Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia N900

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭podge018

just using foreca weather for the first time. I set it to update manually, but how do I update it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Domscard

podge018 wrote: »
    just using foreca weather for the first time. I set it to update manually, but how do I update it?

Settings menu at the top of the screen. I let mine update automatically. I like the app a lot, although it's mostly accurate only a few days in advance. The nearest set location is a good 30 miles from me, so maybe a tad off betimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I just thought i'd report back again with my overclock findings.

I'm currently overclocked to 900mhz max, and obviously as before, everything is very fast and responsive, but i have also noticed a noticable increase in battery life. I usually just about got 2 days out of my stock N900, my usage would be low enough, some browsing ovver wifi in the mornings, a few connections to wap throughout the day to check email and some IM, along with the usual few texts and calls. But now i'm getting up to 3 days out of it! And thats with the same light usage mentioned.
    Obviously if i start using heavy apps, or a lot of web browsing it will reduce it considerably, but it's a big difference.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

I might up mine to 900. I've had it set to 850 the last while.

It might be worth running the "top" command in terminal. This shows you the processes that are currently running. My N900 will idle with a couple of processes running at 1.2%, i have had trouble with apps before which would constantly run at ver 5% on idle which would kill the battery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭mwrf

LoGiE wrote: »
    I might up mine to 900. I've had it set to 850 the last while.

What theme is that? Looks nice

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭manster

cmd

anybody have the fMMs settings for o2 bill pay please?

I'm getting: "operation failed (101, 'Network is unreachable') Please check your settings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭not_xanthor

podge018 wrote: »
    anybody have the fMMs settings for o2 bill pay please?

I'm getting: "operation failed (101, 'Network is unreachable') Please check your settings.

http://wiki.maemo.org/Mms#O2_Ireland

Connection Name: O2 MMS POSTPAY
    Connection Type: Packet Data
    Access Point Name: wap.dol.ie
    User Name: user
    Password: user
    Prompt password at every login: Unchecked
    Use Proxy: checked (yes)
    HTTP Proxy: 62.40.32.40
    Port Number: 8080
    MMSC: http://mmsc.mms.o2.ie:8002
    Resize Image: Medium (320)
    Phone Number: (Your Phone Number)
    If you have problems with the settings above try

Access Point Name: internet
    User Name:
    Password:
    Prompt password at every login: Unchecked
    Use Proxy: checked (yes)
    HTTP Proxy: 62.40.32.40
    Port Number: 8080
    Resize Image: Medium (320)
    Phone Number: (Your Phone Number)

so is that a new connection I set up? Or do I edit the o2 IE Internet connection?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

Use fAPN to set up a new access point for o2 and use that one , dont edit your existing connections

okay, so I go into fMMS and hit settings

Internet connection - Settings

these are all the fields and how i have them filled:

Access point name: O2 mms postpay
    User name: User
    Password: User
    HTTP proxy: 62.40.32.40
    Port number: 8080

Advanced:

IP address 0.0.0.0
    Primary DNS address: 0.0.0.0
    Secondary DNS address: 0.0.0.0

Resize to: Medium

I try to send one and it times out on me.

when I check my connections there's one called MMS, do I try to connect to this? It keeps failing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭limklad

im thinking of going to the iDark side:D as well depending on what new mobiles 3 bring out,im using the n97 at the moment and have to say after all the crap with dodgy firmware updates the phone with new firmware is working well.

i might wait till this n9 comes out accoding to a website it could have a 64gb hardrive.
    I had an iPhone to play with for three months and always ended up back with the N900 (32Gb with 16GB microSD card). Even though that there was many apps available on the iPhone. Most are crap and many of those apps especially since they are, you can use directly with the browser on the N900 even games. There are better quality games on the iPhone but that due to paid apps on the iPhone. nearly 95% apps so far on the N900 are free.

Radio internet stations can be used via the media player on the N900. I used FM radio allot which has up to a minute delay which is annoying when at matches, when I usually like to hear commentary or at Rugby internationals the referee FM radio.

The keyboard and web experience was better with the N900 and more importantly, I prefer to be able to use a stylus. My fingers are too big to use the screen keyboard on the iPhone and I like to seeand feel what I and touching. I kept hitting more than one or the wrong key!! I prefer textile touch wihen pressing something small it has good touch feedback before pressing.

I even like using my N900 as a TV remote as I always know where my phone is, especially when I out at the pub I can lower an annoying TV or turn up the volume when something interesting is on such as a Match.

The N900 is more versatile than the iPhone, the downside is the battery capacity and the iPhone is better looking/feel on the hand. Also the N900 software UI, it still need a lot of refining and it is evolving, that will take time to improve. I would like to see multi-touch on the N900.
    I battery saving mode would be life saver, especially with the scree goes dark or is screen locked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭limklad

MICKEYG wrote: »
    Anyone know of an app that would allow you to use Microsoft Communicator on the N900?
    No for the Normal users.

Microsoft Communicator is available For Windows Mobiles and Java enable Phones only.
    http://mobile.microsoft.com/office/communicatormobile/en-us/default.mspx?au=manual&pc=true

N900 does not run Java officially. There is development work in progress by third parties.
    http://maemoarena.com/2010/05/nokia-n900-got-java-support-finally-and-also-opera-mini-demoed-in-n900/ .
    Please note the software is still in testing if you download them at your own risk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 john50765076

OneWayBet wrote: »

My update finally arrived on friday morning OTA, it took around 15 mins in total to install etc... Does anybody have an idea why it was delayed a month coming to me, would it be the fact that the phone could be an Asian version? Anyway there doesnt seem to have been worth the wait in any case! Anybody know when the rollercoaster game arrives on Ovi?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 john50765076

limklad wrote: »
    I had an iPhone to play with for three months and always ended up back with the N900 (32Gb with 16GB microSD card). Even though that there was many apps available on the iPhone. Most are crap and many of those apps especially since they are, you can use directly with the browser on the N900 even games. There are better quality games on the iPhone but that due to paid apps on the iPhone. nearly 95% apps so far on the N900 are free.

Radio internet stations can be used via the media player on the N900. I used FM radio allot which has up to a minute delay which is annoying when at matches, when I usually like to hear commentary or at Rugby internationals the referee FM radio.

The keyboard and web experience was better with the N900 and more importantly, I prefer to be able to use a stylus. My fingers are too big to use the screen keyboard on the iPhone and I like to seeand feel what I and touching. I kept hitting more than one or the wrong key!! I prefer textile touch wihen pressing something small it has good touch feedback before pressing.

I even like using my N900 as a TV remote as I always know where my phone is, especially when I out at the pub I can lower an annoying TV or turn up the volume when something interesting is on such as a Match.

The N900 is more versatile than the iPhone, the downside is the battery capacity and the iPhone is better looking/feel on the hand. Also the N900 software UI, it still need a lot of refining and it is evolving, that will take time to improve. I would like to see multi-touch on the N900.
    I battery saving mode would be life saver, especially with the scree goes dark or is screen locked.

How did you get the n900 operating tellys? I know there is an app there but i couldnt get it to work the telly (Sharp) or the UPC box

Alright lads, i'm having the weirdest problem with my N900's web browser and boards. For some unknown reason, i can't reply to posts. When i click reply, the phone will try to load th page, it will get half way ie. I can enter the title of my post, but the main body of the page, where you enter the text never loads?! The page just wont stop loading, for ages. Stress....

I haven't installed anything recently, but i did start a mass uninstall of apps just incase. No luck though, don't really want to have to re-flash...im running out of ideas though...

Alright lads, i'm having the weirdest problem with my N900's web browser and boards. For some unknown reason, i can't reply to posts. When i click reply, the phone will try to load th page, it will get half way ie. I can enter the title of my post, but the main body of the page, where you enter the text never loads?! The page just wont stop loading, for ages. Stress....

I haven't installed anything recently, but i did start a mass uninstall of apps just incase. No luck though, don't really want to have to re-flash...im running out of ideas though...

Maybe you might need to turn down the overclock back to 850 or lower - didn't you say you'd gone a bit higher? I saw someone on Maemo mention a problem with instability and reloading. Might be worth a try. I overclocked mine to 850 (ideal) - playing it safe really. I'm happy at that for now as I'm still very much a learner.

My update finally arrived on friday morning OTA, it took around 15 mins in total to install etc... Does anybody have an idea why it was delayed a month coming to me, would it be the fact that the phone could be an Asian version? Anyway there doesnt seem to have been worth the wait in any case! Anybody know when the rollercoaster game arrives on Ovi?

Glad you finally got sorted :) No idea why it took so long, but your own guess could be right.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

After loads of posts in this thread, and all the excitement of getting the n900, looks like im picking up my iPhone later on :o and porting to Vodafone See ya later guys!

anybody help with my fMMS settings up the page?

Also, I had the tv remote working for an hour or so, then it just decides not to work anymore, why would that be?

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭manster

Stee wrote: »
    After loads of posts in this thread, and all the excitement of getting the n900, looks like im picking up my iPhone later on :o and porting to Vodafone See ya later guys!

Don't forget to close the door on your way out!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bluefrog

How did you get the n900 operating tellys? I know there is an app there but i couldnt get it to work the telly (Sharp) or the UPC box

With a lot of patience I got it working with my Panasonic tv by choosing the most similar model from the lirc database - has anyone managed to get the phone talking to their UPC box as that would be a tad more useful...

Well i fixed it! I was going through my "installed apps" list and i realise3 i had installed a "microb spell checker" which messed everything up! I just uninstalled it and im back. Im glad@i was too lazy to reflash last night! It didmake me realise how awesomely easy opera is to use though!

Actually, here's a question, since pr1.2 you're able to long press a key on the keyboard to activate it's second function. Is it possible to change how long you have to press a key for? I'm finding that i get random numbers and symbols mid sentence sometimes!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

I didn't know that! Is there a difinitive list of changes made in PR1.2?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

LoGiE wrote: »
    I didn't know that! Is there a difinitive list of changes made in PR1.2?

http://wiki.maemo.org/Maemo_5/PR1.2#New_Features

Above link should help.

Right lads, here's the next update on my overclocking experience.

I had heard that setting the minimum clock speed to 500Mhz increases speed/responsiveness dramatically. So i decided i'd give it a go, tbh i was expecting it to be a big drain on the battery, but over the last 2 days, i haven't noticed much of a change at all in battery life! However there is a big improvement in responsiveness. The processor doesn't need to suddenly clock up every time you flick through a menu, so it's super smooth. And apps are quicker to open.
    I've set up a whole pile of desktop widgets that will change the clock speed on the fly, so once i tap one it will set the upper limit to say 900Mhz, and there are others for 1000Mhz, 850Mhz and 600Mhz. I also have two to set the minimum clock speed limits, one is set for 250Mhz and the other 500Mhz.

It's all very cool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

Right lads, here's the next update on my overclocking experience.

I had heard that setting the minimum clock speed to 500Mhz increases speed/responsiveness dramatically. So i decided i'd give it a go, tbh i was expecting it to be a big drain on the battery, but over the last 2 days, i haven't noticed much of a change at all in battery life! However there is a big improvement in responsiveness. The processor doesn't need to suddenly clock up every time you flick through a menu, so it's super smooth. And apps are quicker to open.
    I've set up a whole pile of desktop widgets that will change the clock speed on the fly, so once i tap one it will set the upper limit to say 900Mhz, and there are others for 1000Mhz, 850Mhz and 600Mhz. I also have two to set the minimum clock speed limits, one is set for 250Mhz and the other 500Mhz.

It's all very cool.

I have forgotten how to install the widgets. can you tell me how.

Advertisement