin expert in the house. Or does a grey-haired granny need to get the express bus down from Donegal? :D

I've never had to use the flasher before either, but there are plenty of guides online, even if it seems daunting i'd still be inclined to give it a go at least!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

be wary with updating via the PC software..it bricked my phone when i first got it. Had to use the flasher to get it back

• Registered Users Posts: 3,705 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Using the N900 Radio and eats up battery using bluetooth. Have the earphones that came with the phone. I cannot change the radio through the headset only via the phone. Tried looking for an application that could utilise the headphone via file manager called headset control. Downloaded it and radio did not work so removed it

Anyone see any application that can change the radio station via the headset ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Mr Macphisto

Hi, I am very tempted to buy get the N900 but I still have a few issues/questions.

I currently am using my old N95 8gb (which I loved) as my n97 is being repaired for scratches on the lens. It was also giving me memory errors. I like the n97 but sometimes is it slow.

I know there's a lot of under the bonnet work with the N900 which I don't mind.

Is the camera and video the same or better than the n95/n97?

Can it be used in portrait mode for certain aspects eg txting? (Will need to use phone with one hand because the kids are a hand full)

Someone has told me that meego will be the new os of future phones and the n900 will not be supported?

Would anyone hold out for the N8 instead?

The oh has a gold upgrade with o2 and I can get the n900 for €369, but I have also trade in my N97 for €150 with the carphone WH. (I can get €100 for the N95 8gb, but I'm holding on to that)

Thanks

• Advertisement

Hi, I am very tempted to buy get the N900 but I still have a few issues/questions.

First up, it's much faster than the N97. I had one... plenty of times i just wanted to lob the bloddy thing out the window.

... but i'm not sure if the Camera is quite as good as on the N97. (anyone?)

Straight out of the box... no it doesn't do portrait texting. There is an application called Vertsms which you can install though.

I should also mention, it doesn't do MMS straight out of the box either.

There's an application called FMMS,... but it's a little sluggish.

Meego-wise, Nokia have been fairly vocal on their intention that the N900 is a stepping stone on the way to something else, so no Meego support IIRC,

I can only speak from my own viewpoint, but the N95 wasn't that responsive, and the N97 was sluggish. However faster it's claimed to be, (n8) i wouldn't touch a Symbian phone ever again.

I'm not sure if 369 is the best price you can get it for at this point... but that might involve switching networks, and buying it say from VF who only sell it online.

Trade in wise, you don't necessarily have to trade it in at a shop.... Money for your mobile gave me 183 odd for my n97 a month ago.
    That price may have come down now, but they'd probably still come close to CPW.

Advertisement