Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia N900

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Thor wrote: »
    I have forgotten how to install the widgets. can you tell me how.

Well you need to have installed the desktop command execution widget. And then you just add one of the widgets and add a new command. The command should be as follows:
    echo "echo 900000 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_max_freq" | sudo gainroot | echo ""

This will set the upper limit to 900Mhz.
    Once you have that entered, you'll need to make sure the widget is set to only update when you click on it, as by default it will update when the phone is booted, when the desktop you've put it on is selected etc etc.
    The code for setting the minimum limits is similar enough:
    echo "echo 500000 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_min_freq" | sudo gainroot | echo ""

This will set the minimum clock to 500. Again you'll have to make sure the widget only updates when you click on it, as it will screw it up if it starts trying to update everytime you select a particular desktop.
    It's dead handy really, you don't need to go to xterminal to change the limits, just a click of a widget!
    Love this phone!
    Does anyone have any other interesting/cool stuff, widgets etc etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

whoa...
    just installed easy debian - I can't believe how fast IceWeasle is :O
    How handy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭podge018

does anybody else's battery rattle inside when you move/shake the device a little? I now don't know if it was always like that or if it's only just happened? There doesn't seem to be anything wrong inside, just the battery doesn't fit as snugly as it could I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

Kinda getting a little bit fed up of my N900 lately, really disappointed the novely has worn off.

What's getting to me is, the maps application still hasn't been updated it's almost unuseable, the device is sluggish when it comes to using application manager. Media player is very basic, there are practically a handful of decent games and the emulation is no different to any other of my previous phones. (bar sluggish psx and the so-far-not-working dsemu.)

Also, the flakey portrait mode hack , just isn't good enough. The hardwares great, the browsing is the best I've tried on a mobile device and the messaging integration is still very good but it's just not enough.

Anyone recommend any other devices (really prefer hardware keyboard and I'm not really an iphone person). Or things I could try with my N900 to freshen it up?

Overclocking void the warranty?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

The hardware keyboard is the deal breaker for me still. Been toying with an iPhone 4 or Samsung Galaxy S but I am very concerned that I will miss the hardware keyboard too much.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭not_xanthor

funkyflea wrote: »
    Overclocking void the warranty?

If you have to send it back, you could always switch it back to normal speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Well you need to have installed the desktop command execution widget. And then you just add one of the widgets and add a new command. The command should be as follows:
    echo "echo 900000 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_max_freq" | sudo gainroot | echo ""

This will set the upper limit to 900Mhz.
    Once you have that entered, you'll need to make sure the widget is set to only update when you click on it, as by default it will update when the phone is booted, when the desktop you've put it on is selected etc etc.
    The code for setting the minimum limits is similar enough:
    echo "echo 500000 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_min_freq" | sudo gainroot | echo ""

This will set the minimum clock to 500. Again you'll have to make sure the widget only updates when you click on it, as it will screw it up if it starts trying to update everytime you select a particular desktop.
    It's dead handy really, you don't need to go to xterminal to change the limits, just a click of a widget!
    Love this phone!
    Does anyone have any other interesting/cool stuff, widgets etc etc?

Do you have the command to put into a widget to turn on and off overclocking?

matrim wrote: »
    Do you have the command to put into a widget to turn on and off overclocking?

Well i have loads of seperate widgets. One called "Max 850Mhz" which sets the max limit to 850Mhz. but to go back to stock, i just have one called "Max 600Mhz" which is the stock processor clock speed. And rebooting your N900 will return it to stock speeds also, as all the above commands are only temporary.
    It's just a handy way of setting your clock speed without having to go into xterm everytime!

If you wanted to completely remove the overclocking kernel you just use the "Deinstall Kernel" app.

Well i have loads of seperate widgets. One called "Max 850Mhz" which sets the max limit to 850Mhz. but to go back to stock, i just have one called "Max 600Mhz" which is the stock processor clock speed. And rebooting your N900 will return it to stock speeds also, as all the above commands are only temporary.
    It's just a handy way of setting your clock speed without having to go into xterm everytime!

If you wanted to completely remove the overclocking kernel you just use the "Deinstall Kernel" app.

More so what I mean is one that after a reboot will easily let me turn back on overclocking.

matrim wrote: »
    More so what I mean is one that after a reboot will easily let me turn back on overclocking.

Well...
    All the above does is create a widget on screen that overclocks the phone when you click on it. So you download an app called "Desktop command execution widget" and then create commands using the codes i have above.
    So what you will have after you do that is one or more "overclock" widgets. So when you turn on your phone, you can click on one of the overclock widgets and the phone will set new limits, and overclock itself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭Nephew

Is 16gb the biggest micro sd the phone can handle? Performance wise would I be better off with a smaller card as I find the phone becomes quite sluggish when I have over 20gb of media on the internal memory.

What command would allow the return to underclocked state? Rather than having to restart the device.

BTW 900mhz command works great :) thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭not_xanthor

Nephew wrote: »
    Is 16gb the biggest micro sd the phone can handle? Performance wise would I be better off with a smaller card as I find the phone becomes quite sluggish when I have over 20gb of media on the internal memory.

I thought it was 32, but i'm too cheap to invest in a card..... and without checking your post history, have you tried overclocking it?

What command would allow the return to underclocked state? Rather than having to restart the device.

BTW 900mhz command works great :) thanks

Well the standard clock rate it 600000hz, so just create a new widget just like the one i posted earlier, and replace 900000 with 600000, and that will return the device to the stock clock rate.

Ok so I've spent a few days getting close with my N900 again after I'd been doubting it's capabilities..

Came across an application called Mussogorsky..anyone tried it yet?
    It basically updates your album art and metadata for your mp3 files.. really handy now I must say. Gives you a list of your songs, click one that doesn't have an album art attached and it searches the net, brings back a list of recommended covers, just select one and it's applied instantly.

TweeGo.. great looking twitter application..very slick.. very simple to use.

MGutenberg
    ebook reader, links into the Gutenberg project so you can download books through the applicaton instantly.

PyCallblocker - block incoming calls specified in a blacklist.

Mobilehotspot - allows your N900 to be used as a wireless hotspot via wifi and your networks data connection.

Aside from hermes, all the emulators, transmission, firefox, fm boost/radio, fmms, bluemaemo can anyone recommend any other useful apps like these?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Aside from hermes, all the emulators, transmission, firefox, fm boost/radio, fmms, bluemaemo can anyone recommend any other useful apps like these?
    gPodder. Makes it a lot easier to subscribe to podcasts and download them. Allows you to sync up your podcast list on both the N900 and your desktop/laptop machines as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

TweeGo, works very well.
    Mobilehotspot,
    using it every day for my netbook over the 3 network.
    gPodder, yep love this app too, it's very handy! Got to get my GeekBeat fix!

• Registered Users Posts: 31 bernik12

Ok so I've spent a few days getting close with my N900 again after I'd been doubting it's capabilities..

It basically updates your album art and metadata for your mp3 files.. really handy now I must say. Gives you a list of your songs, click one that doesn't have an album art attached and it searches the net, brings back a list of recommended covers, just select one and it's applied instantly.

MGutenberg
    ebook reader, links into the Gutenberg project so you can download books through the applicaton instantly.

Mobilehotspot - allows your N900 to be used as a wireless hotspot via wifi and your networks data connection.

folks, where can I find Mussorgsky & tweego? I have Extras & Extra testing installed but can't find the apps for download. I'm no n900 whizz so don't want to venture into Extras Dev if that's where their stored.

MGutenberg

I prefer fbreader for ebooks

i just downloaded wormux, worms linux style. It's bloody fantastic!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭podge018

I've had the phone 4 months now and I'm disgusted with the lack of apps for this phone that aren't mind-numbingly mundane (spirit level, flashlight etc) or mind-numbingly geeky (^like those above^) that require a degree in Linux or whatever.

Is it ever going to be even a quarter as good as the iPhone for apps or should I just appreciate it as it is now?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

What specific functionality are you missing from it?

podge018 wrote: »
    Is it ever going to be even a quarter as good as the iPhone for apps or should I just appreciate it as it is now?

Can't think of anything off the top of my head that the iphone has and the N900 doesn't have..? App store might be better?

Mypaint program is actually very good also has anyone tried it, you can come up with some pretty decent paintings, there's loads of brush styles and they look great.

Thanks guys I forgot to mention I have gpodder which is pretty good too.

Has anyone tried loading Meego 1.0? It's probably really slow right so not worth using over Maemo.

Has anyone tried loading Meego 1.0? It's probably really slow right so not worth using over Maemo.

The only trouble with meego 1.0at the minute is that it is only the core. So when you boot into it, all you're going to have to look at is xterminal! So there is no user interface at all! That will be released in Q4 from what i've read.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭OneWayBet

podge018 wrote: »
    I've had the phone 4 months now and I'm disgusted with the lack of apps for this phone that aren't mind-numbingly mundane (spirit level, flashlight etc) or mind-numbingly geeky (^like those above^) that require a degree in Linux or whatever.

Sounds like the n900 isnt the right phone for you. Many people prefer the n900 for its flexibility in terms of hackability and that it has a physical keyboard and more memory than the iphone. The nitdroid Android port is moving quickly and will probably get thdere in a few months, then theres MeeGo coming in Q4 and more importantly the Qt development framework is available now so we should start seeing more apps coming onstream soon since Qt supports S60 and Maemo/Meego. if these dont interest you then I'd recommend selling your n900 while it's still worth a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bluefrog

The only trouble with meego 1.0at the minute is that it is only the core. So when you boot into it, all you're going to have to look at is xterminal! So there is no user interface at all! That will be released in Q4 from what i've read.

Actually the handset UI is out now - came out last week and its possible to run from an SD but as its very young even basic apps are not ready for it yet - definitely not ready for primary phone use.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

OneWayBet wrote: »
    Sounds like the n900 isnt the right phone for you. Many people prefer the n900 for its flexibility in terms of hackability and that it has a physical keyboard and more memory than the iphone. The nitdroid Android port is moving quickly and will probably get thdere in a few months, then theres MeeGo coming in Q4 and more importantly the Qt development framework is available now so we should start seeing more apps coming onstream soon since Qt supports S60 and Maemo/Meego. if these dont interest you then I'd recommend selling your n900 while it's still worth a bit.

I thought meego wasn't coming to the N900?

Bluefrog wrote: »
    Actually the handset UI is out now - came out last week and its possible to run from an SD but as its very young even basic apps are not ready for it yet - definitely not ready for primary phone use.

I thought the version from last week didn't fully support the N900 yet. It was for the avia(?) devices.
    I thought meego wasn't coming to the N900?
    An official build from Nokia isn't coming but as the N900 is being used as one of the meego development devices it should be unofficially \ community supported.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

OneWayBet wrote: »

This will be superb so long as they figure out an app manager that not only works but works well, because it doesn't do either these days

• Advertisement

Bluefrog wrote: »

Are you sure it's been released for users to download? From what i've been reading the UI version will be out later this year. Although i/e seen previews/videos of the meego UI for phones, i didn't think it had actually been released yet for users to test.

Advertisement