Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia N900

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Four of a kind

downloaded the "fmms" app and have to set up NPN config with the following areas needing to be filled in:

Access point name:
    username
    password
    Proxy
    Proxy port
    MMSC

Anyone know how i find these out? I'm with o2 on PAYG.

cheers.

is it possible to get a mobile internet add on with o2 on prepay?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭not_xanthor

bedlam wrote: »
    There's now a 3rd party system wide portrait keyboard, can be found in extras-devel
    downloaded the "fmms" app and have to set up NPN config with the following areas needing to be filled in:

http://wiki.maemo.org/MMS#O2_Ireland

Connection Name: O2 MMS POSTPAY
    Connection Type: Packet Data
    Access Point Name: wap.dol.ie
    User Name: user
    Password: user
    Prompt password at every login: Unchecked
    Use Proxy: checked (yes)
    HTTP Proxy: 62.40.32.40
    Port Number: 8080
    MMSC: http://mmsc.mms.o2.ie:8002
    Resize Image: Medium (320)
    Phone Number: (Your Phone Number)

since i'm not on 02, im going to hazzard a guess that connection name has to be changed to something like prepay.

thanks...got it working. I see that it sends the msg using the wap.....so am i charged for sending a mms messege as well as charged for using wap??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

thanks...got it working. I see that it sends the msg using the wap.....so am i charged for sending a mms messege as well as charged for using wap??

I believe it uses mms connection(which looks like a wap connection)

Yes you will be charged for sending an mms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 john50765076

My n900 has still not received the latest firmware, has anybody out there successfully managed to flash their phone and perhaps want to flash mine? I will travel etc...

• Advertisement

Anyone know how I get my phone contacts from a N900 transfered over to an iphone??

Cheers

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Anyone know how I get my phone contacts from a N900 transfered over to an iphone??

Cheers

Why would one want to do such a hideous thing? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Cheers

How about sync'ing with Outlook?

spockety wrote: »
    Why would one want to do such a hideous thing? ;)

lol! Tbh i've had the N900 since Jan, and while its a super device, i think most of its capabilities have gone over my head. I'm not that technical when it comes to phones.

So i iphone 4 may not be on the same level as the n900, but to me it will be simplier to use and will allow me to send my group texts(which is paramount to my poker business).

Anyone wanting to buy a perfectly working N900 in excellent condition with zagg shield on it..let me know! ;);)

lol! Tbh i've had the N900 since Jan, and while its a super device, i think most of its capabilities have gone over my head. I'm not that technical when it comes to phones.

So i iphone 4 may not be on the same level as the n900, but to me it will be simplier to use and will allow me to send my group texts(which is paramount to my poker business).

Anyone wanting to buy a perfectly working N900 in excellent condition with zagg shield on it..let me know! ;);)

What price are we talking here, A friend of mine may be interested. Also you can always send your group texts online no?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Has anyone here install Android 2.1 on there device?

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Deerspotter

I have one like new with box and all accessories, PM me with a real offer if you are interested.
    It does not meet my requirements.
    Back to the trusty old N95

Thor wrote: »
    What price are we talking here, A friend of mine may be interested. Also you can always send your group texts online no?

I have an offer for €300 for it, and to be honest I was'nt going to go higher or lower on that.
    Its an unlocked version that I got off expansys.ie

I love it, but i aint no programmer to get the best use out of it :(

pm me if you want to talk more.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭OneWayBet

LoGiE wrote: »

I'm very tempted.... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Guys, can we keep all buying and selling to PM or adverts.ie please. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Will17869

Right gents i've finally decided to overclock my n900, at first to 850, but now i have it at 805(850 made it heat up too much!). I must say the speed improvement really is noticable when browsing flash intensive sites. Even just browsing through menus is much faster!

I'm thinking about overclocking too.
    Does the higher speed help much with the www.rte.ie/live stream? On a regular N900 the audio is fine, but the video is very jerky and is 10 to 20 seconds behind the audio.
    How hot does it get after a few minutes of this?
    Was the cpu undervolted when 850MHz was too hot?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

When I browse to http://www.rte.ie/live on the phone's browser I don't see the "play" buttons for the video. Are you using the default browser for it or something else?
    Will17869 wrote: »
    Does the higher speed help much with the www.rte.ie/live stream? On a regular N900 the audio is fine, but the video is very jerky and is 10 to 20 seconds behind the audio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Will17869

dregin wrote: »
    When I browse to http://www.rte.ie/live on the phone's browser I don't see the "play" buttons for the video. Are you using the default browser for it or something else?

Yes, it's the standard MicroB browser.
    Sometimes the page needs a reload, but usually works first time.
    I think it didn't work a while back but has been fine during the world-cup (though not very watchable.)
    I'm on PR1.2 and the only thing I can think of that's installed and might be relevant is the Extra Decoders Support. This recently updated, however the live stream worked before that.
    Have only checked it on WiFi.

Will17869 wrote: »

I have mine clocked at 900/250 using PowerKernel. Works a charm, I figure if I get a couple of years out of it before it burns i'll be finished with it by then anyway.

OneWayBet wrote: »
    I'm very tempted.... :D

Well I went for it. The information is all over the place so I wouldn't recommend it yet unless you are comfortable with UNIX, mounting filesystems, flashing etc.

The thing that took lots of time for me is I didn't have bootmenu installed. After that, wifi doesnt work until you reboot again, and you need to add the android.etc.item file /etc/bootmenu.d.

Using the main discussion page on Maemo talk, page 1 has a link to the files (rootfs and kernel), page 30 has the 'howto'. If stuck try #nitdroid on IRC and if you're lucky steve will be on.

Havent had much time to play with it yet, first impressions are that it's a bit slow, touchscreen has calibration issues and of course the phone doesnt work. Still its really good progress and no doubt lots more to come soon.

• Advertisement

I might sit tight until there is a version with phone functionality so. Hopefully the people working on it stick with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I might sit tight until there is a version with phone functionality so. Hopefully the people working on it stick with it!

Actually, who is working on it? Any links?

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Actually, who is working on it? Any links?

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?p=717286#post717286

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭manster

Just checked my Vodafone bill and noticed a premium txt charge of 0.0909 cents. It was on the day that I updated to v1.2.

Did a bit of research and the txt goes to Nokia.

I don't mind Nokia sending me a sms. But I do mind if they make MY phone send THEM a sms! It's not the fact that I get charged for the sms but I feel that I was conned during the upgrade as usually I don't allow marketing calls / txts etc.

Maemo thread here

manster wrote: »
    Just checked my Vodafone bill and noticed a premium txt charge of 0.0909 cents. It was on the day that I updated to v1.2.

I don't mind Nokia sending me a sms. But I do mind if they make MY phone send THEM a sms! It's not the fact that I get charged for the sms but I feel that I was conned during the upgrade as usually I don't allow marketing calls / txts etc.

Maemo thread here

Yes this was widely condemned by the community. It was worse for me as I was roaming at the time and registered/unregistered a few times to try to figure out what the point of it was! However like all 3Pay customers I have no idea what it costed me as 3 charge 15 euro for a statement!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

manster wrote: »

Maemo thread here

I remember something similar with Symbian phones

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Right; i've decided that overclocking is essential now. I've been running my N900 at a stable 850mhz max for the last couple of weeks and it really is great. Everything is so much snappier, i didn't think it would make as much of a difference. I only really noticed how much faster it is when i forgot to OC upon rebooting and it seemed very slow navigating menus, switching between desktops everything.
    And as for battery life, i've noticed very little difference at all. I still get 2 days with light usage, some browsing, calls and messing about. And if i leave the phone with wap connected all day it will just about make it the full day.

Here's hoping i don't fry the cpu!

Right; i've decided that overclocking is essential now. I've been running my N900 at a stable 850mhz max for the last couple of weeks and it really is great. Everything is so much snappier, i didn't think it would make as much of a difference. I only really noticed how much faster it is when i forgot to OC upon rebooting and it seemed very slow navigating menus, switching between desktops everything.
    And as for battery life, i've noticed very little difference at all. I still get 2 days with light usage, some browsing, calls and messing about. And if i leave the phone with wap connected all day it will just about make it the full day.

You could easily get it to 950 without frying it. Mine works perfectly and doesn't overheat at all.

Ok all this talk with overclocking the n900 is getting me mad.

Had trouble the last time i was trying to do it(that was when it first came out and overclocking was very skeptical at best)

So can anyone help me do it. pm if you anyone can.

Thanks

• Advertisement

For anyone who isn't familiar with it or is worried about it, I think it's important to point out that the processor speed is variable and it is only when the power is needed that the processor will ramp up beyond 600mhz.
    I clock mine to 900/250 (max 900, min 250). The overclocking thread on maemo.org has a script that shows the stats, typically if the phone is mostly on standby in your pocket you will be running at 250mhz at least 75% of the time and > 600% at 10% or so.

Advertisement