Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia N900

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

if this is the case nokia can FU*K OFF. not only has it been pushed back like three seperate times its never official from nokia and is just guess work.

I understand that its not nokia that said the 16th but MobilePhonesDirect (NokiaRetail) so it could just be the 16th for them as they sell contract phones and not sim free ones and most of the time contract phones are out later then sim free ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Thor wrote: »
    if this is the case nokia can FU*K OFF. not only has it been pushed back like three seperate times its never official from nokia and is just guess work.

I understand that its not nokia that said the 16th but MobilePhonesDirect (NokiaRetail) so it could just be the 16th for them as they sell contract phones and not sim free ones and most of the time contract phones are out later then sim free ones.

I think you're overreacting a bit. I'd rather a couple of week delay than a device that comes out with a big bug

• Registered Users Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Yeah my patience wearing thin with the date been pushed back all the time:mad: but it better be that they are fixing the bugs / firmware:confused:

Anywho here are some youtube clips i cannot embed using youtube embed tab:confused:

Settings

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVCZ3f8-AhI&feature=player_profilepage

Email, SMS, and IM on the N900

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tktVfOmROM&feature=player_profilepage

Conference calling on the Nokia N900

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNxULgpHWmU&feature=player_profilepage

Phone functionality of Nokia N900

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPdgF2axNdU&feature=player_profilepage

Web browser on the Nokia N900

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5s9lqnQu48&feature=player_profilepage

General walkthrough the Nokia N900 Internet Tablet

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m30v7FAoyXI&feature=player_profilepage

Camera app and media player on the Nokia N900

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ey5Z8PX1LbI&feature=player_profilepage

Contacts, calendar, and tasks on the Nokia N900

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAk9dY-RAl4&feature=player_profilepage

Loaded games on the N900

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6WrgS3pwt0&feature=player_profilepage

matrim wrote: »
    I think you're overreacting a bit. I'd rather a couple of week delay than a device that comes out with a big bug

yeah i suppose i am. i just need some way to vent.

still when i look at it its pretty bad.

good point. nokia are trying not to make the same mistake they did with the n97 by making sure the firmware on this isnt riddled with bugs.

bad point. if thats the case they are going to keep pushing it back as they have done multiple times already. its pretty bad to say its coming out in october and push it to november near the end of november without reason.

most people who are buying the n900 are n97/ex-n97 owners(me) and waiting around for an offcial release date is just really annoying.

if nokia say november 16th is the offical release date then so be it but they havent and just said november so it could be anytime in november we will see the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭foobar

Guys unreal news .. Vodafone gettting the n900 - see here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

foobar wrote: »
    Vodafone...........N900........Linux...........Does not compute:confused:
    Great news though.Networks starting to pull their finger out :cool:

I'm not with Vodafone and don't plan to switch so doesn't matter to me. But it is good news because the more people using the platform means more support and better apps etc, so hopefully they push it and it takes off

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭joedumper

what do you guys reckon will be the deal with vodafone subsidising the phone ?
    did they do much for the n97 at the time ?

and do ye reckon they'll release it around the same time as the general sim-free release ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭PADRAIC.M

yahoo! Fantastic news glad i held off buyin it online now!

that is pretty damn good news if you ask me.

vodafone only a few months ago were being laughed at for not having any decent phones for sale and now they are going to have iphone and n900. fair play to you vodafone for getting your act together.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

The n97 mini too

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Before ye get carried away remember that Vodafone haven't announced the dates or the pricing for any of these phones.

They seem to have a terrible habit of announcing things without any concrete details.

parsi wrote: »
    Before ye get carried away remember that Vodafone haven't announced the dates or the pricing for any of these phones.

They seem to have a terrible habit of announcing things without any concrete details.

Party Pooper!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭joedumper

Thats true,
    but in fairness no-one has any concrete dates for when the n900 will actually be available... not even Nokia themselves !

However, I wouldn't expect Voda to have it at the same time as the sim-free devices ship.

I think i'll be sticking with my preorder anyway, unless vodafone come out with a reasonable date / price before amazon get their shipment.

joedumper wrote: »
    Thats true,
    but in fairness no-one has any concrete dates for when the n900 will actually be available... not even Nokia themselves !

However, I wouldn't expect Voda to have it at the same time as the sim-free devices ship.

I think i'll be sticking with my preorder anyway, unless vodafone come out with a reasonable date / price before amazon get their shipment.

It depends on what Vodafone want to do with it. If they want to ship the device as is then they will have it with the sim-free ones, but more than likely they will want to add some crap branding software to it which will delay it

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭lunacyfoundme

I dont think Nokia are allowing anyone to brand or install stuff on the N900.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

I don't think that's true about the branding. There was a rumour about it, but it was said to be false soon after.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭lunacyfoundme

If that's true then I'll def be sticking wit my online order.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

But i would imagine if you can get a root shell up no problem, it should be a doddle to flash what you like onto it.
    Time will tell I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

Thinking of selling the N97 already for one of these, these look amazing.

Would a US version work over here?

They seem to be a good bit cheaper to buy. Would the only issue by the charger, I'm guessing it's triband?

Edit: seems to be quadband

Seems the differences would be keyboard layout, wifi hardware uses channels 1-11 instead of 1-13, is there a different 3G frequency?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Does this have portrait T9 text entry for texts and so on?

SIM Free UK £449/€489

Sim free's down near the bottom. Plus 3 months mobile insurance. Royal mail next day delivery £3.99

Can't seem to see any release date/stock levels but it's a legit site.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

funkyflea wrote: »
    Thinking of selling the N97 already for one of these, these look amazing.

Would a US version work over here?

They seem to be a good bit cheaper to buy. Would the only issue by the charger, I'm guessing it's triband?

Edit: seems to be quadband

Seems the differences would be keyboard layout, wifi hardware uses channels 1-11 instead of 1-13, is there a different 3G frequency?

Dont forget about the import tax that i have no doubt they will hit you with.

How much would that work out at? $50-$75? Hmm. Not sure now.

I'm confused about the frequency bands for 3G though. Maybe not worth it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Does this have portrait T9 text entry for texts and so on?

It doesn't have a T9 function, its not a phone but someone could develop one for it :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

And I am out. Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭kerno

Hmmmm Im undecided N97 VS N900

if i could choose again, i'd probably go with the n900. But not sure how it handles as a phone.. n97 doesn't feel powerful enough. (posting this from n97)

Just sold my N97 for €450.. :)

So where's the best place to get an N900?

• Advertisement

clove.co.uk(cheapest place that has it)
    expansys.co.uk(cheaper than expansys.ie)
    phonesonline.ie
    Amazon.co.uk(shopireland.ie)

Advertisement