Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia N900

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭OneWayBet

Thor wrote: »
    Ok all this talk with overclocking the n900 is getting me mad.

Had trouble the last time i was trying to do it(that was when it first came out and overclocking was very spectical at best)

So can anyone help me do it. pm if you anyone can.

Thanks

Have you checked out the overclocking thread?

http://wiki.maemo.org/Overclocking#Installation_of_titan.27s_enhanced_kernels

I've only used Titan's kernel which allows you to change the max speed at runtime.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Thor wrote: »
    Ok all this talk with overclocking the n900 is getting me mad.

Had trouble the last time i was trying to do it(that was when it first came out and overclocking was very spectical at best)

So can anyone help me do it. pm if you anyone can.

Thanks

This seems to be a walkthrough

http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p=595582&postcount=774

I haven't tried yet myself, maybe this weekend. What kernal are people using? The one for extras, testing or devel

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

OneWayBet wrote: »
    Have you checked out the overclocking thread?

http://wiki.maemo.org/Overclocking#Installation_of_titan.27s_enhanced_kernels

I've only used Titan's kernel which allows you to change the max speed at runtime.

Thanks for the info
    matrim wrote: »
    This seems to be a walkthrough

http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p=595582&postcount=774

I haven't tried yet myself, maybe this weekend. What kernal are people using? The one for extras, testing or devel

Had no idea they made it so simple!!

overclocking done!!

have it at 850mhz and its running nice and fast!!

Thanks for all the help guys!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭not_xanthor

I'm up to 900.. but i want MORE. Want. Not need.

Has anyone here pushed it to a gig or higher?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Alright, i pushed it to a gig there. I'll report back later!

EDIT: you only really notice the heat when you push the processor for prolonged periods. Like if you're gaming on it or something. Otherwise it's fine.

• Advertisement

Overclocked there too. Very easy and it does make things feel smoother.

I went for the ideal configuration but will play around a bit later.

Does anyone have a quick shortcut to enable \ disable the overclocking?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

I don't have it myself but i saw a screenshot before of someone with widgets that allowed him to not just turn the overclocking on and off but to change the speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

So I uninstalled one of the advanced kernels yesterday. Rebooted a short while after and now the device is in some sort of reboot loop with each cycle lasting 5 or so seconds. Only way to power it off is to remove the battery.

Anyone got any ideas? I don't have access to a laptop so haven't searched online.

So I uninstalled one of the advanced kernels yesterday. Rebooted a short while after and now the device is in some sort of reboot loop with each cycle lasting 5 or so seconds. Only way to power it off is to remove the battery.

Anyone got any ideas? I don't have access to a laptop so haven't searched online.

You'll probably have to reflash to fix it

Well after a few hours of running it at 1ghz all i'll say is that it is incredibly fast. Whether it is much better than 850 im not so sure. But i love how fast web browsing is, its lightning fast, honestly cant believe it. And another thing i noticed is that you can run the music player with multiple web pages open without the music stuttering as it did before.
    Nice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Thanks to you lot I overclocked mine last night, it really is simple and a 5 minute job. Mine was rebooting as soon as I'd load the ideal settings but is wolrking fine when I use the next setting down and set the limit to 850 max. Sure is a lot faster and more slick and I havent noticed any problem with battery life or heat.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭OneWayBet

If anyone wants to give Android (NITDroid) a go the guys have created a wiki making the installation much easier http://wiki.nitdroid.com/index.php?title=N900-install

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

matrim wrote: »
    You'll probably have to reflash to fix it

I figured as much alright. It even keeps rebooting when I connect the USB cable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭not_xanthor

Clicked on 'unsubscribe' on the My Nokia thing earlier.

Got a text message saying i'd failed to unsubscribe.

Priceless.

Priceless.

Got the same myself.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Anyone know how to get newstalk working through the net radio player?
    It has an address of http://media.newstalk.ie/live_stream/ which the n900 says isn't supported.

Most other Irish staions are like the link below and work perfectly.
    http://audiostore.todayfm.com/audio/todayfm3.asx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

LoGiE wrote: »
    Anyone know how to get newstalk working through the net radio player?
    It has an address of http://media.newstalk.ie/live_stream/ which the n900 says isn't supported.

Most other Irish staions are like the link below and work perfectly.
    http://audiostore.todayfm.com/audio/todayfm3.asx

Try this one - http://links.fmstreams.com/audio/newstalk.asx

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Stee wrote: »

Perfect! Thanks for that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭goldwing

Priceless.

that happened to me aswell it turned out I was already unsubscribed thats why that message saying you failed comes through.
    just to see then I hit subscribe and then went back and hit unsubscribe and the message comes back saying it was sucessful, try it and see sure whats the harm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭podge018

my phone was with Nokia for a while being repaired, they couldn't fix it so gave me a replacement. Couple of problems.

I'm looking at a webpage, I add a shortcut to that page to my desktop. Later I try to use that shortcut to go online and it wont connect. If I type the address it does connect though.

It wasn't up to date with the latest software. I go to update and it wont download over my wifi, I get the downloading latest software message but nothing's happening.

So I reckon there could be some internet settings issue here. Can somebody tell me the correct settings to put in the advanced tab, I can't find them without going through 130 odd pages or whatever it is. I'm using a netopia.

Thanks a lot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭manster

i assume you mean advanced tab on the n900. if so for my wifi, the following advanced settings are used:
    Proxies-Use Proxy-Unticked
    IP Address-Auto Retrieve IP Address-Ticked
    IP Address-Auto Retrieve dns-Ticked

Id try and delete your wifi on the n900 and start again. all you should need to enter is your wifi password and the n900 rememebers the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭PADRAIC.M

in advanced go to ip addresses and change your primary dns to 8.8.8.8 and change your secondary dns to 8.8.4.4

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

The fecking week after halifax closes and my visa debit card becomes unavailable.
    Must apply to ulster bank...

Sparks wrote: »
    The fecking week after halifax closes and my visa debit card becomes unavailable.
    Must apply to ulster bank...

Im selling mine at the minute (this is not an advert!) and going to the iDark side. The price of the N900 is just plummeting so gonna shift it before the N9 arrives and price lowers further.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭donkey balls

Stee wrote: »
    Im selling mine at the minute (this is not an advert!) and going to the iDark side. The price of the N900 is just plummeting so gonna shift it before the N9 arrives and price lowers further.

im thinking of going to the iDark side:D as well depending on what new mobiles 3 bring out,im using the n97 at the moment and have to say after all the crap with dodgy firmware updates the phone with new firmware is working well.

i might wait till this n9 comes out accoding to a website it could have a 64gb hardrive.

Bring on the price drop says I :D
    The N9 isn't much more than marketing vapourware right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭MICKEYG

Rapidly losing patience with the e-mail on this phone.
    Mfefolders wont work for me - I logged a ticket in Maemo.org back in March but no update as of yet.
    Widget is not great. It has a settings button which does not seem to be active.
    when in the mail app, scrolling through the mails is very slow.
    The sent box does not seem to sync, only shows the mails actually sent from the phone, not those sent from Outlook or indeed the web.

Any news on an update for the app whereby I can set the folders that I want synced - currently syncing all which is taking forever. As I said above, Mfefolders does not work for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭MICKEYG

Anyone know of an app that would allow you to use Microsoft Communicator on the N900?

Advertisement